(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Heavy Sigh

Re: All The Animal Friends - Flicky - A Certain... Ornithological Piece

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Fun Sonic Facts! Flicky was created as the star of her own game, simply titled Flicky, released for Sega's Arcade System 1 in 1984 to compete with the popular Namco arcade game Mappy. The game was initially to be named "Busty", before the US office asked for it to be changed. The second proposed title was "Flippy", until it was discovered being an overseas trademark issue. Then one artist suggested Flicky, and the rest was history.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago
Cyril wrote: 4 years ago revealed that it wasn't the "All the Mega Man" naming gimmick, it was the "All the X" naming gimmick
i mean it's gotta be something you can wring hundred of titles out of, so
funny you should say that
:monstrosity:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

The Genesis version of Flicky was such a huge part of my childhood. I always found it super addicting and now I want to play it again tomorrow.

Also seeing that date pointed out I'm just kind of in a moment of "wow, that originally came out like 11 years before I was born". Like, as a fact I knew this, but as an I've-thought-deeply-about-this... I dunno, I grew up with an NES and Genesis so played basically only games older than me but it's always a neat thought.

Anyway, I'm so excited for this adventure~
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I knew that the levels wrapped infinitely but it wasn't until literally 5 minutes into the video before I figured out that the levels are literally the size of one screen and the left screen of the screen is a straight portal to the right of the screen. I thought they were just kinda repetitive in design.
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

Man, didn't knew that a hedgehog evolves from a bird. Thanks for the history!

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Mea

Post by Mea »

This era of arcade games is a big blind spot in my overall familiarity of video games. And I think they always impress me with the simple but creative vision and design they have. Games like this, Mappy, Bubble Bobble, seem very fun!
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

fun fact: in gunstar super heros for the GBA , one of the stages turns into flicky for one segment and you have to clear it to progress.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Huh, I completely forgot that this was a thing.

Well if we're going that technical might as well throw this in.

Who has the most?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That looked pretty fun. Probably would've enjoyed it like I do Ms. Pac-Man and Donkey Kong had I have played it back in the day.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Gunstar Super Heroes is awesome (I mean, so is Gunstar Heroes, but most people already know that)

Also I feel like I have to do something with the knowledge of Busty and Flippy but I don't know what
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh hey, Flicky! I've played this! The genesis version on PC.

I learned of Sonic through one of his cartoons. Sadly I can barely remember them (this was before kindergarten). Somehow I knew he was a videogame character, like Mario.
Several years later, I guess my dad went out and splurged, because he came home with TWO game boxes for the PC. The 1st was the Sonic 3 collection. The 2nd had three more CD-ROMs:
1) Sonic R (can you feel the sunshine)
2) Sonic CD (my 7 year old mind thought the name needed work)
3) And the 3rd had a collection of more Sega games, including:
-Comix Zone (didn't get past 2nd panel. How do you play brawlers?)
-Sonic 2 (maybe got halfway, no save system sucks)
-Shining Force (1st RPG! Got bored by the end of chapter 3)
-Flicky (didn't beat this, thought it was an endless game. There's 50 levels?!?)
-Kid Chameleon (also didn't beat. Don't know how far, did find a secret path)
-Vectorman 2 (ran out of time on the 3rd level ›D)
-And I think some dumb Pole Position like game?

I still have these CD-ROMs! I wonder if they'll work in today's tech.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

All The Animal Friends - Flicky - A Certain... Ornithological Piece

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Fun fact: Attaching S&K to any other game (except Sonic 1, 2, and 3) would generate a random Blue Sphere level to play. Attaching to Sonic 1 ofcourse gives ALL the levels.
As a child, I had a theory that playing all the randomized Blue Sphere levels would unlock something. The start screen with the level code made me think there just HAD to be something.

Also can't wait for rao to play entirely through Shining Force 2 to play the secret Sonic map.
sonic map.jpg
sonic map.jpg (6.77 KiB) Viewed 3493 times
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

**harsh opinions ahead, reminder that I'm fine if you like these games etc**

Since I think we're starting with actual Sonic tomorrow, I'm gonna put in my prediction while we're still relatively early on in this series, just so I can possibly look like a psychic. I've stated my thoughts on this series before, and to reiterate I think this series as a whole is very overrated and the base elements that makes up these games are inherently contradictions to each other. So much so that I think raocow is gonna get pretty pissed off at these games right from the get go. With the amount of familiarity I inferred raocow has with these games from the thesis video (that is to say, not much), I think he'll be in shock as to how much of an anti-platformer these games are, especially as someone familiar with platformers and plays ones with generally good level design. The stuff he (generally) rightly calls out as unfair/bullshit in romhacks he gets frustrated with are a lot of the time not out of the ordinary in Sonic games.

Anyway, that's my prediction. If I'm wrong, I guess I'll look like a real jerk!
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

I can understand why you'd make a prediction like that, cause those are the very same issues that make me get upset with the 2D Sonic games. Blind jumps, not enough time to react, easy to get lost, and in the case of handheld games.. too small to see obstacles clearly enough. I died to so many pits in the Sonic Advance's I just gave up on those entirely.

That said, I don't think the classic trilogy of Sonic games are as bad as some of them could be (most of the time), but it's been a good decade since I last played a 2D Sonic game so I could just be misremembering.

Regarding today's video, though, Flicky: I had heard of this game, I knew it existed in some capacity and that it was old. Before today, however, I had never actually seen it in action. I think I vaguely recall a Genesis cover at a rental store, maybe, or an ad in a magazine, but that's it. I saw some people expressing surprise that many hadn't heard of this, but outside of compilations I can't imagine most people running into this game. I hadn't even seen it in the arcades at the time and I was often at local pizzerias since my family liked pizza and my aunt worked at one for a while.

I wonder how long raocow's gonna play this, since it's got no continues and dying means starting all over.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Hmm. Replaying the first three games as a teenager, I did distinctly recall the first, at least, being kind of...not great, generally not seeming to know how to integrate the high speed gimmick effectively, and adopting "anything (and I mean anything) can crush you" as a substitute for proper design, but I also recall the next two games being much better about these things, and generally far more enjoyable to play. In any event, it should indeed be interesting to see how time has treated this series.
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Sonic 1 is very bogged down by it's lack of cohesive level design, this is true. The games that come after fix this for the most part.
I think a lot of beginner Sonic players have trouble by simply forgetting to spin. This takes most of the enemy placement problems out of the equation and the game straight out tells you that Sonic is vulnerable when running normally.

Blind jumps are still a thing, though I don't recall many that lead to straight up death.
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So a question for the future: Which version of 3D Blast will be played? I know the game that got ported to Steam is the Genesis version, but the Saturn version is a bit superior to it (better graphics, music, 3D special stages reminiscent of Sonic 2's).

It's a bit strange that the Genesis version is the Steam port, considering there is a Windows 95 port of the Saturn version somewhere in existence
Last edited by thatguyif 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Couple questions regarding this project.

1.) When you say act you mean that 1-1 and 1-2 being seperate acts would be in separate videos? If yes, That's super gross.

2.) When you say you will "only play as sonic." Would that mean in a game like Sonic Adventure you would only play as Sonic? Would you only play Sonic levels in Sonic Adventure 2?

3.) I feel like this is opening an extremely dangerous Pandora's box. What qualifies as criteria for all the Sonics is. 0:40 "Any game that has either Sonic or a Sonic adjacent character's name as a front-liner, on the title."

There was no mention if the Sonic game had to be official or not. You did not specify if the Sonic games played had to be created by, sponsored by, or endorsed by Sega or Sonic Team.
You clarify that you are being as loose and open as possible. Does this mean that Fangames and Bootleg titles are now in the pool?

Should we expect to see Sonic the Hedgehog 4 for the Super Nintendo?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago 2.) When you say you will "only play as sonic." Would that mean in a game like Sonic Adventure you would only play as Sonic? Would you only play Sonic levels in Sonic Adventure 2?
This is answered in the video... (of course he's going to play the full game)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago
Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago 2.) When you say you will "only play as sonic." Would that mean in a game like Sonic Adventure you would only play as Sonic? Would you only play Sonic levels in Sonic Adventure 2?
This is answered in the video... (of course he's going to play the full game)
He said. "Games that have multiple players. I'm only going to be playing as sonic, naturally, cause this is all the sonics, except games where there is meaningful level changes. I will play with all the characters, that's mostly the 3-D games. I believe."

Don't give me the sarcasm ellipses. This LP is already making questionable decisions. I just want clarification.
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

I think it's fairly clear that Sonic Adventure has meaningful level differences.

Hes talking about things like Sonic 3 where you could play as tails (or knuckles or sonic and tails) but it's the same game overall....hes not going to play that game 4 times.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Re: All The Sonics - NOW LOADING...

Post by raekuul »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoFun fact: Attaching S&K to any other game (except Sonic 1, 2, and 3) would generate a random Blue Sphere level to play. Attaching to Sonic 1 ofcourse gives ALL the levels.
Fun clarification:
Sonic 2 & Knuckles is a legit actual game
Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the known and intended use for & Knuckles
Sonic 1 & Knuckles gives you the Blue Sphere minigame with a whole mess of levels to play through, but you need to press A+B+C at the "No Way! No Way! No Way! No Way?" screen to activate it. This was a compromise for not being able to play as Knuckles in Sonic 1 (ostensibly due to they couldn't solve the palette issues - keep in mind that while we know that there is a solution today, they may not have had enough time/budget to do it back then in a way that worked)

Any other game & Knuckles gives you a random Blue Sphere level to play
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago So a question for the future: Which version of 3D Blast will be played? I know the game that got ported to Steam is the Genesis version, but the Saturn version is a bit superior to it (better graphics, music, 3D special stages reminiscent of Sonic 2's).

It's a bit strange that the Genesis version is the Steam port, considering there is a Windows 95 port of the Saturn version somewhere in existence
As he stated before(if it wasn't here it was in the patapon spotzone), the version that came out first, ie the genesis version
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

just dropping by to say that if you're expecting mario rules from sonic you're pretty much setting yourself up for disappointment
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I thought it having to be an officially developed or licences game by sega was a given, but if it's not clear I'll say it here upfront: it has to be an official game of some kind. Otherwise this could go on forever.

Games where changing the character changes the level or gameplay in a *significant* way get multiple playthrough. Would I play Sonic 3 with Tails only? No. Would I play it with Knuckles only? Yes. Because there are significant differences.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage