(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Re: JUMP (⁰⋅⁸√16)/(¹⋅⁵√(8^3)) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Peliptia »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago I don't know if this is actually the case here but typically coordinates on the SNES wrap around when they go over their max value so that's probably the case here. Layer 2 just constantly moves down at a constant speed so when it reaches the minimum value it overflows back to the max value.
ahh☆ that makes sense, thanks(^▽^) ♡ i wonder if any weird stuff happens if you enter the pipe as it exits the playable area
ImageImage
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Peliptia wrote: 4 years ago EDITS⋮ also what do the movies look like⁈ do they like play themselves— or something⁇ that would be cool to see❤
They're basically just demos like you'd see in a lot of games in the NES-SNES era when you sit on their title screen for a while, except they're obviously routed for the sake of showing a puzzle solution rather than just to act as an attract mode.

also man you must have a mastery of unicode or some extreme patience or something to post like that constantly
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago They're basically just demos like you'd see in a lot of games in the NES-SNES era when you sit on their title screen for a while, except they're obviously routed for the sake of showing a puzzle solution rather than just to act as an attract mode.

also man you must have a mastery of unicode or some extreme patience or something to post like that constantly
woahthats amazing (^▽^) that means that theyre like somehow recorded their movements or somethings and adding it to the hack‼ thats incredible⚟

hahahnah ive not memorised anything like that⚊just got a keyboard installed for that and such

ImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP (22/7) - A jump less halved is still a halved jump

Post by Awoo »

Peliptia wrote: 4 years ago woahthats amazing (^▽^) that means that theyre like somehow recorded their movements or somethings and adding it to the hack‼ thats incredible⚟

hahahnah ive not memorised anything like that⚊just got a keyboard installed for that and such

Peliptia for Biggest Keyboard Enthusiast 2019
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

raocow you really should feel free to use the powerups because you earned them within the game via significant expenditures of effort. They are also fun to watch.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

The custom tools are all a big part of the fun, if you ask me.
Rockythetigre

Re: JUMP (3!+3!)/(4!) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Rockythetigre »

you're gonna need them in the most difficult of levels
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

The only true way to play JUMP 1/2 is with all upgrades disabled and all switches turned off

(except for the 4 exits that require switches)

Also the beginning screen of B R Y breaking recording software/emulator resolution was due to the usage of pseudo-hires mode or something to have the foreground be translucent like in Kirby's Dream Land 3 (I think xfix would be able to explain this better)
Rockythetigre

Post by Rockythetigre »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 4 years ago The only true way to play JUMP 1/2 is with all upgrades disabled and all switches turned off
and invisible
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

So regarding the use of the rosary storehouse item, we actually intended for players to discover it before finishing world 7. So it's totally reasonable to use it in both works 7 and 8, if you so desire of course. Just like the gauntlet was useful in THROW, the rosary is useful in a few particular levels in these worlds.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

gbreeze wrote: 4 years ago So regarding the use of the rosary storehouse item, we actually intended for players to discover it before finishing world 7.
I mean that's why I really don't understand why anyone would take issue with it: if you didn't want players using it before they finish world 7, you... wouldn't have let them access it before world 7.

Fortunately for me most people seem to feel the way I do
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

It's also worth noting that since getting the rosary, he's only had two chances to use it and he failed to take the first one because he didn't grasp what was going on in time.

The vast majority of his deaths are in situations where it wouldn't have helped, so it doesn't seem that overpowered to me. Though I guess that depends heavily on the specifics of the levels - but overall this hack seems based on platforming and puzzles as obstacles more than "here's a bunch of enemies, don't get hit too many times".
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

abyway all that aside was running along the top of those switches really the intended solution in that first level because man that is not telegraphed at all
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Demo got The Power of Christ.

Also, it's nice raocow is now playing GMMP - Genetically Modified Mario Party.
ImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Mata Hari wrote: 4 years ago abyway all that aside was running along the top of those switches really the intended solution in that first level because man that is not telegraphed at all
Basically because the skull raft is inside the red switches, they're always hitting them thus allowing you to not hit the yellow switches as you run on them. In the video it looks bizarre but it wasn't hard to figure out when I played the level.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago
Mata Hari wrote: 4 years ago abyway all that aside was running along the top of those switches really the intended solution in that first level because man that is not telegraphed at all
Basically because the skull raft is inside the red switches, they're always hitting them thus allowing you to not hit the yellow switches as you run on them. In the video it looks bizarre but it wasn't hard to figure out when I played the level.
i'm not gonna lie that's some vip quality

though they'd probably do this with vanilla assets, custom assets would just be naturally janky

さすがっ・・・改造マリオの進化だっ・・・・・!!
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Man this beech is overrun with oil pools, lava monsters, and man-eating fish. I know Bowser like it hardcore but DANG!
Implo

Post by Implo »

It's weird that raocow had so much trouble with 4th dragon coin in first level. I did it simply by holding the vine. No idea why it didn't work for raocow.
Koopster
judge of u

Re: JUMP log₉3 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Koopster »

hey, I've been keeping up with the series silently because of course I am, given jump1/2 is the successful hacking project I invested myself the most on!

all my contributions have been shown already, unless you want to count the most mediocre overworld events which were a labor of mine to place. I suppose I can provide some dev commentary on the two levels I ended up making.

the forest has dangerous creatures:
This is actually my third strike on a level for world 8 - the other two having been completed but rejected for being a tad too annoying, but they're stories for another day -, however a while after I finished it, the level that used to be in that spot in the forest was cut from the project, my level was moved there and a new level was made for the little forest in space. I got to be a big dot, so it's all good.

Working with the snakes and notably the spawners in the second half is kind of hell because if one block ends up not despawning properly it can keep going offscreen and eventually crash the game. And even worse, cause a lot of cutoff :kood: one of the main workarounds for that stuff not to happen was to add in smb1 scrolling. I think it worked quite nicely with the gimmick and that second half was some of the most fun I ever had designing a level!

There's two very obscure secrets in this level raocow missed. The first one is a pipe before the final gap in the first half that can be entered, which takes to a room with a fake secret exit and 3 1-ups.
The second one is the moon in the goal room. The smb1 scrolling code is quite buggy, and when you spawn in the level, you can actually move left if you go back and forth around the center of the camera. That effect is gone after you move right a fair bit. Getting blasted off into the second half's sublevel is actually another workaround for that not to happen, but due to the secondary exit after the shell jump room, I needed to have the asm fixed after all (which morsel did for me). I decided to keep the buggy code in the goal room and placed a moon if you somehow figure out the glitch and go move as far left as you can. (sometimes there can be visual glitches)
Hops of Wealth:
I submitted this level very early in production, way before I actually got involved with the project (when map designing started). It wasn't changed a whoole lot since then, surprisingly.
I actually didn't make it for jump1/2. I made this level and 2 others iirc for a personal project of mine in which I wanted to rush make 5 levels and submit a mini-hack for c3 (smwc's 3-day event) during c3 itself. It didn't work, and I ended up with a level that has too many sprites for non-sa-1, a level I really did not like, and Hops of Wealth. I liked HoW enough, it felt a little janky and jump1/2 had just began, so it felt like the perfect contribution.
I think it's a little flawed, but it's generally okay.
I don't think there's a lot to comment on my storehouse. I didn't expect the puzzle to be so difficult to figure out though, lol

As far as maps go, I'm responsible for roughly the right half of the main map (I apologise forever Lazy for leaving you so little space for world 4!!!), the cave map, the forest map, and w8 sans graphics. Basically, the least impressive and ambitious contents are by me :) I made the events too, as mentioned previously,

with one exception which is to be seen very soon

Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

As neat as the oil level was, I thought the music was going to be the Sonic Adventure Meteor Herd song, and i'm afraid that i'm disappointed it wasn't :gravytea:
ImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Koopster wrote: 4 years ago hey, I've been keeping up with the series silently because of course I am, given jump1/2 is the successful hacking project I invested myself the most on!
i missed u bitch

edit: dire dire diet should have had a secret exit where the water is drained out a la brutal mario
edit 2: i want to say the boss bass in idol's stage is by sonikku which as i understand, tries to recreate the smb3 boss bass instead of just having the hitbox be the mouth and have you insta-die by touching it
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I have never been mkre excited to seecthe next episode of Jumphalf than I am now.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I think Dire Dire Diet being completable without water physics without actually asking you to do so is a nice touch because it sells the idea that it is actually a normal non-water level and Mario can just accidentally fly because of his diet.
Sixcorby
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Sixcorby »

edit: spoilers below!!!!!!!

Last edited by Sixcorby 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

^^^ Warning for severe map spoilers, but otherwise, thanks!

Looks like a cape was mandatory in some parts, so it's not 100% a normal level if you take the water out, but still impressive!