(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The William S. Sessionses - Rad Mobile - Brought To You By Progressive

Post by Ashan »

That ending was kind of unironically disturbing in a way

It reminds me of those drunk/texting + driving PSA TV spots where a bunch of friends are having a good time in a car and suddenly they slam into someone and there's a gorey mess and then it just ends
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The Joseph Hooker - Union Army Major General

Post by Awoo »

Snoo PING AS usual, I see

(robotnik.jpg)
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Stonewall Jacksons - First Manassas

Post by Awoo »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago That ending was kind of unironically disturbing in a way

It reminds me of those drunk/texting + driving PSA TV spots where a bunch of friends are having a good time in a car and suddenly they slam into someone and there's a gorey mess and then it just ends
Could be an Aussie PSA
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Re: All The Sanics - 1 - Dusting Doilies Since 1991

Post by Grounder »

also deliberately going slowly isn't going to disguise how padded out this is gonna be rao
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

god, not green hill zone AGAIN. sonic team, we get it, you love nostalgia, but you don't have to shoehorn it into every single game
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man I'm bummed that people see it as 'padding'. Like I get it but it's genuinely not what I'm trying to do :( I think this is genuinely funny but people just don't believe me.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 4 years agoman I'm bummed that people see it as 'padding'. Like I get it but it's genuinely not what I'm trying to do :( I think this is genuinely funny but people just don't believe me.
I can understand it for Sonic 3 when the stages start getting pretty long. Just a little confusing for the very early days when stages can be beaten in a minute or two is all. It's your show and fine though!

Also, a funny thing about that first special stage.

If you set the controller down, the level will play itself until you're in the spot with the emerald. You do have to play then, but the game really wants you to have that first one!

Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Sanics - 1 - FINALLY LOADED (wait for '06 lol)

Post by Awoo »

For the longest time, until about a decade ago, I honestly didn't know that Sonic 1 was on Genesis. I grew up with Sonic 2, 3 (&Knuckles) on Genesis (or MegaDrive, for those of you whom'st've not landed on the moon), and had Sonic 1 on the Game Gear, my young self figuring that the 8-bit version was the first.

I still prefer the 8-bit Master System/Game Gear version. Jungle Zone the best :3

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago man I'm bummed that people see it as 'padding'. Like I get it but it's genuinely not what I'm trying to do :( I think this is genuinely funny but people just don't believe me.
I don't always agree with what you do, but in this instance you should keep sticking with your gut! This is the Sonic era of raocow now, as long as you want it to be!
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts!

Green Hill Zone is the stage that took the designers the longest to get feeling 'right', and though the zone was conceptualized at the beginning of development, the graphics were heavily reworked five times as production went on. Because of this, the art and level maps for this zone took half a year to produce! At the time, the development team was offered the use of computer-aided drawing programs, but instead worked to perfect the look of Green Hill entirely by hand.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

The theme of the 2-D Sonics was always less about "gotta go fast" and more about carefully going fast.
It's actually pretty rare to be going at full speed outside of first zones and automatic sections.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Oh no! You can jump in Sonic!? What is this witchcraft?

Who has the most?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh my gosh, raocow, that was the best video description you have put out since your Castlevania: Symphony of the Night videos.

Genius and amazing. You better remember to come back to this when you finish all the sonics.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew

Post by DinnerSonic »

Nicely surprised to see the video was longer than 30-ish seconds, and it's nice to see areas I tend to be too lazy to get to on the upper routes! I'll have to get adjusted to not seeing the "hold right to win" mentality as well as not seeing my own preference of "hold down to win" where I roll down all slopes ever, whether it helps me or not.

Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 had soundtracks composed by J-pop bassist/songwriter Masato Nakamura from the band Dreams Come True. Eventually in 2011, an album was released with the various song demos in their original, pre-Genesis form! So, have this Green Hill Zone:

Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Yay! raocow got the goal in the special stage!
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

we only get probably three videos with the most iconic trees in gaming history. breathe it in while you can!
raocow's video description wrote:head-on collusion
cars these days are so conniving. why can't we just have a good race with everyone on equal heading?
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Honestly, just watching this LP feels like a huge commitment I can't make, so I'm going to step out like I did for Megaman. It's hard to dip in and out of following an undertaking this ambitious (I remember checking in on the Megaman thread once and feeling lost), and I don't have any connection to this brand so I'll be missing the nostalgia lifeline.

But before I go I want to voice my appreciation and impressed..ness. This is a crazy project and I'm glad that it exists, not really for my sake but for the sake of the people who'll appreciate it
Last edited by Ditocoaf 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I watched the video and I have no idea what Grounder is talking about because although raocow didn't go fast he also wasn't obviously stalling either. Like it's completely reasonable to actually want to explore the levels instead of just getting to the end in 1.32 femtoseconds.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Fucking around in the levels and trying to find small secrets hidden behind momentum mastery is the best part of Sonic games to me. I do enjoy speed, but "press jump at the exact right moment to get good shit" is what really makes the speed shine for me, and I've also never minded just pure platforming.

I played a lot of the beginning stages of this game at a friend's who actually had a Genesis (I feel like video game consoles were pretty rare in Germany until the SNES era and especially the Game Boy), but it always pissed me off that there's no save feature. And yeah, you can speed through the first level in a minute (not the second, though!), but then you miss out on a lot of rings and therefore 1-Ups you'll need later.

It's not a problem anymore, and so I do enjoy playing Sonic 1 in more modern ports. It's a fine game to fuck around in, with some caveats of course. Mostly, when you're not super used to the controls, it can be really frustrating getting stuck on loops/slopes, jumping off them in weird directions, how long it takes for Sonic to pick up speed, the wonky "combat", and so on. It's really a game that improves massively by getting better at it.
eltiolavara9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arVDPAVX8bE
First name: hi

Post by eltiolavara9 »

man the racer lore is the best game theory i've seen
hi
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 4 years ago Green Hill Zone is the stage that took the designers the longest to get feeling 'right'
I remember hearing somewhere that it was actually the 4th zone to be finished. The first one was Spring Yard.

Fun fact 2: The European manual calls it Green Mountain Zone for the French, Spanish and Italian sections and so does the Portuguese manual.
The stage also used to have a rolling ball type obstacle that you could ride on.
This was probably seen as getting in the way of the speed focused gameplay, so it was cut. The boss later gained it as a weapon of sorts.
It's still available in debug mode, but you can't place it. The later romhack Pana der Hejhog had a similar concept.

Sonic also had the ability of giving a "triumphant jumping punch" type pose at the end of acts.
Tiles of this are still available in the ROM, but unused.
Sonic Mania later used this as part of Sonic's victory pose animation at the end of acts.

As for earlier builds, there was a demo of the game available at the Consumer Electronics Show of Winter 1991. Green Hill Zone was featured with a different level design, front-facing Ballhogs (which would be altered and only used in Scrap Brain Zone) and monitors that cycled between powerup icons. It's likely that the monitors were yet unfinished and this was just a sort of test showcase of what monitors could contain.

Before that, there was a tech demo in the Tokyo Toy Show 1990. However, this demo has been more or less lost to the ether as it has been lost internally at SEGA. There were plans to include it in Sonic Mega Collection as a bonus, but due to the lost status of the build, it never happened. It's a neat peak into what the game was during the Madonna era.
The development process of Sonic the Hedgehog (and a lot of the other games in the series) is incredibly long and fascinating and I can't really fit all of it in this post without mincing words or omitting details, so here's an extremely good page detailing everything about it.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

this probably goes here:
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

This seems like the most appropriate place to drop this information: If anyone wants to experience MAXIMUM OFURDRIVE and watch Roger Craig Smith play an MLP-themed one-shit D&D(-ish?) session, Critical Role has you covered next Friday.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

I definitely enjoy the slower pace, both of your gameplay and of the series in general. Guess most people are just used to 20-/30-minute videos every few days from other LPers' video series, but I kinda like having a leisurely, bite-sized sonc in the mornin'.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
warpio

Post by warpio »

Wow, it's so crazy that the Flicky series spawned such a wildly massive and successful spinoff franchise. Sonic really owes a lot to that little bird.