(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The S@nics - 2 - I Could Go Super Sonic...

Post by Ashan »

It really strikes me as odd how you get chaos emeralds in these games. With something so intrinsic to the Sonic lore, it just seems wrong you get them in weird minigames that take place in bizarro nonsense lands. I imagine them to be akin to something like the triforce from Zelda, but in those games they tend to usually make something of a big deal when you actually acquire it, and there's lore reasons for why they are where they are. Here it's like "gotta meet a ring requirement and touch a checkpoint so I get warped to a minigame that takes place in an unrelated void and then meet another ring requirement and somehow get an emerald from that." And also they all just happen to be exactly on the way to Robotnik for some reason.

IS there lore behind them or is it just something you're not supposed to think about?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago IS there lore behind them or is it just something you're not supposed to think about?
They were never lore-important until S3&K implied they were, just trinkets that power Robotnik's schemes if not gathered. Super Sonic is just a glorified two-part DBZ shoutout - collect the 7 magical objects, turn into a golden super-powered version of yourself. Likewise, the rings had no lore justification either. The earliest ideas behind them were retroactively working out a plot for the game that had been made, the US-created Early Canon. In that the chaos emeralds were used as vessels to try and contain all the evil in the world, and the rings were components of the machine designed to do that. It wasn't until Sonic Adventure that they'd actually get a "lore" outside of the comics, which all bolted on their own interpretations of them.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Sonic 2 is a good seven zone game that has a lot of crap at the end that sours the overall experience
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Sonic lore

okay but not really. please dont take sonic lore seriously this is the same game series that gives

the moon is facing the other way

as the actual canon explanation for

the moon not retaining the fact that its been blown up in half past sonic adventure 2

and

only male hedgehogs can go super

as the canon explanation for the reason that

we haven't seen super knuckles and super tails since 1994

all the while refusing to acknowledge the whole

did gerald base shadow on the super sonic mural in angel island

theory that is actually pretty coherent for a sonic fan theory in favor of whatever the fuck shadow the hedgehog (the game) is

at one point they also just randomly wrote

blaze

as being from

the future in sonic 06

despite that

in sonic rush she was literally the princess of an alternate dimension's kingdom

. they've gone with

alternate dimension

for now but
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years agothat

in sonic rush she was literally the princess of an alternate dimension's kingdom

. they've gone with

alternate dimension

for now but
they KEEP doing this.

Eggman Nega also has this issue in Sonic Rush vs Sonic Rivals

. And so does

Classic Sonic himself now - Forces implied that Classic Sonic now comes from "another dimension".

The best theory to "answer" that is that Generations caused

a fork in the timeline. The original timeline goes S3&K, Sonic 4, Sonic Adventure etc. up to Generations and Forces, while the splintered timeline goes S3&K, Generations, Mania, Forces, Mania Plus

Honestly, the whole series has been a hodgepodge of adhoc hedgehog post-hoc retcon flip-flop.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

don't forget that one time iizuka said that each game took place in its own dimension or something like that

and more or less implies that sonic x supersedes game canon with his dumb "two worlds" idea he is dead set on
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago at one point they also just randomly wrote

blaze

as being from

the future in sonic 06

despite that

. they've gone with

alternate dimension

for now but
I'm legit convinced that in 06, there was supposed to be a plot twist that

Blaze doesn't exist at all, and is Silver's Tyler Durden

, but that was cut for time and made non-canon.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

With Sonic Team filled to bursting with ideas for Sonic 2, one of the first elements the team decided on was that they wanted a new main character to be introduced in the game. This was caused by a request from Yuji Naka as a condition for his hiring. Naka had wanted to implement a two player feature in the original Sonic, but had lacked the time to implement it, and so made its inclusion in Sonic 2 mandatory if STI was to hire him.

An internal competition was held within all of STI to find the best character that could be used for this new feature, and though many entries were submitted (including one from artist Craig Stitt for a flying turtle named "Boomer"), it was Yasushi Yamaguchi who won with his two-tailed fox character, who he proudly proclaimed was named "Miles Prower". While taken with his design, the rest of the team felt his name was too long, and argued that he should simply be "Tails," to match the simplistic nature of Sonic's name. Unhappy with this idea, Yamaguchi (who became the lead zone artist in the game) decided to sneak the name "Miles Prower" into various pieces of concept art and in the game itself, at which point the team just decided to make both names legitimate.

LEVEL FACTS!

While Emerald Hill Zone did get its name from a town just south of San Francisco, the neighborhood is in fact referred to as Emerald Hills, as it is in fact part of a larger area called Emerald Lake Hills.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The Sånics - 2 - I Could Go Super Sonic... Racing

Post by Awoo »

Oh, man, that video description and title!

All I can say is two words:
Kup teraz!
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew

Post by DinnerSonic »

For Act 2, here's the 2 Player song used for Emerald Hill Zone! If you waited long enough on the title screen, you'd possibly catch a glimpse of Sonic vs Tails 2 Player split screen action. There's two other stages you can play in 2 Player mode too, possibly chosen based on what had the most split screen friendly level gimmicks, and those two also have their own exclusive songs, which some theorize were originally leftovers from unused stages.

All The Hill Zones tally:
  • 3 Green Hill Zones
  • 9 Green Hill Zone Acts total
  • 3 versions of the Nakamura GHZ theme
  • 4 (some kinda) Hill Zones
  • 11 (some kinda) Hill Zone Acts total
Oh, and as for the video: ouch. Sonic 2's Special Stages are pretty annoying, with the random curves and blind layouts combined with low draw distance. They really like to bring back the halfpipe style in future games, but I believe most of them at least feel a bit less annoying since they tend to be rendered in 3D in some form. Even the mobile phone remaster of Sonic 2 renders the Special Stage in true 3D, making it a bit more bearable. (Potential spoilers for later Special Stage layouts if you keep watching)
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

So, is it ever explained why Tails (or "Tails" as this game appears to insist upon derisively calling him) is able to defeat robots by jumping in to them while curled up in a ball? It kind of makes sense for Sonic, because he has spikes on his back. But Tails just has hair. And not even long whippy hair like some games try to convince us is a totally effective offensive weapon what-are-you-talking-about; he's got like these dinky little things he could scarcely form in to an 80s rat tail. By all rights, being jumped in to by Tails ought to be as dangerous as have a small, rolled-up shag carpet thrown at you. Do all of Robotnik's minions have a severe fox dander allergy or something?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

So can Knuckles, Ray, Mighty, and even Cream, so this is just a Thing that everyone does
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

The robots don't want to make the child sad so they activate their self-destruct routines.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I was never under the assumption that Sonic's spikes did anything to hurt enemies. If anything he's only got like 4 or 5 "spikes" in total cause they're all giant, so he doesn't really look like he'd hurt to touch. Not to mention he's spinning forward which is WITH the grain of his spikes, so they wouldn't really jam into anything. I think it's just packing up into a dense ball, spinning around, and running into things with some amount of force hurts things.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

it's so peculiar that the special stage has half the resolution AND frame rate of the sprites lying on top of it, and yet it feels so natural...
Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years agoWhile taken with his design, the rest of the team felt his name was too long, and argued that he should simply be "Tails," to match the simplistic nature of Sonic's name.
It hadn't struck me until now that Tails, and I guess Amy, are the only animal characters in Sonic with a last name (and coincidentally a first name that people actually have). Everyone else gets epithets, like royalty. They're the only ones with a lineage to speak of (I mean, ignoring certain comics). If Sonic and Amy had a child, would its last name also be Rose? How many members of the Rose dynasty still live? Does Sonic even have parents? Were they also referred to as "The Hedgehog"?
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Didn't expect a video with a Czech title and description. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. (I wonder who raocow's translator is?)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Reecer7 wrote: 4 years agoDoes Sonic even have parents? Were they also referred to as "The Hedgehog"?
I have several continuities I can tell you about

In Archie comics (and thus presumably in SatAM), Sonic's parents are Bernadette Hedgehog and Jules Hedgehog. No "the". However, his birth name in that setting is actually

Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog

In Fleetway comics, Sonic has no known parents. Also he was originally brown.

Warning: the following content is cursed. Do not open.
In Sonic Underground, the single worst cartoon, Sonic's mother is Queen Aleena Hedgehog, and his siblings are called Manic the Hedgehog and Sonia the Hedgehog.
In every other continuity, Sonic has no known parents or family, besides his close friends - Tails is frequently depicted as being "like a brother" to him.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

god i havent thought of stupid little drill tank in years

sometimes i still think of reiko hikari tho
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Nast

Post by Nast »

I love this game but it's pretty weird how, if you set out to get all the emeralds, it completely changes the way you play the whole game.

The way I see it the levels are designed to encourage a very loose playstyle, and the ring system contributes to that since it allows you to keep the pace if you get hit. With the emeralds goal in mind you suddenly become very meticulous and paranoid and it totally breaks the pace, acting in total opposition to the way the game is designed. You're also more focused on finding checkpoints, which puts such a high importance in them to the point that the regular levels might as well be just a medium through which to get to the special stages. And since the latter are pretty shitty, it paints the whole experience negatively.

There's a good chance I might be overthinking this.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Honestly, I greatly prefer the way Sonic 1 handled it. Putting the special ring at the end of the level means you can just run through it while grabbing as many rings as you can, without worrying about missing checkpoints. Sonic 2 requires you to be a lot more methodical about it, while simultaneously having a much harder and more unfair bonus game.

And yeah, you really do have to jump if you want Tails to more "reliably" avoid getting hit by bombs, which sucks because all of the rings are on the ground.
Nast

Post by Nast »

10204307 wrote: 4 years ago Honestly, I greatly prefer the way Sonic 1 handled it. Putting the special ring at the end of the level means you can just run through it while grabbing as many rings as you can, without worrying about missing checkpoints. Sonic 2 requires you to be a lot more methodical about it, while simultaneously having a much harder and more unfair bonus game.
I agree Sonic 1 is better on that front, the problem with it though is that you only have as many chances as there are levels. Sonic 2 at least gives you plenty of opportunities to try the special stages.

I think Sonic 3 handled it best in both ways but it's probably too early to talk about that game. :v
warpio

Post by warpio »

Yeah, I think Sonic 2 is way more enjoyable when you don't fret about getting all the chaos emeralds.Either that or if I were to set out to get all of them, I'd just stay in Emerald Hill Zone, going back and forth between 2 checkpoints and using the respawning rings to infinitely retry the special stages until I've completed all of them in the first zone, so then I'd be able to freely go through the rest of the game without worrying about them.

That said, I won't complain that raocow has made his decision to try to get them all during a regular playthrough, since I guess that's part of the format of this LP series and it is kinda fun to watch in its own way.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

warpio wrote: 4 years agogoing back and forth between 2 checkpoints
no can do! Star Posts are "used" once they've been touched once, and in fact earlier checkpoints get marked as used if you use any later checkpoint - especially notable with the last two in EHZ Act 2.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago I have several continuities I can tell you about
i don't respect a single one of these names
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)