(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: All The S@nics - Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car - The Game of The Movie of The Game

Post by Crow »

so this is technically the first game to feature the spin dash, correct?
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Heavy Sigh

Re: All The S@nics - Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car - The Game of The Movie of The Game

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Sonic Eraser (ソニックイレイザー) is a downloadable 1991 puzzle game made for Sega's "Sega Game Toshokan" , an online game downloading service for the Sega Mega Drive in Japan. Because the service was long defunct by the end of the Mega Drive's lifespan, the game was unknown to much of the Sonic community...until 2004.

In early 2004, Sega launched an online game renting service on their Japanese website, which, for a small fee per game, allowed users to download and play original Mega Drive games. In the selection were a number of games only released on the Sega Game Toshokan system.

In February 2004, Phugolz, owner of the major Sonic fandom website Sonic CulT, discovered the online service and purchased several unreleased Sega Meganet games games, including Sonic Eraser. The ROMs were packaged with a licensed version of the emulator 'Gens' and came in the form of encrypted CD images that could only be loaded by the software provided by Sega. Nemesis, a capable sonic hacker, almost immediately created a tool capable of descrambling the encrypted images into normal ISO images. Once in the form of an ISO, the ROMs were released on Sonic CulT.

The game was also planned to be released as part of Sonic Gems Collection, but was cut for unknown reasons, its only evidence a deleted reference in the game's files.
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - Eraser - welp

Post by Grounder »

In my defense, I (mis?) remembered rao saying that he wasn't going to play this, and it doesn't have a known release date beyond year.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The Sønics - Wakfu is a cartoon few people out of France seem to know

Post by Awoo »

HiroshiMishima wrote: 4 years ago This is it, this is the origin of Mecha Sonic. Embittered over his defeat, he set out for Robotropolis to get himself a promotion.

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

kurt91 wrote: 4 years agoDoes this mean that we're going to start seeing things like a ROM of the combination arcade video game/popcorn machine?
if you mean

the 1993 Segaconic Popcorn Shop

, he was at least told about it beforehand in the patapon spotzone.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

The Sega Genesis soundchip, although perfectly capable of producing some seriously banger music as the Sonic games themselves will come to prove, has typically put out via lesser games melodies that I can only reckon to be toasters farting.

Today's video, the toasters must've got a nasty stomach bug from somewhere.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Just a preview of the sonic spinball ost tbh
Though that one has some bangers regardless of its grating soundfont
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago Just a preview of the sonic spinball ost tbh
Though that one has some bangers regardless of its grating soundfont
I was about to get mad, Sonic Spinball has only one absolute stinker and the composition of it is actually fine.

It does of course have one of the best boss themes in the classic era, despite the

absolutely demonic noises the bosses all made

Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago Sonic Spinball has only one absolute stinker
after growing up with this game on a Model 2, hearing a Model 1 playing that song is downright refreshing
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

The Master System port of Sonic the Hedgehog is a _very_ loose adaptation of the Mega Drive original, with simplified gameplay and a partially different set of levels (same zones, but with all new layouts). Though overseen by Sonic Team, most of the game was created by an external development studio, Ancient, in their first collaboration with Sega. It was also then ported to the Game Gear, where the screen resolution is smaller, but the color palette is actually greater.
Sebby19

Re: All The S@nics - 1 (8-Bit) - Bridging The Generation Gap

Post by Sebby19 »

I think I randomly found this online (or something extremely similar), and played some of it.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

The version they put on the 3DS is the Game Gear version, so I guess I'm dealing with heavy screen crunch for my follow-along!

One difference I've seen so far is that there are a few ledges with warning signs on them, so you know when it's a bad time to fall. The other difference I've seen is that the screen crunch is so bad... that Robotnik is never out of range, and you can beat him before he even starts descending.

Also, I think those down-arrow monitors are checkpoints?
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

again

sonic can just kind of run past

also yeah the arrow boxes are checkpoints
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Sopnics - 1 (8-Bit) - Bridging The Generation Gap Bridge Zone

Post by Awoo »

Oh, man, so much nostalgia!
This is one of the first video games I ever played back in the day, this and the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES we had.

shame raocow missed the first emerald, but in the video description he said he'd go back for it? you can't go back for any of the emeralds in this or the 2nd game as far as I know.

raocow had better be super careful about Sonic 2 for the SMS. The emeralds are super easy to miss and you miss the entire final zone if you don't get them all, and you get the bad ending. Yet another game I played the absolute heck out of as a kid.

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew

Post by DinnerSonic »

All the Green Hill Zones count:
  • 2 Green Hill Zones
  • 6 Green Hill Zone Acts total
Blivsey mentioned this already, but in the Game Gear version, Dr. Robotnik is closer to the ground so he's still on screen despite the shorter screen size. I cut out a clip from a YouTube boss run of that version to show just how difficult it is. That way you can avoid 28 year old spoilers!
(source)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

here we are, this is what i've been excited for. isocitration did a great LP of sonic 1,2,3,K,CD but now i can see those weird 8bit sonic games that people don't play so much.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So I looked it up and there is exactly 1 Chaos Emerald in each Zone. No room for error here, miss one and you're boned.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

for the sake of the lp I might need a savestate or something for later games but let's not jump to conclusion immediately
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

I recall watching a speedrun of this game once, or a longplay.. can't remember. Anyways, point is I was always surprised by how different the 8-Bit Sonics were to the Genesis versions. I hadn't even known they existed on the Master System until years later, only heard of the Game Gear ones. So outside of having seen the SMS/GG playthroughs like.. once, years ago, this is effectively a blind watch for me.

I'm appreciating this, just like I did the DOS games for Megaman.

Also, regret to inform that I'm getting baby/kid videos in the recommendations again. It was a nice few weeks without them.
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago It does of course have one of the best boss themes in the classic era, despite the

absolutely demonic noises the bosses all made

That boss theme absolutely slaps to this day, and it's not even the best song in the game.
Last edited by CrispyMWHC 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

sonicthehedgehog.corn

for some reason the master system/game gear sonics never clicked with me. it'll be interesting to see raocow play them all the way through because i've never bothered to on my own. that said, i should probably try the master system sonic 1 again sometime because i get the feeling its level design and controls suit my tastes more than the other master system/game gear titles would
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

There was a point about a decade ago I figured I'd finally get around to playing the original Sonic games cause I'd heard they're good, so I bought Sonic 1-3 and & Knuckles on Wii VC, but I guess I wasn't informed enough about how these games were released and I bought this version of Sonic 1 and thought this was just the first game. It's kinda confusing that there was a downgraded home console version of the first game that came out after a superior version earlier. I don't think I can name another game that's done that.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago There was a point about a decade ago I figured I'd finally get around to playing the original Sonic games cause I'd heard they're good, so I bought Sonic 1-3 and & Knuckles on Wii VC, but I guess I wasn't informed enough about how these games were released and I bought this version of Sonic 1 and thought this was just the first game. It's kinda confusing that there was a downgraded home console version of the first game that came out after a superior version earlier. I don't think I can name another game that's done that.
A bunch of SNES games got terribly downgraded Game Boy "ports", that's not a home console of course but the principle stays the same, I think. Especially the 16 -> 8 bit switch.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

That they were both home console versions is kinda the main point. Tons of console games are given downgraded portable versions, like every crappy third party Wii game had a crappy DS version too. Although those usually launched alongside. This not only was given a downgraded home console port, but it came after the fact too. I can't think of another example of that.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago That they were both home console versions is kinda the main point. Tons of console games are given downgraded portable versions, like every crappy third party Wii game had a crappy DS version too. Although those usually launched alongside. This not only was given a downgraded home console port, but it came after the fact too. I can't think of another example of that.
Mostly just licensed titles for the PS2, after their PS3 counterpart already launched, because they were developed by a second-rung studio. Sonic 8-bit is a weird outlier in so many ways.