(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: All the S@nics - Riders: Zero Gravity - ⇧&

Post by Rixithechao »

for the record I’m currently like a week behind on AtS and I’m not expressing any opinions about the quality of zero gravity’s music, I just saw all the mentions of loudness here and on discord and my brain automatically jumped straight to the spongebob reference
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago for the record I’m currently like a week behind on AtS and I’m not expressing any opinions about the quality of zero gravity’s music, I just saw all the mentions of loudness here and on discord and my brain automatically jumped straight to the spongebob reference
yeah i'm mostly half-jokingly replying to catabo

the core, dive into gravity and through traffic are some of my favorite bangers
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago automatically assuming the game is going to count that the level is complete is a classic raocow move

unrelatedly, what's the music on the 08 preview video?
I looked up 'sonic chronicles ost' and picked one of the first results
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
QuiEstFaba
Une machine pour faire des vaches

Post by QuiEstFaba »

Catabo wrote: 2 years ago 2008 (if i recall correctly) puts us pretty squarely into the "loudness wars" era of "real" capital-M Music... There was some hootenanny around a Metallica album that was new at the time which sounded terrible because the audio had been compressed (when you're talking about streamed audio, this means the quiet parts are leveled out to make everything uniformly louder). But wait, isn't that a good thing? Humans love loud music! Well, no, it isn't... You gotta have quiet parts in a song for there to be loud parts
Oh yeah, Death Magnetic. Adding insult to injury, i think that was their first new album since St. Anger, generally considered a laughing stock even among fans. I seem to recall there was another technician whose head everyone wanted on a pike for that same reason--the most I've ever seen anyone care about a mastering technician to this day. Worked on, i think it was Plastic Beach by the Gorillaz, and a bunch of other things.
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago generic, gentrified edm producers
I wouldn't go that far; in damn near every genre you get people who think that just because it's easy to get into making it, the music itself must be easy to make.
*raises hand, lowers head*
One sunny morning you get up, and you make your will, and you pass the salt to the people who care about you, but you never know who's talking to you....
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

QuiEstFaba wrote: 2 years ago]I wouldn't go that far; in damn near every genre you get people who think that just because it's easy to get into making it, the music itself must be easy to make.
*raises hand, lowers head*
there's music that's easy to get into making? please inform me
QuiEstFaba

Post by QuiEstFaba »

TiKi wrote: 2 years ago there's music that's easy to get into making? please inform me
A "good enough" guitar can go for less than $100, and an amp to play it through even less.
But in terms of production, there's no shortage of drum machines, synthesizers, and sequencers to keep them all in tune, on-beat, and in sync. And if you'd rather stick with software, there are perfectly usable DAWs for as little as $100 flat, with loads of FX and even softsynth compatability. In either case, learning how to program them is trivial more often than not.
Or, you can do what I did and completely disregard many if not all of the basic requirements of music, allowing you to excuse using pretty much anything as musical instrument.
One sunny morning you get up, and you make your will, and you pass the salt to the people who care about you, but you never know who's talking to you....
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

If you don't care about using physical instruments and equipment, you really don't need to buy anything to get into music production -- if you've got a Mac it comes with the DAW Garageband, some of my friends use and recommend LMMS which is basically cross-platform FOSS FL Studio, and there's probably a few other free general-purpose ones out there that aren't just trial versions of paid software (Reaper used to technically be one with just a single nag popup on startup after the trial ended, but I think they might have changed it since then. idk. might be worth testing.)

If you want to work with samples and loops, there's sites where you can get a ton of those for free like SampleRadar. And this is a bit of a tangent, but if we're talking about genres with a low cost to entry then there's tons of free resources for chiptunes specifically: you can use free trackers like Famitracker, Milkytracker, OpenMPT, and LSDj (this last one needs a Gameboy emulator or flashcart) or more DAW-esque specialty software like Famistudio, and for working with regular DAWs there's VSTs and many, many soundfonts.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Grounder

Re: All the S@nics - Movie 2 Advergame in Roblox, I Guess - Uh... Meow?

Post by Grounder »

I saw Sonic 2 in theaters tonight via advance screening and got some cool stuff.
20220406_201321.jpg
20220406_201321.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 1015 times
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
VGjoe

Post by VGjoe »

Total Rings collected in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Obby: 0
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

The thing that I find really hard about getting into music making is that it's not so hard to get your hands on like, music software, but then you look at a tutorial to get started and they are saying and doing all sorts of crazy stuff and I'm here like "no, yes, mhm, I definitely understand everything you are doing, for sure." And it's hard to play with them by myself because there's so much stuff and it's impossible to know where to even start. x_x

Anyways, wow, roblox.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

in this episode of everyone loves raocow, raocow has to take elementary school classes again and winds up saving his classmates' field trip to the salt flats

meet the sponge is my favorite sonic character, this feels like a bit from a docfuture video
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

an actual explanation of obby: obby (plural "obbies"? we think?) is short for "obstacle course", and refers to specific parkour platforming "games" in roblox, since those are fairly common on a 3d platformer engine thing if you can believe it. the slang term of "obby" was born from the primarily kid community of roblox users, both as "obstacle course" was evidently very typo prone from kids, and also WAY lengthy overall. even nowadays, and even among members of roblox who have played since the early days and hence grown into adults, the name has stuck and (evidently) become officially acknowledged on many occasions, to the point where even Sonic The Hedgehog apparently canonically calls such things obbies

it's actually a fairly hilariously obscure case of a lingustics thing born ENTIRELY from just, kids on the internet, and then everyone just Agreed "yeah, makes sense". fairly interesting all things considered!
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

I thought it was a tongue-in-cheek derivation of "lobby", but I guess that makes more sense.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Like M. cow, i'm not going to bother with getting into the meat of the whole "virtual game world for kids" thing and how questionable it is. But you know what? It's nice to see that the advertisements everywhere have to have the word "AD" next to them. I'll take that as a win. (edit 2022-04-22: okay, i feel bad for remotely coming near praising Roblox on anything)

(you know, this reminds me of the advergames that would sometimes appear among the flash games on Neopets back in the olden days. they were always temporary, but some of them were legit good! i suppose adver-worlds accessible from the Roblox virtual world game sphere world virtual world sphere game virtual is the natural successor to them)
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years agono i think sega just had no concept of quality assurance
sooner or later, it all comes back to the hard truth.................................... pensive
Last edited by Catabo 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
QuiEstFaba

Post by QuiEstFaba »

Show of hands, who's catching the film?
I missed the boat on the last one, but that they got Jim Carrey back for this does bode well--he hardly ever returns for sequels. (iirc didn't he co-write the tie-in comic?)
and supposedly, they got a chunk of the official cast involved as well, even more than the last one.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

QuiEstFaba wrote: 2 years ago Show of hands, who's catching the film?
The first movie was the last film I watched in theaters before the pandemic, so it's only right that the second one is the first I watch post-pandemic.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

This is afair the first and only time I've seen Roblox footage
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

was really trying to figure out what was up with this video existing when sonic riders 2 just started, but it did make me realize that despite being 14 years in the past, 2008 is also a year you could play roblox. heck, it's probably a year i played roblox! (aged out of it about the time when they removed tix as a currency, which you accrued just by playing roblox and being active, so all that was left was the premium currency you had to pay money for) think of all the sonic obbies raocow isn't playing throughout time...

also hey, raocow if you're done with this roblox account could you make a thread and give it away please
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

My favorite part about this is how it's better than like 3/4 of the flash games that have been played so far
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

It's ironic that this 3D 'Sonic' game has no shadow
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 2 years ago
QuiEstFaba wrote: 2 years ago Show of hands, who's catching the film?
The first movie was the last film I watched in theaters before the pandemic, so it's only right that the second one is the first I watch post-pandemic.
still have to watch the first one, my mom and brother saw it but i'm not a movie person

also "post"-pandemic??? did i miss smth
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago also "post"-pandemic??? did i miss smth
post-lockdowns at least, we're still in Year 3 of the Plague but the worst of it is over and a lot of people want to believe it's all over (it isn't, but having been to London recently it's surprising how much it's like 2019 again already, give or take a number of elements).

Obby obby obby, oi oi oi!

Mandatory Roblox related links under the cut - Terry Cavanagh's devlogs of working in Roblox, and People Make Games' documentary two-parter on Roblox exploitation of child labour.

Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Uh, wow. Another historic moment here lol

I played Roblox in my younger years, but it certainly looked like a totally different game back then. So it was pretty weird seeing this video in the subscription feed for multiple reasons.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

also i like the sonic model and his cat smile
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago also "post"-pandemic??? did i miss smth
Well, post-"people got bored of the pandemic so let's open everything again even thought it's not much safer than it was before."