(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Re: All The S@nics - 2 - I Could Go Super Sonic...

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

I was already looking forward to this game just for the novelty, but I never expected rao to figure out the point of the game in such a satisfying way. That was great.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - SegaSonic Bros. - DO NOT STEAL!

Post by Grounder »

Man, I was expecting Sonic Colo(u)rs to cover more than primary, but you do you, Sega... :partygator:

also yes the title is low-hanging fruit but come on
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago also yes the title is low-hanging fruit but come on
made me laugh so it's a-ok
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

So let me see if I can get this concept straight: There are multiple Sonics, but there are also multiples of each multiple. They slowly descend from the heavens, but you can make them fall faster, causing them to scream out briefly before making contact with some solid surface, whereupon they transform in to uniform cubes of some shiny substance, unable to move or communicate with the world, but presumably still retaining some form of consciousness. Nevertheless, they seem to derive some comfort from lying up next to their kin (perhaps their sense of touch is the only method they have left for experiencing the world?), but by isolating them from one another, you can cause them to give in to despair and flash out of existence. For some reason, this delivers a shock to a man who is playing a video game (though it is not this video game, or at least not this video game on this particular plane of existence; some sort of mise-en-abyme-style nested recursion cannot be ruled out). Do this enough times (events getting more frantic with each electrical impulse delivered), and you will eventually steal a gemstone from him (with the ultimate goal of ruining his juggling act), which will then fall in to the same field as our copies-of-copies Sonics currently experiencing the aforementioned body horror scenario, whereupon it will explode violently, presumably destroying any ex-Sonics occupying the same horizontal row. Hereafter, the feeding-frenzy-like crescendo calms down for a bit before before the same grotesque bacchanalia repeats itself. Continue until you have either shattered Robotik's dreams of making a career switch from professional videogamesman to circus performer, or you get mercilessly crushed against the ceiling, like in every other Sonic game. And we ask why this game was never released.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Sonic Eraser... 2!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

All the Sonic Erasers bulding up to ERAZOR DJIIIIIIIIIIINN.
ImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

SegaSonic Bros. is an arcade puzzle game created by Fukio Mitsuji (of Bubble Bobble fame) for Sega System C2 hardware, and was to be released in 1992. While the game was about 95% done, the game failed its location test in Japan and subsequently did not see a nationwide release, nor the tweaks that would usually be done after the location test.

Traditionally Sega's arcade games are given a test in specific locations before production runs are begun. While hints were dropped about SegaSonic Bros. across 1992, the game failed to generate even cursory interest, and so was quietly removed from service. Not much is known about why the game failed so harshly, but its thought to have likely been a cross between the strange title and the confusing puzzle mechanics.

In early 2016, a working PCB was found by arcade board collector "ShouTime". The game was subsequently dumped and preserved, but kept private for fear it might lessen the chances of obtaining future undumped games (since once a game is dumped, the value of the arcade board itself vanishes almost completely, so those willing to sell their boards as a rule refuse to deal with ROM dumpers).

SegaSonic Bros. was leaked onto the internet in late 2018, with a modified version of MAME being released (due to internal politics it will not be added to MAME's main branch). There is also an unofficial port to the Mega Drive, since most System C2 games share a lot of hardware with the Mega Drive.
Mea

Post by Mea »

So it's like a Go version of Tetris, interesting. I wonder what the algorithm is that checks if there's a complete loop. Can't think of an elegant one of the top of my head. Maybe if you ignored all but one color at a time and checked if any clumps are only touching that color and/or a wall... or something.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Some of this game's tracks actually made it outside of this game.

Some of the board themes were remixed for a Sega game music arrange album that also came with a Sega CD version of Teddy Boy Blues.
Due to this game never being released, the song was associated with Teddy Boy Blues instead.

The other one, well...

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Is this a ripoff of some existing puzzle game?
Making loops of colors seems way too complicated. Is that something you can get good at?
Cleopatra Fortune is pretty similar to it but it came later

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: All The S@nics - 2 - I Could Go Super Sonic...

Post by SAJewers »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Is this a ripoff of some existing puzzle game?
Making loops of colors seems way too complicated. Is that something you can get good at?
http://info.sonicretro.org/SegaSonic_Bros. wrote:If the player knows what he or she is doing, SegaSonic Bros. can be completed in less than three minutes by maxing out the score. The big points come from multiple clean-up bonuses, when more than four rows of blocks are in play. This is easiest to achieve on the easiest difficulty, before the white Sonics come into play.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

Learning that the "Blue Sphere" theme originated in this game is kind of blowing my mind.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

10204307 wrote: 4 years ago Learning that the "Blue Sphere" theme originated in this game is kind of blowing my mind.
No way? No way!
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote:
10204307 wrote: 4 years ago Learning that the "Blue Sphere" theme originated in this game is kind of blowing my mind.
No way? No way!
Update! I made some further research (i.e. I went to the wiki page on Sonic Retro) and the following tracks also originated from SegaSonic Bros.

Chou Kyuukai Miracle Nine is a sports game, namely a baseball game. You may have heard some of the tracks in Sonic Megamix.
Sega Channel is basically a sort of game streaming system for the Mega Drive like the Satellaview (eat shit stadia). The Japanese variant is largely undocumented.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

the concept of Tetris Go (but in a different way than other games that end in the word Go) is blowing my mind.

also, to anyone worried about the ethical standards here: the disclaimer at the front says unauthorized distribution "may constitute a violation of international lows [sic]" so don't worry, you aren't breaking any laws by downloading this game, you're just hitting a new low, even for you.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - CD - ...The Problem's Chronic!

Post by Grounder »

uhh

rao, the rest of the segasonic anthology was released before cd
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The S0nic - CDs - ...The Problem's Tonic

Post by Awoo »

Oh, man, Sonic CD already? Was expecting this later for some reason!

Kind of funny that both versions use the same "Past" music. Makes it kinda nice since it's easily the best in that case nyoro~n

Good job on that special stage! For some reason these always gave me the most trouble. Really feels like they were almost made as some kind of weird proof of concept for a racing game or something but then just recycled into the odd Mode7 special stages that this game has.

I take it that this only has the US soundtrack from now on? I'm so unused to it... JP/PAL ftw

How else are we supposed to listen to "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior", a.k.a. Green Hills Zone's super underrated theme but remixed!
Last edited by Awoo 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow, what are you doing
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

The CD in Sonic CD stands for Clay Dimension.
ImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Alright, Sonic CD! I played this a ton, but never beat it. Not sure how far, maybe 3/4 of the way in.

If you remember, but dad bought 2 bundles containing Sonic games for the PC. When it came to this game, I didn't understand the name of this game "Sonic CD... they are all on CDs, huh?" I never heard of the Sega CD, heck I didn't know anything Sega, period. I think I first heard about Sonic from one of his cartoons.

Speaking of cartoons, when was the first Sonic cartoon? Before or after this game?
I remember the opening animatic looking better on the PC version.

I wonder why more people don't talk about this game in the same breath as the other classic Sonic games (1, 2, 3&K). It was even omitted from the elavator for Sonic Mania's intro (odd since the creators worked on CD's remake). Isn't this considered to be one of the good Sonic games?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder why more people don't talk about this game in the same breath as the other classic Sonic games (1, 2, 3&K). It was even omitted from the elavator for Sonic Mania's intro (odd since the creators worked on CD's remake). Isn't this considered to be one of the good Sonic games?
Many people consider it to be one of, if not *the* best Sonic game ever made. I personally don't think it is.
Sebby19 wrote: Speaking of cartoons, when was the first Sonic cartoon? Before or after this game?
I remember the opening animatic looking better on the PC version.
I think the first proper Sonic cartoon was "The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog", famous for

PINGAS

and many other absolutely nuts old internet memes.

most infamously the PSA on sexual harassment

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

gamers LOVE numbers is why it isn't thought of with the other games

also so wack that at sonic's onset they were developing so many traditional sonic platformers all the time, now we get one every five years :^)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Anyway's, like raocow mentioned, the only way to get the good ending is to get the Good Future in each act. Unlike previous games, there are 2 ways to do this! The first method is like raocow showed, find the enemy spawner machine in the Past, and break it.

However, if you collect all 7 Time Stones, you will automatically get a Good Future, no matter what.
Man, I'm super jealous rao got the first stone already. My younger self had so much trouble popping those UFO's, as they always seemed to 'sidestep' out of the way at the last second. Grr.

So how'd they do this minigame without actual Mode 7?
Eh, Jazz Jackrabbit did it better :P
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Tenlade

Re: All The S0nic - CDs - ...The Problem's Tonic

Post by Tenlade »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Oh, man, Sonic CD already? Was expecting this later for some reason!

Kind of funny that both versions use the same "Past" music. Makes it kinda nice since it's easily the best in that case nyoro~n
If i remember correctly, while the present and future are just loaded CD tracks, the "past" songs are your basic video game music playing off the segacd/genesis itself, which made it a lot harder to replace, soooo they didnt.

also the Intro FMV is really good, and future ports included it in increasing quality and resolution. You could even watch a much better looking version on sonic mega collection, despite the game not making the cut.

here's a 4k remaster someone made, because I cant find a proper cut of the steam port's version.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago uhh

rao, the rest of the segasonic anthology was released before cd
huh, you're right, I messed up the months. Like even in my research note I have them right, but I ordered them wrong in my to-play list. Oops, man, this is embarassing :oops:

I'll still continue with this game, though, yeah, that's a real bad move on my end. Man.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage