(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The Soñics - CD - ...The Problemo no Yoku

Post by Awoo »

Super looking forward to seeing how raocow deals with the tiny Sonic segment in this level :rao:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Re: All The S@nics - CD - ...The Problem's Chronic!

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

In the UK version of Sonic the Comic, the storyline that was based on Sonic CD was set exclusively in Metallic Madness. There, Sonic fought against Metal Sonic, known as Metallix, and had to use a Time Stone provided to him by his future self to essentially paradox his robotic doppelganger out of existence. Later on, it emerged that Robotnik had established a replication facility in one of his abandoned fortresses, and had intended for the creation of an army of the Metallix. However, the Emperor Metallix (based on Metal Sonic KAI) went rogue and assumed control of the Brotherhood of Metallix, seeking to take over Mobius independently of Robotnik's forces.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

The Hero Hartmut wrote: 4 years ago In the UK version of Sonic the Comic, the storyline that was based on Sonic CD was set exclusively in Metallic Madness. There, Sonic fought against Metal Sonic, known as Metallix, and had to use a Time Stone provided to him by his future self to essentially paradox his robotic doppelganger out of existence. Later on, it emerged that Robotnik had established a replication facility in one of his abandoned fortresses, and had intended for the creation of an army of the Metallix. However, the Emperor Metallix (based on Metal Sonic KAI) went rogue and assumed control of the Brotherhood of Metallix, seeking to take over Mobius independently of Robotnik's forces.
God I loved the Brotherhood of Metallix storyline. I still think of Metal Sonic as Metallix to this day.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

the absolute madcow
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

so pretty much everything that could go wrong went wrong
1. had difficulty getting into the past
2. had difficulty finding the machine
3. got stuck in the past because the devs screwed up and made the level unwinnable in the past

the true sonic CD experience
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago 3. got stuck in the past because the devs screwed up and made the level unwinnable in the past

the true sonic CD experience
nononono, you see, this was an intentional test run of robotnik's then prototype time trap
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Is it really unwinable? I mean, I wouldn't doubt it, but it felt like there might've been other ways to explore left.
Also, even though i've played through this game a couple of times, I don't recall the tiny Sonic segments, hmm...
ImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

it's totally unwinnable, from the side the machine is in.

right here:

to continue with the level you'd have to bounce off that spring that sends you up + left. but you can't do that in the past. it wasn't set up right. you can do it in the future and the present but not the past, and that's the one singular way forward, the connecting point between the first half and second half of the level

because this game was playtested

i like this game on the whole for as misguided as it was but this specific thing is just, stupid
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Charitably, you could see it as the game in its final exploration stage going the extra mile by requiring the use of time travel to get out of that part of the level. This does not make it enjoyable...
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I never knew about that shrunk section. Huh, neat.

raocow probably could have warped from the past to the present, when running near the bottom. Instead of jumping over the spring, he should have on it.

To play devil's advocate, I'm going to make an argument against some of your complaints about how the game doesn't make it easy to use its time travel gimmick.
Thinking about the standard's back then (when they kinda didn't exist, hehe), I think they wanted you to earn your way to time travel, putting a little more effort than just holding right. They didn't want to just give it to you. I think they wanted you to scout ahead any potential paths for speed, and locate any obstacles that would stop you in your tracks.

In the 2011 remake, did they fix that unwinnable section in the Past?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow

Post by Crow »

@sebby i believe it's fixed, yeah
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

this video is the perfect length to listen to the brawlbrstms3 x extended video of the japanese bad future theme!
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

I had no idea you could actually get stuck like that in the original version of the game. That's a real lack of foresight on the devs' part.

Next time on Sonic CD:

prepare to be underwhelmed!

Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

10204307 wrote: 4 years ago Next time on Sonic CD:

prepare to be underwhelmed!

I mean, that's not exactly a surprise,

especially considering this game's track record with bosses. The level leading up to the boss has sent me to the game over screen, but the boss itself has never killed me.

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The S8niçs - CD - ...The Problem's Chrome

Post by Awoo »

I still find it super neat that

the original final boss music gets a super neat remix in the Christmas version of NiGHTs into Dreams

Congrats on the good ending, raocow! :rao:

Can't wait to see what's next
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
eltiolavara9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arVDPAVX8bE
First name: hi

Post by eltiolavara9 »

it's me, tiny sonic!
hi
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - Annual EVO Break #1 - SEE YOU NEXT GAME

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The $onics - Annual EV(il)O Break #1 - SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY

Post by Awoo »

Kinda anticlimactic, for sure. The US version seriously doesn't have different music for the final boss? That's surprisingly lame!

Oh man, it's already Evil Weekend time? raocow, what are you doing, acting like a human to take a brief break to do other things you enjoy?

Seriously though, this playthrough was great, and I hope you enjoy your time off!
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So if there is one major critique I have of the American soundtrack, is that the Final Boss music is a barely altered version of the regular boss music. As in I can't tell the difference if you play them back-to-back. Sounds like a lazy rehash that was done at the last second. Considering the guy only had a month to replace all the music... yeah. Oh well.
But on the other hand, the JP version has some really weird opera lady doing a one-woman wail, that is just, too out there and unfitting to be put in any video game, period.
So I guess you can't really win with the final boss track in either version. Oh well.

Oh, forgot to ask raocow to show off images in the debug menu. One is of Tails, saying something like 'see you next game'. I'm sure there is a story behind that.
And then there is this, other, creepy image. You know the one.
I guess someone here can just post the debug images,

You know, with Sonic saying 'Yeah' whenever he grabs a 1up, I think this is technically the first game where we hear Sonic's canon voice (if you ignore that weird police car game). Am I right?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The S*nics - Annual EVO Break #1 - SEE YOU NEXT GAME

Post by Awoo »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago But on the other hand, the JP version has some really weird opera lady doing a one-woman wail, that is just, too out there and unfitting to be put in any video game, period.
Christmas NiGHTs into Dreams disagrees

I love the remix bit they do at the end. It's surprising hard to find actual footage of the fight itself for some reason.

If that song doesn't fit the tone and style of NiGHTs, I don't know what does.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Ohman it's time for the last musicpost.

And the requisite TD versions.

Also this one since I don't think I posted it

Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Sebby19 wrote: But on the other hand, the JP version has some really weird opera lady doing a one-woman wail, that is just, too out there and unfitting to be put in any video game, period.
So like, you are entitled to your own opinions and all that, but do be careful about whose musical tastes you casually dump on. You never know what sort of things you may be motivating a composer to produce even more of and dedicate specifically to you
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

ominous.

But yeah, can't really come up with many examples of games that use opera.

It just really weirds me out, kay?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, you said the same thing about this game I did. There's literally no reason to go to the future outside of the third level in each area. Give me something to do there or it comes off as pointless, and it is.

While we're on that subject, there's also nothing gameplay related to be gained by destroying the Metal Sonic projectors. It just causes animals to appear in the background. They're also not in Metallic Madness because you beat him in Stardust Speedway even though that makes little sense since you figure Metal Sonic helped take over that area, too. Time travel plots, yo.

Anyway, you got the good ending. You either get that by collecting all of the Time Stones or destroying all the robot transporters. You obviously did the latter. Congrats! It's a fun game with some noticeable flaws, mostly with the spin dash being garbage in all the pre-remaster versions and Wacky Workbench in general. It's solid, but yeah, the Genesis ones are all better to me. See you next week!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Boy they sure did not have a plan for building to any sort of climax. You play through a short stage with not much happening, fight two waves of a not particularly interesting new enemy, and then an Eggman fight of no significance compared to all the other ones. Then it just ends.