(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Re: All The S@nics - CD - ...The Problem's Chronic!

Post by Kleetus »

I think the NA boss theme would have worked perfectly well if it only played in the bad future. In the good future, the eerie dissonant sound just doesn't work with the bright colours.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow if you need this tomorrow:

to get to the machine you have to get crushed by a random crusher in the middle of the level

i promise i am not making this up.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Crow

Post by Crow »

I should not be the least bit surprised that raocow raocow'd the machine in this zone
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

oh man arbitrary nonsense secrets that go against common video game sense sure are wacky
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ugh, I hate this zone. That dang bounce floor (when its ON, which is most of the time), make navigating this level almost impossible. Because then you usually have to trudge all the way back down to progress, or find the good stuff.

Interesting that it inverts the standard Sonic level design, where the top path is the fastest and most rewarding, and falling off punishes you with the lower paths.

Still, ugh this zone. I lost a lot of time and lives thanks to this, most of them to Robotnik. I barely avoided a Game Over here, but it guaranteed I didn't survive the next Zone.
And that's as far as I got into this game. Frikkin Workbench.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

In Act 1 of Wacky Workbench there is a secret room which is just under the first "Past" sign and can be accessed by the curved incline, but only in the Past and Bad Future.

In the Past, Sonic can roll or jump into the wall leading into the small room, to be greeted by a stone temple with an angel statue. In the statue is a fountain of rings that will replenish every time Sonic leaves the temple.

In the Bad Future, the whole temple is gone; the secret room is just a statue of Doctor Robotnik. Sonic can destroy the statue, but this will trigger a trap which will rain bombs upon the hooligan Sonic.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Everything about this looked like a chore to play
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The concept of this level is to avoid going up whenever you can or you'll have to backtrack all the way down, and all the while, you have to watch out for those electric dealios that intermittently fire up. It's garbage, and the next part of this place isn't that much better. I just don't mesh well with this one. Comes off as a chore more than anything.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Ahhh, Wacky Workbench, home of the crushers that aren't actually crushers. It's really stupidly designed. Pretty much the only reason I managed to figure out how the crushers work is because I accidentally got smushed by one near the beginning of the level (the one above the Past sign raocow passed at around 1:02) and managed to connect the dots that that was probably how you were supposed to get to the machine.

But man, this level is really annoying to play. I tried doing a casual speedrun of this game but got so frustrated at Wacky Workbench that I just quit. The music is really the only saving grace of the place.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Well, now I know where Mania's amendments to Flying Battery come from: this hot garbage
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Growing up, I only ever got to play Sega consoles at my cousins' house, which in retrospect works out since it seems like the early zones of Sonic games are pretty consistently the most appealing parts to me.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Oh man, this zone. To be fair, raocow seemed to have a good time with it, so that's nice. Also, his Mr. Magoo-ing didn't hurt.
ImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The S@nics - CD - ...The Problem's-attic

Post by Awoo »

The graphics and (original) music are pretty much the only redeeming things about this zone as far as I'm concerned. I always tried my absolute damnedest to make sure that I had all the time stones by the time I reached this zone, else I'd pretty much just stop playing -_-

Woo Act 1 down
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

10204307 wrote: 4 years agoThe music is really the only saving grace of the place.
And even that they forgot to loop properly so it just ends and restarts after a few seconds of silence
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

That's a problem with all of the (non-past) music in the original version of the game. It was fixed in the 2011 re-release.
Crow

Post by Crow »

10204307 wrote: 4 years ago Ahhh, Wacky Workbench, home of the crushers that aren't actually crushers. It's really stupidly designed. Pretty much the only reason I managed to figure out how the crushers work is because I accidentally got smushed by one near the beginning of the level (the one above the Past sign raocow passed at around 1:02) and managed to connect the dots that that was probably how you were supposed to get to the machine.
some of the crushers are actually crushers that will kill you though, i believe

because, you know nyoro~n
Crow

Post by Crow »

raocow: *passes the machine twice, once at high speed, the second time at a very slow walk* i don't know where the machine is

oh, cow. i'm sure most of these 12 minutes are going to be spent wandering around only to end up back at the start, correct? i haven't watched past the first like, minute yet, so
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

hooray we're almost out of the most sonic cd zone

also @ the spinny things, worth noting is that they behave how a lot of similar things behave in future titles: namely, sonic moves in the direct he's moving when you press the button

i.e. since sonic's moving right while rotating "under" the beam, he'll go right if you jump off then, otherwise he'll go left because he's moving left while rotating "over" the beam

it's actually completely logical once you catch onto it - he's releasing his "grip" from the spinny thing, and subsequently launches off with the momentum he already has
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hmm, how many opportunities does raocow have to get all the time stones? I think he can only afford to miss one, though I don't know how many areas are actually left.

So far, we've had my favorite boss in the game, followed by the worst designed boss in the game, and tomorrow, my most hated boss.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The S9nics - CD - ...The Problem's Chronicles

Post by Awoo »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Hmm, how many opportunities does raocow have to get all the time stones? I think he can only afford to miss one, though I don't know how many areas are actually left.

So far, we've had my favorite boss in the game, followed by the worst designed boss in the game, and tomorrow, my most hated boss.
If I remember correctly, there are only 4 more levels left that he can get time stones in. It's been a while since I played this game in depth though.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If it helps raocow, I couldn't hear AC.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

rao apologizing instinctively like a true canadian stereotype.

His Workbench? Wack.
ImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I don't know why I struggled so much against Robotnik in this fight as a kid. May e I got crushed by the floor bits, and maybe fell down too much.

We are also missing the great dark atmosphere of the Bad Future zones. It really fits the boss music.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Crow

Post by Crow »

this is one of the two boss fights that actually tries, lol

4 hits! we have surpassed 3 hits!

the next boss is the hardest tho

also huge shoutout to the dance robotnik does while his machine is blowing up

/(ಠ益ಠ/)

(\ಠ益ಠ)\

/(ಠ益ಠ/)

(\ಠ益ಠ)\
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The S€nics - CD - ...The Problem's Chronicles of Narnia

Post by Awoo »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago We are also missing the great dark atmosphere of the Bad Future zones. It really fits the boss music.
I kind of prefer the bad future(s) for both Wacky Workbench and

Metallic Madness

Wacky Workbench's bad future original music has that seriously awesome klaxon at the beginning, and it's just so cool looking, especially with the dark palette.

Metallic Madness also has neat music with the cool synthetic voice telling you that you can't do anything. Don't even try.

Besides, it always felt more to me like a true final zone, similar to the Death Egg from either Sonic 2 or 3 or even something like Electric Egg Zone from Sonic Chaos

For every other zone I prefer the good future, though they bad futures can have some seriously jammin' tunes.

Stardust Speedway's has that siren too, that gives a sense of panic. Don't ever drive while playing that, I tend to speed like a mofo whenever I listen to it while driving

Of course all the music things I'm saying don't apply much to the current lp since I'm far, far less familiar with the US soundtrack.

honestly if there's a single track I like almost more than the original, it's the special stage music, and *maybe* Sonic Boom. I'd still take Toot Toot Sonic Warrior though.

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image