(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Re: Who Knows How Much of Who in the Omni-Catcher - Chaotix - Two Rings to Rule Them All

Post by Matt is me »

I would probably mostly play as Charmy Bee, because his thing is dishing out first sting, and that sounds useful. Espio's clearly ready to go, but since danger hides when the hyper bee flies, Charmy's the right choice.
TehRealSalt
ring racers programmer
First name: sally
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Who Knows How Much of Who in the Omni-Catcher - Chaotix - Two Rings to Rule Them All

Post by TehRealSalt »

Chaotix is like a weird puzzle platformer game more than an actual Sonic game. Made me think of The Lost Vikings but with Sonic physics. I've always kinda liked it, but as you can see it's incredibly janky :V
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

To answer raocow's question: there were 40 32x titles released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_32X_games
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so I'm doing something a little different for tonight's upload. please don't be scared.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

Chaotix, featuring Knuckles from the Knuckles May Chuckle series.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Arguably, Mighty is not a part of the Chaotix team post this game, so there's almost as much chaotix as there's not.
ImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 4 years agoso I'm doing something a little different for tonight's upload. please don't be scared.
Considering how the game works, this isn't too surprising. What this different turns out to be though has my curiosity piqued.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

inb4 raocow just decides to be done with the whole game quickly and goes about it in a Star Fox kind of way, using savestates to ensure to get the acts he wants from every zone, going with one playthrough per video
video games
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Are there bosses for each zone too? I legit don't remember
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago Are there bosses for each zone too? I legit don't remember

ye

Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

TehRealSalt wrote: 4 years ago Chaotix is like a weird puzzle platformer game more than an actual Sonic game. Made me think of The Lost Vikings but with Sonic physics. I've always kinda liked it, but as you can see it's incredibly janky :V
Its kinda Sonic the Hedgehog meets Umihara Kawase. Its dealing with a weird elastic mechanic and learning how to master it so you can just constantly fling yourself everywhere as fast as possible.

Also Door Into Summer is one of the best Sonic songs.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Who Knows How Much of Who in the Omni-Catcher - Chaotix - Two Twins... Quadruplets?

Post by Awoo »

I can't help but remember something raocow said in his Henry Hatsworth playthrough:

"Stupid bomb always inserts itself into my life"

Can't help but wait with anticipation if/when that happens nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

oh my god what the hell iii
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

The story of Knuckles' Chaotix actually has a great deal of difference between the Japanese and Western releases of the game, with two completely irreconcilable storylines!

Let's start with the Japanese version!

"A mysterious island rose from the southern sea a few months after the events of Sonic & Knuckles. Dr. Eggman discovered the island, and found a mysterious little ring inscribed with text dating from a legendary civilization. Soon after, Eggman found another ancient ring resembling one of the Super Rings of the Floating Island, which turned out to be the Special Ring once used by that lost people."

Eggman does a lot of casual archaeology when he's not busy fighting Sonic.

"The mysterious space the Special Ring created was filled with the Master Emerald Pillar's energy, which crystallized into six Chaos Rings. After this phenomenon, Eggman decided to continue the investigation of the Special Ring in order to uncover the secrets of the rings used by Sonic and friends, as well as to theoretically summon the coveted Master Emerald. "

*Note: Original name of Chaos Rings was actually Holy Rings*

"Inspired, Eggman quickly converted the island into a resort he dubbed Newtrogic High Zone, serving as his high-tech research fortress. He crystallized energy into artificial Dark Rings for his machines, and began to develop Ring Power, which would create a space-time connection between Rings. Mighty the Armadillo, Espio the Chameleon, Vector the Crocodile, and Charmy Bee all arrived at the island for different reasons, and ended up being captured and placed in the Combi Catcher machine by Eggman and Metal Sonic."

"Knuckles the Echidna, deducing that something was amplifying the power of the Master Emerald Pillar, also headed to the island and managed to rescue Espio along the way. The two then make their way to the World Entrance where they find the others, and go on to stop Dr. Eggman from succeeding in his plans."

Then there's the Western version of the story, which took some...shall we call them "liberties".

"The day before the opening day of Carnival Island, a huge amusement resort with the latest in high-tech rides and games. Somehow getting the job of 'Guardian of the Island', Knuckles was to make sure nothing went wrong before the grand event."

So Knuckles got hired by somebody to run security. What was his resume like?

"Behind the scenes, however, Dr. Robotnik was cooking up a new dastardly scheme. To fuel his latest diabolical device, Robotnik went to Carnival Island to find the Power Emerald that supplied electricity to the entire island- a tool which would fit into his plan perfectly. To further ensure that Knuckles and his friends would not interfere with his plans, Robotnik used his Combi Catcher to freeze Mighty the Armadillo, Espio the Chameleon, Vector the Crocodile, and Charmy Bee in time."

Somehow Knuckles has friends despite living alone on a floating island for his whole life.

"When Knuckles returned from patrolling the far end of the island, he found Dr. Robotnik as he was imprisoning Espio the Chameleon in a Combi Catcher, scaring the villain off and rescuing Espio. After that, Knuckles discovered that he could rescue his other friends one at a time by using Ring Power, a power that holds two partners together like a magical rubber band. Never held back for long, Knuckles set out with his team to save Carnival Island from Robotnik before the grand opening. "
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Who Knows How Much of Who in the Omni-Catcher - Chaotix - Two Twins... Quadruplets?

Post by Crow »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago I can't help but remember something raocow said in his Henry Hatsworth playthrough:

congratulations, you don't have to wait

this is probably the right way to play this boring as hell game
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

actually watched the vids now

I can't be the only one who thinks this deserves a remake that actually has a clue what it's doing, right? There are some cool ideas here, just implemented really poorly.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Who Knows How Much of Who in the Omni-Catcher - Chaotix - Twin Turbo Turntables

Post by Awoo »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago
Awoo wrote: 4 years ago I can't help but remember something raocow said in his Henry Hatsworth playthrough:

congratulations, you don't have to wait

this is probably the right way to play this boring as hell game
Not quite what I expected, but I can say the same for Chaotix itself, too :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Okay, so the way that the videos were uploaded was intentional. I was a bit worried when I clicked the notification and it took me to an unlisted playlist. I thought that raocow was trying to upload videos ahead of time and automatically release them at the appropriate pace, and that YouTube had just glitched out or something. Nice to know that wasn't the case.

Anyways, Chaotix is one of those games where I tried it at one point, and I couldn't get past the weird controls and team physics. The artwork and especially the Special Stages always interested me. I'd love to see this game remade in the Sonic Worlds engine, with the team physics taken out and replaced with a 5-person character select. I thought of doing it myself, but when I looked at a map of one of the levels, I realized that as nice as the game looks, looking at it as a still image makes it very difficult to determine what's on which layer and whether it's solid or not. (Kind of wish that sites that host game maps would rip individual layers, and then place the layers atop each other in the browser, with the ability to turn layers on and off like in an emulator.)

The only thing that I'm not a big fan of as far as the graphics go is Knuckles himself. I don't know, the game always seemed like it would look best with the detailed and busy environments, but the sprites themselves done like in S3&K.

By the way, there's a mod out there that replaces Mighty with Sonic, redrawn to match the art of the other characters. Just in case anybody wanted to play this with a Sonic & Knuckles team.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Heavy Sigh wrote: Eggman does a lot of casual archaeology when he's not busy fighting Sonic.
Eggman-as-mad-archaeologist honestly puts a lot of the game plots into perspective when you get right down to it. So many of his plans rely on some ancient secret, and it's often implied that he's been off the radar for long periods at a time between games.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I mean the game is living up to its name, it is pretty chaotics.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Huh... I've always avoided this game cuz it looked awful, but you know what just from watching this it actually looks like it might actually be pretty fun once you get the hang of the awkwardness of being tethered to another dude. This might just be the first instance where ATS gets me to play something I haven't played yet.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

oh, yeah, an important part of the chaotix experience that is kinda inconvenient when going for all rings but is entirely necessary nonetheless:

spam the call button. over and over and over and over again until you notice it
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Who Knows How Much of Who in the Combi-Catcher - Chaotix &Knuckles - Two Rings to Rule Them All

Post by Awoo »

I hope we can at least see

raocow's reaction to the bad ending

at least once.

there's a ton of opportunities to get all the Chaos Rings, so it's pretty likely he'll get them all or at least most of them.

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I can see why this game was on the 32X, I doubt the Genesis alone could handle the sheer might of Vector's swagger.

Seeing that the Sonic cast is expanding, I have to ask; does anyone know how Sega decides what kind of animals they choose to make cartoon platformer characters? Like, Knuckles is an echidna, which is not an animal you see a lot in media, unless someone is like; "Look at this thing! It's a freak! It hind legs face backwards! It lays eggs! It has electroreceptors in its face! It has a four headed dong!".