(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: All The S@nics - 1 (8-Bit) - Bridging The Generation Gap

Post by Grounder »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago
so like i'm not gonna draw my path on how this lead me to what i'm about to say, just say that it did

but was classic sonic retconned into being from a different universe or a different dimension, because uh
No, they're two separate characters.

Generations Classic was Sonic from the past, Mania & Forces Classic was a Sonic from another dimension.

The whole "feels like generations" line was a throwaway self-reference joke.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

In the Game Gear's version of Jungle Zone, fruit such as oranges, pears and apples can be seen in the background throughout the stage. The fruit is absent in the Master System version of Jungle Zone.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

yeah maybe don't have mandatory small platforms with these physics

or rachet scroll like in act 2
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So raocow, will you change your mind if you manage to nab the 4th and 5th emeralds on your own?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I dunno still feels like a big 'if' to me!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

+1 to the Game Gear version, which does NOT have ratchet scrolling!

...but -1 to the Game Gear version for making the pond with the 1up in Act 3 physically inescapable without dying. GOOD DESIGN
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago No, they're two separate characters.

Generations Classic was Sonic from the past, Mania & Forces Classic was a Sonic from another dimension.

... you're gonna have to source that, because that sounds really dumb even for Sonic Team standards and wouldn't match up with the fact that classic Sonic reacts to his modern counterpart and friends like he already knows them
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Arctangent wrote: but was classic sonic retconned into being from a different universe or a different dimension, because uh
just remember blaze being from another dimension or from the future still isn't clear for some reason
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago +1 to the Game Gear version, which does NOT have ratchet scrolling!

...but -1 to the Game Gear version for making the pond with the 1up in Act 3 physically inescapable without dying. GOOD DESIGN
Update on this 1-up: you can safely collect it and escape if you bounce off it without landing on the submerged floor. Not that you'll know that...

Another fun fact: Boss stages give you no mercy frames! Probably because they think you'll die in one hit, forgetting you might have a shield from a previous act. Oops.

Oh, and re:dimension talk... in Sonic Forces, Tails calls Classic "that Sonic from another dimension". That's where the confusion comes from. It's inconsistent with the whole... yknow, 'Generations clearly being about time travel' thing
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

I never took Sonic games to have a consistent lore or canon, and I don't think SEGA does either, even if they might claim some things do.
ImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I highly recommend ignoring "official statements" and just welding the games together in your head as you see fit
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago just remember blaze being from another dimension or from the future still isn't clear for some reason
see that's an entirely different thing:

"dimension" doesn't mean what it's usually used to mean in fiction. when you see something use dimension in that sense, what they actually mean is another universe

but, here's the thing:

classic sonic is a two-dimensional character. he's so two-dimensional that even when brought to the three-dimensional world of modern sonic, his levels are still always just two-dimensional course wrapped around a three-dimensional area

i mean, for as silly as it is as a concept, sonic's world is a video game world. it did start in 2d ( tho often flitting with 3d for special stages ) but one day developed a whole extra dimension as the technology it existed on developed. i doubt sonic actually woke up one day to find that he could not only go left and right and up and down, but also in and out and then proceeded to get his camera lodged inbetween two trees in the foreground, but as far as making a nod towards the older games? it works perfectly fine to call them games that take place in "another dimension" that's just the past before the z-axis was invented
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago
Grounder wrote: 4 years ago No, they're two separate characters.

... you're gonna have to source that, because that sounds really dumb even for Sonic Team standards and wouldn't match up with the fact that classic Sonic reacts to his modern counterpart and friends like he already knows them
Fuck.

Maybe it really was a boneheaded retcon after all.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
warpio

Post by warpio »

Is it just me or is the Game Gear version of this game just... much easier in general? Zoomed in screen or not, I feel like it's easier overall.

Someone mentioned that the bosses are slightly different in GG because there's less screen space for them to move around in. But I also noticed in Jungle Zone that the platforms throughout the level seemed to be closer together I think? I feel like I had a very different experience with this level than raocow did, where I didn't encounter ANY blind jump situations at all and generally didn't have any difficulty getting through the level. Or maybe the level design is not that different, and it might just be that raocow was rushing too much and not taking the time to wait on the logs and scroll the screen down to get a better look at where he's going. I'm not entirely sure...

also I guess I have to admit I'm probably benefiting a lot from the slowdown/lag of the GG version whereas the MS version seems to always be at full speed. yeah actually that might be the main factor causing this difficulty difference now that I think about it :P
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

That ratchet scrolling in Act 2 reminded me of the one area in Contra on the NES, and I always used to hate it so much as a kid.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

the reality is that there are autoscrollers throughout the sonic games, they just aren't so blatant as they were here.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 4 years ago the reality is that there are autoscrollers throughout the sonic games, they just aren't so blatant as they were here.
And they're all awful, every last one :rao:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago And they're all awful, every last one
That should be the subtitle for this series
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I can't believe Ashan was the IGN all along
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

electric boogaloo
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Man, i had to watch this zone in double speed with how unbearably slow being underwater was.
ImageImage
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago I never took Sonic games to have a consistent lore or canon, and I don't think SEGA does either, even if they might claim some things do.
I honestly think the Sonic series' approach to "canon" is a really good one. The Sonic canon is pick-and-choose: whatever serves the game at hand, that's canon now. And when a new game comes out and the last canon element no longer serves the story they want to tell, or the gameplay they want you to experience, they just throw it out. Blaze is now from the future? Sure! Silver appears at Sonic's birthday despite his future never happening? Why not? Switching on a per-game basis between a total fantasy world and one like our own, while still carrying on a larger narrative across games? Not a problem!

The Sonic series is not concerned with consistency, so why should its canon be? I think it actually works really well.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Satnics - 1 (8-Bit) - Bridging The Greatest Generation Gap

Post by Awoo »

The emerald was in a totally different spot on the GG version, wasn't it?

I'll still take Aqua Planet Zone from Sonic 2 for GG over this, despite how much frustration and how hard it was for child me, since that at least had enjoyable gimmicks. Not to mention my favorite boss to beat!
Really looking forward to raocow's frustration with 2. Knowing him though, he'll probably tear through it by accident.

Dang it, raocow, why must you be so good, intentionally or otherwise, at video games? I mean it's not like you do it for a living or anything :'3

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Labyrinth's theme from the GG/MS version is so good. I'd totally listen to a jazz cover of this.

Awoo wrote:

I'll still take Aqua Planet Zone from Sonic 2 for GG over this,

Aqua Lake. Planet is Chaos, and also has one of the best songs. Aqua Lake is also better looking aesthetically

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Labyrinth's theme from the GG/MS version is so good. I'd totally listen to a jazz cover of this.

Awoo wrote:

I'll still take Aqua Planet Zone from Sonic 2 for GG over this,

Aqua Lake. Planet is Chaos, and also has one of the best songs. Aqua Lake is also better looking aesthetically

Thanks! Aqua Lake is a very pretty level. Aqua Planet was a lot of fun, too, but I love nearly everything about Sonic Chaos, despite how hard that one special stage was

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image