(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Re: A Few Good Somari - Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS) - smash bros at home:

Post by Catabo »

I never thought i'd be nostalgic for mini-games in DS games in particular, but here we are. They were a great change of pace every once in a while during Mario 64 DS for me and added a lot of value to the game. There may not be as many mini-games here (or are there? i don't remember nor do i care to check), but they still give that extra little bit of mileage to whomever was stuck with it as their only DS game on a long car ride.
turtle.png
turtle.png (5.92 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
Overwhelming evidence that the Mario & Sonic universe is distinct from the Mario universe: it's called a turtle shell and not a Koopa shell.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
QuiEstFaba
Une machine pour faire des vaches

Re: A Few Good Somari - Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS) - smash bros at home:

Post by QuiEstFaba »

The crazy thing is I'm actually looking forward to this next round of cell-phone/flash game purgatory.
It's always kind of a crapshoot, but the last round had a bunch of games that were genuinely thought out at best, and even at worst interesting.

also god help me i think i like these guys now

I don't know what it is with me and bands like this It's worth noting this is perhaps the only group whose personnel have worked with both Godspeed You! Black Emperor (whose first demo is finally out on Bandcamp, if you're interested) and Vic Chesnutt, who I've already mentioned.

And while I'm at it

You may recognize some of the names behind this collaboration, even retroactively. Their other projects have included defining names in everything from hip-hop to avant-rock, foremost among them Deerhoof, Hella, Burmese and... Death Grips. Not kidding. Although to be fair, Andy Morin didn't join until well after these sessions. You may want to lower your volume first.
One sunny morning you get up, and you make your will, and you pass the salt to the people who care about you, but you never know who's talking to you....
VGjoe

Post by VGjoe »

Total Rings collected in SEGA SuperStars Tennis: 52
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

SA2 music, Sonic Heroes music, and Sonic 2006 robot shooting things w/ Sonic (Genesis) (the original game Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis not Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for the Nintendo Game Boy Advance) sound effects? This asset re-use is getting out of hand!

Not counting the Sonic Genesis GBA game or side-games like Java phone games and Flash adver-games, is this the first time Sonic is presented with retro sound effects to appeal to the retro crowd? It would make sense since most of the non-Sonic characters in this game are probably already associated with "the good old days" by anyone who knew who they were (who playing a Wii in 2008 would know what Jet Set Radio was?). I mentally associate "modern Sonic with classic sfx" with Smash Bros. Brawl, but that was a little later, right?

Or am i tripping, and juicing the retro cred has been a consistent thing with no gap between Sonic Adventure and now?
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago who playing a Wii in 2008 would know what Jet Set Radio was?
Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure most Nintendo fans would have discovered Hideki Naganuma through Sonic Rush. There may have been a few that owned an Xbox or Dreamcast but I do remember non-Nintendo-stan hardcores considering the Wii to be "casual trash".

At best, I think there was just hype for Zelda, Mario, Smash, but aside from niche titles like No More Heroes and The Last Story, it was generally seen as shovelware central. PS3 was also a garbage fire for a few years, and 360's exclusives were mostly generic brown and bloom fodder. Not to mention the amount of smaller devs that were just hemorrhaging money and closing shop.

God, the 7th gen was shit. Thank god indie devs blew up in popularity at the time.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoNow that you mention it, I'm pretty sure most Nintendo fans would have discovered Hideki Naganuma through Sonic Rush. There may have been a few that owned an Xbox or Dreamcast but I do remember non-Nintendo-stan hardcores considering the Wii to be "casual trash".

At best, I think there was just hype for Zelda, Mario, Smash, but aside from niche titles like No More Heroes and The Last Story, it was generally seen as shovelware central. PS3 was also a garbage fire for a few years, and 360's exclusives were mostly generic brown and bloom fodder. Not to mention the amount of smaller devs that were just hemorrhaging money and closing shop.

God, the 7th gen was shit. Thank god indie devs blew up in popularity at the time.
Man alive, i don't miss the "casual vs HARDCORE" discourse. Being a Nintendo-loyal kid during that generation was tough. I remember pointing out every last game like The Last Story as examples of "look! the Wii does have real games!!!" but not actually buying/playing most of them. Shout-out to The Conduit, which i was hyped for solely because i wanted to have a counterattack against "Wii doesn't have Call of Duty".

There was eventually also a 360 in my house, but my fondest memories of it are of N+, Mega Man 9 (not an exclusive i know, but don't care because i still associate it with the console), and the Halos (which were baby games for babies because they had more colours than just brown). Oh, and the Marble Blast game whose free demo came pre-loaded. That was dope. Point is, indie games saved that console from poopy-brown hell. Okay, Mega Man 9 and Halo aren't indie games. Maybe this paragraph doesn't actually have a point!

(this post is topical because Sonic 4 was part of this era because it's both a retro revival and episodic gaming)
VGjoe

Re: All the S@nics - Sonic the Hedgehog (SEGA SuperStars Tennis) - "Tennis" is pushing it

Post by VGjoe »

Total Rings collected in Sonic 2 Dash!: 89
Grounder

Re: All the S@nics - 2 Dash! - More like Sonic 2 CRASH!/Now in 6 FPS/EAR-SHATTERING JINGLE DADADADAAAAA

Post by Grounder »

DO YOU HEAR THE SOUND EFFECTS, GUYS?!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Re: All the S@nics - 2 Dash! - More like Sonic 2 CRASH!/Now in 6 FPS/EAR-SHATTERING JINGLE DADADADAAAAA

Post by Reecer7 »

even with the iphone well and prominently out, the jank java me flipphone games live on. i salute thee ;_;7
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Catabo wrote: 1 year agoShout-out to The Conduit, which i was hyped for solely because i wanted to have a counterattack against "Wii doesn't have Call of Duty".
Shout-out to The Conduit for giving us a timeless meme

Grounder

Re: All the S@nics...? - Olympic... Games? - March 31, 2020

Post by Grounder »

* Have you ever thought about a world where everything is exactly the same...

* Except you don't exist?

* Everything functions perfectly without you...

* Ha, ha...
* The thought terrifies me.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
VGjoe

Post by VGjoe »

Disco - 0
1500 metros - 31
Triple salto - 21
400m Vallas - 85
Jabalina - 25

Total Rings collected in Sonic at the Olympic Games: 162
Catabo

Post by Catabo »

Still getting mileage out of those Advance series sprites even in 2008! You can tell that the edits made to them to make them do Olympic'se's'ses things are sub-optimal, but they tried their best and worked with what they had!
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 1 year ago
fart-buttoned
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

hearing raocow read spanish in his quebecois accent is a precious small pleasure
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Grounder wrote: 1 year ago * Have you ever thought about a world where everything is exactly the same...

* Except you don't exist?

* Everything functions perfectly without you...

* Ha, ha...
* The thought terrifies me.
wait, it's functioning perfectly WITH me? :sanaeko:
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

the two closest things for a raocow face revel are sonic x on leapster and now the didj. what a time to be alive, gamers
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Grounder

Re: All the S@nics - Sonic the Hedgehog (Didj) - You're Locked Into A Rabbit In Forces, Now, rao

Post by Grounder »

shame the giraffe oc couldn't make it in, but we make do :calleoca:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
VGjoe

Re: All the S@nics - Sonic the Hedgehog (Didj) - You're Locked Into A Rabbit In Forces, Now, rao

Post by VGjoe »

Green Hill 1 - 214
Emerald Hill 2 - 8
Sandopolis 3 - NOPE

Total Rings collected in Sonic the Hedgehog (Didj): 222
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

holy shit raocow is a phone
Image Image
King of GETs

Post by King of GETs »

Someone uploaded a near complete OST of Didj's Sonic game here. Some of the remixes are actually very good.

It's hard to believe it's almost time for the 1,000th ATS video.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

King of GETs wrote: 1 year ago It's hard to believe it's almost time for the 1,000th ATS video.
oh no, I just remembered what's next up

I almost hope raocow has another one-shot ready just so that one can begin on 1000
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 1 year ago oh no, I just remembered what's next up

I almost hope raocow has another one-shot ready just so that one can begin on 1000
we must all suffer the same pain, your blood their blood serves the same
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 1 year ago
King of GETs wrote: 1 year ago It's hard to believe it's almost time for the 1,000th ATS video.
oh no, I just remembered what's next up

there was the sonic chronicles flash game but from what i've told it would've been before olympics java phone mode if he was including it so no i think today is gonna be /that/ episode 1
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

that flash game is just not complete enough without jumping through an amount of hoop I'm just not willing to do. sorry!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Catabo

Re: All the S@nics - Chronicles: the Dark Brotherhood - Lara-Sued

Post by Catabo »

I hope you're ready to read the codex in this BioWare game!

This is one of those games i was momentarily hyped about (it's a Sonic game by BIOWARE! that's the Star Wars KOTOR guys! this is gonna be great!) but then just kinda forgot about. Probably a good thing in the end? Hopefully cowman will still be able to play it the whole way through, because i'm still a little curious about it but not enough to get it working and play it myself.