(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Re: A BIG BOUQUET OF CREAM-COLORED ROSES WOOOOO - Heroes - For A Walk In The Park (2/5)

Post by Zummorr »

We recently learned that God is in the Sonic universe.
Because of this, I would like to show everyone that God is in the Megaman universe, courtesy of Megaman Battlenetwork.
Ahh, God truly is in all things.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: A BIG BOUQUET OF CREAM-COLORED ROSES WOOOOO - Heroes - For A Walk In The Park (2/5)

Post by AUS »

there is no god in sonic
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

I think the environment designs in this game are very good - it does a great job of capturing the "feel" of the old 2D Sonic games and translating it into a 3D space. I honestly wish more of the 3D Sonics would have gone in this direction. SA2 gets close in some ways, especially with levels like Pumpkin Hill, but Sonic Heroes really goes for that colorful and somewhat surreal vibe that made the worlds in the Genesis games so memorable.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

10204307 wrote: 3 years ago I think the environment designs in this game are very good - it does a great job of capturing the "feel" of the old 2D Sonic games and translating it into a 3D space. I honestly wish more of the 3D Sonics would have gone in this direction. SA2 gets close in some ways, especially with levels like Pumpkin Hill, but Sonic Heroes really goes for that colorful and somewhat surreal vibe that made the worlds in the Genesis games so memorable.
i pressed the fart button
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

AUS wrote: 3 years ago there is no god in sonic
There is no God but Sonic and Tails is his prophet
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

The only problem I have with the level design in Heroes is that there are notable moments where they copy-pasted level "chunks" to elongate the level. It's not as noticeable in Team Rose's journey because they don't go through the whole map, but for example: that Ocean Palace bit where you bust the door down and there's a ledge and hallway after it? That's a chunk they use multiple times in the map. It'll be really obvious in levels like

Frog Forest and Rail Canyon

where you can see "yeah this level section has the same layout as the other ones i jumped across earlier"

Of course, my favorite level in the game is

Egg Fleet which has literally the same two-minute battleship sequence play out twice

so maybe I shouldn't complain too much
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Zummorr wrote: 3 years ago We recently learned that God is in the Sonic universe.
Because of this, I would like to show everyone that God is in the Megaman universe, courtesy of Megaman Battlenetwork.
Ahh, God truly is in all things.
well mount moriah is in the bible :sanaeko:
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

With the members of all four teams squared away, one would think that was the end of extra character inclusions for Sonic Heroes.

But just like when Sega thought the Saturn had a shot against the Playstation, one would be wrong.

Sonic Team had heard incessant fan demands for the Mechanical Menace Metal Sonic, the Blue Blur's robotic rival, to return as a major threat, and this time, they listened. While he had popped up on the original six teams concept list, when the team actually started to give some thought to the idea of his return, all agreed that he made no sense as a playable character. If he was going to be returning, he'd be batting for the villain team, and to do that, he'd need a makeover.,

Unlike with the Chaotix, the team actually went to the trouble of enlisting the original designer of the character, Kazuyuki Hoshino, to pull off the redesign. (Though this was easier then it sounded, as he'd been a part of Sonic Team for quite a while, to the point of being Art Director for both Adventure titles, even.) it only made sense for him to be involved in the reintroduction of one of his greatest hits. Wanting to really make the character more modern, the redesign was, to put it mildly, drastic, but was deemed impressive enough that it was teased in nearly every promotional trailer.

But, in a depressingly constant twist with Sega and Sonic in particular, the look was only briefly glanced at in-game, rendering all the promotional work and the redesign itself mostly meaningless.

The man hours spent on this redesign could've probably been better spent elsewhere, seeing as one of the team's main goals for Sonic Heroes was a release on 4.

SEPARATE.

PLATFORMS.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Just going to say it now. Those level ups matter when it comes to dealing damage on both regular enemies and bosses. That's why you saw that E rank today! Also, the Egg Hawk boss song rocks and is pretty underrated in a game that has a prretty kickin' soundtrack.

AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

So one thing I'll always remember about Sonic Heroes is that, during the PR hype cycle for the game, one of the bullet points that would come up in interviews and such was the idea of taking Sonic "back to his roots" (or back to basics, or whatever the exact phrasing might've been). Which is kind of inherently a hilarious thing to say in the marketing for a game where the core gameplay involves controlling multiple characters at once, the concept of level-ups, and normal enemies having HP and generally requiring multiple attacks to defeat, none of which are standard for the series.

Like it actually does make sense when you compare Heroes to the Adventure games (more abstract fantasy level environments compared to the slightly more grounded areas in the Adventure games, much simpler plot and cutscenes compared the more dramatic stories the Adventure games tried to tell, 3/4 of the gameplay is standard "get to the goal ring" stage design, Special Stages exist, etc.), but the messaging...could have been better.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

One type of boss fight I tend to really enjoy is when the boss has multiple destructible parts, and with this being one of those fights it's no surprise that I like it. There are turrets you can destroy to make it shoot less bullets, and you can destroy the propellers on the wings to turn its rotary attack into a stationary attack. I just always love being able to destroy parts of a boss to make it weaker.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

The ... main ... bosses in this game are like this, but I had a lot of fun fighting them as a kid so they do their job.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 3 years ago So one thing I'll always remember about Sonic Heroes is that, during the PR hype cycle for the game, one of the bullet points that would come up in interviews and such was the idea of taking Sonic "back to his roots" (or back to basics, or whatever the exact phrasing might've been).
That's going to be a recurring theme or running joke with this series over the next decade. Pretty sure '06 and Unleashed had that exact same line in their own PR. They'll get it right eventually. It'll just take until 2017 is all. Ha.

Anyway, Heroes does do one thing that a lot of the other 3D games don't do, and that's the whole two acts that share a similar theme and then a boss to cap it off. It also plays the most like a standard Sonic platformer even with that team gimmick. In that regard, Heroes is the closest the 3D games get to the 2D ones. It's just like with most things Sega, the execution will be hit and miss at best. Still, the game does leave a decent enough first impression to me that I still think of it positively.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

smh bean not counting generations as a 3D sonic :lol:
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

AUS wrote: 3 years agosmh bean not counting generations as a 3D sonic :lol:
"Heroes does do one thing that a lot of the other 3D games don't do"

Hey, I made sure to say to not say "all of" instead there. Ha-ha. And besides, that's one of the best ones we've got left!
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

which 3d sonic game was it that had an entirely invisible "unused" path in one of the levels that you could jump onto if you knew where to? i wanna say sa2 in one of shadow's levels, but i can't find anything
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I still enjoy this game despite its many flaws. It's a lot of fun to speed through as team hero or team dark.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

TiKi wrote: 3 years ago which 3d sonic game was it that had an entirely invisible "unused" path in one of the levels that you could jump onto if you knew where to? i wanna say sa2 in one of shadow's levels, but i can't find anything
iirc white jungle loads in green forest's rings and enemies for some reason (which makes it impossible to get a perfect ring count) but i don't know if the level geometry is there?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhRmDcZV2Go
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

All this talk about how Egg Hawk is a complex fight with multiple parts when once you get it to land you can walk up to the head as Big and mash the attack button for an easy A rank

As much as I love this game I don't like its bosses much
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Is it just me, or is Cream being super sarcastic in the stage intro?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago Is it just me, or is Cream being super sarcastic in the stage intro?
it is absolutely not just you, she totally is

murder rabbit has a ton of sass
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

As someone who has music playing in my head basically all the time, it's interesting seeing the description saying what raocow has as his background music. Speaking of this game's music, I forgot how good a lot of the music in this game is. Although there may be a reason for that: as a kid I never really took note of most video game music (which is kind of crazy to think about considering that nowadays I love video game music), and I might have first played this game during that time. Either way, it's been a really long time since I played this game, so it makes sense that I would forget regardless.

Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago murder rabbit has a ton of sass
I'm starting to think that Cream is one of my favourite Sonic characters.
Crow

Post by Crow »

considering that she becomes blaze's de facto tails in rush, yeah, she's pretty high up there by association if nothing else

FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I love this stage's music, and the environment design is a lot of fun too. Whoever said the zone designs in this game evoke the classic Sonic environment design was pretty accurate. It's a way I've never thought about it before, but I can totally see now.