(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: All The Sanics - 1 - Dusting Doilies Since 1991

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I've been silently watching these videos, but since there seems to be a bit of a dilemma here, here's my thoughts on the issue. I like the one act per video thing, in part because I do find the joke funny, but also because it's nice to have some short videos. Three videos a day can be difficult to keep up with when each video is super long. One other thing that I feel is worth mentioning is that these are the easy beginning levels; I'm sure when raocow gets to some of the later levels videos will start to get a bit longer.

On the other hand I can see why some people would be concerned. Assuming each Sonic game would take about 20 videos each with the current method, Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles would take up around a quarter of a year by themselves. At that rate it would take over a year just to do all the 2D Sonics. In any case I probably won't mind switching to one zone per video, but my personal preference would be to remain with one act per video.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

personally, i like the short videos and would much prefer they videos stay short.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

Bean wrote: Said it on YT, but I'll say it here and try to condense it.

Personally, I do like the zone per video idea unless you have trouble with a particular act. There's no reason to do 20 minute videos for this. Nope. Maybe do it like the Mario stuff that way!

It's just that there are so many stages in these games that you'd be spending weeks on one game at a time when the Mega Mans were usually done at most within 10-19 days outside of a couple of exceptions. Right off the bat, Sonic 1 would last as long as your longest Mega Man series that didn't have a gaiden or two playthroughs!

I still want you to do it your way for the time being if that's what you really want to do though! I haven't seen as many comments as you apparently have against the format, so I hope you're holding up okay either way!
This is absolutely my belief, too. If a zone takes an especially long time (looking at you, Sandopolis), there's no reason to push to do both acts. But I think it should be just that; a measure to keep raocow from having to sit and record a very intense recording session where he's stressed because the act is being difficult.

I think it should be, best case scenario, a whole zone a day. If an act goes especially south? Obviously the guy can't control that, and we should respect that he's got a full plate and might need to decide "Alright Sandopolis act 2, be that way, I'll do it tomorrow."

But an act a day is gonna leave us on games for a VERY long time, and if it's just for a gag that gag is gonna wear thin fast.

And depending on how he does the recordings, if it's just "Hey there everyone" at the start of an act, but he hasn't stopped playing, it feel like it's EASIER for him than setting up, playing for a minute, cut, edit, post. Then repeat for the next act tomorrow.

Plus it brings us more in line with Mario-style "3 levels a day, assuming best case scenario"
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

The joke doesn't work for me, but I DO respect your commitment to a bit, as much as it sacrifices timeliness! I think I'd personally prefer a flexible 1-per-zone setup, especially as I'm not really watching the other playthroughs atm, but it wouldn't bother me if you stayed with your intention.

I feel like you can do both though by like, picking and choosing some games with relative short acts to do 1 per act and others to do 1 per zone. Like, say, keep up with 1 per act for Sonics 1 and 2, but for the rest of the Genesis, do 1 per zone. And then later on, there can be some more short video games. Maybe that would keep the joke fresh but not suffocating for those that don't like it. I dunno!
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago man I'm bummed that people see it as 'padding'. Like I get it but it's genuinely not what I'm trying to do :( I think this is genuinely funny but people just don't believe me.
problem is its a joke that lasts several days, and its the same punchline each time; "haha isnt this a short video?"

regardless, when im bored and want something to watch, a 1-3 minute video isnt exactly cutting it. Fortunately there's a All the megaman playlist and by the time im done with that this will likely have about 50 or so videos so i dunno, 2 hours of content?
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

This might go against the spirit of the “All the _” concept but it might be best to just decide how much you play based on a per-game basis. I mean, AtS was always going to be a longterm endeavor, but considering the sheer number of 2D Sonics you have to get through, and the fact that most of those levels will be on the short side, that’s a lot of time spent on not a lot of game progress. Compare that to the 3D Sonics, where hub world stuff + a full level could easily constitute a whole video.

Ultimately, it’s your decision, and I wouldn’t want you to make the switch unless you’re actually fine with doing it. I just think that at the current rate things might start to drag on after a year or two.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

I don't mind the idea of per act personally, but i do think the concept just falls apart when, well, acts stop being a thing. Like, really, I can't even imagine how many videos a game like Sonic Battle would have.

So really, i think the video format should depend on the game, and not the series' concept. Like, conceptually i find the joke of the series funny in the same way i found that one episode of Ninja Slayer where Ninja Slayer punches a dude for a solid 4 minutes of looping animation, but like I said in a previous post, 500 videos in, it's not gonna be funny- Impressive from the sheer dedication, perhaps, but few will still find it funny.

Ultimately like you said raocow, it's up to you. I think the only reason people have brought up their concerns is because of the noticeable flaws this plan has for the future of the series, and because it's a departure from norm, so please, excerise your best judgement raoman.
ImageImage
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

This entire project is an exercise in "doing the inadvisable". Even if he produced a 20 minute video every day, this project would still be absurdly large. He's kicking off a second LPing career to run alongside his first one, with a narrow focus.

And from the original idea (which I remember advising against) it's only scaled up. So my understanding now is that "holy shit this will take years" is part of the charm, part of the point. It's LPing crossed with performance art. This is a cumbersome thing to attempt, and doing it in a cumbersome way fits. It just feels more correct than trying to do an insane project in a sane way. That's the joke.

That said, I understand if raocow needs to compromise on that vision. Maybe you can't entirely ignore reality for the sake of Art. And while I'm pleased that this exists (I've gone from being against the idea entirely to being a definite fan), I usually only watch one LP video per day and it won't usually be this one, especially since I'm not interested in Sonic... so I'm not the relevant audience here. So maybe take my opinion above with a grain of salt.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I didn't really have any problems with one-video-per-act (I tend to enjoy shorter videos more, what with the daily release schedule), but do understand everyone else's concerns about it.

Ultimately, raocow should do what feels right to him, but I'll throw my hat in with the "decide how to handle each game on an individual basis" crowd.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

I'm 134 videos backed up at the moment.

As paradoxical as this sounds, I do (did?) enjoy the Single Act format since I can (could?) watch that on break.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Keep doing one act per vid if for no other reason than to spite the entitled whiny brats* that prompted the most recent video in the first place.

(*If you do not like one act per vid but are not a whiny entitled brat about it this obviously does not apply to you)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I just worry about fatigue and games like Chaotix where acts are literally the same stage copypasted with slight differences. That one's gonna be fun. At least the eye and ear candy will be there.

For shorter games and harder zones, go ahead with one act.

If all fails and the 06 emulation is still bad, there's always the fanmade PC port(s) you can try out. There's one that improves the gameplay and strives to make the game as close to not shit as it can be, and another one that's more of a straight conversion but fixes bugs and makes the game more playable. We'd miss out on the ~Koumei's Traps~ but we'd still have the rest of the game to make up for it.

Gistix's normal port
ChaosX's P-06 remaster

They're still unfinished but considering how long this will be...
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Sanics - 1 - Dust Hill Zone - Act 1

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago I just worry about fatigue and games like Chaotix where acts are literally the same stage copypasted with slight differences. That one's gonna be fun. At least the eye and ear candy will be there.

For shorter games and harder zones, go ahead with one act.

If all fails and the 06 emulation is still bad, there's always the fanmade PC port(s) you can try out. There's one that improves the gameplay and strives to make the game as close to not shit as it can be, and another one that's more of a straight conversion but fixes bugs and makes the game more playable. We'd miss out on the ~Koumei's Traps~ but we'd still have the rest of the game to make up for it.

Gistix's normal port
ChaosX's P-06 remaster

They're still unfinished but considering how long this will be...
Is Sonic Crackers/Stadium on the table to be played? It's only a short tech demo, but it's still a thing that's a thing.

At the least looking forward to Chatox's soundtrack. It's pretty jammin'
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I have a weird bit of nostalgia for Sonic White People and Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta because somehow my brother got access to those ROMs and I used to mess around with them as a kid.

It's because of that that I played Sonic 2 far later than 3&K and 1 (like a year or so? when I started using romsites, we legit thought that was the actual Sonic 2 because we were stupid). Chaotix would have to wait until I got my hands on Kega Fusion.

My brother messing about with romsites "scatterbrainedly" is also how I found out about Pokémon Diamond Keitai Denjuu Telefang 1
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Sanics - 1 - Dust Hill Zone - Act 2

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago I have a weird bit of nostalgia for Sonic White People and Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta because somehow my brother got access to those ROMs and I used to mess around with them as a kid.

It's because of that that I played Sonic 2 far later than 3&K and 1 (like a year or so? when I started using romsites, we legit thought that was the actual Sonic 2 because we were stupid). Chaotix would have to wait until I got my hands on Kega Fusion.

My brother messing about with romsites "scatterbrainedly" is also how I found out about Pokémon Diamond Keitai Denjuu Telefang 1
Hehe, the Simon Wai prototype. Used to know someone who was heavily involved with hacking it from Sonicretro ages ago. Long story, that...

I'm legitimately curious if there's any way for raocow to play the Sonic game ports for Android/iPhone, since don't they add a bunch of things like an actually finished Hidden Palace Zone to Sonic 2?
The sheer amount of Sonic 2/3+ prototypes and dev materials that are out there is staggering. I can't even imagine how long this project is going to go :catplanet:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Man, those people wanting their hedgehog series to progress faster. Like, what ever happened to it being non-negotiable, .

In my opinion don't change anything/do whatever you like.

If you feel the need to compromise for the sake of appeasing folks. I'd aim for 2-D sonic Zones to be separated into two videos Act One would usually contain the bonus level and then Act Two+the boss. Basically just stick the boss of the zone at the end of the act two video.
A few 2-D sonics have the boss fights take place at the end of a zone's act 2 instead of having a boss fight in act 3, so it's not too out of form.

I'd think this would cut out a sizable amount of extremely short boss fight only videos, while still keeping the general vibe of one act per video.

But, this is a journey. Like we're talking a Lord of the Rings walk-a-thon or Wheel-of-Time levels of obnoxious length. it's going to take a long time to get through it and it should be savored. I think people are just really used to 10+ minutes of daily content and just aren't used to the change in video length.
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - 1 - Dusting Doilies Since 1991

Post by Grounder »

and now the title is properly balanced

as all things should be :mrgreen:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

* raocow obtained the speed shoes.
* raocow ignores the weirdly protruding wall right next to it that you're meant to break for goodies.
* raocow idiotically does the tricky platforming segment that becomes way harder with the shoes on instead.

the real la-mulana starts here

bunnies are canonically named pocky
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I said the time to change your mind was Flicky and Rad Racer, raocow. I said it's too late now, you're married to the idea! Forever

Nah, just kidding, I don't care. Just accept the early installment weirdness you created with videos 3 and 4.
Forever...
Last edited by Sebby19 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Who has the most?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew

Post by DinnerSonic »

The positive of a "One Zone Per Video" format is that I won't run out of Interesting Versions Of The Day's Music for every Sonic 1 Act 3. Still, I at least got this for today's, if not an official arrangement.

Beautiful, isn't it?

We're only three Green Hill Zones in, and we've already got raocow doing some physics tricks for rad jumps to get optional goodies! Here's hoping for weird jump tricks in Sonic Adventure with its odd spindash... that, or funny botched attempts that send Sonic off into the ocean.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago
i wish the retsupurae crews did more sonic lps

the mario vids were some of the best
DinnerSonic wrote: Here's hoping for weird jump tricks in Sonic Adventure with its odd spindash... that, or funny botched attempts that send Sonic off into the ocean.
dumb shit like that is why i love sa1 so much holy shit (also glitch hunting)

will sonic adventure make for a good raocow lp???? stay tuned......
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Sonics - 1 - Mobius Strip

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
Leet wrote: 4 years ago
i wish the retsupurae crews did more sonic lps

the mario vids were some of the best
DinnerSonic wrote: Here's hoping for weird jump tricks in Sonic Adventure with its odd spindash... that, or funny botched attempts that send Sonic off into the ocean.
dumb shit like that is why i love sa1 so much holy shit (also glitch hunting)

will sonic adventure make for a good raocow lp???? stay tuned......

I'm super super looking forward to when raocow plays the Casino level with Sonic for the first time. NiGHTS Pinball and even the other table are some of the most nostalgic areas in that game for me, as well as E-102's entire story.

Big the Cat's fishing should be super fun to see, too! Can't wait to see how raocow fairs with it. I assume he will be going in totally blind, the anticipation!

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Many of the western names for the various creatures and combatants of the game came from game tester and Sega help line employee Dean Sitton, including such badniks as Buzzbomber and Ball Hog (called Beeton and Ton-ton in the original Japanese version, respectively).

However, his greatest contribution was penning the name Dr. Ivo Robotnik. It was selected out of a list of other names like Dr. Badvibes, Doctor X, Doctor Gloom, Dr. What, Mister Badwrench, Mr. Bad Year" and Fatty Lobotnik, and many more. Even the first name, "Ivo," was suggested by Sitton, pronouncing the name with a soft "I" to make it sound closer to the word "evil."