(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Re: JUMP median(1/4,3,0/1,2/0.5,3/4,-1/2) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by HiroshiMishima »

Anyone remember the episode of the Classic PowerPull Girls show, where .. think it was Buttercup.. got swapped with the Professor and realized their hands work differently? I think that's kinda how demo's feet work. Us: we gotta curl our hands/squish our feet. Demo: just touch and go.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Tbis seems like a better realized version of Keep A Positive Altitude. Both becaise of the better P-balloon controls, and becaise the former level had that weird yoshi section I didn't cate for at all. This one also has a weird Yoshi section, but...I dunno. I think it's because this level's shorter too, Positive Altitude felt like a marathon.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

raocow to that baby yoshi at the end of the stage
Attachments
babyyoshibyebye.png
babyyoshibyebye.png (157.76 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
ImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I got behind a bunch and still haven't watched today's level but did anyone ever explain this in the Boiler Room of Bowser's Castle? It looks Dragon Coin-y but it doesn't appear this level has the You Got All The Coins icon on the overworld map.
Attachments
BoilerRoomDragonCoin.png
BoilerRoomDragonCoin.png (352.7 KiB) Viewed 4038 times
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago I got behind a bunch and still haven't watched today's level but did anyone ever explain this in the Boiler Room of Bowser's Castle? It looks Dragon Coin-y but it doesn't appear this level has the You Got All The Coins icon on the overworld map.
Looks like a Moon. Image
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Oh, huh, yeah, that could be it.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years agoOh, huh, yeah, that could be it.

It definitely is a moon. I thought it was a dragon coin at first myself when I caught sight of it in raocow's video myself.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: JUMP ϕ(14)/ϕ(13) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Crow »

re today's level: well the idea is neat and the first half at least looked kinda fun? i dunno i am really fed up with the JUMP puzzle rooms tbh they are super boring to watch
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

The puzzle was easily my favorite part of the whole level but I suppose it's less interesting to just watch than solve. ^^;

The first half was great, the second half was just plain frustrating with too many mess-up-and-die-and-start-all-over points despite the abundance of reset doors. I did not like it.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I almost feel like I should just copy and paste FourteenthOrder's post, because my thoughts are very similar, except that I didn't have too much trouble with the second half. Though after watching raocow I agree that the second half seems like it can be overly punishing. One thing that sticks out to me is that for the most part there's plenty of reset doors, but after that rising platform near the end they suddenly become extremely sparse; if you mess up there in any way other than despawning the platform you're probably dead. Also, I found it amusing that raocow picked the same pipe that I did at the end of the level.

YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

As a general idea, I liked today's stage (I actually played it last night before raocow did), but I feel like it highlights a big fundamental problem with Jumphalf... namely, it's *very* indecisive about whether it wants to be merciful and player-friendly, or cruel and unforgiving, and this stage just exemplifies both extremes.

On one hand, you have a load of reset doors, which are kind enough to simply restart that current section, instead of dropping you at the start of the area; very nice. However, then you have the second half, which has a fair few instances where if you mess up, your only option is to die. And frankly, it's almost backwards how the it's the tougher and more demanding obstacles (such as that jump after racing the "bread" up that shaft, and both instances of having to grab and throw blocks) that have death as a result of failure, while the more relatively simple ones get a reset door.

As an aside, someone in the YT comments complained about the music, and... that's been one of my biggest, albeit nitpickiest, overall issues with Jumphalf. Not the custom music, mind; that's been absolutely *excellent*, with some of the best sounds I've heard in an SMW hack. It has more to do with the sometimes oversaturation of the *default* music. Though the commenter was complaining about the ghost house theme, the one I find grossly overused is the "athletic" theme. I do get that a lot of people really seem to *love* that song, and it's not a *bad* song, but frankly, I find that it gets rather tedious hearing it in so many levels, sometimes like 3-5 in row. I get that there's not exactly infinite ROM space for custom music, but at least re-use songs from other stages instead of having what feels like a good third of the stages in game -- many of which are quite lengthy, at that -- stuck using a rather repetitive ~40 second loop.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

YelseyKing wrote: 4 years ago As an aside, someone in the YT comments complained about the music, and... that's been one of my biggest, albeit nitpickiest, overall issues with Jumphalf. Not the custom music, mind; that's been absolutely *excellent*, with some of the best sounds I've heard in an SMW hack. It has more to do with the sometimes oversaturation of the *default* music. Though the commenter was complaining about the ghost house theme, the one I find grossly overused is the "athletic" theme. I do get that a lot of people really seem to *love* that song, and it's not a *bad* song, but frankly, I find that it gets rather tedious hearing it in so many levels, sometimes like 3-5 in row. I get that there's not exactly infinite ROM space for custom music, but at least re-use songs from other stages instead of having what feels like a good third of the stages in game -- many of which are quite lengthy, at that -- stuck using a rather repetitive ~40 second loop.
I definitely feel like "replacing the default music with thematically similar new tracks" is a really, really good idea for collaborative projects. It only runs into trouble when you fail the "thematically similar" part and end up with music unfitting for castles and ghost houses, or put a low-tempo track over Athletic.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

YelseyKing wrote: 4 years ago im musicposting
I'm honestly okay with an overuse of vanilla music above all chocolate all the time but that's because I'm still trapped in the expectation that this is 2010 and most unsampled ports are pretty lousy because of it being the case in VIP and the JP hacks from raocow's early days

BobisOnlyBob wrote: I definitely feel like "replacing the default music with thematically similar new tracks" is a really, really good idea for collaborative projects. It only runs into trouble when you fail the "thematically similar" part and end up with music unfitting for castles and ghost houses, or put a low-tempo track over Athletic.
VLDC has this thing where they made new SMW remixes for new level themes and it just runs the issue of almost every stage being different renditions on this and it's honestly worse than BAH BAH could ever be
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago I'm honestly okay with an overuse of vanilla music above all chocolate all the time but that's because I'm still trapped in the expectation that this is 2010 and most unsampled ports are pretty lousy because of it being the case in VIP and the JP hacks from raocow's early days
The big problem here is that Jumphalf has about 2789073489623589 stages, and SMW has about six stage themes. So *without* custom music (and believe me, it has come a *long* way), you're hearing the same song over and over and over and over and over. Unless you seriously love (and I do mean *seriously love*) the SMW soundtrack (and I personally, really have never been super fond of it in general), it's going to get old and repetitive given how many stages use the same song(s).

Moists:

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

YelseyKing wrote: 4 years ago The big problem here is that Jumphalf has about 2789073489623589 stages, and SMW has about six stage themes.
yeah im not trying to dispute im just saying VIP has trained me to think like a VIPPER (i.e. an idiot)
Image Image
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

Personally, I will never get tired of hearing the underwater theme and the cave theme, those are great songs. My favorite is when non-water levels use the water theme (looking at you chains of atrophy). Besides that, most of the songs I find okay, the only song that becomes grating fast is the default boss theme. Also, it's worth mentioning that the default switch palace theme just works so well in a switch palace and there's just very few songs that work well enough to replace it's silly grooviness and switchpalaciness.

Of course, it doesn't help that most songs are a remix of the main theme anyway lol.

I believe that JUMP 1/2's use of randomly using both custom and vanilla songs are simply a reference (or relic, if you would prefer to use that) of the original JUMP. Also, much like the main overworld uses vanilla colors, I think the vanilla songs are a matter of personal style at times. But don't fret though cause I think there's only 2 levels left that don't use custom music? Most of the postgame has lots of custom songs :catplanet:
Last edited by gbreeze 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

gbreeze wrote: 4 years ago Personally, I will never get tired of hearing the underwater theme and the cave theme, those are great songs. My favorite is when non-water levels use the water theme (looking at you chains of atrophy). Besides that, most of the songs I find okay, the only song that becomes grating fast is the default boss theme. Also, it's worth mentioning that the default switch palace theme just works so well in a switch palace and there's just very few songs that work well enough to replace it's silly grooviness and switchpalaciness.
You'll notice I mentioned *none of those songs at all*. My beef is with the Athletic theme getting used so often, in like 3-5 stages *in a row*. Unless you're hopelessly in love with that song, *it eventually starts to get old*, especially given that it's a very short song (only ~40 seconds before it loops) and the stages are often very long. Even using the SMB3 Athletic theme now and then -- which *is* in the ROM -- would have been a nice change of pace. But hot damn, you don't take criticism very well. Every one of your posts is so highly defensive of every little thing people find wrong -- your visions were all so meaningful and perfect and we're all just a bunch of whinebabies for challenging your "artistic masterpiece".

Oh, and yes, hearing a song too much, no matter how much you may love it, can cause it to get repetitive. "Test of the l'Cie" from FF13 is one of my favorite songs in that game, and in my top 10 favorite songs *period*, but I couldn't help but feel like it was overused when it became a late game dungeon theme, then just outright replaced the normal battle theme in the final dungeon.

Moists:

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

They were just saying what songs they liked and didn't like because it was the topic of conversation, jesus christ yelsey. They weren't challenging your post whatsoever

Also if you made something of course youre going to talk about why the choices made were made, that's not "defensive" it's "having intent behind your choices"
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

just re-port the michigan j frog song carol used for the brutal mario switch palaces

Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
wow way to rip off bibbity boppity boo

and something else i can't quite place
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

eh, i see where you're coming from but

i just hear more of this in it
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

this only lends credence to my theory that carol likes disney and probably kingdom hearts
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

YelseyKing wrote:
gbreeze wrote: 4 years agomost of the songs I find okay
Every one of your posts is so highly defensive of every little thing people find wrong -- your visions were all so meaningful and perfect and we're all just a bunch of whinebabies for challenging your "artistic masterpiece".