(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: So A Fox, A Rabbit, & Knuckles Walk Into A Bar - Advance 2 - Neon Genesis Evangelion 2

Post by Mandew »

I'm pretty sure Loop 2 appellation came up in Rayman Origins

edit: I'm really bad at chronology
video games
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: So A Fox, A Rabbit, & Knuckles Walk Into A Bar - Advance 2 - Neon Genesis Evangelion 2

Post by Blivsey »

I wonder how these AtS Advance 2 videos would have felt if Cream had been moved to the end of the queue, so to speak

How different would it be if you pushed through the zones and bosses as Tail and Knuckle, and then every video ends with Cream just standing there and pointing
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by DinnerSonic »

If Loop 3 lasts long enough(this weekend is busy for me) I'd be happy to just... play through Big the Cat's (and Super Sonic's) stories in Dolphin for you all next Saturday, if given an otherwise completed(all upgrades for the rest) file. Though I imagine there's others who have more free time since this just involves playing a game some, rather than things like hunting through a zip file to sort out mobile phone games and still being unsure which revision of which game came out when and having to literally dig through the zip files to check creation dates.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The S@nics - Advance 2 - ROPA 2.22: You CAN Choose To (Not) Cheat, But Why Would You?

Post by Piesonscreations »

Will raocow be showcasing this? Image

I mean, it's on a game cartridge. Gotta all the all the sonics.
ImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The S@nics - Advance 2 - ROPA 2.22: You CAN Choose To (Not) Cheat, But Why Would You?

Post by raocow »

what was the exact date that was released? I am having trouble finding this information.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

14 May 2004
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

noted
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

OH NO IT'S ZERO'S GHOST JACK SKELLINGTON WILL BE RIGHT BEHIND HIM AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The idea is to find the right line while running at near full speed to be able to get a pretty high multiplier going. x2 doubles rings, x3 triples, and so on up to x9 where it automatically goes away after a second or two. Those red and black rings are worth five apiece, so if you have a multiplier going when you get them, it adds up fast. I don't remember which ones have the hardest lines to find other than the last one where you pretty much have to get two mid-range multipliers or one high combo to win.

In your winning run, you hit one big ring with a x4 multiplier on, and two more right after at x5. That's 70 rings right there, and that's not counting the individual ones you picked up.
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

I haven't really been keeping up with the thread, has the unlockables for getting the emeralds with X amount of characters in Advance 2 been brought up yet? Most notably doing it with all 4 unlocks

a new playable character

You probably want to get a save for that.

Second most notable is for doing it with 1 character which is already happening (separate thing from doing it with specifically Sonic), the rest is kinda whatever (sound test and boss levels in time attack mode respectively).
fart.
helucard

Post by helucard »

Ok, so what I'm getting from this is:
  • You have to get the 7 rings every time you wanna enter the bonus. It doesn't stay unlocked, and there's no shortcut to doing it; i.e. getting one ring and finishing once you've got the 7 in a prior run. That's unfortunate.
  • You have to get a high amount of rings in the bonus - par for the course, given prior bonus stage material. Dunno what attracts chaos emeralds to rings, but sure.
  • Zero serves as an obstacle, but is always pointed to by the arrow, and its colour denotes its proximity. This is far better than suddenly running over a hill or round a corner and straight into spikes you could not see coming. I like this, the extra awareness is a pristine QoL feature.
  • Collecting rings quickly gives a multiplier. A higher chain gives a higher multiplier. Again, a nice feature, it rewards quick collection by bringing you closer to your goal.
  • There aren't just rings, there are black and red orbs marked with a 5 which give 5 rings each, and they contribute to the multiplier requirement as 5 separate rings - these are new aren't they? ... I mean, wouldn't a "5 ring" bubble container be more obvious? I suppose they'd have to be bigger to be recogniseable, and then you run into the issue of it having a bigger hitbox to match its sprite size, making it easier, or giving it a mismatched hitbox equal in size to a regular ring, which would cause you to clip through it which is unfair... Hmmmm... I see the reasoning I guess.
  • The game does not end when you reach your target. You have to time out with that amount. All the while, Zero is looking to butcher your ring count.
On paper, this is well thought out design for the bonus stage itself. This sounds like a group of people went into this with a very good idea of what to do. It's a shame it ended up feeling this clunky. I guess there's only so much you can do with a GBA and what is effectively Mode 7.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Sticking to the formula of 3D bonus stages in the 2D games feels strangely outdated once actual 3D games exist. Back in the Genesis days it was cool to see how you could simulate 3D if you were willing to simplify the graphics and gameplay enough, and while i was never much of a fan of the bonus stages, they were at least interesting technology. At this point in the series timeline though they just feel like primitive recreations of something that already works much better on different hardware, and forcing this hardware to try to do that rather than what it is good at doesn't really seem like it adds much other than nostalgia.

On the other hand i totally get why they felt keeping it was important to crafting the feel of classic 2D Sonic.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I very quickly gave up on getting all the Chaos Emeralds in Advance 2 as a child, and clearly I was right to do so. ...Also I don't think I actually finished the game, but that's another matter.

Also I feel like it's worth mentioning that we're 4 days away from the 3rd anniversary of All the Megaman. I can't even remember how long the hiatus between The Megamen and The Sonics was, but the C-side has been a thing for almost 3 years now. Amazing how time flies.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Man, I've been playing these games for too long, I forgot how harsh first impressions of this bonus can be... I wish I had something useful to say but it doesn't really get better than this. Even when you get the hang of it it never really becomes fun.

If you ever finish early and get stuck waiting out the timer, you can actually trick Zero into running circles around you and just sit there. Kinda risky though
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, that's definitely not worth it as it's best to just outrun Zero or use the boost (red) and jump (blue) pads to weave around him. I do like the fact that it's pretty easy compared to the half pipes from hell a lot of these games go with and keeps with the game's theme of trying to keep on the move... except for when you're looking for the SP Rings which is the only way to reach a special stage. Oops.
Anad
Pronouns: Any

Post by Anad »

So here is a savestate with Sonic's, Tails's, Knuckle's, Amy's and E102 Gamma's campaigns completed, all their character upgrades obtained, and every hub world emblem collect with the mission mode untouched. Anybody want to be a pal and play through Big's campaign, anyone?
I've been playing on Dolphin version 5.0 with a SADX ISO that has a SHA256:

Code: Select all

0D44D9FB241F8C5921C923D08C985D807B91EB868C6220692EAD5E56DFAA8E20
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

I don't know if it's been asked here or not but will raocow be playing Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg?

It's made by Sonic Team

And Has sonic in it.

:pal: Image :pal:

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

cameos don't count iirc, rad mobile was the exception due to it being the first appearance of sonic/important to the samwell ronco tarly lore
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Yep, otherwise he would've had to play all these games

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Nast

Post by Nast »

Anad wrote: 3 years ago So here is a savestate with Sonic's, Tails's, Knuckle's, Amy's and E102 Gamma's campaigns completed, all their character upgrades obtained, and every hub world emblem collect with the mission mode untouched. Anybody want to be a pal and play through Big's campaign, anyone?
I've been playing on Dolphin version 5.0 with a SADX ISO that has a SHA256:

Code: Select all

0D44D9FB241F8C5921C923D08C985D807B91EB868C6220692EAD5E56DFAA8E20
Here, Big's story + Super Sonic completed. Pretty sure I got all of Big's upgrades, apologies if I missed any.
Anad
Pronouns: Any

Post by Anad »

NastCF wrote: 3 years ago Here, Big's story + Super Sonic completed. Pretty sure I got all of Big's upgrades, apologies if I missed any.
Thank you so much, NastCF; honestly, I didn't expect anyone to take me up on my offer. I checked the savestate and, yeah, you found all of Big's upgrades. So, with all of the stories completed, character upgrades found, and hub world emblems collected: the savestate is now perfect for playing mission mode.
raocow

Post by raocow »

thank you so much the both of you :O
downloaded and stored for later use
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Nast

Post by Nast »

Anad wrote: 3 years ago Thank you so much, NastCF; honestly, I didn't expect anyone to take me up on my offer. I checked the savestate and, yeah, you found all of Big's upgrades. So, with all of the stories completed, character upgrades found, and hub world emblems collected: the savestate is now perfect for playing mission mode.
Hey, thanks to you for doing all of the work and providing the save in the first place :)
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

thumbnail was a little messed up again. i like the unintelligible pillar on the far left
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!