(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - SegaSonic the Hedgehog - Watch out! You're gonna crash! Ahh!

Post by Grounder »

no tossed salads and scrambled eggs?

i mean, the prime opportunity was definitely sonic 2 8bit but this was the right year for it

aww
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Re: All The S@nics - SegaSonic the Hedgehog - Watch out! You're gonna crash! Ahh!

Post by Super Llama »

Technically there's one more official Master System game after the one that's coming up, but only if you live in Brazil.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

also dont forget sonic the fighters rao

an arcade game with home ports
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Today, Sonic ran in circles inside a tower while it shredded itself and then exploded.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The S@nics - SegaSonic the Fighters!

Post by Awoo »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago also dont forget sonic the fighters rao

an arcade game with home ports
I was about to post this, please don't forget Sonic the Fighters!

Honey the Cat is best character. Shame she's not in much of anything else after since she has a super cute design. A++ would wife her

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah it's true I forgot about sonic the fighter, turns out I subconsciously associate it with the gamecube :I
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Someone (who is not me) should tally up how many tokens raocow used in this playthrough, figure out how much a typical arcade token costed at the time of this game's release, adjust for inflation and figure out how much money this playthrough cost
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Someone (who is not me) should tally up how many tokens raocow used in this playthrough, figure out how much a typical arcade token costed at the time of this game's release, adjust for inflation and figure out how much money this playthrough cost
According to SomeGuy712x raocow died 23 times. He also lost 5 credits when he had to reload his save-state. And then threw in 6 more credits when he had to replay the tower.I think he ended up putting in 34 credits in total.

The usual buy in price for an arcade in 1993 was usually two or four quarters. (speaking from vague memories applicable in this scenario since SegaSonic was only released in Japan you'd have to look at the value of the Japanese Yen and USDollar in 1993 compared to today's values in order get a proper answer)

Since 1993 the U.S dollar has experienced an average inflation rate of 2.23% per year. So the price has changed by about 77%.

This means that it would have cost raocow fifty cents per credit and he put in 34 credits [(25cents x2) x 34]
He spent 68 quarters or $17.00 to beat the game.

Each cent in 1993 is worth 77% more than a cent in 2019.
17.00 x1.77 = $30.09

I wouldn't make a SMW level on my math, but raocow owes Sega Thirty dollars now, He'll have to do the conversion to Canadian himself.

[If I could delete my post for being wrong and useless I would]
Last edited by Zummorr 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Someone (who is not me) should tally up how many tokens raocow used in this playthrough, figure out how much a typical arcade token costed at the time of this game's release, adjust for inflation and figure out how much money this playthrough cost
This game was only released in Japan, so all monetary values are going to be in yen by default. From what I can tell, 1 credit was usually worth 100 yen at the time of the game's release, though the price has gone up since then.

-If we're not counting the doomed timeline where raocow blew up and game overed, it's 21 credits, or 2,100 yen. If we're counting the extra credits left in the machine, it's 26 credits, or 2,600 yen.
-If we're ARE counting the doomed timeline, it's 23 credits, or 2,300 yen. With the extra credits it's 28, or 2,800 yen.

Adjusting for inflation:

-2,100 yen in 1993 money = Approx 2,216 yen in 2019 money
-2,300 yen in 1993 money = Approx 2,427 yen in 2019 money
-2,600 yen in 1993 money = Approx 2,744 yen in 2019 money
-2,800 yen in 1993 money = Approx 2,955 yen in 2019 money

Exchanging into both US and Canadian dollars:

2,216 yen --> $20.83 USD or $27.54 CAD
2,427 yen --> $22.81 USD or $30.17 CAD
2,744 yen --> $25.79 USD or $34.11 CAD
2,955 yen --> $27.78 USD or $36.73 CAD

So this LP cost raocow anywhere from $27 and change to $36 and change in fictional Canadian dollars. And that's only taking into account 1993 Japanese arcade credit costs.

So the moral of the story is that being a gamer in Japan is fucking expensive.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

for reference, here's the game on real hardware
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

This game was pretty interesting, i'd be intrigued to try it out sometime. I do have an old trackball mouse, and my pc has ports for it, so who knows.
ImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The S@nics - SegaSonic the Fighters!

Post by KobaBeach »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago

Honey the Cat is best character. Shame she's not in much of anything else after since she has a super cute design. A++ would wife her

i have the biggest crush on

bark

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

extremely digressive, but dang, i forgot how much the yen refuses to inflate. that's 5.5% over 26 years, and 0.2% yearly!!!
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - Chaos - LEATHER, LACE, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!

Post by Grounder »

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (75.57 KiB) Viewed 3900 times

rest well, blue buddy :cry:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Sonic Chaos - LEATHER, LACE, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! Toot Toot Sonic Warrior

Post by Awoo »

Sonic Chaos! Easily my favorite Game Gear game from back in the day. I hope you have as much fun with this as I did back then, raocow :pal:

Also, raocow, if you want to know about the Chaos Emeralds:

they are important, and determine something about the ending. You actually got super close to getting an opportunity to get one in the first stage

But that's all I'll say about that! I hope that's not too spoilery!
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

may flights of angels send thee to thy rest
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Ah, Sonic Chaos. My favorite of the 8-bit Sonic games (which may not be saying much).

Chaos Emeralds

are in the game, though I think it's just a minor good/bad ending type thing without any extra stages attached. If I remember right, getting them involves collecting 100 rings, at which point you're transported to a special stage and have a fairly short time limit to find and collect the Chaos Emerald.

thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I think a lot of folks here remember Sonic Chaos a lot because they played that the most out of the GG games. I'm definitely one of them. Played the hell out of it when I was a kid, never finished it (though I may have in my college years on a whim via emulator).

That said...anyone else feel like the SMS version of the music sounds a little...thin?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Sonic Chaoses - YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING, SO DON'T EVEN TRY. GET SOME HELP

Post by Awoo »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago I think a lot of folks here remember Sonic Chaos a lot because they played that the most out of the GG games. I'm definitely one of them. Played the hell out of it when I was a kid, never finished it (though I may have in my college years on a whim via emulator).

That said...anyone else feel like the SMS version of the music sounds a little...thin?
It is! Like Sonic 2 for GG/MS there's differences and outright track changes between the two. Kind of lame, if you ask me :/

I totally don't remember how many zones are in this, but it's definitely also the GG game I played the most as a kid, next to Sonic 1 and I think there were a few other weird licensed games we used to have.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew

Post by DinnerSonic »

I swear Sonic Chaos seemed to start off a lot more exciting when I was a kid. Then again, playing SONIC THE HEDGEHOG AND ALSO TAILS BUT ON A HANDHELD probably was exciting either way to kid-me, even if that handheld was attached to an AC adapter at all times. Still, at least you don't need a trackball!

Oh yeah, new Hill Zone for the list!

All The Hill Zones tally:
  • 3 Green Hill Zones
  • 9 Green Hill Zone Acts total
  • 3 versions of the Nakamura GHZ theme
  • 5 (some kinda) Hill Zones
  • 14 (some kinda) Hill Zone Acts total
  • also forgot HILL top zone was a thing back in Sonic 2 so that counts maybe?

(... should Hill Top Zone just count as a (something) Hill Zone? It was a recolor of Emerald Hill, but it felt a bit different, so I kinda forgot to add it until now.)
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: All The Sonic Chaoses - YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING, SO DON'T EVEN TRY. GET SOME HELP

Post by thatguyif »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago I think a lot of folks here remember Sonic Chaos a lot because they played that the most out of the GG games. I'm definitely one of them. Played the hell out of it when I was a kid, never finished it (though I may have in my college years on a whim via emulator).

It is! Like Sonic 2 for GG/MS there's differences and outright track changes between the two. Kind of lame, if you ask me :/

I totally don't remember how many zones are in this, but it's definitely also the GG game I played the most as a kid, next to Sonic 1 and I think there were a few other weird licensed games we used to have.
I hope they didn't ruin

Aqua Planet Zone

:(

I do recall the game being on the short side. Also, that first boss was indeed meant to be super easy: It doesn't attack at all, and its main gimmick is basically that, like those ladybugs you saw in the stages, it has a (very powerful) spring on top. It just meant that you had to use your spin dash or roll to defeat it.

Also also, regarding the SMS/GG thing, raocow: This game didn't get "ported" to the Game Gear. Because the console and handheld were sharing much of the same hardware, the two versions were developed concurrently. The Game Gear version was released a couple weeks after the SMS version. Why the SMS version came first is anyone's guess.
DinnerSonic wrote: (... should Hill Top Zone just count as a (something) Hill Zone? It was a recolor of Emerald Hill, but it felt a bit different, so I kinda forgot to add it until now.)
Nah. Hill Top Zone wasn't a recolor of Emerald Hill, it's quite different in terms of mechanics and theme. (More vertical, lava segments, crusher segments, etc.)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

When I was little, this was my favorite of the 8-bit Sonics. As an adult it feels kind of empty and just kind of there, though.

I think part of it was that it was much less difficult than the prior ones, though maybe too much so. It was the first one I beat of them, and I don't think I game overed even once. And I was even worse at games then than I am now.

I also really loved (what I see as) the game's central gimmick, which raocow did not interact with today:

There are two ways to beat a level--get to the sign at the end, or get 100 rings and be warped to a special stage.

Again, I'm not sure what I think about that now.
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Oh man, hearing the music in this video gave me an insane nostalgia blast. I played this game a LOT on my game gear--this, Sonic 2, Triple Trouble, and power rangers where pretty much all I ever played on that thing. I'm looking forward to this one.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

DinnerSonic wrote: 4 years ago (... should Hill Top Zone just count as a (something) Hill Zone? It was a recolor of Emerald Hill, but it felt a bit different, so I kinda forgot to add it until now.)
I feel like Hill Top Zone has too much of its own identity with the lava and lifts and that funky music to be a "* Hill Zone" clone.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

who will bake the pie...
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*