(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KIPdeKIP

Re: All the S@nics - Black Knight - Knightcore

Post by KIPdeKIP »

This was posted in the YouTube comments but I felt the need to echo it here:

When the game the game wants you to shake it displays a waggling Wii remote icon. You were too early almost every time.

(I don't remember if every situation in the game displays it but this boss does.)

Little bit of backseating because I want you to keep enjoying the game.
King of GETs

Post by King of GETs »

I had a feeling there would be an "episode zero" thanks to King Arthur, but I didn't want to mention it as different people have completely different experiences with this boss. Some defeat it super easy, and others don't continue playing after experiencing it. I actually never finished Sonic and the Black Knight due to how boring I found the stages to be, how annoying this boss was, and general Sonic fatigue accumulation around the time this game came out. On the flip side, I enjoyed Sonic Shuffle very much, and Sonic 2006 was tolerable compared to this. I'm still confident raocow can push through this boss and continue the playthrough...somehow.

If A Hat in Time is allowed to have a day to itself, then maybe this boss can have a day to itself—if it is 100% necessary.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
QuiEstFaba
Une machine pour faire des vaches

Post by QuiEstFaba »

Hey, who wrote "Avalon?"
There's a few from 2009 that I found, and I'm not sure it's any one of them.
Thanks.
One sunny morning you get up, and you make your will, and you pass the salt to the people who care about you, but you never know who's talking to you....
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

hey the return of these posts!

cryonic kings of avalon
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It was pretty clear that the story would probably continue, but i am glad they stuck the end credits immediately after Sonic slays King Arthur and let you end the game with no closure and zero context as to what any of what you were doing was about. It's hilariously absurd and abrupt in a way that only Sonic Chronicles can match in the series so far.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

The fact that there are people who really saw those obvious fakeout credits and thought "yup, that's the end of the game" is yet another sad reminder that a significant number of people in the world have exactly 0 deductive capability. :ehh:
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

But also after that "final boss" I can imagine a lot of people - children and reviewers alike - who would be more "thank goodness I'm done with that" and never play it again, either because they've got a review to write or just straight up better games to play after that mess.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

"Hey boss, I know the day just started, but I had to lift some real heavy cargo and that was annoying, so I'm going home."
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

More like "thank god I'm done with the hedgehog game, I'm gonna put some more time into Assassin's Creed II."

Literally the same thing happened with some NieR: Automata day 1 reviews.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

no offense to the people who write some of the unhinged articles on kotaku, it's legit one of my favorite gaming sites now somehow?, but gaming journalism was always such a scam

even in the era of old gaming magazines. and i dont just mean the idiots who blindly gave rise of the robots the highest scores possible
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Oh yeah? So are you saying my parents are pulling out the swords I put in stones out back?
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

camwoodstock wrote: 1 year ago Image
i like to imagine king arthur is like a wooden metal sonic or something
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 1 year ago Oh yeah? So are you saying my parents are pulling out the swords I put in stones out back?
well no, because everyone knows that the proper method of receiving a sword is from a strange woman in a pond, or simply spawning with it at the start of the level. and the only thing that'll take the latter one away from you are scripting, oremites, or a weapon token. haven't done enough testing on that first one.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

just add them to your actor's default equipment on the database
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Something I realized today as the game pulled the player character on yet another autoscroller ride where you either can do nothing but watch or lazily swing a few times: Secret Rings was obviously awful to control, but at least it had level design. Every stage in Black Knight is completely linear, no upper or lower paths, with very few exceptions where you can stay high. And even if they had side paths or little secrets, you'd only find a treasure chest with a random thing to identify for a crafting system that's very minorly useful at best, or an equipment you already have. So they don't really bother.

Everything in BK is built around the combat system, with the points you get mostly being combo and multikill things, most items are random drops, if you excel at combat you get more followers and more stars which make you better at combat. However, the combat isn't...good?! Most enemies just die in one hit anyway, there's no real need to improve your damage. They obviously want you to replay levels a bunch of times to grind out the follower maximum and get five stars, but...why? Just to craft more weapons that they don't even tell you what they do?

Again, say what you will about Secret Rings, but it at least had cleverly hidden red rings (e.g. in those missions where you can fulfil the objective really early, but the ring is right before the end), you could get good at the platforming and could master levels, not the best time to waggle, and there was a real point to improving Sonic, with billions of skills to make the game play better, actual "builds" you could make, and so on.

I've said before that I only played half of BK and got stymied by the fakeout boss, felt like I was missing something, but watching this, I don't think I was? The game's just empty. I don't get it.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i mean i'd rather play an empty boring game that something that literally doesn't work bro
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago i mean i'd rather play an empty boring game that something that literally doesn't work bro
I simply wouldn't play either

(that's a lie from the guy who 100%s Sonic 06 on camera)
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Shitposting aside, a bad game is a billion times more interesting than a mediocre, boringly competent one. Digging for diamonds in the rough is a great time especially if you actually find some, eating gruel is fine it you literally have nothing else oh wait I just got a report, you can play almost any game that exists for free
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I do agree that a game that has significant flaws but is interesting would be more fun than a safe but dull one, but it depends on how you qualify "boring". A game does not have to put up a fight with challenging difficulty to be enjoyable - at least, the said game doesn't have to be a challenge all the time. A more easygoing experience, like today's A Hat in Time video, can be appreciated if there are elements that make the experience enjoyable, such as story and aesthetics. This is where genres such as visual novels come in.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im not going to debate anyone i just think secret rings is unfun and im the bitch whos trying to beat hydlide 2 legit
Image Image
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Todays boss fight features one of my favorite of the modern sonic songs. Though I admit for a long time, due to a poorly labeled video, I thought the song was called "All Ends With Me"

Turns out All Ends is the band. Who knew?
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I will give Black Knight credit: It actually makes decent use of its source material, namely Le Morte d'Arthur. I mentioned the scabbard before, but it also leverages the fall of Camelot pretty well as a plot point. The split between Lancelot and Gawain Merlina mentioned did indeed happen, and that triggered the end of the Round Table, leading to the death of Arthur. It's a bit awkward of a mention, because the split was caused by events concerning a major Arthurian character not in this game, Guinevere. (Long story short: Lancelot killed a bunch of Gawain's brothers while rescuing his paramour Guinevere from burning at the stake after their affair was discovered. Cue Vengeance, Bloody Vengeance)

Merlina herself is interesting. One could argue that's she's a composite character, but I feel like she's really just one character under a different name: Morgan le Fay, the sorceress and sister of King Arthur. She also apprenticed under Merlin. Her character arc in the Arthurian cycles is...interesting to say the least. She's both a hero and a villain at the same time. Helpful in some cases, very vicious in others. Very sexually active, she slept with her mentor among others and was desperate to have Lancelot. In Le Morte d'Arthur, she is King Arthur's sworn enemy, but is also the one who heals Arthur on his journey to Avalon. Merlina shares many of these traits, so it's hard not to imagine her being Morgan in reality. I suspect they made the name change because: A. Morgan's a less common figure discussed in the mythos, especially outside literary circles, B. Morgan's ambiguous nature probably would've made the plot twist much easier to spot ahead of time.

It's interesting that Sonic actually espouses a certain philosophical notion when it comes to the eternal kingdom: Kingdoms, empires, nations, states...they all will die eventually. Nothing is eternal, and those who seek such eternity are doomed to accelerate the process. It's an interesting (albeit shallow) viewpoint to have. Certainly not something that was ever really followed up on in future games. But then, that's never really the point with Sonic...
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

SEGA making their OC the one true King Arthur is the most Sonic thing ever.