(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: All The S@nics - CD - ...The Problem's Chronic!

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Oh, so that's where that TSRP2R background comes from.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The S@nics - CD - ...The Quadrant of Quartz!

Post by Awoo »

Yeah, those special stages are... quite a thing!

One thing that kind of irks me about the US soundtrack is the way the "stage clear" theme goes. Like, it starts, goes for a little bit, starts again, and then ends. Why does it have that weird interlude? I'm probably being way too nit-picky here, but, is it just me?

Fun Sonic Trivia time!

Apparently there was a weird tech demo for the Saturn that used the music from the original Quartz Quadrant's Good Future

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

sonicgetout.jpg
sonicgetout.jpg (21.27 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
pure bullshit, that is
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Congratulations on the 4th Time Stone.

One notable difference for the original PC version is the loading times. Every time you time warp, or just beat the stage, there would be a loading screen you would have to stare at. While loading times sucks, you do get to see the little planet all at once.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man, and I'm already finding the time warping experience less than seamless
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

double posting to say, looking at the thumbnail, that ac snail is a real cutie
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Whilst one would think that time traveling would take shape in playing like the newer boost sonics, it's actually all about becoming a Perpetual Sonic Machine
ImageImage
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

it's infuriating how much you have to actively fight against a mechanic which by all accounts should be cool and incredibly fun. i don't think this game was designed. at least in regards to gameplay.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago man, and I'm already finding the time warping experience less than seamless
Yeah, the time warping animation is supposed to hide the loading times, but it can only do so much what with Sega CD having 1X speed (150 KB/s). This isn't a cartridge.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Quartz Quadrant is the whatever zone/round/whatever they want to call the areas in this game to me. Not much going on here other than conveyors and occasional stalactites.

[Sonic CD Special Stage Pro Tips]
1) Jump earlier than you think you need to for the UFOs. Sonic's hang time is greater in those for whatever reason.

2) Don't be afraid to use the fans. They're perfect for both flying above dangerous spots and popping those targets.

3)

The UFOs have set flight patterns in their special stages. Figure them out, and you'll have an easier time.

First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Funky Sonic fax!

A lot of people don't know this, but when developing this game, Sega actually forced a neural network to play over 1000 hours of Sonic 1 and 2, and then used it to procedurally generate all of the levels in Sonic CD. So next time you find yourself thinking, "Wow, these levels are really counter-intuitively designed and don't seem to accommodate the time-traveling mechanics at all," remember: that little robot was just trying its best, okay?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

So even putting aside how these levels don't seem to be made in a way that incentivizes use of the time travel mechanic that's the main theme of this game -- what even is the point of the future at all? I get that there's a bad future by default, and you can travel to the past and destroy the machine to make a good future, but is there any reason to actually go to the future once the machine is destroyed in the past? You'd have to screw around finding future signs and places to build speed just so you can see a different tileset? Why would you do that?

Post by 10204307 »

The Good Future is theoretically easier since it doesn't have any enemies, but it takes so much effort to get there from the past that it really isn't worth it. If you manage to get all of the time stones early in the game, you could go to the future right away at the start of each act in order to bypass some of the difficulty, but getting the time stones is already pretty difficult, and in a lot of the levels you have to go out of your way to find a good place to time travel.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

If you're not going for breaking all the machines or whatever, the time travel thing can be just a fun cool thing on its own merits, like when you're a kid and such
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

can confirm i thought the time travel was rad even when i was Child and didn't know about the machines at all
i've honestly never played a video game in my life

Post by 10204307 »

It's cool conceptually, and seeing the zones in different time periods is genuinely very interesting, especially since the game has great music and aesthetics. The problem is that because it's so hard to do, it really makes you only want to do it when there's an actual reward for doing so (ie, getting the good ending of the game). The mechanic itself is fine, but the execution is flawed. If you were to make a Sonic game with a time travel mechanic that works entirely identically to how it works in Sonic CD but with better level design to accommodate it, that game could actually be really good, provided the zones were equally as interesting.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

I liked the idea of making them like Sonic 2 special stages, having star circles appear above the Past/Future signs if you fulfill a certain requirement (one that isn't a hassle to do while playing normally).

Maybe 20-30 rings as fare? Having it cut into your Ring supply would give you a minor dilemma between using your Rings to search for generators or saving them for the end of the stage to try for the Time Stone.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

It's too bad they put all that time and effort into making 4 variations of the stage but never came up with a good gameplay excuse to get you to see them. I could see a kid wanting to see the good future for every level so they took the time to do that just cause you want to see a version of the level you haven't seen before, but after that it's like... why bother?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Honestly, there's one shockingly simple fix you could make.

Remove the present. Start in Bad Future, with lots of enemies; only Past signs, replace current Future signs with enemies or environmental hazards. Likewise, the past has plenty of Future signs, which are both traps if you're not ready to return yet, or useful for navigating. Finally, replace the GOAL signs in the past with Future signs - Levels can only be exited in the Future state, whether Good or Bad. This encourages players to see the ramifications of their actions or lack thereof, and still encourages both speedy playthroughs and explorative playthroughs alike.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago # of hits bosses have taken, up to this point:

Palmtree Panic: 3
Collision Chaos: 3
Tidal Tempest: 1

Let's see how this trend continues!
Quartz Quadrant: 1 (?) does it count if it doesn't make him flash
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So while the previous boss I think is the most unique and best one... today's boss I think is the worst one in the entire game.

Next.
Wait, no, I know what's next. Crud.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

C O M E D Y

Also that boss was a neat concept, but like every other boss in this game just feels half-baked.

Also music time

And two of my favorite Temporal Duality tracks

Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

The camera pans back.
ImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

This is why I won't watch raocow on the Switch since I can't find a way to get video descriptions. The descriptions are important canon raocow content
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.