(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - ℝ - Can YOU Feel The Sunshine?

Post by Grounder »

General gameplay tip that rao may have noticed today.

Maximizing your airtime around tricky turns in open areas is pretty much always a good idea, whether it be to mitigate the difficulty or in some cases bypass it entirely.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I'm actually pretty impressed with you managing to beat Metal in a fair race, even with how many troes it took. I always abused Knuckles and his glide ability. That lake that you go around at the beginninv can just be glided straight over, and you end up with a half-track lead on Metal that you can just repeat each lap if the poor robot ever manages to catch up.

As for that Gems remix posted above, I can't hear that without thinking of the Tails Doll boss fight from the Eggman Hates Furries fangame. Despite the name, it's actually an amazing massive boss rush with a slightly grittier art style than the official games, and more than a couple epic moments.
Eggman finally decides to give up on using the Chaos Emeralds to power a machine after Sonic methodically dismantles the latest one piece-by-piece, and just uses them directly to become Super Eggman. Tails has to tear into him with a massive minigun from a stolen Eggman ship to get him to drop the Emeralds and you get a fairly awesome Super Sonic vs. Super Eggman battle. Tails gets injured from the battle, and the finale is trying to carry Tails to safety while Eggman uses what Chaos energy he has left to come back from the dead and continue trying to kill the duo while completely invincible.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

This LP is going to be confusing with this game having both coins and rings.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago oh god the draw distance is way worse than I remember. Did the Gems Collection port just fix things up a bunch?
I was wondering this myself, so I started up my copy of the game, and I can confirm that the draw distance is way better on the Gems Collection version. I also couldn't resist playing through the entire game again. I feel like what raocow said about not trying to get the emeralds and coins all in one run is a good idea. I tried doing that when I was playing and it's not easy.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years ago
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago oh god the draw distance is way worse than I remember. Did the Gems Collection port just fix things up a bunch?
I was wondering this myself, so I started up my copy of the game, and I can confirm that the draw distance is way better on the Gems Collection version.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Gem ... evelopment
The Windows versions of Sonic CD and Sonic R were used in Sonic Gems Collection.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

So from what I remember, now that you've unlocked Metal Sonic,

Metal Sonic will replace Sonic in Grand Prix races from here on out (unless you're playing as Sonic, or playing as Metal Sonic yourself, of course).

So yeah, the game actually gets harder as you unlock the secret characters which is...fair, I guess? Since you have to basically learn the courses inside out to get those characters in the first place.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 4 years ago So from what I remember, now that you've unlocked Metal Sonic,

Metal Sonic will replace Sonic in Grand Prix races from here on out (unless you're playing as Sonic, or playing as Metal Sonic yourself, of course).

So yeah, the game actually gets harder as you unlock the secret characters which is...fair, I guess? Since you have to basically learn the courses inside out to get those characters in the first place.

From what I recall reading somewhere, the unlockable characters won't appear at opponents unless you also play as an unlockable character (or super sonic)

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Caught up again. The Saturn era of Sonic sure was the Saturn era of Sonic!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

He's heeeeeeeerrrreeee...

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

i can't believe raocow just fuckin' killed tails doll
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

good riddance :)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

fun tails doll facts: tails doll is an epic character created just for this game. it is a robot tails that robotnik built. that's it

in the comics, tails doll has an "interesting" transformation
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I've only played the version of this that's in the "Sonic Gems Collection", and while it does add random weather effects, a lot of the lighting and the neat fade-in effect was lost.

If you have the PC version, it turns out there's a fix for the lighting. Somebody was looking into the game files and realized that the lighting was gone due to a bug, and an entire portion of the texture color values wasn't even being read. Radical City doesn't exactly look ugly without the extra lighting effects, but it's nowhere near as colorful and interesting as the Saturn version.

I don't know if the fix also adds the fade-in effect back into the game as well. It's really interesting to see how different the version that raocow is playing looks compared to the version that I always played. At some point I ought to look for a PC copy and set the game up for myself. I think I remember reading that Internet Archive has a copy that you can download, just like how somebody posted earlier that there's a PC version of 3D Blast on there as well.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago fun tails doll facts: tails doll is an epic character created just for this game. it is a robot tails that robotnik built. that's it

in the comics, tails doll has an "interesting" transformation
why are bomb and heavy there, and what are they doing with 75% of team rose
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

raocow is cursed to die in seven days, or whatever,
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Looks like it's time for Radical City, and although raocow had a hard time finding all the medals, I don't blame him. This place can be pretty confusing, and even I had a hard time remembering where all the medals were, and I've 100% completed this game multiple times. I do like that this game involves a good deal of exploration; I can't think of any other racing games that are anywhere close to being like this game (although I'm not an expert on all racing video games ever or anything, so there could be one I just don't know about).

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago raocow is cursed to die in seven days, or whatever,
no you have to tag everyone in tag mode as tails doll, then when he gets super sonic he gets energized with the power of the chaos emeralds and comes out of your tv/ps2/gamecube/saturn/pc
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Everything raocow said about living in the city is true.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Whimsical Calamari wrote: 4 years ago why are bomb and heavy there, and what are they doing with 75% of team rose
this is because bomb, heavy, big, cream and cheese are all characters in the sonic franchise, so they are part of the story and appear in it. hope this helps!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Has raocow somehow not encountered Tails Doll in his whole life?

Also, the water looks better in the Saturn version than in the GEMS collection lol
ImageImage
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago raocow is cursed to die in seven days, or whatever,
no you have to tag everyone in tag mode as tails doll, then when he gets super sonic he gets energized with the power of the chaos emeralds and comes out of your tv/ps2/gamecube/saturn/pc
thought there was also something about playing Can You Feel the Sunshine backwards twice before he could appear
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Complacency!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Since you did a quick video on the Saturn version of 3D Blast, do you think that you could do one for either the PC or Gems version of Sonic R? Mainly so that we can see whether the handling is actually better in the later version or not. I mean, if you can try it immediately after playing the Saturn version, it would be easiest to make the comparison. Plus, the added effects like weather and different/broken lighting.

Anyways, as far as today's video goes, I think it might be better if you do the first couple runs of the level like it's a standard platformer and completely ignore the other racers. Like, wander around and get an idea of where the collectibles are, plan out your route ahead of time and maybe practice anything that looks like it would give you a hard time when it matters. Then, you can actually do the race while already knowing where the best shortcuts are and the easiest way to snag the Emeralds/Tokens.

I mean, I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the next track in the set was the easiest for me to get lost in when I played the game as a kid. Regal Ruin was my favorite for some reason. I think it's because it felt the most like an actual game level instead of a track or a spiderweb of roads to weave through.

This game totally deserves a sequel. Modern graphics, keep the same platform/racer gimmick, a good number of tracks comparable to something like a Mario Kart game, and let the game handle more like the Adventure/Heroes games, or maybe a slower version of the Modern games without the Boost mechanic. Also, make sure that every level's BGM has full lyrics, just like this game. (Hell, Sega likes their nostalgia trips. You could even make a full set of remade Sonic R levels and call it a "Classic Cup" or something.)
LunarRainbowShyGuy

This track is one I enjoy quite a bit, although it probably helps that I know where everything is (I could probably say this about every track in the game though). That S curve partway through the track can be annoying, especially with characters with low handling, but fortunately there are ways around it. That's another thing I like about this game; if there's a part of a track that gives you a hard time, there's usually another way to go.

Leet

Post by Leet »

The ancient echidna civilization has been present since sonic 3, it just wasn't explicitly shown to be made up of echidnas per se. It's more explicit in the Japanese Sonic 3 manual which talks about an ancient civilization on the floating island that used the chaos emeralds, and that Knuckles was given the mission to protect the emeralds after the civilization was erased from history. But even in the game, one has to presume that someone built Sandopolis and Hidden Palace, which has that prophetic mural in it.

The Sonic 3 manual also mentions a legendary dragon in another prophetic text, foreshadowing Adventure. Yeah, the Sonic games really had interesting continuity like that!