(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: All The S@nics - 1 (8-Bit) - Bridging The Generation Gap

Post by Sebby19 »

There were also quite a few games that had NES and SNES versions.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

The 8-bit Sonics are unusual in that they're very different from the 16-bit games that share the same name. You can already see that a bit in the Green Hill video - they're much more linear and Mario-esque because of hardware limitations, and, as we'll see in the future, many of the zones also diverge from the 16-bit version. The 8-bit version of Sonic 2 actually came out a month before the 16-bit version, and has even less similarities, with both titles having completely different zones, as well as different excuse plots stories.

Sonic Gems Collection (which might be more aptly referred to as "Look At This Weird Shit We Made") included 8-bit Sonic 2 as an unlockable game, but much like all of the other 2D Sonic games, I never beat it because I was bad at it. But the first zone is pretty abnormal by Sonic standards so I still clearly remember playing it.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

10204307 wrote: 4 years agoSonic Gems Collection (which might be more aptly referred to as "Look At This Weird Shit We Made") included 8-bit Sonic 2 as an unlockable game, but much like all of the other 2D Sonic games, I never beat it because I was bad at it. But the first zone is pretty abnormal by Sonic standards so I still clearly remember playing it.
There's a reason for that. The first boss was made way harder because of screen crunch on the Game Gear.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
konaa
ultimate poser

Post by konaa »

I kind of like the Master System Sonic games. The level design definitely gets pretty nasty and kinda questionable later on, but it's neat to see the way that they've designed the levels without having the pretext of "fast 2d platforming!". There's a bit less spectacle and it's a bit closer to something like Mario. It's like looking into an alternate universe where Sonic wasn't crushed under the weight of his own attitude.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

South Island is an island on which most of Sonic's 8-bit outings take place. It is located somewhere in the Pacific, however it cannot be located on any map due to the island's habit of drifting aimlessly across the ocean.

In the Game Gear's version of Bridge Zone's boss battle, the island on which Sonic fights Dr Robotnik has been replaced by a two-part bridge which the player cannot fall off of, leaving Dr. Robotnik and his projectiles as the only dangers to worry about.
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by DinnerSonic »

Time for the 8-bit version of the classic speedbump stage, Marble Zone!

... wait, Marble Zone isn't in the 8-bit version, so what's this for? That's right, despite having its own original second Zone, the game data still contains an 8-bit version of the Genesis Marble Zone theme! Meanwhile, I've heard some say they hear parts of Bridge Zone in the theme song for Tails in Sonic Adventure. I guess we can cross that bridge when we get there.
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Falky »

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Also, if I recall correctly, it's been verified in an old interview that the Sonic version did indeed come first. It was an intentional homage. Janet Jackson was apparently a really big Sonic fan at the time.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So yeah, I did play this game in an online emulator I randomly found, when I was a young lad.

I didn't even know this was an official game, I thought it was a fan made one. Didn't even know what an emulator was.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
konaa
ultimate poser

Post by konaa »

I fully believe the Janet Jackson thing (that's really neat) but I'm pretty sure that the familiar melody for me anyway was this one. opening being a very similar melody but they play around with the chords a little.

IMO the autoscroller feels weird because it's antithetical to the idea of "gotta go fast" that's been so firmly associated with sonic's brand. You don't even HAVE control over your speed in an autoscroller stage.
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

DinnerSonic wrote:Time for the 8-bit version of the classic speedbump stage, Marble Zone!
Wow, that was an extremely good song, it's a shame it didn't make it into the actual game but I'm glad it existed somewhere so we can here it!

Also, with regards to HeavySigh's facts, here's another interesting one: In the awesome Sonic the Hedgehog OVA, originally released in 1996, the collective floating landmasses were called South Island. It also featured a destroyed surface (ala Skies of Arcadia, another SEGA title) that looks mysteriously like an Earth city (ala Adventure Time), that was covered in a thick layer of smog.

While I've read that Sonic games were always supposedly taking place on Earth in Japan, and that Mobius was primarily a Western designation, it's fascinating that this was effectively the first real glimpse/indication that Sonic takes place on an Earth of some sort.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Hey, the Bridge Zone theme DOES sound pretty familiar.

Also the soundtrack for this game was made by Yuzo Koshiro of Streets of Rage fame.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

so who's gonna draw raocow's Sonic OC giraffe?
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

Although the Bridge Zone theme is pleasant and catchy enough, it feels weirdly "cute" for a classic Sonic game, since the 16-bit ones generally leaned into a more funky feeling with modern chord progressions, while this one just flat-out uses that good ol' I-V-vi-iii-IV-I-IV-V Pachelbel's Canon chord progression (or more specifically, a common version of that where the chords are inverted so the bass descends diatonically from 1 to 3 and then goes back up for the last two chords before returning to I). It's even more jarring coming directly after Green Hill Zone, where the music is a direct demake of the original tune. I guess it's fitting that this game that doesn't really play like a Sonic game also doesn't really sound like a Sonic game either.

The direct quote of this song in Sonic Adventure 1 is, I think, a pretty great indicator of how the style of music in Sonic changed in his transition to 3D, since it doesn't feel out of place in that game at all.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It's interesting that Janet Jackson wrote a song inspired by Sonic music given that her brother had been hired to compose music for a different Sonic game. Maybe the whole family were fans.
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

As someone with a Game Gear but not a Master System it's kinda weird seeing the 8-bit games with a big screen and the changes done to the handheld port.

Also I very much prefer Sonic 1 8-bit over the 16-bit original. For some reason the 16-bit game never really clicked with me.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

10204307 wrote: 4 years ago The direct quote of this song in Sonic Adventure 1 is, I think, a pretty great indicator of how the style of music in Sonic changed in his transition to 3D, since it doesn't feel out of place in that game at all.
While this isn't exactly wrong, I think there's another detail to consider: image songs in SA1 all vary in style, and Tails never stopped taking the role of the cute kid sidekick. Overall I'm not sure if Bridge Zone would've fit in that game if it was just used as a level theme, but as far as using it for an optimistic character that's significantly younger than the main character, whose music style is buttrock? Yeah, it's actually pretty fitting.
Crow

Post by Crow »

I wouldn't consider tails theme buttrock tbh, it's a very late 90's pop rock sound
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

no no, the main character's music stile is buttrock
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I doubt raocow will do this, but just gonna put it out there that I think it'd be a good idea to end each of the Master System Sonic games (1/2/Chaos) with a one-shot video showing off the Game Gear versions.

Both because I think those are probably the versions that most people in North America would actually be familiar with, and to show off just how bad the zoom-in is compared to the Master System versions (especially for Sonic 2).
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i like how it took until i got unbanned for someone to bring this up outside of youtube comments. y'all are slacking

i was also like one of the first people to track the source of this song's usage in dreams collection (in 4ch and youtube comments iirc)

smh @ y'all fake sonic fans

this isn't the only video game sample janet used either, coincidence or otherwise

more fun scrolling to look forward to in jungle btw

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: I doubt raocow will do this, but just gonna put it out there that I think it'd be a good idea to end each of the Master System Sonic games (1/2/Chaos) with a one-shot video showing off the Game Gear versions.

you forgot blast : )

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow

Post by Crow »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago no no, the main character's music stile is buttrock
I guess that sentence could be read that way too, in which case yes
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i just wish silver got more themes because if 06 is any indication we'd get house/disco-inspired shit which would probably result in some bomb ass future funk or french house
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago i just wish silver got more themes because if 06 is any indication we'd get house/disco-inspired shit which would probably result in some bomb ass future funk or french house
so like i'm not gonna draw my path on how this lead me to what i'm about to say, just say that it did

but was classic sonic retconned into being from a different universe or a different dimension, because uh

the latter might not even be a retcon, because this one of the few circumstances where the fact that those words don't actually mean the same thing might actually matter

'course it could still be a big ol' retcon anyway but this realization is having more of an impact on me than it really probably should