(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The S@nics - 2 (8-bit) - Mastering Second Gear

Post by Blivsey »

Okay so on the gamegear version they SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the flashing lights so kudos there. But also the screen is so crunched that you can't see the pipe on the left, so they straight-up removed the opening on that side because it would be rude to have the player suddenly ejected from the left side of the screen for no discernible reason.

This was a creative video game.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Today on All The Sanics: raocow plays a Mario romhack
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
konaa
ultimate poser

Post by konaa »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago

raocow and everyone else's problems with this game is honestly the same problems i have with lion king on the md/snes/win/amiga and why i don't really consider it a good game

crystal egg is a great example of the game gear sonic aesthetics though

Awoo wrote: I do too! I grew up with it for Game Gear, though, so I've had a huge amount of experience with it. It's pretty hard, but it still holds a very special place in my heart next to both Sonic 1 for it and Sonic Chaos.
Had a bunch of other games for it too, but I doubt that raocow will LP any of 'em.
the game gear is kind of a game system i like a lot for whatever reason

it having quite a few rpgs compared to the game boy helps
I have to say, while there's definitely Gameboy classics out there, a lot of Game Gear games seem to hold up more. Gameboy is a good effort, but the screen is just a little TOO limiting in a lot of cases. Gameboy color made up for its shortcomings, but the weird half-generation that it represents made for an awkward sell. I'm sad that the Game Gear didn't do better. Portable gaming wouldn't have spent the 90s in a ghetto.

Perhaps Game Gear's failure was putting a space between Game and the requisite nondescript noun to follow.
konaa
ultimate poser

Post by konaa »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago Okay so on the gamegear version they SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the flashing lights so kudos there. But also the screen is so crunched that you can't see the pipe on the left, so they straight-up removed the opening on that side because it would be rude to have the player suddenly ejected from the left side of the screen for no discernible reason.

This was a creative video game.
because it would be rude to have the player suddenly ejected from the left side of the screen for no discernible reason.
Yeah imagine if this game were rude :roll:
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Man, talk about a fitting title. But if you just told us the game glitched out and the video was perfect, I think I could have believed you. >.>
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I should have posted this earlier regarding Scrambled Egg Zone, but I only remembered that it existed today.
TUUBES.jpg
TUUBES.jpg (16.65 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
Heavy Sigh

Re: All The S@nics - 2 - I Could Go Super Sonic...

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Though many would assume that the creation of Sonic 2 was a done deal with the success of the original, the moment Sonic 1's production wrapped, problems arose that almost killed the sequel before it began, chief among them the near loss of the man responsible for the engine of Sonic 1. Yuji Naka had run into issues with the management of Sega of Japan, in particular the amount of time it had taken to program Sonic 1. Annoyed and weary of dealing with his bosses, Naka quit Sega.

Back in the USA, Mark Cerny, the man responsible for gaming classic Marble Madness, had been hired by Sega to create a new gaming studio for the company, the Sega Technical Institute (STI). The idea behind the studio was to hire talented individuals unseasoned in the industry and teach them, not only with talent already established in the U.S., but also by talent from Japan proven in a far different commercial environment. With advertisements in local newspapers, the resumes flooded in, with such soon to be famous names as Tom Payne, Brenda Ross, and (future-creator of Spyro the Dragon) Craig Stitt becoming employees.

Even during the production of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, Mark Cerny had already secured Director Hirokazu Yasuhara to come out to the United States and work for STI once his job back at Sega of Japan was done. However, when Cerny learned of Yuji Naka's departure from the company, he immediately called up his old buddy, attempting to persuade him to come out to America and become a part of his venture. With the promise of a better salary and more power, Naka took Mark up on the offer.

With such capable indivduals, Mark felt certain Sega would want them working on the next installment of their biggest franchise. Thus, he called up the marketing department with the idea of another Sonic, only to receive the most baffling answer from them: "no, it's much too soon." Worse, while Mark shrugged and began conceptualizing a different game for his team, only two months later marketing called him back in a panic, begging him to immediately begin work on Sonic's sequel, and to do so immediately. Just like that, of a normal 11-month game development cycle, the team had lost two months.

LEVEL FACTS!

Visually speaking, through all three games, Sonic Team always started things off with an island. At the time, Sonic 2's development was based in San Francisco, and south of there was a town called Emerald Hill. The team was doing a location test at a shopping center there when they saw the name on a sign, and since it was a Green Hill-like name, thought 'well, let's use it in the game!'
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

"If Sonic 2 is so good, why isn't there a Sonic 2 2?"

"Ha." I say to you!

HA!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Isn't it possible to gather all 7 Chaos Emeralds in the first Zone?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

... The Problem's Chronic
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

also sonic the hedgehog 2 for the sega mega drive/genesis is not a video game
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I think the developers made the (generally mistaken) assumption that if you were playing as Sonic & Tails together, then you must have had two people playing (since that's sort of the whole point of that option), and thus had an actual person controlling Tails in the bonus stages to help you get rings instead of his default behavior of trying to follow Sonic. So they tried to balance that by setting the ring thresholds for the special stages higher.

Except then they also set Sonic & Tails as the default character selection so anyone who doesn't actively go into the Options menu and change it gets stuck with harder special stages even though they're probably playing alone.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Fun Sonic Facts!

A visually upgraded version of Sonic 2 for the Sega CD 32X was once planned and entered development, but was never officially released. You can check out some documentation of it right here!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Yeah no I was iffy on it when first mentioned but picking acts for this game was definitely the right idea. They seem to go by so quickly that I totally forgot how big they get if you take the time to explore.

Also I love this game.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by DinnerSonic »

Welcome to Emerald Hill, my new OC(Original Czone) totally unrelated to Green Hill.

All The Hill Zones tally:
  • 3 Green Hill Zones
  • 9 Green Hill Zone Acts total
  • 3 versions of the Nakamura GHZ theme
  • 4 (some kinda) Hill Zones
  • 10 (some kinda) Hill Zone Acts total
Even though Green Hill Zone and Emerald Hill Zone share a lot(green grass, blocky orangebrown ground, blue skies, decorative water) it always seems to feel different to me. More open, more bright, more exciting. Maybe it has to do with me playing Sonic 2 a lot more as a kid than Sonic 1?
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Sonic 2 was my first Sonic game, so it'll always be dear to me in that aspect, although i've never finished it. It's funny how, even the genesis and the game were supposed to be mine, i was usually the one stuck playing as Tails when playing with my brothers or friends.
ImageImage
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

DinnerSonic wrote: 4 years ago Even though Green Hill Zone and Emerald Hill Zone share a lot(green grass, blocky orangebrown ground, blue skies, decorative water) it always seems to feel different to me. More open, more bright, more exciting. Maybe it has to do with me playing Sonic 2 a lot more as a kid than Sonic 1?
It's also just very differently aesthetically from Green Hill even with all the traits it shares. The grass layers are far thicker, the terrain, though still geometric, only uses the checkerboard pattern sparingly instead plastering it over Literally Everything, the rocky cliffs have far more details poking out at the screen instead of towards the background, and I'm pretty sure there just far more open air overall.

I feel like it's very much a successor to Green Hills rather than an outright rehash.
Mea

Post by Mea »

It just struck me, but is "Miles Prowler" a pun on moving across large tracts of land?
Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago
This entire story is hilarious to me, why do sonic games always have this sort of shadow of ill omens surrounding them haha.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Mea wrote: 4 years ago It just struck me, but is "Miles Prowler" a pun on moving across large tracts of land?
miles per hour
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago
Mea wrote: 4 years ago It just struck me, but is "Miles Prowler" a pun on moving across large tracts of land?
miles per hour
Yeah, it's "Prower" not "Prowler". Easy mistake to make.
Mea

Post by Mea »

Oh, TIL TIL.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote:... The Problem's Chronic
getting srb2jte and sonic gl flashbacks over here

Leet wrote: Fun Sonic Facts!

A visually upgraded version of Sonic 2 for the Sega CD 32X was once planned and entered development, but was never officially released. You can check out some documentation of it right here!

konaa wrote: I have to say, while there's definitely Gameboy classics out there, a lot of Game Gear games seem to hold up more. Gameboy is a good effort, but the screen is just a little TOO limiting in a lot of cases. Gameboy color made up for its shortcomings, but the weird half-generation that it represents made for an awkward sell. I'm sad that the Game Gear didn't do better. Portable gaming wouldn't have spent the 90s in a ghetto.

Perhaps Game Gear's failure was putting a space between Game and the requisite nondescript noun to follow.
It was also expensive as heck compared to the Game Boy and ate up batteries like a motherfucker.

It was not a cost effective system.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Sœnics - 2 - I Could Go Fast...

Post by Awoo »

I almost never remember using the Game Gear without either the wall or car adapter. Kept us happy on road trips, that's for sure! :rao:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

Sonic 2 is probably my favorite "classic" Sonic game. The soundtrack's incredible, the graphics are really nice, the zone themes are interesting and creative, and for the first time it actually feels like the gameplay is centered around Sonic's momentum, unlike in Sonic 1 where there were a ton of levels where going fast wasn't really an option. I also think the levels in this game are the perfect length, as opposed to the gigantic stages found in Sonic 3.

That being said, it does have some noticeable flaws, and I think the bonus stages are one of them. They're really hard to control, and are full of blind turns that make it impossible to see where the rings are coming in from. And if you're playing as Sonic and Tails and don't have a second player, you have to deal with Tails constantly running into bombs and losing rings.

Tails in general causes a lot of problems if you don't have a second player, because he's capable of interacting with objects in the level when you don't want him to, such as

the moving platform at the beginning of Hill Top Zone

, which led to a frustrating death for me the first time I played that level. He can also damage bosses, which sounds helpful until you realize that during their invincibility frames Sonic just passes right through them, which is horrible in the cases where the boss is over a pit or over lava.

Of course, the game does give you the option to play as only Sonic, but it's tucked away in a menu that you might not even know exists, since the main menu just shows you "1 Player" and "2 Player" until you scroll down.