(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: All The S@nics - Spinball - Going Full Tilt

Post by SAJewers »

raekuul wrote: 4 years ago Also, having played Kirby's Pinball Land in the past half hour, I am morally obligated to amend my previous recommendation - even though you won't get a feel for making skill shots with KPL (or Pokemon Pinball now that I think about it) it's a very good game for learning ball control due to how simple the tables are in practice.
Just curious, but what video game pinball games have you played? maybe we can find a more proper one to suggest to raocow to lp
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The Scnics - Spinball - Going Full Table

Post by Awoo »

Could always play KISS Pinball?

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

As far as virtual tables?
  • Kirby's Pinball Land
  • Sonic Spinball, both 16 and 8 bit thanks to having both Mega Collection and Gems Collection during my high school years
  • Pokemon Pinball R/B
  • Pinball for the Atari 2600
  • Pinball Dreams (DOS) - I love all four of the tables on this one but Steel Wheel is probably my favorite just for the flavor. Nightmare is a blast once you get used to making every launch into a skill shot though, which you kind of have to do in order to get anywhere with it due to the shorter launch tube
  • Pinball Fantasy (the only table I like from this set is Billion Dollar Game Show)
  • Epic Pinball (ENIGMA~)
  • 3D Space Cadet (which I really should find that one again)
I'm sure there are others but these are the ones that I most remember due to playing them the most.
Admittedly I've fallen out of practice of late and I'm not familiar with any of the more recent virtual tables or with any conversion tables (virtual tables that are recreations of physical tables)

Kirby's and Sonic Spinball are the only ones that are actually videogames - all the rest are pinball tables first and videogames second (even Pokemon). Epic Pinball's Enigma table might be fun to watch raocow "learn" for a one-off though thanks to its premise, and it even has a discrete ending.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

raekuul wrote: 4 years ago [...]if you take precisely the same actions every time, you'll get the same results every time.
Well, that's asuming that the tables are always in the same condition and don't wear out in the slightest. Although yeah, in practice, i figure this statement would be true.
You mentioned the GBC Pokemon Piball game, but what about the GBA one? And the GBA Sonic one? It'd be interesting to see experienced peep's perspective on different licensed pinball videogames.
ImageImage
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

I have no opinion perspective on the GBA pinball games since I never played them. I've seen them and Mario Pinball Party (now that's a suggestion for the ever-dwindling A-Side), for what it's worth, and what I saw of GBA Sonic Pinball was that it was a pinball game masquerading as a videogame (like Pokemon Pinball R/B). Like Enigma, it's probably better off as a one-shot or as Voxatron-like filler if there's an emergency (though also like Enigma it has a discrete ending, so if the goal is to reach the ending make sure you bring your, uh, "tool assistance").

Edit:
Well, that's asuming that the tables are always in the same condition and don't wear out in the slightest. Although yeah, in practice, i figure this statement would be true.
And yeah, while wear and tear is a factor for physical tables, the amount of irreparable wear needed to create discrepancies in play, especially for modern tables, would mean either the table itself was poorly-made or you bought one that used to be at a pub or an arcade. The sort of table that you'd keep in a rec room shouldn't see enough play to wear down like that. As for tear, public owners tend to ban players that make a lot of slam tilts, which are the kind of tilts that will damage tables (there's a certain infamous Flintstones episode - "The Tycoon" - that shows the usual result of regularly and repeatedly performing a slam tilt on a table in a public venue: getting kicked out of the venue itself). Private owners that allow slam tilts regularly (including in their own play) end up finding out the hard way just how expensive maintaining a pinball table can be.

Editwo: If you want someone who can better/more accurately explain physical tables you'll want to look up McSirTuna - my preference is more for virtual tables than physical/converted ones. I only know what I know (which isn't nearly enough) because I was at one time jealous of an uncle of mine who had a whole damn arcade in his basement and I wanted to know what all went in to having one of my own. Way too expensive for my tastes/wallet.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

The familiar Sonic theme song STI originally used on the title screen had to be changed at the absolute last minute. Why?

Because Hirokazu Yasuhara, at the launch party , had pointed out SEGA did not own the rights to the music. Thus, multiple versions of Spinball wound up being released in the US.

The reason the music was changed was due to Masato Nakamura's Dreams Come True band owning the rights to the Title music and Sega was required to pay royalties to use it. SEGA, being SEGA, refused to license the track on an ongoing basis, however, no one at STI had been informed of this. Thus, the music composer Howard Drossin ran back to his desk to compose new music as the game manufacturing process had just started. While he worked with sonic speed, a small number of carts containing the copyrighted track had shipped to stores.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I feel like this would have been more tolerable if you got good at bomb climbing to recover.

The way the video was edited, it kind of looked like you tried once and then gave up.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

There is no visual tell for this boss, as far as I know. You just have to eventually figure it out. As I recall, the rules are:

Hit the button 3 times and he'll put away his socks. He'll put them back up if you:
(a) run out of time,
(b) fall out of the ship, or
(c) hit the button again.

Once he puts them back up, you gotta hit the button 3 more times again (unless he put them up for reason (c), then only 2 more times...the one that put the socks back counts). Luckily, if he puts them back because of (a), there IS a tell that time ran out, in that it says "Smell My Socks". I'm actually not 100% sure (b) is a thing, but even if it isn't, you'll run out of time trying to climb back up anyways.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago I feel like this would have been more tolerable if you got good at bomb climbing to recover.

The way the video was edited, it kind of looked like you tried once and then gave up.
oh no, I tried a few times, never made it anywhere
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Piesonscreations

Man, that boss sucked ass. But hey, seeing all of spinball was interesting!
ImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Matt is me wrote: 4 years ago There is no visual tell for this boss, as far as I know. You just have to eventually figure it out. As I recall, the rules are:

Hit the button 3 times and he'll put away his socks. He'll put them back up if you:
(a) run out of time,
(b) fall out of the ship, or
(c) hit the button again.
That's correct. You hit the button three times, that's your cue to attack. You hit the button again, which happened quite a bit in this vid, and it's reset. Flipper catch is very important in this fight. That said, raocow's now beaten this game saves between levels or not, and I haven't!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I really enjoyed this LP because I've never once seen anything past toxic caves. Very fascinating game
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Man, spinball sucked ass. But hey, seeing all of spinball was interesting!
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I can't help but think that if raocow had just smelled Robotnik's socks as he requested, they could have reached a peaceful resolution and none of this would have been necessary.
Piesonscreations

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Man, spinball sucked ass. But hey, seeing all of spinball was interesting!
Hey, i'm not saying you're wrong, cause you're not, but there were inklings of fun spread around!
ImageImage
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

Regarding other pinball video games, I've always liked Metroid Prime Pinball. It's definitely one of those you couldn't do on a real table, although the ball turning into a person and shooting missiles would be awesome and it wouldn't surprise me if some pinball designer has thought of a similar mechanism at some point, even if only for a second before thinking "nah, that's impossible". There are some really creative things on real tables, like the invisible flippers on Twilight Zone or the Mist Multiball start on Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Most of my pinball experience comes from The Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX. Sadly not many real machines near me. The bowling alley used to have an Addams Family and an arcade a few miles away had one of the Mario machines, but I was far too young at the time to realise that there were objectives other than paying fifty pence to press the flippers randomly and look at the pretty lights.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Re: One Or Two Silvanas - Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - I Feel Like Some Apple Pie!

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: One Or Two Silvanas - Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - I Feel Like Some Apple Pie!

Post by Crow »

so we're really doing the whooooole game? not a one-shot?

...your decision i guess but umm. you said it yourself, this game is not the least bit interesting to watch lol
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago so we're really doing the whooooole game? not a one-shot?

...your decision i guess but umm. you said it yourself, this game is not the least bit interesting to watch lol
We might be getting even more, since the 8-bit version has a puzzle mode.

On the note of more, though, Puyo Puyo Tetris LP when?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Yeah, I'm not sure about whether or not you should do a full playthrough of this, especially on Normal mode. If you're a beginner puyo player, there's a pretty big difficulty spike once you hit stage 3, so I wouldn't blame you not continuing this playthrough at any point.

That being said, I do want to note on one thing that's pretty stupid about this game, and it's the fact that the lose tile isn't clearly defined. It's this one red square here.

As long as none of your puyos beans occupy that one square, you won't lose. Vice versa for your opponent.

With that said though, at least you have enough skill in this game to get through Sonic Mania's

forced Puyo boss!

Last edited by Katazuki 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Who has the most?
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Oh boy, I'm really looking forward to a whole bunch of the same video: "raocow tries to set up a combo and beats the CPU opponent without having any idea how he did it, being too busy trying to set up something completely unrelated". The only difference will probably be the length of the videos gradually increasing as the AI goes up.

Just kidding, seriously think that you're putting yourself down a bit too much. I mean, you've been managing Hatsworth over time. Maybe playing that one will help get you in the right mindset for playing this one? You said that you've played this before, or at least Puyo Puyo before, so at some point maybe that should come back to you? (Honestly thought this would be a one-shot, since Sonic makes no appearance and isn't even in the title of the game.)

Anyways, if I'm not mistaken, this is the first video game appearance of TV Robotnik. I could have sworn that I had seen a spritesheet of an unused version of the Spinball final boss where he looked like this rather than his usual look, but my Google-fu failed me and I couldn't find it again to show it. Honestly, I remember it actually looking better than what we actually got, being better designed for the size of the sprite itself.

Kind of curious how Heavy Sigh is going to pull off enough "Fun Sonic Facts" for this game, I don't think there's enough trivia for it. Maybe branch out and give us more of a Puyo Puyo trivia session? I know that this series in particular has a rather interesting history behind it, both over the origin of the series and what happened to it as far as licensing and the developer. (I'm only familiar with the developer from their Neptunia appearances.)
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

In today's video, Robotnik takes over the Beanbean Kingdom and has plenty of beans to exploit because raocow didn't want to find all of them in the Superstar Saga LP. KARMA
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

kurt91 wrote: 4 years ago Oh boy, I'm really looking forward to a whole bunch of the same video: "raocow tries to set up a combo and beats the CPU opponent without having any idea how he did it, being too busy trying to set up something completely unrelated". The only difference will probably be the length of the videos gradually increasing as the AI goes up.

Just kidding, seriously think that you're putting yourself down a bit too much. I mean, you've been managing Hatsworth over time. Maybe playing that one will help get you in the right mindset for playing this one? You said that you've played this before, or at least Puyo Puyo before, so at some point maybe that should come back to you? (Honestly thought this would be a one-shot, since Sonic makes no appearance and isn't even in the title of the game.)

Anyways, if I'm not mistaken, this is the first video game appearance of TV Robotnik. I could have sworn that I had seen a spritesheet of an unused version of the Spinball final boss where he looked like this rather than his usual look, but my Google-fu failed me and I couldn't find it again to show it. Honestly, I remember it actually looking better than what we actually got, being better designed for the size of the sprite itself.

Kind of curious how Heavy Sigh is going to pull off enough "Fun Sonic Facts" for this game, I don't think there's enough trivia for it. Maybe branch out and give us more of a Puyo Puyo trivia session? I know that this series in particular has a rather interesting history behind it, both over the origin of the series and what happened to it as far as licensing and the developer. (I'm only familiar with the developer from their Neptunia appearances.)
That's actually from Segasonic the Hedgehog. It was slated to be released in the USA before being cancelled at the last minute since arcades were hitting the skids in terms of profit.

Fun Sonic Facts!

Unlike other Sonic the Hedgehog games, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine occurs in the canon of the show Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, featuring its version of Dr. Robotnik (and his cohorts Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts). Sonic himself does not appear in the game and is never referenced - instead the protagonist is thought to be a character called Has Bean, who can be seen dancing during each match.

Robotnik has hatched a plan to ensure that no music or fun remains on the planet Mobius. To do this, he kidnaps the citizens of Beanville and stuffs them into a giant robotising machine called the Mean Bean-Steaming Machine (hence the game's title) to make them into his robot slaves. The player must foil Robotnik's plans by defeating all 12 robot guards, and finally Robotnik himself, in a reskinned Puyo Puyo match.

Mean Bean Machine entered production before Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog had aired, so the games characters only loosely reflect those in the show. Eight of the robots were bounty hunters hired by Robotnik to stop Sonic in the first episode of the series, and all, save for Dragon Breath in Stage 11, lack speaking roles and never show up again.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago Mean Bean Machine entered production before Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog had aired, so the games characters only loosely reflect those in the show. Eight of the robots were bounty hunters hired by Robotnik to stop Sonic in the first episode of the series, and all, save for Dragon Breath in Stage 11, lack speaking roles and never show up again.
S.S.S.S.S. SQUAD
ARRES.S.S.S.ST HIM
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes