(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
xnamkcor

Re: All The S@nics - Adventure - The New Frontier

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow, if you charge a light speed dash with one button, and grab with another, you can build objects with light speed dash charged. Great for punting chao.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

shh you can't talk about heroes yet!! it's 1999 and sonic heroes doesn't exist!! what's a gamecube? i'm really excited for banjo-tooie
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

With the larger emphasis on story and using realistic textures to create a visually striking world for Sonic to explore, Sonic Team decided that, if they were really going to make this game hit a home-run right out of the gate, they needed to make sure Adventure wasn't just a new Sonic game, but the start of a new era for SEGA itself. So in order to accomplish that, Sonic and pals needed a facelift.

Yuji Uekawa, whose previous work included the title character of Ristar, plus work on 3D Blast and Sonic R, was given the task of updating characters millions of people had fond memories of to fit this new vision Sonic Team had. While happy enough to take up the challenge, it was not something Uekawa could afford to take lightly.

With Ohshima looking over his shoulder every so often, Uekawa began to draw heavily stylized versions of the main cast, taking a great amount of inspiration from graffiti art he had seen. With a longer and looser style, a few brush strokes changed the very face of the Sonic franchise. While Tails and Knuckles were easy enough to update to this new style, Eggman and Amy were a different story, with Amy receiving an age bump and outfit change in order to fit with the rest of the cast's more modern looks.

Eggman, on the other hand, was originally meant to keep his classic design, but after a few early models looked rather silly when compared to Sonic and friends new looks, it was decided to update him as well, creating a far more detailed Eggman that made for an incredibly stark contrast to the simplistic orb-man Ohshima had come up with all those years ago.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

To answer your question about where Eggman gets all his materials:

In Satam/Archie, Robotnik has already taken over the world! Sonic and his friends are a small group of young resisters, hiding away somewhere. He basically has almost all the resources, period, at his disposal.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

y'know

i never understood why it is that most of the characters talk pretty normally, but when sonic tries to do it it's like multiple pieces of his skull try to escape in different directions

like. it's not even a weird stylistic choice to add more animation to the talk scenes. it's literally just sonic that has this constantly exploding face. did they think it looked cool? was this an attempt to emphasize that sonic is the most radical thing alive? that he experiences major facial trauma every time he opens his mouth, and yet he doesn't let that keep him from talking?
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

behOOOLLDD my floOaAting masterpIECE
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I typed up a pretty good amount in a YouTube comment, so I'm just going to copy/paste my theory on Eggman's resources from there...

I always figured it was snowballing production. He builds one robot designed for construction. That robot builds a robot designed for construction, so he has two. Both of those build an additional construction robot, so now we're at four. Next round means 8, then 16, 32, 64, 128, etc. He'd have billions of robots in a matter of weeks, even if it took a full day to build a single robot using an autonomous robot. Eventually, he just switches them from building construction robots to building attack robots. He has a full army of minions in about two months, and during all this, can easily switch any number of them from self-replication mode to assisting in building large-scale ships and weapons.

With labor out of the way, we get to the other issue, being raw materials. Seeing as there aren't oceans of metal corpses littering the world, I'd assume that he has a legitimate cover business cleaning up the debris, and it would be easy to melt it down and use it to make new parts. (As somebody else in the YouTube comments points out, it's proven in later games that he does run legitimate businesses for funding, so one of those being clean-up is pretty likely.)

On top of that, if you think about it, we've probably already seen him harvesting a majority of materials the first time. If you think about the boss fights in the very first Sonic game, quite a few of them were rather simplistic. Consider that he's never encountered Sonic before, so he had no knowledge of needing anti-hedgehog weaponry. What if those were all originally for construction and harvesting raw materials. A wrecking ball in Green Hill to knock down cliffs and get to the materials inside. A flying ship that drops flames in Marble Zone to burn away the overgrowth and get to the stuff inside the ruins. A harvesting ship that used a spike to grab and carry away blocks of material in Spring Yard Zone. His ship wasn't even weaponized in Labyrinth, it was probably for underwater exploration to see if anything there was worth harvesting. Star Light Zone was a bit of an outlier in that he wasn't harvesting material, but depositing weaponry in an area that was already under his control, so he was running supply lines. Scrap Brain Zone wasn't even a weapon, it looked like pistons inside of a machine. He wasn't riding pistons into the arena out of stupidity, he wasn't prepared for Sonic and had no cameras or surveillance in the area. He needed to see visually if Sonic was dead yet, so he knew when to turn everything off. An engine that large probably required a ludicrous amount of power, and all of the smoke and pollution implies he didn't have access to Chaos energy or any other supernatural power source yet. He was still limited to squirrel batteries at most, and those are only good for a single robot each.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

AuraLancer wrote: 4 years ago But would you feel the same way if you played it for the first time now? That part of my post is important
It's very hard to answer this because we also have the whole weight of the sonic franchise being all over the place to consider in this, not to mention lots of people who love to loudly proclaim the whole series is bad or was never good or whatever. If you're exposed to the internet commentary about Sonic but have never played any of them, and then choose to play them how can you tell if you're doing so ironically or not? I think there are too many factors to give a definitive answer. I'd like to think I'd enjoy it, maybe a bit less than I enjoy them having played them when I was 12.

But in the end, does it really matter if someone enjoys a game legitimately or ironically? Or is it just a differential for people to point at and go back to that same "sonic was never good, people only like it ironically" argument.

In short, enjoy video games.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

It doesn't matter here, because raocow enjoys the game. If he didn't have the nostalgia for it, then I would be concerned about how enjoyable the current series would be (which is what I said in the initial post). There have already been a few games that were pretty ugh, though I'm not saying Adventure is as bad as those.

I know it's not his intention, but raocow has actually lowered my opinion of the Sonic franchise through this series. It's kind of frustrating - and we've only just left the classic era
Leet wrote: Why wouldn't I? I do have conviction in my opinions, they are not arbitrary.
8-)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Regarding Chaos 4, I can't help but wonder if at some point in production the water was instant death, you had to stay on the lily pads at all times, and they didn't rebalance the fight properly after changing things. That would certainly explain why 80% of Chaos' attacks are devoted to knocking them out from under you despite this being a minor inconvenience at worst.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

all must behold the thumbnail
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Donut wrote: 4 years ago Regarding Chaos 4, I can't help but wonder if at some point in production the water was instant death, you had to stay on the lily pads at all times, and they didn't rebalance the fight properly after changing things. That would certainly explain why 80% of Chaos' attacks are devoted to knocking them out from under you despite this being a minor inconvenience at worst.
This is very probable imo, and they probably went through another round of revision where it did knock you into the water, but you didn't die and had to get out - but that was too tedious/annoying/hard to make work with the camera focused on the boss, so now Sonic just stays on the water like he's Jesus and the boss is trivial.

IMO better than the alternative, it being super difficult and frustrating.

Wrt the "does Adventure hold up" discussion: I never played it when it was fresh, was interested in SA2 when I had a GC but was turned off by the subtitle ("Battle" - I thought it was a fighting game, or multiplayer? Good job marketing), and so my first 3D Sonic game was...Generations. Which is easily the best. I then got Colors and didn't enjoy it nearly as much, played Shadow on emulator (it's really really bad and not fun to me), and finally got a big Sonic compilation pack on Steam so I played Adventure almost last.

And you know what? It's perfectly fine. It has some pretty good stages with nice 3D design, the homing attack works most of the time (better than 06's at least...) and I have always enjoyed bouncing from enemy to enemy, there's neat secrets hidden if you explore a little, it's a good game. The other characters are hit and miss but I can't say I really hated any part of the game per se. Except for the Tornado levels maybe, those are a snoozefest.

I'm actually more down on SA2 because it has less very fun parts and a lot more bloated tedium.

Oh, and I've seen the cutscenes a million times in Let's Plays and such so I just skip them. Of course they're bad and can now probably only be enjoyed ironically, but I play games for the gameplay anyway so they don't factor into my enjoyment at all either way.

oh no
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I want Robotnik to win because the woodland animal krew are a bunch of fucking idiots
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago Image

all must behold the thumbnail
I can't not see that and think Sonic has vampire teeth
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Knuckles is a pretty easy boss fight. So easy that I'm pretty sure I beat him one time by just running around erratically and spamming the spin dash. Then there's Chaos 4, which is also pretty easy, but it manages to last a lot longer than Knuckles due to spending a long time underwater. Other than maybe the first time I played, I've always found it to be a bit boring; there's very little threat involved so you just spend a lot of time just jumping around waiting for it to become vulnerable. Although after reading the potential alternatives discussed in this thread I think I'd rather have it this way.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

oh no
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

oh no
ImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Incredibly excited for Boring Autoscroller Act 1 today
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

heck yeah get hype
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

just minding my own business catching up on this thread and
xnamkcor wrote: 4 years ago Great for punting chao.

is joke but pls don't punt chao cowrao kthx
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Something that Iizuka desperately wanted to have in the game was a new enemy whose origin was completely separate from Eggman, and would be something that previous consoles would have never had the horsepower to create. Thinking that something liquid and transparent would show off the power of the Dreamcast, Chaos was thought up. Presenting the original concept art and idea to Naka, Chaos was approved on the spot, his role in the game cemented as a front and centre bad guy. His ever-shifting nature was something the team wanted to advertise, placing the character in the very first part of the game and granting him a massive number of forms, though some had more screentime than others.

Fun Level Facts!

Originally, there was going to be a mecha dragon miniboss in Sky Chase, but it was scrapped early on because of production difficulties, with little more than its flying animations finished.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

we'll be seeing this exact same level again and the same for the next sky chase

that's going to be fun
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago though some had more screentime than others.
And some with none at all. I still wanna see Chaos 3 someday...
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

fun? sonic fact

you can complete sky chase zone by moving the tornado into a corner and making a sandwich