(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: All The S@nics - 3D Blast - Fuzzy And Blue

Post by Bean »

Yeah, Gene Gadget exists. Trying to do precise, yet fast movements in a small isometric 3D world might be a little much in spots. I still think the Rusty Ruins golem boss dude is the worst because of that.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I've been trying to figure out why the boss music sounds so familiar and I just realized that it shares melody parts with the Nezumiman boss theme.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Right, I've been building up to this, may as well disappoint folks now.

All four of these songs are ripping off, of all things, Sesame Street.

I don't know if they were meant as homages or what, but given the context it can't possibly be a coincidence.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

raocow, how do you deep fry soup?
ImageImage
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I was not expecting Panic Puppet Zone Act 2 to have such a sick beat.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Trivia Time: Master of Puppets is a little-known song from an even less known Metallica album titled, "Master Of Puppets".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Puppets_(song)
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
VGjoe

Post by VGjoe »

Green Grove 1 - 12
Green Grove 2 - 106
Special 1K - 188
Special 1K: extra life edition - 202
Special 2T - 161
Green Grove 3 - 8

Rusty Ruin 1 - 56
Rusty Ruin 2 - 135
Special 3K - 173
Rusty Ruin 3 - 2

Spring Stadium 1 - 70
Special 4K - 164
Spring Stadium 2 - 1
Spring Stadium 3 - 0

Diamond Dust 1 - 19
Special 5T - 175
Diamond Dust 2 - 12
Special 6T - 38
Special 6K - 156
Diamond Dust 3 - 1

Volcano Valley 1 - 97
Volcano Valley 2 - 79
Special 7T - 96
Special 7K - 153
Volcano Valley 3 - 1

Gene Gadget 1 - 48
Gene Gadget 2 - 84
Gene Gadget 3 - 4

Panic Puppet 1 - 4
Panic Puppet 2 - 2
Panic Puppet 3 - 3

Final Fight - 0

Total Rings collected in Sonic 3D Blast: 2250
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

this boss was like uber hard to me as a kid.

it's so easy tho it's just long
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Fun Fact: Thanks to a prototype dump, this is how the Main Menu/Continue screen originally looked as rendered:

For whatever reason they edited the render to what we see in the final build. I wonder why.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

One thing i've learned from All the Sonics is that those Sonic OCs people make aren't necessarily all that far removed from the quality of the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXcpOV7me5w&t=8m25s
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago Fun Fact: Thanks to a prototype dump, this is how the Main Menu/Continue screen originally looked as rendered:

For whatever reason they edited the render to what we see in the final build. I wonder why.
^ ◑^
🤜⚪👉

I have no idea what the fuck I was going for
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

The Special Stages for the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast were originally going to be a weird game of pool played in various themed arenas, but was changed to a variant of Sonic 2's special stage due to time constraints.

The concept was that Sonic would stand behind a ball, rev up his Spin Dash, and then aim before smashing into it. The camera would then switch to an overhead view and show the resulting action as he smashes into the other balls, with the aim of knocking all the balls into some portals within a certain time limit. It was also possible to push the balls but this was to be balanced by making it much slower than spindashing into them. Later stages would have enemies walking around, stunning Sonic if he touched them.
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - 3D Blast - Fuzzy And Yellow

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
VGjoe

Post by VGjoe »

Green Grove 1 - 62
Special 1 - 142
Special 1: 1up edition - 147

Total Rings collected in Sonic 3D Blast Saturn Version: 351
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

So, a quick question for anybody who's played the Saturn or PC versions of the game.

Remember those moving platforms on the steep slope that raocow had such a hard time jumping on and navigating? Is the collision detection any better in the "upgraded" versions, or is it still the same? Just because I remember a couple of times raocow seemed to phase through the platform because he didn't hit it exactly dead-on.

Speaking of collision, same question regarding the Panic Puppet boss and the difficulty raocow had with hitting the weak point buttons.

On another note, I suppose that it's as good a time as any since raocow just replayed Green Grove 1. It turns out that the level design itself is just slightly one of those impossible pictures that only gets away with it due to being isometric. I remember trying to build a model of the level using Google SketchUp. I used the checkerboard tiling as a measurement, and even used a matching pair of textures to make absolutely sure that everything was done correctly. The resulting model had a section that didn't quite line up the way that it does in-game. I double and triple-checked the entire model, counting squares nearly religiously to make sure that I didn't make a mistake since at the time I wanted to try sticking the levels into something like Blitz Sonic to be able to mess around with a truly "3D Blast". Everything counted out correctly, it just turns out that the level itself is slightly off, and the isometric viewpoint coupled with the limited amount you're able to see at any one time hides it very well.

(To be absolutely fair, I don't recall if it was Green Grove 1 or 2 that was wrong. Although since I only remember making one model and I would have naturally started with GG1, I'm 99% certain that it's that one.)
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

So uh, fun fact: The Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast was the only version of the game to be released in Japan (before Sonic Mega Collection, anyway), and it didn't release there until 1999 - after the original release of Sonic Adventure had already come out (in fact, it came out the same day as the improved "International" version of Adventure there).

That probably says something about the level of dysfunction and/or rivalry between the American and Japanese branches of Sega at the time.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

kurt91 wrote: 4 years ago Remember those moving platforms on the steep slope that raocow had such a hard time jumping on and navigating? Is the collision detection any better in the "upgraded" versions, or is it still the same? Just because I remember a couple of times raocow seemed to phase through the platform because he didn't hit it exactly dead-on.
I remember having trouble with them, but I don't think I ever just fell through them like what people always do in videos.
kurt91 wrote: Speaking of collision, same question regarding the Panic Puppet boss and the difficulty raocow had with hitting the weak point buttons.
nope, that one just sucks no matter what

Also this Special Stage theme is S TIER

EDIT: oh, and the PC version ALSO has its own unique Special Stages... if you feel we've already had enough Green Grove, maybe you could find a video and spare yourself the nightmare of installing it and setting up to record an ancient win95 game, or just read this description
it's the half-pipe again, but with only one ring requirement, and physics that let you launch yourself above the map for a few seconds with proper (mashed) jumping, meaning you can get the quota and then spend the rest of the stage doing sweet ramp tricks
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Not to be a grump, ¿but why did they make the Saturn version o’ Green Grove Zone have muzak as its level music? It’s the 1st stage in the game: it needs to be pumping. This isn’t pumping. They had such musical power & they wasted it on Kenny G.

This is almost as bad as when the new versions o’ Super Meat Boy replaced its amazing 1st-level music with whate’er this ungodly orgy o’ banjos is s’posed to be.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 4 years ago[3D Blast] didn't release [in Japan] until 1999 - after the original release of Sonic Adventure had already come out (in fact, it came out the same day as the improved "International" version of Adventure there).

That probably says something about the level of dysfunction and/or rivalry between the American and Japanese branches of Sega at the time.
and yet, sonic adventure still took so many musical cues and other aesthetic inspiration from it. that's what's wild to me! even if sega corporate hated sega america, clearly the dev team did not feel the same way. they were like, "this is sonic's peak up until today, we must build upon the works of our predecessors and venerate them" about a game made by americans. that never happens!
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The Saturn side of the soundtrack is more atmospheric. First level's happy, second sounds like you're in a deep jungle ruin area, third's a carnival and so on. It fits, but it's just different from what the Genesis tracks do. Some songs on one soundtrack are better than others.
Nast

Post by Nast »

I swear Green Grove 1 is the only level where Knuckles and Tails spawn only when you're backtracking to previous areas, whereas every other level they just appear like normal in specified spots. It's a weird decision to make for the very first level in the game.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

NastCF wrote: 4 years agoI swear Green Grove 1 is the only level where Knuckles and Tails spawn only when you're backtracking to previous areas, whereas every other level they just appear like normal in specified spots. It's a weird decision to make for the very first level in the game.
Nah, I'm pretty sure we saw that happen in Volcano zone too. Falling back down to the previous area causes the appearance of Knuckles.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

The 1995 copyright message isn't part of the game, that's the Saturn BIOS/System Software load screen.

On the Dreamcast, anything past the swirl logo is the game, though. Unless the game doesn't load and you get kicked to the System Menu.

Edit: Didn't we find out that doing both Knuckles and Tails' in one level gets you only one emerald in the Genesis version?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

No
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.