(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: All The Sonics - LOCKED AND LOADED

Post by Awoo »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Truly the only solution for Sonic CD is to play it without any sound.
Now, does anyone know if there were any official web browser flash games? I feel like there must've been.
I, for one, am very much looking forward to raocow's playthrough of Sonic Adventure 7
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: All The Sonics - NOW LOADING...

Post by Ashan »

I was hoping in each cycle of the video demos that eventually Sonic wouldn't completely whiff on that bonus game but lest Sonic never learned his lesson

This sequel to Groundhog's Day sucks
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

I'm so hype after watching tonight's explanation. The only real bummer is that it'll take so long to get to Mania, which is right up at the top of best 2D Sonic games imo.
raocow wrote: 4 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Since people are confused, I'm almost certain that the game raocow will be playing first is

Flicky

, unless I have a knowledge gap
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

aterraformer wrote: 4 years ago
hardcore_crispy wrote: 4 years ago For as good as most of the early games are, I'm excited to see the suffering that is the ring chain in Chaotix.
At least it has great music
To be fair, you can count the Sonic games with bad music on one hand.
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if there will be a non-Sonic game that will be included, like was done with Mighty No. 9. If so, my guess is Freedom Planet.
Freedom Planet isn't nearly as important to Sonic's history as Mighty No. 9 is to Mega Man's.

Not that I'm opposed to raocow playing Freedom Planet, but it's more of a B-side game (as well as another couple games I hope he gets to eventually: Sonic: Before the Sequel and Sonic: After the Sequel.)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i'd love to see raocow play some of the genesis-style indies like freedom planet and spark the electric jester but yeah they absolutely don't belong here
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: All The Sonics - Buffering

Post by Awoo »

raocow is going to play Tails' Sky Patrol?
(Is there a full list? I'm not a Patapon. Plz no bully)
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

When I said before that I was hype for Sonic's Schoolhouse, I was joking--I didn't think there was any chance it would actually get played. But hearing how loose the definition is in the thesis....I'm no longer joking. I'm officially hype for Sonic's Schoolhouse.
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Matt is me wrote: 4 years ago When I said before that I was hype for Sonic's Schoolhouse, I was joking--I didn't think there was any chance it would actually get played. But hearing how loose the definition is in the thesis....I'm no longer joking. I'm officially hype for Sonic's Schoolhouse.
We're in a good timeline.
good future raocow.jpg
good future raocow.jpg (546.74 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
raocow wrote: 4 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I just thought of something,

will the chao garden visits (i'm thinking in 2 especially where they're positioned as "levels" in the sequence instead of just areas you can visit) count as their own act. spoilered because i want raocow to have to confront this on his own organically in like 2 years

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I was hoping in each cycle of the video demos that eventually Sonic wouldn't completely whiff on that bonus game but lest Sonic never learned his lesson

This sequel to Groundhog's Day sucks
Hedgehog Day
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I feel like stating aloud:

The problem with the fanbase that made the franchise a redheaded stepchild was not so much the already-mentioned [redacted], but teenagers who basically used Sonic and its anthropomorphic settings as a creative outlet for their hormonal instabilities/insecurities and their social isolation because they were nerds and/or socially inept/awkward.

Fuck I hate run-ons
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I do wonder how the Sonic fandom would've turned out if the modern games had been, well, mostly good instead of mostly bad.
Nast

Post by Nast »

I'm excited but also extremely nervous.

Question for raocow, how will you handle game-overs in the classic games? Will you replay the whole game to that point or use the level select cheat? This is assuming game-overs even happen of course. The games are not very hard and you have access to continues.

Also will you be trying to get the Chaos Emeralds?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Really, the only major thing I'm concerned about is the Sonic 3 vs Sonic 3 & Knuckles disparity. Without Big Arms and its amazing theme, it's not really the complete Sonic 3 experience... but a Sonic 3 that doesn't continue to Mushroom Hill Zone also doesn't feel right.

Also, Sonic Generations 3DS has very different stages to Sonic Generations and has the Best Rendition of the Big Arms boss fight theme ever created. Like, seriously, listen to this - it's massively varied across the whole first four minutes despite being based on a simple Genesis loop.

HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

After almost a year of semi-lurking, and intermittent 9 years of watching, I've finally decided to hesitantly make an account. Wish I could've been here all along for AtMM, but at least I'm here for Sonic. Did have a couple thoughts to touch upon, though.

1) I realize that it's probably like 3-4 years off, but how exactly is raocow going to even get Sonic '06 up and running? Insofar as I know there's no solid emulation for it and the game itself is a buggery mess.

2) Given what he said in the Project Thesis, I'm assuming he's sticking primarily to Sonic playthroughs. This will probably mean not getting to see his reaction to the story segments of Team Dark/Chaotix/Rose in Sonic Heroes, which is a shame, but their routes DO play almost identically.

As an aside, I don't think the fanbase became what it was due to the "modern games being mostly bad". Even before the franchise started going in a million directions it was fractured and divided as soon as Sonic Adventure came out. The real problem with the fanbase is that.. much like the series itself, it's going in too many directions. You have the 2D camp, the 3D camp, the "Sonic is best alone" camp, the "Sonic needs friends" camp, the "okay but only Tails and maybe Knuckles" camp, the "Sonic needs to be the right shade of blue" camp, the "Sonic '06 was actually good" camp, and this goes on forever. I've seen a lot of different fandoms and Sonic's is about as shattered as they come.

At the end of the day, we're just going to have to accept that some people can't handle certain things regarding Sonic, and that there's as many variations on those opinion as there are grains of sand on Emerald Coast beach. Along the lines of what I said after raocow finished MM11, though:

A bad game shouldn't destroy the love you have for a character or series, the good ones don't magically cease to exist. Someone might dislike your favourite game, or you may not care for someone's favourite sidekick, and that's okay, too.

I just want this to be as fun and insightful as All the Megamen, honestly. Sonic is an important franchise, not just historically, but for all the twists and turns it's had, and for the lasting impression he's left on so many people. For better or worse.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago Since people are confused, I'm almost certain that the game raocow will be playing first is

Flicky

, unless I have a knowledge gap
You should be correct. Pretty sure he confirmed in the patappon spotzone months ago that would be game #1.

Also, note that discussion on AtS has happened for months now in the patapon spotzone (maybe even a year), so any questions may have already been answered, or discussion already been had.

(If you're not a patron, seriously consider joining. you only need a minimum of $1.)
Cyril wrote: 4 years ago i'd love to see raocow play some of the genesis-style indies like freedom planet and spark the electric jester but yeah they absolutely don't belong here
Apparently I have it marked down in my list that he stated in the Discord that he would "play it eventually" re: freedom planet
Awoo wrote: 4 years ago raocow is going to play Tails' Sky Patrol?
(Is there a full list? I'm not a Patapon. Plz no bully)
raocow has yet to post an official list anywhere, but there is an unofficial list of sorts made by patapons that I believe raocow used as a basis for his definitive list, and that was on there.

In fact, per that list, Sonic 1 is the third game he'll get to.

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm going to delay on making the official list public, like I did atmm, for the sake of keeping some of the surprise of what exactly 'all the sonics' entails.

But yeah even the patapon list at this point is lacking some games.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Hmm, honestly... I have to agree with many people who say that 1 act per video is a bit too harsh. This means that an already incredbly long series is going to be even longer, maybe double as long. I think as far as the classic 2D Sonic games goes 1 Zone is one cohesive unit so to speak. It's always been like that for me as a kid. I would - truth be spoken - play 1 Zone per video for these classic Sonic games. For example for Sonic 1 that would mean 6 videos instead of 18 videos but each video wouldn't be longer than 10 minutes minus Scrap Brain Zone possibly.

As for the modern 3D Sonic games I agree with 1 act per video though as they are longer and more complex.

This is going to be a very, very long video. Maybe you could share the list of Sonic games you plan to play like you did with Megaman as it keeps giving us an impression of how far progress is. I honestly wonder how many years it will take for you to complete all the Sonics. Probably something like 4 years and way over 1000 videos.

While I love Sonic I kind of wish you would have done another "All the..." first - my hope was All the Castlevanias since most "All the..." projects would have been a lot shorter than Sonic (with the exception for Mario). (That's a list of all the CV games and as you can see that's not too many, though some of them are long games, especially all the Metroidvania games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Castlevania_media; also I'd count the Bloodstained games to that as well). Oh well... still looking forward to it and hoping for a Castlevania project once you're done with Sonic. But in all seriousness: How many years do you think will raocow need for all the Sonics?

Will raocow play each and every Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games or just one of them since they're not all that much different?
Also will these rather obscure games be like one video per obscure game or will you play through them?

EDIT: Oh so much for the list for now. :P raocow wrote the post while I was writing mine. Okay then, fair enough.
Last edited by Slit08 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean the fact that it'll take a long while and has a ton of games is kind of the point. Megaman and sonic are second and third in terms of 'ip with the most games', behind only mario. that's part of the reason why I chose to do this.

a lot of the weirder, doesn't go anywhere games will have a one-shot video in the style of the 'postgame' of atmm. Which games I decide are worth a full playthrough vs only a one-shot is up to me making arbitrary decisions.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Yeah, I thought that. I think that Sonic is probably nr 2 and Megaman nr 3 in terms of numbers of games.

Hmm looking at that list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... ideo_games

Will you play through each Olympic game like the London and Rio and whatever else Olympic game there is? It seems like Sega and Nintendo decided to make one for each real Olympic event... there's even a Winter sports game. :D Man, Sonic has a lot of sports games.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

HiroshiMishima wrote: 4 years agoAs an aside, I don't think the fanbase became what it was due to the "modern games being mostly bad".
I don't either, but what I'm thinking is, if the modern Sonics were mostly good then the fanbase would be wider so a lot of the weirdness/prissiness would be diluted. Like I'm sure Mario has a lot of weirdo fans too but you don't hear about them because his games are mostly good and mostly don't make weird tonal decisions.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

It doesn't help that Sonic also has multiple wildly different comics (original manga; Archie's long-running series and spinoffs and reboots [aside: Fuck Ken Penders]; IDW's recent material; Fleetway's surprisingly 2000AD-influenced British comics) and wildly different cartoons (Adventures, SatAM, Underground, OVA, X, Boom) all with their own canons and fandoms. Sonic has become one of the most fragmented IPs in the history thereof - Sega lacks almost any sort of control over the identity of Sonic and his companions. Trying to reconcile the first set of cartoons and comics, and the disparities between the Western Sonic(s) and the Japanese Sonic was what led to the schism that is Sonic Adventure. Add in the trend-chasing of the "realistic" and urban elements of SA2, Shadow and '06, it's easy to see just how far removed the games got from the fans' interpretations of them, and those interpretations spiraled out of control onto the nascent social internet. Add in the quality dips and dives, but retain the high-profile stature and presence in popular culture that Mega Man largely lost, and the end result is... well, what we know and what we're going to be re-experiencing over the coming years with this mad project.
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

@Mata Hari : I've certainly seen a fair amount of criticism towards Mario games over the last 20 years or so, especially with stuff like Sunshine, Galaxy, and NSMB2+ the billions of spin-offs *that* one got.. but I think people afford a lot more leniency towards Mario for a couple of reasons. The chief among them is that for at least two generations of gamers Mario is THE video game mascot. I think another is the sheer quantity of Mario games to choose from, whereas Sonic games typically come out every so often. People like me who were really let down by Sticker Star could always try returning to the Mario & Luigi games, even though they're quite different. If you didn't like Sonic Unleashed, you just had to wait and hope for better next time.

@Bob : This is one of the huge factors I was alluding do when I mentioned the fractured fanbase. As a kid, I had a vague notion that there was an Archie comic but I never knew how crazily out of control that had gone until many years later. I don't think it would ever be possible for SEGA to really appease the fanbase as a whole when you have that many incarnations of Sonic out there. While I didn't play the games all that much due to not having a Genesis of my own, I watched the hell out of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and SatAM. Jaleel White was THE voice of Sonic to me and it always felt like a missed opportunity when he didn't come back for Generations.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago I mean the fact that it'll take a long while and has a ton of games is kind of the point. Megaman and sonic are second and third in terms of 'ip with the most games', behind only mario. that's part of the reason why I chose to do this.

a lot of the weirder, doesn't go anywhere games will have a one-shot video in the style of the 'postgame' of atmm. Which games I decide are worth a full playthrough vs only a one-shot is up to me making arbitrary decisions.
There's long LPs and dragging LPs out for the sake of a joke, IMO. It's not going to be so funny when it's been three months and we've barely finished both Sonic 2s.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage