(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
strongbadman

Re: All The SOUPER S@nics - 3&K - Invincible

Post by strongbadman »

Honestly I like the dumb edgelord stuff later in the stories. At best it can actually be kinda interesting, and at worst the juxtaposition of cartoon hedgehogs talking about war is very funny to me.
Nast

Post by Nast »

I agree with Cyril, Heroes is the one where they started going overboard. I imagine 06's side characters (and Silver) didn't endear people either.

To think there was a time when having Sonic as the only playable character was a selling point
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I honestly don't think people actually got to a point where they were like "woah that's too many characters", it's just a stupid outsider "common knowledge" thing. It certainly has little to do with why the bad games are bad.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Matt is me wrote: 4 years ago "Follow the path. Do not deviate from this pathway", raocow says, just before he turns left and deviates from that pathway. :lol:
Over and over and over...

Nah, but for real, nice job with those. The blue sphere stages can be real tough. Thanks for showcasing the lot of 'em!
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Special Stage Facts!

The Special Stages of Sonic 3 & Knuckles were created by Yuji Naka after watching Dragon Ball one day, thinking that the tiny planet King Kai lived on was an amazing visual for a Special Stage.

To realize this 3D sphere effect without actually making use of polygons or destroying the Mega Drive's processor, artists created a special still image, utilizing the magic of palette shifting to give the illusion of movement. Each square of the checkered sphere is split up into multiple lines, and each of those lines is linked to a different color entry in the palette. So offsetting all colors inside the palette by one, (an easy task for the processor) results in a one pixel shift of the pattern. Thus, with a sixteen color entry palette, 16 images are made out of one, with actual new graphics only required when Sonic turned.

In a cute detail, the colours of the Sonic 3 Special Stages reflect the original level order of the game. The first stage uses a colour scheme similar to Angel Island Zone, the next, Hydrocity Zone, then Marble Garden Zone, Carnival Night Zone, but the fifth stage uses the colour scheme of a Sonic & Knuckles level, Flying Battery Zone, as Flying Battery was originally destined for the first game. This detail was not carried over to Sonic & Knuckles.

Sadly, the "Get Blue Spheres" message was changed from "Get Blue Balls" once the Special Stages were ready to leave development.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I honestly don't think people actually got to a point where they were like "woah that's too many characters", it's just a stupid outsider "common knowledge" thing. It certainly has little to do with why the bad games are bad.
Probably, but also: Big the Cat
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Big the cat rules and I will hear no dissention
warpio

Post by warpio »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I honestly don't think people actually got to a point where they were like "woah that's too many characters", it's just a stupid outsider "common knowledge" thing. It certainly has little to do with why the bad games are bad.
Well they did still make new characters for a quite a while into the 2000's era, but as of the 2010's they have pretty much stopped completely in terms of adding new playable main guys (unless you count the avatar in Forces). I think 06 might've been the turning point that got them to rethink their strategy and start making the Sonic franchise work more like Mario.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: All The H Y P E R S@nics - 3&K - If'n I Was God

Post by SAJewers »

Something I realized from this lp: I don't really care for the Genesis Sound Chip, especially with this game when there's a PC version with MIDI.

(a hot take i'll admit)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago Something I realized from this lp: I don't really care for the Genesis Sound Chip, especially with this game when there's a PC version with MIDI.

(a hot take i'll admit)
that's a valid take as long as you had MIDI configured properly and hooked up to a decent card, rather than the stock Windows MIDI, which was the case for 99% or more of kids playing the PC version.

Also I love that funky, jazzy YM2612 sound. But that's mostly nostalgia and familiarity.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Oh, totally.

The YM2612 can probably be used to output a decent sound, but for games also released on other platforms, I definitely prefer the sound of the other platforms.
Last edited by SAJewers 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago
Probably, but also: Big the Cat
I don't think it was "too many characters" so much as "a lot of mis-aimed characters"

Like, examples: Rouge doesn't make sense other than to fit a trope that doesn't really belong, Silver came around way too soon to be yet another rival hedgehog, Cream seemed to be this kid-friendly addition that wasn't necessary.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Yeah. The problem isn't the characters, it's the non-standard modes of play they represent. Tails was originally just Player 2, and then ended up being a bit like Easy Mode. Cream in later games is basically just beginner mode,

or would be if making her available immediately worked sensibly in that title

... while Big represented a wholly bizarre pivot to trying to sell Sega Bass Fishing and the various other characters essentially exist to have some slower gameplay and offset the fact that fast + 3D = lots of expensive assets that get rushed past. They're ostensibly for replayability's sake and asset reuse, but they're not the "go fast" mode the game is sold on, for the most part. The clash of the marketing and the actual gameplay, again, a Sega speciality.
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - Edusoft - Win the Race

Post by Grounder »

i couldn't think of a better joke :ehh:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

what's the point of the "press when two are the same" bits. its not even education it's just hey do you have the basic ability to compare two objects

also i bet this game has wicked speedruns
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Badniks aren't programmed to do math, these races were all rigged.
ImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

not that seeing more sonic's edusoft would be particularly riveting, but i'm pretty sure you could go through the gates now(?)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Yeah, I'm not at all familiar with this game, and wanted to know what was behind those gates. I'm invested!
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Tiertex, developers of Sonic's Edusoft (on commission from publisher US GOLD), actually focus tested the game at a primary school in Didsbury, Manchester to a crowd of adoring five year olds. This was after a very long time in development, as the game had started only a few months after Sonic 1 was released, thus becoming the third/second Sonic game ever developed (depending on what one counts as the start of development) and the first one made entirely outside SEGA.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

It pre-dates Sonic Eraser!

Reminder that Sonic Eraser still exists.

You now have the Sonic Eraser music noises in your head.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

The Eggrobo Knuckles fights against is the same Eggrobo that emerges from the pile of destroyed Eggrobos in Sonics' Chaos Emerald only ending, as Knuckles' storyline takes place after the destruction of the Death Egg.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago Reminder that Sonic Eraser still exists.

You now have the Sonic Eraser music noises in your head.
i don't C L A N G know what you C L A N G could possibly C L A N G be talking C L A N G about
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics & Knockles - 3&K - Angel

Post by Grounder »

Knuckles' intro story is only for S&K standalone.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Perhaps one day Knuckle and Tail will meet, and then they will no longer be lonely.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

You know Tail.
You know Knuckle.
NOW I PRESENT TO YOU...........
SONICS
ImageImage