(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The S@nics - Sonic Jam - 3, 2, 1, Let's Jam & Knuckles!!

Post by KobaBeach »

you cant silence me
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Yay, that was fun (:

(And hey, I did say there were FMVs in the Movie Theater, and he ignored that ): )

So, interesting fact: This game was compatible with the Sega Saturn's 3D Control Pad, which (true to Sega's MO at this point in time) was a big reaction to the N64 controller. While Sony had a similar reaction with the Dual Shock, the design elements of this controller are quite...something:

For what it's worth, it did introduce a new idea at the time: Analog shoulder pads, which allowed for button input to be measured by button press sensitivity as opposed to a simple on/off binary.

This controller design is also the beginning of the lineage of controllers that are now embodied in the current Xbox One controller designs.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

clearly seeing the dna of the dreamcast controller there
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Yay, that was fun (:

(And hey, I did say there were FMVs in the Movie Theater, and he ignored that ): )

So, interesting fact: This game was compatible with the Sega Saturn's 3D Control Pad, which (true to Sega's MO at this point in time) was a big reaction to the N64 controller. While Sony had a similar reaction with the Dual Shock, the design elements of this controller are quite...something:

For what it's worth, it did introduce a new idea at the time: Analog shoulder pads, which allowed for button input to be measured by button press sensitivity as opposed to a simple on/off binary.

This controller design is also the beginning of the lineage of controllers that are now embodied in the current Xbox One controller designs.
On that note, as an FYI to raocow/anyone attempting to emulate the Saturn, most emulators (or at least Mednafen and it's libretro port) default to the Standard Saturn controller for input, and you have to change a setting/edit the config to use the 3D Pad instead.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago clearly seeing the dna of the dreamcast controller there
Indeed. The lineage I would proscribe to this is Saturn 3D Control Pad -> Dreamcast controller -> Original Xbox controller -> Xbox Controller S -> Xbox 360 controller -> Xbox One controller.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Original Xbox controller
excuse me but it is called
THE DUKE

actual size
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Falky »

Reecer7 wrote: 4 years ago
VGjoe wrote: 4 years ago I'll have you know that classical piece is "In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Edvard Grieg, thank you very much :P
let the record know that i was talking about the bit in the beginning, i kind of didn't notice it transitioned to in the hall of the mountain king, except that isn't the william tell overture either, it's... i am terrible at remembering classical music titles, but wto also has a bit of an iconic calm part and i assume all iconic calm parts in classical music are the same, aaaaaaaaaa
Morning Mood from Grieg's Peer Gynt.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

looks like good practice for adventure DX's mission mode

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts! SONIC R

Sonic R was the second Sonic project to be entrusted to Traveller's Tales, the British studio previously responsible for Sonic 3D Blast. The projects shared many members, including studio head Jon Burton (design and programming) and lead artist James Cunliffe. Just like their first Sonic project, it was monitored by members of Sonic Team outlining their requirements and provide feedback as Traveller's Tales implemented their demands.

Funnily enough, Sonic R originally wasn't a Sonic game at all, but a Formula One game. Bizarre Creations, a studio to Sony like what Travellers Tales was to SEGA, had created the breakout PS1 hit B Formula 1 in 1996 , and Sega needed something to hit back with on the Saturn, so the team were sent to work shortly after its release.

The team spent a few months working on the Formula One project (writing an engine and even producing 3D assets) before the troubled Sonic X-treme was cancelled. This led to Sega scrambling for some form of Saturn Sonic , tasking Traveller's Tales to adapt the F1 engine into a Sonic racing game in time for Christmas 1997.
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - ℝ - Can YOU Feel The Sunshine?

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Uh, so as a point of advice/quality of life thing (since there's not really anything in the game that'll tell you this, from what I remember), Sonic can double-jump in this game. It's pretty helpful for taking shortcuts and such.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Despite how beloved Sonic R is, this game is secretly not very good. You may have noticed.

The controls are the buttest of butts, there's a ridiculously clunky spindash mechanic that barely works, every character apart from Sonic is just plain not as good as him, boost pads steal all the rings that you need to unlock doors, that loop at the end of the lap in Resort Island is actively detrimental to go through since you can walk around it, the music is kinda wasted since you're trying to beat levels as fast as possible, and oh god the draw distance is way worse than I remember. Did the Gems Collection port just fix things up a bunch?

From what I remember, there are two different turning buttons? The shoulder buttons, like, "bank" or something for tighter turns, but they also work on their own?? Might help mitigate some of those traction issues.

Also if you get all five tokens in one race and then place in the top 3

you race a hidden character to unlock them

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years agoevery character apart from Sonic is just plain not as good as him
What? Tails and Knuckles blow Sonic out of the water, as do a couple of the secret characters. Easier shortcuts, better handling...

Super, Metal, and M. Knuckles are actually plain faster.
Last edited by Grounder 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago
Blivsey wrote: 4 years agoevery character apart from Sonic is just plain not as good as him
What? Tails and Knuckles blow Sonic out of the water, as do a couple of the secret characters. Easier shortcuts, better handling...

Super, Metal, and Knuckles are actually plain faster.
....it has admittedly been a very long time since I played R, and to be honest I may be thinking of a different Sonic versus game altogether
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

As far as Resort Island goes, you still need to collect the five tokens and place in the top three to unlock the Rival race for the course. Win, and you unlock the rival as a playable character.

I know you usually pick Sonic in every game that gives you a choice, but you should really consider trying out the other characters since they all have unique abilities to help in races. Knuckles would probably be your best choice, since he has the best handling and he can glide. That may not sound like much, but water is used in place of walls a lot of the time, so while everybody can cut corners, Knuckles can just flat-out skip half of the track a lot of the time. Maybe use Sonic for the race itself, and Knuckles for the collectathon sessions. (Gee, I wonder if we'll see that pattern used officially soon?)

This is another game where the GameHut channel has a lot to say about development. The reflections in the logo and loading screen are rather fascinating mechanically, and the fading animation during the levels is not only unique in it hides the poor draw distance artistically, but also does so without using fog to make it look like Sonic runs through "Silent Hill Zone", but it also is technically impossible for the Saturn to do, and is rather amazing that they were able to pull it off. Traveler's Tales seemed to have a reputation for not just scraping the bare metal as far as Saturn programming goes, but pulling off feats like this that even the console developers didn't think was even possible.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

The rewards for getting the tokens are way more interesting than the reward for getting the chaos emeralds (so yes raocow should do it). Anyway I like this game a lot but don't remember it being hard to play; maybe it's just easier on the later versions.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Should point out that contrary to what raocow said, the R in Sonic R actually stands for Red, referring to the red Sonic
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago The rewards for getting the tokens are way more interesting than the reward for getting the chaos emeralds (so yes raocow should do it). Anyway I like this game a lot but don't remember it being hard to play; maybe it's just easier on the later versions.
i would say that it's pretty simple once you get acclimated to the controls and physics, but the acclimation period can range from adapting to it pretty quickly to taking forever and a half to get used to it all
TehRealSalt
ring racers programmer
First name: sally

Post by TehRealSalt »

I didn't realize this game uses the same HUD assets as 3D Blast until now.

(Also as iterated by other people, the shoulder buttons are the "do the sharp turns" buttons)
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Now this is a game that I like a lot. It's also another game that, like Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I played on the computer when I was really young. Because of that I don't really remember a time that I wasn't that good at this game, so watching someone that has no idea what this game is like is an interesting experience. I don't have much else to say right now that hasn't already been said, so I reckon I'll wait for raocow to play some of the other courses.

First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

Man, this game is very nostalgic for me. It's one of those games where it technically isn't like super great or anything, but as a kid it's endlessly fun to just mess around in and try to find all the secrets, since some of them are surprisingly well-hidden; I remember the emeralds in the fourth level being particularly obscure, although maybe I was just not very smart when I was a child.
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Mata Hari wrote: 4 years ago Should point out that contrary to what raocow said, the R in Sonic R actually stands for Red, referring to the red Sonic
Oh, I must have misread it, I always thought it stood for "Rad", an homage to Rad Racer.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

re: analog control discussion, does rao use an analog controller at all? or is everything through the SNES pads?
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

It really is a shame that raocow is stuck with Sonic in this game, because playing with Knuckles is actually a billion times better. And like some other peeps said, should buttons to turn save lives.
Also, glad to hear one of the top 3 soundtracks in Sonic history.
ImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

For a while, Sonic R was going to be titled "Sonic TT", with the source code still making reference to that original title. Though one could be forgiven for thinking this referred to Traveller's Tales, but it was actually meant to reference other racing terms such as "Time Trial" or "Tourist Trophy" (and Manx TT SuperBike, released by Sega two years prior).

Sonic Team designed everything on paper, sending their designs to Traveller's Tales to be converted into 3D models. Some of the original texture work greatly resembled the look of Sonic 3D, particularly in the look of its bushes, but all the artwork had been completely redone by the time the final game shipped.

The game was playable at E3 1997, however Jon Burton noticed that people were giving up the moment they slipped into the water, due to the fact that Sonic's original water speed was almost a dead stop. This was somewhat remedied in time for the final game.