(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Journey Of Omochao, Everyone's Favorite - SA² - Wow, That Was Scary. I'm Going Home To Watch TV!

Post by Crow »

BEECA
DAEDE
CBCAA
DBBBB
EABEA
CBDCC
CEAAD
DCBDD

excited for Yet Another Mech Stage tomorrow, the ones that are Always Boring in mission mode tbh
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: All The S@nics - SA² - eggman is literally voldemort now i guess

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

As someone who's used to going for A ranks, seeing raocow come to an enemy with several pieces that can be locked onto and only locking onto one or two of those pieces hurts to watch. Not that there's anything wrong with that; it's more that it reminds me of the times I've accidentally done so myself.

Also I forgot that they gave Eggman the ability to attack outside of his mech for the sole purpose of causing harm to your chao. I would have laughed if raocow accidentally hit one of the chao with that swipe that he did.

Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Don't know what kind of oranges you're eating, raocow.
ImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

boy howdy this level sure is there

i genuinely don't know what they were thinking with this bare bones nothing of a level. it has no unique gimmick to it, unless you really stretch to count all the sitting-around bots as a gimmick. it's really the only mech stage in the game i can think of that's this cut-and-dry, even the tails ones (which were probably cobbled together later in development) have a lot more going on than this one and the fact that it's also so much shorter than any other mech level doesn't help matters either
LunarRainbowShyGuy

raocow: "Can I just like go above here?"
Eggman: "No!"

I thought this moment was pretty funny. And after spending some time, it's all I can think to say about this video. This level really is just kind of there, which is a kind of level I often find myself enjoying, but by definition there isn't really anything to say about them.

CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

"level is just kinda there" describes almost every mech level in this game
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Crow

Post by Crow »

i think every other mech level has at least enough of a gimmick to stand out
iron gate/prison lane have their door mechanics and also the benefit of being first impressions
sand ocean is a total bastard until you get the hover and is kind of the hardest eggman stage ngl
lost colony has its darkness gimmick and it's likely the first space level you've played in the game (was it just me who alternated back and forth between both stories as a kid)
mission street has its weird city escape/radical highway fusion going on and a lot more platforming than the previous mech stages
hidden base has an evolving atmosphere and a few repeated mechanics like the doors and vertical rooms
eternal engine is eternal engine
cosmic wall is cosmic wall

weapons bed has. piles of inactive enemies. that's about it
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

honestly all valid, i just find most of them boring structurally regardless of the individual standout traits they have, with yeah eternal engine and cosmic wall being the exceptions
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Crow

Post by Crow »

yeah they are definitely the weakest gameplay style i won't argue there

& having so many of them frontloaded in the timeline playthrough isn't helping either - either prison lane or security hall is next and i'm guessing raocow is going to pick prison lane first, so that'll be the 5th of 9 total mech stages done within the first 10 stages of this replay
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

guess what i love the piles of inactive enemies
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow

Re: Journey Of Omochao, Everyone's Favorite - SA² - Wow, That Was Scary. I'm Going Home To Watch TV!

Post by Crow »

BEECA
DAEDE
CBCAA
DBBBB
EABEA
CBDCC
CEAAD
DCBDD
EBBEE

the scoring system kind of makes sense and it helps that almost every level can be reasonably done in under 5 minutes - the only two that aren't are cosmic wall (which is piss easy tbh) and cannon's core (which saves your score between segments even if you die, rendering its length a non-issue)

scoring is completely optional anyways and the game expects you to get good at it if you really want to get those A ranks all the time
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Thinking about it, I feel like this level's gimmick is supposed to be having enemies ambush you, although it clearly isn't enough to make it stand out, given that a whole bunch of people, including myself, classified it as 'a level that just kind of exists'. At least hard mode expands upon this idea, with enemies seemingly lurking around every corner. Also, while watching this video I suddenly felt a strange sense of nostalgia from, of all things, the enemy right after the last checkpoint that flies up and down in a wavelike motion. I don't know why that enemy sticks out in my mind so much, but as soon as I saw it I thought "oh hey, it's that guy!".

I feel like the game resetting your score after dying is reasonable; getting A ranks seems like it's meant for people that have mastered the game, and if you're dying in levels you clearly haven't mastered it yet. Maybe they could do something like making it so that if you die you keep your score but can only get a maximum rank of B, but if you're going for a high rank you're probably going for an A, so such a feature would be rather pointless.

Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 3 years ago Thinking about it, I feel like this level's gimmick is supposed to be having enemies ambush you, although it clearly isn't enough to make it stand out, given that a whole bunch of people, including myself, classified it as 'a level that just kind of exists'. At least hard mode expands upon this idea, with enemies seemingly lurking around every corner. Also, while watching this video I suddenly felt a strange sense of nostalgia from, of all things, the enemy right after the last checkpoint that flies up and down in a wavelike motion. I don't know why that enemy sticks out in my mind so much, but as soon as I saw it I thought "oh hey, it's that guy!".

I feel like the game resetting your score after dying is reasonable; getting A ranks seems like it's meant for people that have mastered the game, and if you're dying in levels you clearly haven't mastered it yet. Maybe they could do something like making it so that if you die you keep your score but can only get a maximum rank of B, but if you're going for a high rank you're probably going for an A, so such a feature would be rather pointless.
Sonic Generations, in fact, prevents you from getting an S-Rank if you die, even if you had enough points to technically get it. I think it's pretty neat, because it allows you to see that you were doing each segment correctly, but need to string them together without failing for the coveted best rank.
Crow

Post by Crow »

yeah in a lot of recent sonic games you get +1 rank as a "no death bonus" basically so it's required for S rank. i think that's been around since like unleashed? could be wrong
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

99 lives? yes

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

I find the third mission here somewhat interesting, since you don't directly need the Mystic Melody to find the chao, but you do need it to get the Treasure Scope, which you then have to use to reveal the spring that leads to the chao. Also, I was sure that the spring was under those boxes, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe they changed that in SA2 Battle? Or maybe this is just a case of me misremembering things.

Also, I find it kind of funny that the positions of the Chaos Emeralds are randomized. I can just imagine the conversation:
"Hey boss, where should I put these Chaos Emeralds?"
"Eh, it doesn't matter. Just throw them anywhere."

Crow

Post by Crow »

BEECA
DAEDE
CBCAA
DBBBB
EABEA
CBDCC
CEAAD
DCBDD
EBBEE
CADAE

the hard mode that tried. but there's nowhere to hide anything in this barren, obviously-cobbled-together-last-minute level (seriously - this entire level's structure is from iron gate exactly, just with a floor and the safes added alongside some obstacles i guess lol)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Again, shouldn't Rouge know exactly where the emeralds are?

Does GUN not know the plan is to sacrifice the base?

Either Rouge is really bad at her job, or one of her superiors is asleep at the wheel, here.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Watching these hard mode missions as someone who hasn't played them in ages is an interesting experience. I have basically no memory of what's changed, but my memories are clearly buried deep in my mind somewhere, because as I watch raocow play through these missions the memories come rushing back to me. For instance, as soon as I saw the first Emerald here I immediately knew how to get it.

kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Finding skulls in the sealed vaults of a paramilitary group's base is incredibly unsettling. Like orders of magnitude more so than digging them out of archaeological sites.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Really wasn't expecting that video description.
ImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

BEECA
DAEDE
CBCAA
DBBBB
EABEA
CBDCC
CEAAD
DCBDD
EBBEE
CADAE
CBEBB

metal harbor tomorrow, i guess? should be a good time
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"I'm sure you can use them more than once." it's been 100+ vids of the sonic adventures
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

One thing I find neat about Prison Lane is that there's a good amount of stuff to explore when you come back with some upgrades. For instance, you can make a staircase out of the boxes near the beginning once you have the ability to destroy metal boxes, and some of the more open areas have places you can only reach by hovering.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing how raocow handles the upcoming hedgehog stages, given that so far they've given him a good deal of difficulty.

Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Sonic getting stuck on invisible walls, visible walls and even ramp lips is exactly why later Sonic games just script these sequences and do NOT just assume "eh, we put a booster and a spring there, our Very Good Physics will do the rest".

Sadly, they didn't learn that lesson until after Sonic 06, a game with Very Good Physics indeed