(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: Something The Hodgepodge - the gimmick is in the thread op this time

Post by Mata Hari »

Welp time to wrap it up raocow, some dude in the comments realized you are yourself a knockoff of one 'Matt McMuscles'

idk who that is
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

a2mt wha happun when?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 2 years agoImage
Oh wow. Took a look at the channel of the person who posted those two long comments. Wasn't expecting a conservative YT superstar wannabe, but here we are.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

raocow wrote: 2 years ago Image
damn that's it raocow's lping career is over

it was a good run

That comment gave me a good laugh
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Kind of a shame that it popped up on what was the most fun of the five games in the series you've done so far.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Wow, I just glanced at the comments on the video and saw the followup, which is also pretty incredible.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

this is gold but also it makes me feel old that there are stupid kids young enough to have never seen or experience the early LP format :monstrosity:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

It's neither Gemini nor Pisces, it's Cancer.

Also, it's a game named Oscar where you go into movies and collect statues. I appreciate the wordplay but I don't get where the main character's design comes in.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago Image
good
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

My impression of Oscar is that he embodies that '90s? possibly also early '00s? phenomenon where characters who look ugly and fart and stuff were marketed to kids. I don't remember specifics; I just remember being a small child thinking "ew" and that I would rather play/watch/eat/etc something represented by a cool and not gross character whenever I would see an advertisement for something with that esthetic.
Cyril wrote: 2 years ago this is gold but also it makes me feel old that there are stupid kids young enough to have never seen or experience the early LP format :monstrosity:
Let's Play used to be one of my topics of choice for "what's a thing you can go on and on about on a whim" until several years ago, when I realised that the contemporary definition of LP is face-cam streamers and I'm the one who hasn't gotten with the times. It's like a fan of classic rock talking about how they consume just "rock". :mgmn:
camwoodstock wrote: 2 years agooh hey speaking of, one time i translated it into Vötgil.
HeyBrkKodrerPrsFukrer
DisNem Matt Furniss
ÐisPlwÐytGry
CifYwnKodBrkÐisGem
NuyWilFidYwn
NuyWilFidWuzYwn
WimPlwYwnHavPwt
VanBrkYwnFwtLimsis
VanÐatSumSeyWilVizTcw
This got a fart button because.. I mean, man, Vötgil of all things. That's some dedication.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

welp

so much for the revised list, enjoy an early socket instead of oscar

(edited this post a bit)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I was so bewildered at how garbage Pachio was that I had to look up what the fuck Coconuts Japan did and lo and behold it's just pachinko and gambling simulators, sports games and a bunch of miscellanea on the PSX.

I think I heard of them on like Jeremy Parish's Virtual Boy Works on like the Space Squash episode and iirc it's also complete garbo. They apparently did an entire Pachio-kun series but most of them just seem to be just pachinko simulators, which as far as I'm aware, only really serves to practice for irl pachinko machines, or watching the funny balls go down the holes.

Which if you're marketing gambling dens run by the yakuza to children with a cutesy mascot, I hope you fucking die?

If you're curious Action Pachio also seems to have been developed by C-Lab who has a strange track record because not only did they produce AP, but they also did Rusty on PC98, basically ecchi Castlevania (no nudity), Totsugeki! Mix on PC98, which I heard controls a bit worse but is still interesting, and a Game Boy version of Money Idol Exchanger, which they seemingly had a hand on in the development of the Arcade Archives port of the Neo Geo version?

Other games I've recognized are Seiken Psycho Caliber, a Famicom Disk System action RPG that I heard is weird and jank, and Love Quest, a parody SNES JRPG where iirc you try to hook up with women. That's the most I know of it, I want to play it, since it has a reputation as a bakage (stupid game), but y'know, no info on the English internet. I'm expecting it to be an E10+ version of like Leisure Suit Larry, replace Graphic Adventure with JRPG and make it jankier.

Anyway I guess what explains Action Pachio the most is like. It's a soulless cashgrab made to get children into weird gambling simulators because Capitalism and as a result they might have rushed and/or not given C-Lab enough budget to do it because. Rusty is actually pretty cool from what I heard. I haven't played it yet, shocking coming from myself, a retro Japanese PC enthusiast.
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow be glad you didn't the snes version of oscar
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

God I have not played Bubsy in A While, but I remember this one player model dev for the ol' BlitzSonic engine, when people still messed around on test levels instead of using it to make tech demo fangames that never get past pre-alpha unless they're Sonic World, making a Bubsy player and a Cheese Wheels of Doom inspired stage, which got me to try it out and.

Christ. This game has very pretty graphics and good music, despite thinking Bubsy is the least attractive catman I have seen ever, speaking as a literal catman fucker. And, hoo boy that momentum. What kills the game for me is literally just the fucked up inertia and the 1 hit kill, it's so agonizing why the fuck they decided 1 hit kills were a thing. Like, was it so the 9 lives had purpose? Why not just give him normal lives and a health bar + pickups like some jank Amiga game?

The most fucked up part is that. You also have fall damage from falling too high? Literally, you fall too high and Bubsy just turns into a pancake when he lands and you lose a life like. It's completely insane how, no thought was placed into this, so much emphasis was placed on the 'tude and cartoonishness that people forgot how to make a good game, and stuff like this is very much the calling card of like C list western devs. Focus all on presentation or marketing and forget about the gameplay, as seen with like the amount of garbage western shovelware that inundates the MegaDrive library.

It hurts a lot because Western devs have done and can do good things like Jazz Jackrabbit, Baldur's Gate, Flashback, Ecco the Dolphin. But then you have the Activisions and EAs of this side of the world who treat video games less like art and more like get rich quick schemes, and as it has recently come out, treat their employees like an abusive gaslighting mother mishandling her children.

That's what makes me the most mad about western devs because they can do such good and beautiful things, but the suits and shareholders only care about money. Asian devs have similar issues but outside of like Tencent, Sega, Konami, etc, they seem to put game quality as a high priority. It's why, while the 7th gen of games, PS3, 360 and Wii had a lot of stunning, beautiful games, I detest its environment for being what ended up pushing AAA greediness to the forefront of game development, which only gets worse with each generation.

man this was about bubsy wasn't it
SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago raocow be glad you didn't the snes version of oscar
give me the deets, how did they fuck it up
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago raocow be glad you didn't the snes version of oscar
give me the deets, how did they fuck it up
just compare the music

it ranked 5 on snesdrunk's worst 13 snes soundtracks
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

oh god the huge cat man... havoc has some bizarrely hot cat men for some ungodly reason, bless data east
i honestly like this game but i never beat it, the graphics and music are especially beautiful. too bad it's apparently Chaotically Hard, i think i stopped the level after

also lol @ the person calling it kaizo in the comments like. the only instance i've seen a 16bit platformer approach kaizo is megaman & bass, and if they're calling kaizo "unfair hard" then they don't know what kaizo is like outside of like protonjon videos from 2008
SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago just compare the music

it ranked 5 on snesdrunk's worst 13 snes soundtracks
no offense to snesdrunk but bushi seiryuuden has more jarring music (which still works for its context mind you)

i remember near (rip) also mentioning granhistoria being an absolute stinker, but for me i feel like what i've listened so far seems to sort of work as ambient sounding songs, see: evergrace's fever dream tier marketplace theme which works as a hectic marketplace theme

i'm not a composer nor do i know music theory i'm just going by my taste in music, which is Weird As Fuck
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

four minutes on the goddamn manual. christ

all i know about oscar is that people dislike it heavily. i've seen oscar used as the mascot for a "your daily scrimblo bimblo" twitter that i'm not even sure is still active and yeah he has extreme scrimblo bimblo energy, just needs grossly detailed cartoon eyes. like i don't know if it's from me being the local jrpg messiah but i am very picky when it comes to scrimblo bimblo and a lot of it is due to a lot of western gamedevs being terrible at furry design.

thankfully thousands of furries have infiltrated gamedev studios at this point so we get cute and hot furries and scrimblos now.

and it's like furries who do good art too, back in the 80s, 90s, early 2000s there was a lot of weird furry art with bizarre proportions, anatomy, artstyles, people doing fetish art with like, warner bros. style designs and it was extremely jarring. i was a furry since like 2009/2010, thanks to digimon reruns and encyclopedia dramatica but like. you do not believe the jump in quality from like my times perusing e621 in like 2011 and my time being dmed good furry art by a friend (not all of it is his) on discord like the past week.

there is a lot of like. beginner, amateur artists, as there always will be, i am one myself, but it feels like furry as a whole has evolved in terms of artistry and it makes sense that people are asking for high prices for artwork at this point. even if you felt it wasn't that great, a piece of art by a freelancer still takes hours, days sometimes weeks to complete. and. that's honestly pretty beautiful.

like a lot of people are usually drawing like, shadow eating sonic or whatever, but, furries have managed to create a nice ecosystem where most of the time people usually get their monies' worth out of a commission and it's usually of really nice quality, and if the artist is okay with it or specializes with it, it can be of your weirdest fucking desires which is rad.

i will say that there are a lot of issues in the furry fandom, like legit illegal stuff, but the fact people have managed to create a massive, worldwide, queer friendly space, that hasn't been scooped up by Capitalism is a good enough feat. honestly it makes me want to draw more, i'm just usually too depressed to do so :c

then again it's not like anyone is gonna draw lions in my. "interests". lion furries are only interested in muscle pics

oh yeah this was about oscar,

uhhhhhhhhh i guess what you could say about zool also applies here, jank 2d collectathon, but it's not outright buggy
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

anyway

oscar's voice does not fit him at all

way too composed and deep
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Hey are zpol and oscar supposed to have music in the levels? It feels like they are.
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

strongbadman wrote: 2 years ago Hey are zpol and oscar supposed to have music in the levels? It feels like they are.
In the case of Zool, no, except yes kind of. The amiga is incapable of playing many sounds at once so you basically have to choose to either have soundeffects or music. Oscar might or might not have a similar option, I didn't bother checking.

Zool got some really good tunes:

fart.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Duker wrote: 2 years ago
strongbadman wrote: 2 years ago Hey are zpol and oscar supposed to have music in the levels? It feels like they are.
In the case of Zool, no, except yes kind of. The amiga is incapable of playing many sounds at once so you basically have to choose to either have soundeffects or music. Oscar might or might not have a similar option, I didn't bother checking.
as a jPC nerd, this is incredibly sad.
Image Image
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Meanwhile: In the mountains of Kamura, where the dragons are muddy and the bugs are wiry...