(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: JUMP arg(1+(√(-1)))*(2/π) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Grounder »

so, uh

is flying space castle the last level?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago so, uh

is flying space castle the last level?

N o

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I believe that WE LOVE PIRANHA is based off this classic of worldpeace's: C|C Gonzo

Also, it's fascinating to see how much miraclewater's design has developed in 3 years. Perturbing Paste was one of the older ones, and One Step Forward was recent.
Mosts Awards:
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

HiroshiMishima wrote: 4 years ago I don't care how good you are or claim to be, if people are struggling with your level that IS in part on you as a developer. Especially in a game that's supposed to be more approachable. Considering the hell-nature of so many Mario hacks, which is the very reason many avoid them, this statement is expected to carry a fair amount of weight.

Not everyone is as good as you. This is a hard lesson that absolutely everyone, be they players or developers, needs to understand. If your response is "git gud" or "that's not my fault" or even "then don't play it", you have failed. I'm out of this discussion. I'm just tired of seeing people squabble like little kids because someone had the audacity to say "I didn't like Y."

The whole reason any of us are here is because we love raocow and his videos, or at least that was the impression I was given. We're watching a funny man play games featuring a fat plumber and a horse. Or a frog. Or a gerbil.
I disagree. JUMP 1/2 wasn't supposed to be accessible to literally everyone on the planet, it is meant for players who have beat Super Mario World fully and want more. The game is more approachable than JUMP, which is pretty much evil in endgame, but that doesn't mean it won't be challenging.

Here is a thing, many video games are designed to be accessible to pretty much everyone. It makes business sense to do so, the more people are able to play the game, the more people are going to purchase it, and the developer gets more money. Of course, there are some games that targeted a smaller audience like Super Mario Bros. 2J or La-Mulana, but they are relatively rare. That said, many players pretty much loved La-Mulana, and this game is very much ridiculous. Should have NIGORO made the game easier to make it more accessible while losing the insane puzzles that made the game what it is to begin with? I would argue the answer is no.

However, the JUMP Team isn't a business, the game is free, revenue isn't a design consideration. We wanted to make a challenging Super Mario World ROM hack, and we did it. Not everyone is going to like the result, but that's fine. There are other games, even other SMW hacks if you want something else. SMW Central does have a difficulty selector, if you want something easy, you can find plenty of ROM hacks. Keep in mind that JUMP 1/2 is marked as hard (and for comparison purposes, the first JUMP is marked as very hard).
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I'd rather we didn't scare away someone who just registered 2 weeks ago by repeatedly dragging them into bullshit discourse.

Like can we please leave this in the past and stop with the bickering?
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Leet

Post by Leet »

I'm a bit confused at what response could exist other than "then don't play it". Okay, the game is too hard for you. Now what? I mean, I'm sure there's valuable feedback that exists related to balance/difficulty/etc. but if you have the attitude of "I should be able to beat every video game", and go out into the world of actually diverse game design (romhacks, masochist games, experimental games, esoteric games, deliberately unfun games) you're going to encounter a whole lot of things in which your only recourse is just to not play them. Or use savestates/etc. which is a valid thing to do if you feel it's your only appealing choice for exploring a game
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Implo

Post by Implo »

For the creators of this hack:

I beat this hack and I must say that I enjoyed it for the most part. But what I didn't like are yours comments. They are really rude and intolerant. I mean, saying that this hack is great is OK, but making shit out of every people that had problems with some parts or levels within this hack, is a really, really bad strategy. You are scaring people away of this hack. If I wouldn't beat this hack, then after reading these comments, I would immediately stop playing it.

There is a reason why creators never answer that way on their forums. Because these kind of answers leave bad taste in the mouth and players abandon these games. Instead they are trying to be helpful and make polite comments. And that's a good strategy.

Also I don't find it a good excuse that this is a hack and not a game. Nobody paid you for making this hack, but it doesn't mean you can go all wild and take every problem as a personal insult on your person. Take some distance out of this situation and relax.

"You aren't good enough, so stop playing it" - that's another really rude comment. Look, just because I have problem with some parts of this hack, doesn't mean that I have no chance with the rest of the hack. Stop scaling my ability to play video games, alright? I want "giving up on this game" decision to be made by me, the player. Not by you, the creator.

So, creators. For the sake of JUMPHALF, please, stop it. You are hurting this hack more than anything else.

Please. Stop doing it.
Leet

Post by Leet »

I am convinced that some of you are reading an alternate universe version of this thread from me.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Alright it's almost video time. Play nicely now.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

gbreeze got the idea; then we combined our creative efforts (and scrapped a lot of rooms) to make that giant puzzle level.

Here's one of the scrapped puzzles, made by gbreeze, that used the item swap glitch. Don't ask me how it works!
Attachments
eggtoss.gif
eggtoss.gif (499.86 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Mosts Awards:
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

How does this work?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Why was that scrapped that's fucking hilarious

Also both of today's levels were quite good and the Astro Man port was very impressive
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

It was frame perfect and used a very obscure glitch; it looks cool when executed properly though. Maybe we should have used it for a super-moon reward...
Mosts Awards:
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

How dare you all let functionality get in the way of comedy :shakefist:
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

pretty sure you can see the solution by watching the video, but just in case: blue is what raocow was doing, red is the solution to the puzzle
this is getting laundromatic
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

ootl; what caused raocow to have 8 lives in the beginning of this video
Edit: i figured it out. After bowser's he had to restart from a hard save at 25 lives and they just slowly fell off
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

"Right! At! The! Ennnnd!"

...Did I do it right?

Anyhow, neat puzzle level day today. They're neat and honestly breathers compared to a lot of the harder stuff.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

When the falling Yoshi pulled the goomba up it reminded me of when you have eaten the key and it eats sprites at the keyhole.

Also thanks everyone who has been posting screenshots and gifs in this thread, they have been informative and funny alike.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i dont get the name edinburgh
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

A puzzle level with mini-Marios, three colored switches, and a nighttime city aesthetic???

...man, rao should really play Mario vs. Donkey Kong someday.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
AWMonopolyMan

Post by AWMonopolyMan »

To give raocow his answer just in case he didn’t or doesn’t read the YouTube comments too often, Maw of the Beast is the meetup for the 2 paths. If he read that before or something, my goof. n~yoron
Implo

Re: JUMP Res((e^z)/(z^3)) z=0 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Implo »

These were 2 really good and enjoyable levels. I didn't have too much problem with solving them, even the moon puzzle.
polaris

Post by polaris »

Looks like the moon at the end of the second level isn't bringing a block with you through the pipe, but just doing what raocow was doing when he died (not despawning the Mario and quickly going to the pipe before he hits the blue switch). If only he hadn't died then :(
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Yeah no the fish puzzle stumped me just as much as it did raocow. Wow did I ever adore both of these levels though oh my gosh.