(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The SOUPER S@nics - 3&K - Invincible

Post by Blivsey »

Yeah, and I'm posting them one at a time so people have them when they're relevant!

I like this track quite a lot, too, though I know Ice Cap Genesis has its fans (im not one of them oops). The PC theme fits the outdoor sections of the zone really well, ESPECIALLY the snowboard section.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago In the United Kingdom, Sega commissioned pop group Right Said Fred to compose a song connected to the game. Thw song, "Wonderman", was released with a music video utilizing Sonic the Hedgehog imagery as well as using Steve O'Donnell, the face of Sega's advertising in Europe. The track peaked on the U.K. Singles Chart at #55.
kurt91 wrote: Rather than a TON of video links and embedding
What's that you say? More embeds in the Sonic thread? Coming right up!

Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

there's something about the pc ice cap song which make it sound really sonic-y, but not really s3&k-y

subsequently it kinda has less personality than genesis, but i still dig it. also made me consciously aware of the fact that i don't really think sonic 3's music sounds like the previous games', which is neat
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

nyoro~n
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Everyone is scooping everyone, it's getting all spoopy in here :kood:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun 'already said by raocow in todays video'!

While in the west Sonic 3 was released in February, the game would not see release in Japan until May of that year. Though no official word was ever given for the delay, industry scuttlebutt had it that Sega was planning on releasing a 24-megabit version of the cartridge in Japan, fearing a loss of overall sales from forcing consumers to buy two games instead of just one. However, the public refused to wait, buying the American version from import shops en masse. Though plausible at the time, the rumor didn't have much evidence behind it, and so the whole thing was forgotten.

However, years later it was discovered that Sega actually had planned on releasing a Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Limited Edition that would take the two halves and release them as a single cart. While work on this version of the game continued for a strangely long while, but it was ultimately shelved, likely due to SEGA finding its fears of poor sales unfounded. Sonic & Knuckles and its Lock-On techno-sorcery would be released in October in all regions, including Japan.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

well over half this video is just redoing to the level over and over again
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Accidental Super Sonic Count: 3

I think this is the first level since Angel Island Act 2 to even acknowledge the existence of bottomless pits. S & K has a higher density of them for sure, but it has no water period to make up for it.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

lemme get uhhhh............. BONUSLESS PIZZA
ImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago
Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago In the United Kingdom, Sega commissioned pop group Right Said Fred to compose a song connected to the game. Thw song, "Wonderman", was released with a music video utilizing Sonic the Hedgehog imagery as well as using Steve O'Donnell, the face of Sega's advertising in Europe. The track peaked on the U.K. Singles Chart at #55.
kurt91 wrote: Rather than a TON of video links and embedding
What's that you say? More embeds in the Sonic thread? Coming right up!

Well, that was beyond weird, but it did achieve one thing. That was commissioned by Sega themselves, meaning it's official. That factory-type building that was in the video was named "Hydrocity Zone". Obviously, if it's going to have the same name, it would have the same pronunciation. That building looks absolutely nothing like a city of any sort, so the only way that it would make sense for the two locations to have the same name would be if "Hydrocity" is pronounced as a single word, similar to "luminocity", "velocity", or "hypocrisy". It is NOT pronounced as two words, like "Hydro City".

We now have absolute official evidence as to the correct way to pronounce "Hydrocity".
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I cannot look at those Icecap Penguin bots without thinking of the infamously rude Robotnik comic edits, specifically this one (NSFW language):
They just have an expression that I find hilarious, too.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

okay i keep complaining about genesis act 1s and act 2s being near identical but the pc version does it too here oops
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

kurt91 wrote: 4 years ago We now have absolute official evidence as to the correct way to pronounce "Hydrocity".
In contrast, a bunch of officially-licensed stuff spells it with a space, like the Sonic Mania OST and the Archie comics. It's still ambiguous!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I mean I wasn't going to contest it since it didn't seem that serious but, like, that building may not be a City, but it's not really a Zone either. In real life, too, pizza huts aren't actually huts! That's how names work
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

i have never seen one atom of hydrogen in hydrocity, so i have to assume it's actually pronounced "heedro" because it cannot be based on the pronunciation of hydrogen
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

I know a lot of people don't like the Ice Cap Act 2 music, and I understand why, but personally I think it's a cool minimalist remix of the song. It's really interesting what sort of effect you can get just by altering when certain instruments play.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

10204307 wrote: 4 years ago I know a lot of people don't like the Ice Cap Act 2 music, and I understand why, but personally I think it's a cool minimalist remix of the song. It's really interesting what sort of effect you can get just by altering when certain instruments play.
I really love it myself, the core theme sets a base tone that's associated with the cavernous environment, and then the second one seems "icier", colder, and more exposed like thinning air.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

10204307 wrote: 4 years ago I know a lot of people don't like the Ice Cap Act 2 music, and I understand why, but personally I think it's a cool minimalist remix of the song. It's really interesting what sort of effect you can get just by altering when certain instruments play.
i mean from that viewpoint it's an interesting Idea

but when every other act 2 besides these three feels like a followup to its act 1 without being the same song, and all those act 2s are really freaking good because of that choice, it makes these three feel lacking by comparison. They don't match up with how the rest of the game "does it".

Ya feel?
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

I'll be honest, Angel Island and Hydrocity are really the only zones where the Act 2 music is substantially different from the Act 1 music. The "different music for each act" feature is handled much better by Advance and Mania, in my opinion.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I didn't even notice the music was different at all until ice cap zone (and solely because i had been listening to hard times). I don't have a "mind for music"
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow

Post by Crow »

aside from angel island & hydrocity the only other zone where there's a real noticeable gap between act 1 & 2 is lava reef. flying battery does feel different enough to me as well but it's not as stark a contrast as any of those other 3
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

yeah, i'll be perfectly honest, what we've heard so far of different song versions is very underwhelming. most of them are just variations, with phases switched around and sometimes some instruments are removed. i'm more familiar with sonic mania's soundtrack, whose different act musics are wildly different, so this has been kinda disappointing!

like, i have literally never heard carnival night zone act 2, and i hear act 1 constantly!
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts! MUSIC EDITION

Unlike other Sonic games, the music of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 is a bit of an issue for SEGA due to the many, many choices made during development. It is not clear how much of the soundtrack is actually owned by SEGA itself, since it had outsourced music production to third-parties, some of which have distanced themselves from the project in later years.

Masato Nakamura, responsible for the soundtracks to both Sonic 1 and 2, was at the time riding high on a wave of success with his band, Dreams Come True, and that success made him realize just what his time was worth. If SEGA wanted him back for a hypothetical Sonic 3, Nakamura wanted more money; both for whatever he made to score this new game and for if Sega chose to reuse his compositions for any future Sonic titles. However, SEGA, always happy to shoot themselves in the foot for no reason, declined, deciding to look elsewhere for the star-studded musical talent needed in Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

The ramifications of this single decision would lead to one of the most enduring mysteries of the 16-bit era.

Fun Level Facts!

Launch Base Zone's initial concept was conceived as a result of some letters of complaint SEGA had received about Sonic 2, with the common criticism among them that the player never actually got to see Dr. Eggman's Death Egg in any detail despite being the focus of what story there was. Thus the zone was created in order to show off the mad doctor's creation as much as the Mega Drive possibly could.
Crow

Post by Crow »

"alright, who's maintaining the accidental super sonic counter"

i've been noticed
i haven't watched the video yet though. i'll update you in 12 minutes

edit:
Accidental Super Sonic Count: 5