(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The S@nics - Battle - March 25, 2006

Post by Leet »

"I hope I don't have to fight as emerl again!" or you could just equip him with moves? of course the fight isn't supposed to be like that, though sonic's dash inexplicably costing 30 certainly didn't help
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Peptobislawl
Is here for some reason

Post by Peptobislawl »

It was said in the comments but I'll repeat it here for max visibility. The cost for moves is 5 for every star on the card, and most moves only have like 1 or 2 stars. Why sonic's dash costs so dang much is a mystery for the ages, but right now what you want to do is change as many of Emerl's moves that you can to anything but his garbage default, or else you will suffer greatly. Particularly, you should focus on the moves you use a lot like the basic attacks and the run style, because basic movement is also something you have to set for Emerl.
Another important tip about the three things you pick before each life. First is your ground special, second is your air special, and the last one rather than getting to use it, you become immune to opponent's specials of that type. That metal clank noise indicates someone being hit with a special they're immune to. It's pretty important to learn what each special looks like for each character so you can figure out which one they don't have and avoid wasting your instakill meter.
I got an avatar.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

legit this is the only sonic game that has a story

that i care about. clarifying sentence that i acknowledge other games do in fact contain plot and prose
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

This is a game that I never even knew existed until fairly recently. When I saw raocow had started playing it yesterday I decided to try it out myself before watching raocow play it. Knowing nothing about the game I was quite surprised when I was thrown into a 3D environment, and initially I had little idea what I was doing, but after playing for a while I've managed to get the hang of things.

It would seem that people are saying that grinding is a thing in this game, but in my experience so far that isn't the case. Sure if you want to stack up Emerl with a bunch of expensive skills then some grinding may be required, but so far I've managed to get by with just equipping whatever cheap skills I can find. Although I haven't played very far in the game, so I don't know if things get to the point where you need those expensive skills.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Bean wrote: 3 years ago Doesn't the 3DS have a capture card type of deal? Guessing it's too expensive though. Either way, good luck!
The 3DS can be modded to have video output, however, spotzone discussion determined he should try a softmod first.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

the biggest grind in the game is totally optional completionist nonsense literally backloaded into the very end of the game for idiots to do

and

i hope raocow at least spends an episode on it, just for fun. he'll know it when he'll see it
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 3 years ago Fun fact: "Small children fighting in an alleyway over a Klondike Bar half" was the original concept for this game, but, similar to Sonic's Schoolhouse, they decided to paste Sonic characters over things for marketing reasons.
Sonic's Schoolhouse, eh? I was wondering whatever happened to Jaleel White
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Heavy Sigh wrote: While somewhat derided at the time of the E3 showcase, Sonic Battle's sprites are well-regarded today as masterfully detailed examples of the Sonic Advance style.
It's funny remembering that there was a time when 3D models were preferred in games just because they were 3D models. More big budget games need to use 2D sprite work; crisp line work, lots of frames of animation, and lots of colour look beautiful on a powerful piece of hardware.
I immediate think of Wario Land Shake It!, and that wasn't even on an HD console.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

Kleetus wrote: I immediate think of Wario Land Shake It!, and that wasn't even on an HD console.
Of course large-scale spriting efforts like that come with a lot more time investment from the side of the spriters. Creating 3D Models with animations (that can sometimes be re-used or altered between characters goes by a lot quicker than making hundreds of frames of Wario. (+ transformations)
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Yeah, there's only really a small amount of grinding necessary to survive the game. You'll make it through fine just by pushing through... though getting a good collection of cards will certainly help.

Also no one knows why Sonic's dash skill is so expensive, it's not even that good

Also also congrats on doing like two fights with Tails and already getting a dupe, like a true gacha player
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Sonic Battle's 3D environments look surprisingly neat. They go pretty well with the sprite art, and they hold up a lot better than i'd have expected from a 2003 handheld console game.

The one visual choice i really don't get is putting the line breaks for the dialog halfway through the text boxes.
Blivsey

Re: DATA LOG: E-102 γ: ENTRIES "ADVENTURE" - "THE ROBOT" (PARTLY CORRUPTED)

Post by Blivsey »

Blivsey during AtS Sonic Adventure wrote: 4 years ago don't mind me, just gonna throw a brick in the air here

INITIATING RECOVERY MODE
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yay sonic heroes tomorrow :rao:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: DATA LOG: E-102 γ: ENTRIES "ADVENTURE" - "THE ROBOT" (PARTLY CORRUPTED)

Post by Awoo »

Blivsey wrote: 3 years ago
Blivsey during AtS Sonic Adventure wrote: 4 years ago don't mind me, just gonna throw a brick in the air here

INITIATING RECOVERY MODE

I hope raocow discovers how to make Emerl do that particular move

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

Shadow is alive because he hid himself while he repaired himself
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

okay i promised

NOTE: all moves were tested in training mode on Sonic
SPECIALS: Sonic Wave, Sonic Drive, Sonic Meteor, Sonic Cracker

If official community Sonic Battle tier lists were a thing, Sonic would likely fit snugly into the middle-upper echelons. Being both the main character and, well, Sonic the Hedgehog, you can easily predict what Sonic would be in this game: a speedy fighter with fast, medium-power attacks and a moveset that defines the "basics" of Battle.

His run is, surprisingly, not the fastest in the game, but it is second-best, and both his dash and air action are quick bursts of speed that help him maneuver well. His jab, heavy, upper, air, and aim attacks are all quick to start, which is solid, and his specials are fairly good. Sonic Wave in particular has great range and speed, and can 5HKO, but one of its biggest perks is that Sonic does damage while curled up, and this part of the attack doesn't count as a special, making the move surprisingly versatile. Sonic Meteor is lightning-fast and can 3HKO, but Sonic Drive requires weird setup that results in it not being nearly as effective despite also being a 3HKO. Sonic Crackers are, well, basic traps with nothing special to them. (And yes, they're called Sonic Crackers. Heh.)

Unfortunately, Sonic's weaknesses generally show in his mediocrity on defense. His heavy may LOOK cool, but his handstand and hop at the end of it leaves him completely open if you miss, and his health is only as average as the rest of his stats. His biggest weakness is his heal skill, which is only slightly above being absolutely useless.

In summary, what you see is what you get! Just a guy
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Seeing how raocow had a rough time fighting Knuckles, I feel like I may have gotten quite lucky in my own playthrough. I started this fight heeding Sonic's advice, trying to dodge Knuckles's attacks and attack when he leaves himself open, and then I discovered something interesting.
It seems that you can cheese 1 on 1 fights in this game by repeatedly using upper attacks (except Emerl's default) to knock the enemy into the air. I don't know if the AI is able to break out of it later on, but in what I've played so far they all just fall straight down, letting you keep hitting them until they die.

Leet

Post by Leet »

"Hey, Emerl! We can go at it as rough as you want here!"
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

initiating energy vinegar mode

Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

^^^I LOVE that gif! :pal:

I've been inspired to play Battle again and I remember why I loved it so much. Dunno, it's just fun to let myself go in the fights and enjoy it x3
I've got a lot of good memories in this game, and I think it's pretty fun balancing Emerl's stats to make him semi useable
Even though I wound up spamming his up attack to stun lock knuckles for that first fight with him.
:pal: Image :pal:

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: A Thousand Miles - Battle - September 23, 2009

Post by Crow »

"central city"

*shadow the hedgehog looms ominously on the horizon*
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago "central city"

*shadow the hedgehog looms ominously on the horizon*
shadow the hedgehog, the game that makes people think "oh sonic heroes was ok"

sonic 06, the game that makes people think "oh shadow the hedgehog was ok"

AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

sonic boom, the game that blah blah

actually project 06 tho
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It feels really weird to me that Rouge is the one character who has any degree of institutional power
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

kitikami wrote: 3 years ago It feels really weird to me that Rouge is the one character who has any degree of institutional power
sonic is a teenager who is a free spirit. do you think sonic the hedgehog regularly hangs around the type of people who desire institutional power? heck, even calling rouge his friend is a bit of an oversimplification