(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The SOUPER S@nics - 3&K - Invincible

Post by Blivsey »

Hitting Orbinauts with Sonic's insta-shield is super satisfying in this level. It's the single best example of the move's utility.

Honestly, I'm on the fence with Launch Base's music. Both the Genesis and Collection themes are pretty good (once you get past the over-the-top midi intro).

Also maybe it's just my musical inclinations making me hyper-attentive to the differences between the act themes? But I really do feel like there's a massive tonal difference between "comparing flying battery's themes" and "comparing carnival night's themes", for example
Reecer7 wrote: like, i have literally never heard carnival night zone act 2, and i hear act 1 constantly!
maybe you have and just didn't notice it was different
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The Sup Sonic - 3&K - YOU... YOU...

Post by Awoo »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago I cannot look at those Icecap Penguin bots without thinking of the infamously rude Robotnik comic edits, specifically this one (NSFW language):
YOU SAID THERE WOULD BE CAKE
WHERE IS THE CAKE EGG-MAN
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Since Sonic 3 was, like Sonic 2, being developed in the USA at STI, SEGA thought it might be good to look there for some musical talent. This is where most evidence is scant and circumstantial, but what there is points to the fact that, somehow, pop sensation Michael Jackson got wind of SEGA's search for musical talent before it even started, and approached them about doing the soundtrack for Sonic 3. It may sound improbable that he would ask them, but Jackson had a prior history with Sega (the biggest being that they had produced Jackson's game Moonwalker early in the Mega Drive's lifespan). But the biggest reasons for his approach were simple: He liked video games, and he liked Sonic the Hedgehog.

By all accounts, Sega accepted his offer immediately.

However, Michael Jackson is not credited in either part of Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Instead, credits go to the following "music composers": Brad Buxer, Bobby Brooks, Darryl Ross, Geoff Grace, Doug Grigsby III and Scirocco (While Sega's internal sound team are also thought to have composed music for the game, there is no evidence as to which members made what). The omission, while not surprising, as in the early 90s it was not too unusual for only the core team of developers to make it into the credits (and sometimes not even them), was perhaps not surprising, but still curious, as several staff members later mentioned the star in interviews by name, only for others to deny he was ever involved, with some even retracting earlier statements.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Accidental Super Sonic Count: 6

If only Knuckles' Launch Base Act 2 played itself as much as this one... that was the first time I actually made it to this zone and DANG.

That's for another day though!

also regarding music i literally can't tell what changes between acts 1 & 2 of this song and they both have really awkward loops too. never been a fan of launch base's music.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Kopasznyaku

Post by Kopasznyaku »

Oh, man I see there's been a bit of attention here for the PC exclusive songs of S3&K but it kind of bugs me whenever I see people posting the MIDIs with the Windows XP MSGS MIDI soundfont, rather than stuff like OPL3, which was what was around when the port was made & what they were pretty clearly made for since it was originally a Genesis soundtrack meant for FM.

Here's a playlist using the OPL3 soundfont for the PC exclusive songs which, imo, sounds leagues better than the MSGS MIDIs that WockesZero uploaded. -- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... uTbxd06_rU

Just kinda wanted to get this out there and let you guys hear how these songs -actually- sounded to someone who grew up with this version instead of the Genesis
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

this just reminds me of the sheer mammoth that heroes is gonna be

hope you guys are looking forward to three or four months of the same game when we finally get there
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Kopasznyaku wrote: 4 years ago Just kinda wanted to get this out there and let you guys hear how these songs -actually- sounded to someone who grew up with this version instead of the Genesis
Counterargument: I grew up with that version, and the MIDI is what they sounded like to me. So that's why I've been posting them, specifically, in addition to Genesis renditions.

Anyhoo, this is the last one, so I might as well wrap up.

Kopasznyaku

Post by Kopasznyaku »

Fair enough; still I strongly prefer the OPL3 versions and believe they're how the songs were really meant to sound on PC because FM.

Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

knuckles is my favorite character and a major reason for that is the fact that he is treated as a joke so often

like while he isn't exactly the dumb shonen hero trope, he shares a lot of the same notes and there's something that's always appealed to me about that trope being used for an "off-to-the-side" main character, like a partner or teammate character. i guess it's just because of the fact that that sort of position makes it feel more natural for someone to be hindered more severely by their flaws, because they aren't the one being the primary force behind the story's plot or its themes or such, but at the same time are still in a strong position to influence and reinforce them. and when the writing's good ( see: the animations the sonic youtube have been putting up lately ), he just ends up being a really fun character ( although then again, everyone does in those animations )

plus i've always just preferred his design to sonic's, both visually and in gameplay. as much as blue's my favorite color, knuckles has always felt a lot cooler and sleeker, and he's even cooler when you consider that he can do almost all of the acrobatic sort of attacks sonic can, but he can also just punch a fucker if need be. he's also always felt like he fits a lot more into the game's balance of speed and exploration, and while that's generally true for all characters that aren't just gameplay clones of sonic anyway, his stages in the adventure series really put that in the forefront

... the best ones do, anyway
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

So you like him because he's rougher than the rest of them.

The best of them.

Tougher than leather.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

i'd rather flex my knuckles
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The Salad Tongs - 3&K - Invisible

Post by Awoo »

yes i know i've posted this before

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Between getting in lifts when he's not supposed to, and jumping into the water and drowning, Tails has really been dead weight these past two days.
Darn it Tails.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

By the way... My old disc was broken years ago, so the SKC talk inspired me to check Amazon and whaddayaknow, there was a good-quality copy for literally one whole dollar.

Took some work, because Windows 10 was convinced the setup .exe wasn't compatible, but that's what the internet and game conservation efforts are for. The game works like a charm.

Haven't seen InstallShield in years...
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago By the way... My old disc was broken years ago, so the SKC talk inspired me to check Amazon and whaddayaknow, there was a good-quality copy for literally one whole dollar.

Took some work, because Windows 10 was convinced the setup .exe wasn't compatible, but that's what the internet and game conservation efforts are for. The game works like a charm.

Haven't seen InstallShield in years...
Yeah, while it "works" it's probably not "playable" out of the box.

Hooray for SEGA PC Reloaded

also while you're at it if you want better sounding midi https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

I was gonna go in-depth about setting it up around when raocow's lp of it, but since you brought it up...
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

SAJewers wrote: Yeah, while it "works" it's probably not "playable" out of the box.

Hooray for SEGA PC Reloaded

also while you're at it if you want better sounding midi https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

I was gonna go in-depth about setting it up around when raocow's lp of it, but since you brought it up...
Why would he LP it? It's a port. It doesn't have any gameplay differences from the Genesis version, or any important new features (apart from the screensaver). Best it's got is free access to Blue Sphere.

...I do want a Screensaver LP, though. (And on the topic of Sonic 3, I kinda want to see a video on the Competition mode since, unlike in Sonic 2, the versus stages are completely new zones

and some of the music shows up again way later in the series

.)

Also yeah, definitely go for PC Reloaded if you're looking into the PC versions of 3K, CD, or 3D Blast (or Ecco, I guess). There's no reason not to, unless you like your game issues to be caused by incompatibility rather than actual bad design and programming.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago Why would he LP it?
He said he would 🤷‍♀️
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean you sounded excited about it so I figured why not :P

if people think it's not necessary because it is litteraly just a port, that's cool too.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

well, you did play the gba port of MM&B in order to re-play as bass, so i mean, i don't see why not re-play as another character using a port that's arguably pretty noteworthy.

also, might as well if people are clamouring for a sonic the screensaver lp :P
Last edited by SAJewers 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago I mean you sounded excited about it so I figured why not :P

if people think it's not necessary because it is litteraly just a port, that's cool too.
You could do the Knuckles run on it, I guess!

...this is gonna sound real dumb if that's already what you were planning and I just missed you saying it somewhere!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

nah I'm doing the knuckles run immediately after the sonic run, the games are so different in part I want the sonic run to still be fresh in people's memories
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

here there raocow, now that you have (technically) reached Mushroom Hill, the game will quickly point you at an optional thing, I advise that you go for it, trust me on this.

because of what will happen then, you wont have to worry about accidentally going Super during regular gameplay

interesting to note is that during a Knuckles run, it will be mandatory

Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Kincyr wrote: 4 years ago here there raocow, now that you have (technically) reached Mushroom Hill, the game will quickly point you at an optional thing, I advise that you go for it, trust me on this.

because of what will happen then, you wont have to worry about accidentally going Super during regular gameplay

interesting to note is that during a Knuckles run, it will be mandatory

not if you go fast

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Yeah, not really feeling three playthroughs of 3&K, two of which are basically going to be identical to each other.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Nast

Post by Nast »

I've never played S&KC so I don't know how significant it actually is, but I don't think there'd be much point in playing it, at least not a full run. Like, with MM&B, for what it's worth at least the GBA port had the screen-crunch as a significant gameplay difference, while SK&C seems the same just with MIDI music.