(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The S@nics - 1 (8-Bit) - Bridging The Generation Gap

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Ookalf wrote: 4 years ago For the record, Sonic does still have a tail.

How in Sam Fisher's ghost have I never noticed this
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

raocow eventually gets to the Adventure-era games and somehow fails to get all Chaos Emeralds despite them being completely unmissable.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

The Chaos Emeralds in Sonic Spinball are required.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

When I was little I found this game super average, and don't think my opinion's changed much on that end. It's fun overall, it just has some pretty rough aspects and was never as memorable to me as the Genesis ones or the later 8-bit entries.

also Raоcow
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Act 1 is not a level to watch in fullscreen with that flashing. Oof.

Also that final boss is almost kinda a fusion of Sonic 1's final boss with

Wacky Workbench's boss

. But, like, not as good.

Also also I propose naming the clone R'aocow, to make the name WAY COOLER LOOKING YEAHHH and sidestep the word filter with grace at the same time
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It's the DT3 warship!

I was confused by the title at first because "When the Night Comes Falling From the Sky" is very noticeably an '80s song, but then again Bob Dylan did have a lot of older material re-released with outtakes and alternate versions later on, so I guess that's what happened.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

And to this day, no one ever stole Sega's OC character
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

:/

anyway, i feel like the concept of sky fortress is more climatic than labyrinth 4 in 16 bit
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Interesting game. Never went through any of these ones fully since they didn't hook me in at the time. There's a good game here at times though. Looks like the only thing that changes if you have the emeralds is that dark cloud above the island goes away.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Saonics - 1 (8B-Bot) - Birdying The Generation Gup

Post by Awoo »

Oh, man, what a trip!

I really hope that raocow gets all the emeralds in Sonic 2 SMS/GG, since it's absolutely required for the final zone. Also dang that game is still tough. Can't believe I played it as much as a kid as I did, but then again things were way more simple back before this weird thing called the "internet"

Makes me wonder, since I have legit no idea, did other things like Sonic Chaos, Triple Trouble, and Tail's Sky Patrol get SMS versions? I know there's options in KFusion to play GG games in SMS screen size if nothing else so it's not so zoomed in.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Re: All The Saonics - 1 (8B-Bot) - Birdying The Generation Gup

Post by Super Llama »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Oh, man, what a trip!

I really hope that raocow gets all the emeralds in Sonic 2 SMS/GG, since it's absolutely required for the final zone. Also dang that game is still tough. Can't believe I played it as much as a kid as I did, but then again things were way more simple back before this weird thing called the "internet"

Makes me wonder, since I have legit no idea, did other things like Sonic Chaos, Triple Trouble, and Tail's Sky Patrol get SMS versions? I know there's options in KFusion to play GG games in SMS screen size if nothing else so it's not so zoomed in.
Sonic 1 & 2, the 8-bit versions of Mean Bean Machine and Spinball, Sonic Chaos and Sonic Blast all got Master System ports (though the Sonic Chaos one was Europe only and Sonic Blast was Brazil-only)
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Soaonics - 1 (80-Bat) - Birdying This Generator

Post by Awoo »

Super Llama wrote: 4 years ago
Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Oh, man, what a trip!

Sonic 1 & 2, the 8-bit versions of Mean Bean Machine and Spinball, Sonic Chaos and Sonic Blast all got Master System ports (though the Sonic Chaos one was Europe only and Sonic Blast was Brazil-only)
Oh, man, the 8-bit version of Spinball is seriously different. I'd completely forgotten that was even a thing.
Different enough to justify raocow playing it in addition to the Genesis one I imagine?
Let's find out together! :rao:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So this may have addressed already, but...I have a theory as to why the ratchet scrolling messed up in the Jungle Zone Act 2, with raocow dying in spots where he shouldn't have.

The Master System and the Game Gear are basically the same hardware, with the only major difference being the screen resolution (256 x 192 vs 160 x 144). This game was designed originally for the Game Gear, with Ancient (the developer) creating a Master System version on Sega's request. My guess is, this game was given a code copy-paste on the SMS version with only visual adjustments made to account for the better display size/resolution, along with some changes to compensate for the additional screen real estate (for example, the final boss is quite different in the GG version). For 90% of the game, this was okay to do. However, in Jungle Zone Act 2, its ratchet scrolling maintained the code parameters from the Game Gear version regarding what triggers a death in that particular stage. Because it was such a minor detail, it was likely just forgotten.

To put it in simple terms, if raocow were playing this game on the Game Gear, his deaths would've actually made some sense because Sonic would be below its screen threshold. Granted, it would be rather strict regardless, but it would still make sense in comparison to how it looked on the Master System.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

And now I just learned there are two different versions of Spinball
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

16 bit spinball is garbage and shit but 8 bit spinball is downright unplayable. that's the difference
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

Man, I haven't touched Spinball since I played my cousin's copy way back when. I have vague memories of liking the idea but finding it super frustrating due to the limited amount of the board you could see, and there being a lot of ways to get killed. Loved the idea, though.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago So this may have addressed already, but...I have a theory as to why the ratchet scrolling messed up in the Jungle Zone Act 2, with raocow dying in spots where he shouldn't have.
Strong flaw in your argument: the GG version does not have ratchet scrolling at all
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

If anyone wants to play Sonic Spinball because of good nostalgia, and doesn't have prescription strength rose tinted glasses that'll let you enjoy it regardless of its glaring flaws (I'm lucky enough to own such a pair), I just wanna recommend Yoku's Island Express. It's on PC and all the consoles. Pinball metroidvania, basically. Quite charming and lovely. Not very challenging, but a good 6-10 hour romp through lovely visuals, music and atmosphere with some genuinely good pinball "tables".
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

oh, this should probably go here now since gg aonic is the same as sms sonic

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

I can't believe raocow would do a completely blind jump into the abyss only for it to lead to where he needed to go for the chaos emerald and then not get it cause he barely missed a jump
this series is going to remove like 20 years from my lifespan :kood:
ImageImage
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago So this may have addressed already, but...I have a theory as to why the ratchet scrolling messed up in the Jungle Zone Act 2, with raocow dying in spots where he shouldn't have.
Strong flaw in your argument: the GG version does not have ratchet scrolling at all
Perhaps not, but raocow's deaths could only make sense if the devs coded it with a GG screen in mind.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

...no?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

acab

first demo, now sonic, why are all my idols being ruined
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

sonic has had voice acting since since 1991!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - WWSP - But, Like, For Real This Time alsoeraserwouldhavebeenalmosterasedfromhistory

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage