(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Heavy Sigh

Re: All The S@nics - ℝ - Can YOU Feel The Sunshine?

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Sonic R was once planned to have a unique 'relay' mode, utilizing multiple characters for each lap of a given course. There was also a mirror mode planned, but due to the fun quirks of programming for the Saturn and a tight deadline, both were scrapped due to requiring a rewrite of the drawing code, something there was simply no time for.

The game was also meant to have the Fire Shield, but it was eventually scrapped as the designers couldn't really think of a unique ability to give it.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Fun thing I just BSed: That very same Eggrobo is Heavy King in Mania.

It'd be cool if I was right, though.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

If I remember right, there's a playable Tag and Balloon Attack in the Time Attack option, so you don't need a second player to do those. They're exactly what they sound like: You play tag against the other racers while they try to get away from you, and you look for balloons hidden on the track in randomized locations.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

It would be cool if raocow checked out all the characters he didn't play as in a bonus episode
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Leet wrote: The Sonic 3 manual also mentions a legendary dragon in another prophetic text, foreshadowing Adventure. Yeah, the Sonic games really had interesting continuity like that!
i misread your post, so i went to see if that was in the US manual, but it was not.
what is in the US manual, however, is that Knuckles' favorite food is grapes. important lore right here.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I was a bit confused when raocow called Eggrobo Omega, but then I realized that raocow just mixed up the names of some of Eggman's robots, which, now that I say it, seems like an understandable mistake.

Anyway, I was playing through this game yet again, and I found out something about the controls that I never knew before, which is that you can press both the shoulder buttons to brake. Not exactly the most useful thing in a racing game, which is probably why I never knew about it. I also found out that if you have a second controller plugged in while playing single player someone else can pick it up and start controlling the same character that you're trying to control. That can be a bit weird, and it certainly doesn't help when the other person is actively trying to sabotage you.

While I'm here, I'll also express interest in seeing raocow show all the characters in a bonus episode.

raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

which is that you can press both the shoulder buttons to brake. Not exactly the most useful thing in a racing game
Proper braking makes turning so much easier.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Originally, every single in-game character model originally had much greater polygon count, but each were cut down to preserve performance. Tails lost his whiskers and hair, Knuckles got a much more boring pair of shoes, Robotnik's weird claw/missile laucnher system were traded in for a plain old cannon.

Amy actually had a fairly extensive redesign compared to the others, as her car originally had a GIANT BUZZSAW on the front to attack others, but it was lost along with her rear spoiler to ensure good performance. (though you can still see the rear spoiler in promotional renders).
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

dudududududududududududu
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

my memory of this level is completely different and way more compact
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

tough track, but also, very very smooth track. work it out is the most deliciously house song in the game, i love it, cannot get enough of that iconic synth
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Could somebody remind me on something?

Are you still able to unlock hidden characters when using Super Sonic? Since raocow's only been playing as Sonic, he's got the slippery handling pretty figured out for the most part. Speed-wise, Super Sonic is absolutely broken and an experienced player can pretty much finish all three laps before everybody else has finished their first. Might make it easier when hunting down the tokens since raocow would be faster in getting back in the race after the initial scavenger hunt.

Also, really hope that raocow does the final track as both normal and Super Sonic. It's pretty much designed to show off just how hilariously broken Super is compared to everybody else. I think that the game replaces every single other racer with their unlockable counterpart in a pitiful attempt to maintain balance when you play as Super Sonic, and it does absolutely no good whatsoever.

On a more off-topic bit, wasn't there a Saturn port of Sonic Fighters, or was it always arcade-exclusive? I've been thinking of messing with the models from that game, I saw a wireframe render of some of them and they're surprisingly detailed. I think they might look really good with modern textures on them instead of flat colors, to hide the sharp edges a little bit. Like, not as good as a model from a modern game, but good enough that they'd be amazing for a retro-style fangame.
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

I don't think I ever noticed this, but why does track 3 unlock emeralds 6 and 7 and secert character 4? Shouldn't those be unlocked in track 4?

Also, if I recall my childhood correctly, I'm pretty sure I always tried to unlock the doors to the emeralds in one lap, then get them a full lap later on this stage. No need to wait around for the emerald to actually appear--they don't despawn.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Matt is me wrote: 4 years ago I don't think I ever noticed this, but why does track 3 unlock emeralds 6 and 7 and secert character 4? Shouldn't those be unlocked in track 4?

Also, if I recall my childhood correctly, I'm pretty sure I always tried to unlock the doors to the emeralds in one lap, then get them a full lap later on this stage. No need to wait around for the emerald to actually appear--they don't despawn.
I was thinking after the facts that this is probably the intent, yeah. that makes sense.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Forever and ever.

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

kurt91 wrote: 4 years ago Are you still able to unlock hidden characters when using Super Sonic?

Yes.

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Alright! For the past two days, for some reason I just couldn't load the talkhaus, but i'm in :ugeek:

You see raocow, this track also has a stupid shortcut that would've made it super simple!

When you have the big jump halfway through the track if you slow down and do a sharp turn, you'll fall down close to where the ring-reducing speed-thingy is, skipping the loop and all the rest of the track after that. You might want to use this for Coins if you haven't recorded it yet.

Last edited by Piesonscreations 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I was gonna wait to see if he figured it out himself or if he was going to suffer hard in the boss race today because of not finding that but :P

Y'all don't need to give him advice like that let him figure stuff out on his own
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

To be fair about that shortcut raocow did stumble upon it at one point (around 4:45 in the video), and even though he spent some time getting back onto the track it still saved him time, although despite that raocow didn't seem to realize it was a shortcut because his reaction was simply "that's lame".
raekuul wrote: 4 years ago
which is that you can press both the shoulder buttons to brake. Not exactly the most useful thing in a racing game
Proper braking makes turning so much easier.
True, but this isn't really a "let me slow down so I can turn better" type of braking. It's more like a "I need to come to a complete stop ASAP" type of brake. I guess it might have its uses (for instance, in the track raocow played today you could use it to stop yourself from running past the first ring gate that's right after the loop) but turning isn't really one of them.

Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago Y'all don't need to give him advice like that let him figure stuff out on his own
You're absolutely right, my bad. Spoilered the thing.
ImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

wow, if you watch the map during that final lap, mecha knuckles does straight-up make a wrong turn at the rocket pool

You probably would have won anyway, but wow, mecha knuckles
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

nuts to you, metal knuckles is my boy
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I guess that's one of Robotnik's downfalls? Like, it's great that you can whip up a robot army at the drop of a hat, and make these incredibly powerful minions that are perfect for their specified task, but all it takes is one software glitch and everything goes wrong. raocow probably would have won regardless on that run, but considering Metal Knuckles had the equivalent of a GPS issue...
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Unlocking Metal/Mecha Knuckles being absolute hell is one of my stronger memories from playing lots of the Gems Collection version of this game back in the day. Oof.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The S@nics - ℝ - Can't YOU Feel The Sunshine? Not right now!

Post by Awoo »

I've always loved Metal Knuckles' design, it's a shame they haven't ever used him since

at least to my knowledge, outside of fan games

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image