(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: All the S@nics - Chronicles: the Dark Brotherhood - Lara-Sued

Post by KobaBeach »

kitikami wrote: 1 year ago For example, where raocow goes up two cliffs via springs here, if he had jumped back down toward the camera, he would fall a while to the base of each cliff. But instead he jumps off the back, and it just instantly plops him on the road in the background as if depth doesn't exist anymore.
oh yeah no these maps are just designed poorly
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Okay, I am playing Chronicles on my 3DS rn, and I'm having an easier time doing Sonic's Axe Kick than I did with my Intuos, truly the magic of the stylus? And to think raocow's using a mouse of all things. Tell Lost Melody I'm sorry for memeing on her game. I don't really detect lag though, I feel like it's just the lack of proper response wrt a cursor. Gaining some levels and amassing items to pass the time.
Image Image
helucard

Post by helucard »

I find it hilarious that for a fair few chapters, the game is like "your job is over that way, but have fun going all over the place" and then suddenly slaps down a point of no return, you deal with eggman's city and the world's smallest replica of angel island, and now we're in the astral railroad of "your choices are none and your opinion doesn't matter," like, It's pretty funny when you look at it from a distance, I mean this is bioware, the guys that made dragon age, for them to scrap the choices here and just have everything conveniently go on this single path feels like... I dunno. Unbioware.

Or it could just have been rushed so bad that they didn't even have anyone proofreading, but what are the odds of-

... I'd say the odds are bery high, actually.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

helucard wrote: 1 year ago I mean this is bioware, the guys that made dragon age, for them to scrap the choices here and just have everything conveniently go on this single path feels like... I dunno. Unbioware.
it's foreshadowing for mass effect 3
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

helucard wrote: 1 year ago I find it hilarious that for a fair few chapters, the game is like "your job is over that way, but have fun going all over the place" and then suddenly slaps down a point of no return, you deal with eggman's city and the world's smallest replica of angel island, and now we're in the astral railroad of "your choices are none and your opinion doesn't matter," like, It's pretty funny when you look at it from a distance, I mean this is bioware, the guys that made dragon age, for them to scrap the choices here and just have everything conveniently go on this single path feels like... I dunno. Unbioware.
Seems very familiar to FFXV in design where the first two-thirds of the game are go wherever but your goal is x, only to wind up going super linear after that. But they somehow stuck the landing with that one.

Anyway, it's clear it was meant to be more, but the game had to get rushed out the door fast. and Sega's already notorious for having that issue with their games anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if it was yet another casualty of the rush to retail sweepstakes.
helucard

Post by helucard »

Real weird that we didn't have a N'rrgal boss fight, but you know what, I'm not one to snub irregularly generous mercy when it's given. Speaking of which, I love how the leech blade missed all three times despite not hitting any of the prompts, that was genuinely amazing.
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago it's foreshadowing for mass effect 3
ah, of course, this suddenly makes perfect sense.
Bean wrote: 1 year ago Seems very familiar to FFXV in design where the first two-thirds of the game are go wherever but your goal is x, only to wind up going super linear after that. But they somehow stuck the landing with that one.

Anyway, it's clear it was meant to be more, but the game had to get rushed out the door fast. and Sega's already notorious for having that issue with their games anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if it was yet another casualty of the rush to retail sweepstakes.
Thinking about it, X-2 had a quite nonlinear progression despite being segmented into definitive chapters with their own primary objectives and such; It was just that going all over the place regardless of objective was possible - and ideal, given that it'd play out a heck of a lot of substories...
... Shame that after the years passed, I don't really care for that game anymore :/ Lotta stuff I never really picked up on as a kid that I look back at and think "ugh, never touching that again..."
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago But they somehow stuck the landing with [FFXV].
did they though? i haven't played it yet but
Image Image
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

In today's (well, the today of five days past; vacation set me back) episode of Sonic Drowns in Tonic Water, Miranda sends Commander Shepard on a quest to obtain and give Reaper tech to Cerberus, which the player immediately identifies as a spectacularly bad idea but accepts the quest anyway because what can you do?

I love the Kron's linguistic tic and hint at culture with their wishing you solid ground. The writer may not have had a perfect handle on writing the actual Sonic characters and the Nocturnus are boring omnipotent techno-ninjas, but these guys are great.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
helucard

Post by helucard »

So we're on 5 emeralds now, yeah?
I forget, is this a sonic 1 situation with 6 emeralds, or an every other sonic situation with 7? We only got 1 space rock left on the map, right?
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Inb4 it's a Sonic the Fighters situation with 8 emeralds.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

also raocow you coward that title was totally intentional /s
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
helucard

Post by helucard »

This implies that the N'rrgal... harvest their own combustible sweat to sell to people...
... Eugh...
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

helucard wrote: 1 year ago This implies that the N'rrgal... harvest their own combustible sweat to sell to people...
... Eugh...
If human sweat was combustible, you better believe "sweatshops" would be literalized!

Bioware's actual comfort zone clearly apparent with all these quirky alien races. Honestly, I thought the Twilight Cage onwards would be awful, but frankly it's been an improvement.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

gamer girl bath water
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

that was a gamer not a person
Image Image
helucard

Post by helucard »

wow, the empowered effect is THAT good? ... I agree with the notion of using items instead of bringing Cream to every encounter.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
helucard

Post by helucard »

Oh my gosh, THE BIG ARMS' THEME...
raocow, a moment before this butchery played, we had a cutscene with ridiculously grating sound effects and your response was:
raocow at 0:59 https://youtu.be/XQ5lBoEo_VQ?t=59 wrote:The sound is disgusting, and I hate it. Might be an emulation issue, I dunno.
... I can't seriously believe it's an emulation issue.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

So what's the song that r'rrcow recognised? Is it from Sonic Battle/Advance 3? If i had the know-how, i'd love to make a patch for this game that overhauls all the overworld music to sound non-terrible, but not only would it not be worth it, it would be a slippery slope of me wanting to also change the gameplay to make it less of a chore, right down to removing the features that make the game distinctive by doing things like giving everyone the Ferox effect by default. And fixing the graphics to get rid of the JPEG-like dithering all over the images. And replacing all the bizarre and bad-sounding sfx. And... you get it. All for a weird aberration of a game that no one wants to play in the first place.

More pressingly, does Amy calling Sonic her boyfriend count as a Bioware romance scene?

(shout-out to "run in there, spines flashing" being a fun replacement for "run in there, guns blazing")
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
helucard

Post by helucard »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago So what's the song that r'rrcow recognised? Is it from Sonic Battle/Advance 3?
Big Arms, sonic 3.
Here's the track:
For comparison, the theme of Nocturne:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

it's really impressive how the song, which is awful right from the start, somehow manages to get worse and worse as it goes

not to mention that it passes through the original loop three times and every loop is different and bad in a different way
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
helucard

Post by helucard »

... So I got curious about their evading midfight, and I looked into it.
Dodging for a turn restores PP, right? So I thought "What if enemies evade to restore lost PP? That'd be a reasonable feature to balance the battle system, keeping enemies even with players, outside of them using items."

So I went to take a look at enemy stats to see what the PP situation was.
Here's the stats of those Decurions - spoilered for obvious reasons...
... They don't actually have PP... Evade is an ability similar to Leech Blade.
... They're effectively using a POW move to become invincible, but have no limit to doing so.
So they do, in fact, just dodge for dodging's sake, and are capable of continuing to do so ad infinitum... That's disappointing.

You know, at least this isn't the uhh... rather infamous

Mot

fight in Shin Megami Tensei 3

in which it uses Beast Eye to give itself more moves with which to attack you, heal itself, cure its debuffs, or debuff you, but it has no limit to that other than MP, of which it has 3,000 points. Beast Eye costs 1mp... This means that this thing can effectively give itself as many turns as it needs to just decimate you, and there's nothing you can do about it except prepare a team to try to void its attacks so that when it fails to hurt them, it expends those turns at greater cost. That strategy is flawed in that it can cast Megidolaon, of which you aren't getting ANYONE that's remotely resistant to it...

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Donut

Post by Donut »

To be fair in regards to that SMT spoiler,

in my experience Mot has never been that unfair. It's more about what it can do, rather than what's likely to happen. In practice you can kill it pretty fast once you figure out its weakness and it will probably not use beast eye more than two times per turn. I'd argue Aciel's Sol Niger + attack Demi-Fiend is a far worse offender, since it's basically a 25% chance of an instant game over.

But yeah, this evade nonsense adds absolutely nothing to the game, and I cannot fathom why they thought it was a good idea, let alone something to give to half the enemies in the endgame.
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

for you and me.png
for you and me.png (116.42 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Sonic, you fool! You can't defeat the giant spear man underwater!
helucard wrote: 1 year agoBig Arms, sonic 3.
Here's the track:
... Oh. Oh wow. Now i can't unhear it and how pathetic the whole affair is.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Looking forward to what might be the finale tomorrow. Honestly, it can go either way, because one aspect of the final boss kinda hones in on what raocow struggled with throughout the game. I honestly wouldn't blame him if he used savestates between phases. Good luck!!

I'll definitely give it to raocow that this is much more of a niche style of RPG than I think many would like. I honestly do like these super involved mechanics where you have to do these action commands to get attacks to work best; it's why I love the Mario & Luigi series and older Paper Mario games. A lot of your casual turn-based RPGs are kinda boring to me because they really just boil down to menu simulators in my mind, so having something to actually do in order to execute attacks properly is right up my alley. I definitely see his point that using Sonic as a vessel for a niche RPG is kind of not the best idea, but hey, Sonic's not exactly a stranger to being in weird and unorthodox games!!
VGjoe

Re: THE Last Non-Sonic Super Until Mania - Chronicles: the Dark Brotherhood - Boingkidding

Post by VGjoe »

the big ol' copypasta of sonicles ring count
Green Hill - CRASHED

Green Hill - 107

Green Hill - 0
Central City - 8

Central City - 61

Central City - 36

Central City - 0
Green Hill - 44

Central City - 0
Mystic Ruins - 33