(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: So A Fox, A Rabbit, & Knuckles Walk Into A Bar - Advance 2 - Neon Genesis Evangelion 2

Post by Grounder »

Eggman: I like ya cut, G.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kincyr
HONK!

Re: So A Fox, A Rabbit, & Knuckles Walk Into A Bar - Advance 2 - Neon Genesis Evangelion 2

Post by Kincyr »

something tells me someone's gonna try to port the Egg Saucer to SMW as a Reznor-like bossfight in an attempt to troll raocow

but as a joke boss with the design flaw that the arm is too short, causing it's first slap to hit the cockpit and take itself out

xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Getting on rails is awkward, but I always liked the jump that characters automatically do at the end of them. Feels neat, can't explain why.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

sonic sessions are either fun little bops that play themselves or a nightmare hour, with very little in between
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago sonic sessions are either fun little bops that play themselves or a nightmare hour, with very little in between
for the sake of your sanity, maybe split up xx zone into two videos
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

If I had a dollar for every time that Knuckles has been fought in an Eggman machine I'd have two dollars. It's not much but it's weird that it happened twice
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Nast

Post by Nast »

Pro-tip for later: you can skip the credits by pushing Start
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I take it that doesn't penalise you in some way?

in some games skipping the credits doesn't give you completion :I
Nast

Post by Nast »

Nah, it's not like a soft reset out of the credits or anything like that. It just skips past the regular credits straight to the SEGA logos at the end. Any unlocks you'd get are still gotten.
Anad
Pronouns: Any

Post by Anad »

Whelp, I've put this off for long enough....
It's me, that guy who cares about Sonic Adventure, like, way too much with:
Some things raocow should probably know before starting the mission mode of Sonic Adventure DX!
Not going to spoil any missions, this is just basic info about how you should approach this for a pleasant experience:
  • First, regarding what version to play, I would strongly recommend the GameCube version as it's undoubtedly the version most people associate with Sonic Adventure DX and is far and away the most stable. If you are going to play the PC version, at least, do so from a fresh install without the "betterSADX"/DC Overhaul mod so people can get a nice vertical slice of how the DX art direction differs from the DreamCast version. Also note that on the PC version, with DC overhaul mod or otherwise, there's a bug preventing the mission description/hint text from being displayed properly on the "Missions" overview screen, accessible from the pause menu during mission mode. The text still appears correctly in the subtitle when you first get the mission but when you try to review your completed/pending mission from the Pause/Missions screen the text will be erroneously scaled to be like 32x what it should be so you can only actually read the first two words as the rest will be off screen. For what it's worth, this is the only text-scaling/UI bug I've found in the PC version.
  • Most of the missions are easy to mild in terms of difficulty, a small handful are a completely-reasonable challenge, and then there are just two missions that are infuriating/unreasonable (although still nowhere near as bad as the driving in SA2).
  • There are 60 mission divided amongst the six playable characters distributed roughly-proportional to the length of the character's campaign (so Sonic has the most with all the other characters having a small handful to a dozen), all of the missions are numbered and are not sorted based on character so doing them in "numerical order" isn't really sensible. The missions are very-roughly ordered based on what level the objective takes place in.
  • Mission have to be "found" in the hub world before they can be completed; if the mission requires additional props or objects to be spawned in a level, they will not appear until their respective mission is discovered in the hub world. When in mission mode, there will be these clipboard like items, collecting each one begins one of the characters missions. The mission/clipboard objects only appear in one of the hub worlds, but the objectives can take place in one of the hub worlds itself or any of the stages the character has access to. The game immediately autosaves everytime a new mission is discovered or an objective is completed.
  • For a smooth difficulty curve, I strongly recommend doing the characters in reverse order, that is, starting with Big or E102 Gamma and ending with Tails then Sonic. The later characters not only have less missions but mostly easier ones too, so, the two infuriating/unreasonable missions I warned you about are in Tails's and Sonic's set respectively. I really feel you'd probably negatively taint your entire experience if you tried to do Sonic and Tails first! With the later characters you'd easily be able to comfortably do all their mission in a single video, but Tails will probably, and Sonic will definitely, take multiple videos. Of course, this will depend on how much you struggle with the missions.
So that about covers everything I feel you/raocow needs know in advance for a pleasant experience. It feels like we're fast approaching SADX so I hope I didn't leave this until too late to be useful or too early to be relevant.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago
raocow wrote: 3 years ago sonic sessions are either fun little bops that play themselves or a nightmare hour, with very little in between
for the sake of your sanity, maybe split up xx zone into two videos
bares repeating with a clarification: i meant doing cream and someone else in one vid and the last character in another
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
raocow

Post by raocow »

how does mission mode work anyway (in DX). like will I need a save or would I be able to just jump right in or what?
for the record I did plan on playing the gamecube version
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago how does mission mode work anyway (in DX). like will I need a save or would I be able to just jump right in or what?
for each character, unlocking their missions simply requires beating their story
Anad

Post by Anad »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago how does mission mode work anyway (in DX). like will I need a save or would I be able to just jump right in or what?
Mission mode is unlocked on a per-character basis when you complete their story mode. Do you have a GameCube save(state) yet? If not I might be able to help. It appears as an option on the main menu, below Story Mode and Trial Mode.

After you select your character, you're loaded into an identical game state to if you just selected the character after completing their storyline, ergo, all of the story events have already happened and you have free access to all of the hubs, all of the character's levels, and your character upgrades carry over too: the only difference from regular post-game story mode is the addition of "clipboard" items now spread across the hub worlds (technically the three Emblem Trials for each stage are unavailable in Mission Mode, for no real reason other than the assumption when you're in Mission Mode you're visiting a stage to do the mission objectives there and not do normal Emblem Trial stuff). Each clipboard corresponds to a mission, each character has their own set of missions: there are 60 mission in total. As I mentioned previously, each clipboard you collect "discovers" the mission. Once discovered, a mission is effectively always on until it's completed. Missions are passive and non-exclusive: you can have all of a character's mission active at once, in fact there's no reason not to do it this way. To put simply the "missions" in SADX are functionally just sidequests with the clipboard item taking the role of the quest giver.

So, you'll pick a character, briefly comb through the hub worlds to find all of the mission "clipboards" and then just do the missions in any order you want. Some are done in the overworld, some are done in specific levels. There's no advantage to doing any one mission before any other mission, aside from some missions being harder than others and you can save yourself some time by doing multiple missions, which are set in specific level, in a single trip.

The main incentive for completing the missions in the original GameCube, Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, is unlocking the Sonic GameGear games. In the Sonic Adventure DX HD versions, the GameGear emulator was removed, so the main reason to do the mission mode was just to get an achievement. (It may also be a prerequisite for unlocking SADX's exclusive bonus character but I'm not sure about that.)
Last edited by Anad 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow

Post by raocow »

yeah so I might need a save then. all the saves on gamefaqs boast how everything is completed, which isn't what I want :I
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Just Simply replay Sonic Adventure again Image
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
helucard

Post by helucard »

raocow's description of vid 449 wrote: videos like this make me think that going forward I should almost just do regular runs when we get alternate playthroughs to do :I
I support this. It may perhaps sound strange, but an upcoming entry to the series at some future point has me worried that you'll think "oh, it's the same levels, it's the same game, just different people, right".

For peeps wondering which game I'm specifically referring to:
The different teams from Sonic Heroes, while similar in control for the most part, do have significant changes across the board. I'll admit, maybe Team

Rose

could get a much more condensed run? Maybe? But the others? Absolutely not... Team

Dark

is a veritable bombardment, and Team

Chaotix

is just utterly and completely different on all fronts, and should not be put to the side under the impression that it could be blitzed in 3 episodes.
I feel like I might have talked about this before at some point. hmm...
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i think raocow is aware of how sonic heroes works, he said in discord he'd be doing full, separate runthroughts for each team

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow

Post by raocow »

Yup. I looked in the spoiler and basically I agree with you 100% helucard
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

cream's mom's name is vanilla

this will never be relevant in any way
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Anad

Post by Anad »

So for an update on the whole mission mode save file issue. I tried experimenting with AR codes in Dolphin to see if could quickly create the needed save file but the results were less than satisfactory. Surely enough, all the savefiles I could find online and AR codes were just for full-clearing 100% including completing all of the mission. It's worth noting that playing the mission mode after completing all of the missions puts you in sort of a freeplay mode with all the mission are activated at once and you can "replay" mission objectives freely but, of course, this lacks the proper sense of progression from playing the mission mode properly. So, I've started to play through the game again (this time on Dolphin) to create the needed save file; I just finished Sonic's story in one sitting (the credits were playing while I wrote the first part of this message): turns out the game can actually be completed pretty quickly when you're not exploring, talking to NPCs, watching cutscenes, or playing with Chao. :P
So right now, I guess the options are:
  1. Replay the missions on Dolphin with a super-cleared savefile: this is definitely not ideal as all of the missions will already be marked as "discovered" (so you miss the finding them part) and completed (making difficult to track what ones you've already done and what ones you still have to do).
  2. We could trying doing something with the PC version: maybe we'd be a able to create an ideal savefile with mods but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Plus, there's also the PC-exclusive bugs and stability issues to worry about.
  3. Finally, you could wait for me to finish my Dolphin playthrough and I can send you a savestate with all of the characters stories completed but the missions untouched. It's no secret I'm always happy to play Sonic Adventure and I have no problem playing through Sonic's, Tails's, Knuckle's, Amy's, or E102 Gamma's stories: it's just Big's campaign I truly dread. It's the only part of the game which I derive absolutely no joy from playing: only misery. Funnily enough, I actually horde my saves from my physical GameCube version and my Steam version of SADX because every time I play through Big's campaign, I swear I will never do it again. Even if we were to use my savefiles for the PC version, every file I have that has Big's story completed also has some missions already completed: Big's story is always the very last thing I do when playing Sonic Adventure. Question, would it be okay if I just gave you a savestate with all of the other character's stories completed so you can do Big's story yourself? In the videos, you had far more luck with the fishing than I ever had.
So yeah, that's the status of my mission mode savefile: I've already done Sonic's campaign; Tails, Knuckles, Amy, E102 Gamma are no problem; it's just Big's story that is a nightmare.
raocow

Post by raocow »

for what it's worth, option 3 is definitely the best
also for what it's worth, there is plenty of time. loop 3 will probably take a week, then there's a few small things and that one pinball game.

if you dislike big that bad you could... transfer your save to someone else and have them finish it off ?!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

"I'm glad I thought of the loop appellation during crash"

I'm pretty sure it first came up in Celeste

by me

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.