(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMPhalf - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Leet »

Arctangent wrote: 5 years ago
Rockythechao wrote: 5 years ago Could we use those wiggler resprites for A2XT2?
i'm gonna hard "no" that if the best wiggler around is still just the glued-together sprite replacement of another enemy
well... it isn't
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Yeah, we've been able to add new custom NPCs without replacing others for a while now, and proper wigglers were among the new NPCs introduced in the Mx3 build. You can see one at 3:17 in this video:

That said, I was mainly asking about them because it seemed like they would go unused otherwise. If there's a chance you'll still use those graphics then yeah, definitely save them for that patch!
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

What about the mother duck and her children? That's already the perfect wiggler replacement.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, Duck Family is perfect for the Demo-Universe games; no need to make something new if there's already something that can be used. Save the Pumpkins for the next JUMP series hack.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i want to believe jump and asmt+sds take place in the same universe in a sort of shared canon kind of like every single snk property
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the A2MT ducks! My bad :oops:

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Fapnoob

Post by Fapnoob »

This is so comfy to watch.
Brings me good old times vibes from over a decade ago when i first started watching your lps.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago Image
Yes

Also, authorblues the speedrunner is streaming this game. Fascinating times we live in
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
J. J. W. Mezun

Re: JUMP½ - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Rockythechao wrote: 5 years agoI'd be remiss if I didn't mention that we've got a new projected release window we're working toward for the A2XT2 devkit and it's relatively soon.
Man, I was talking 'bout a true ASMT entry made in classic, crisp Super Mario World. Bootleg Mario Maker with butter controls & mushrooms that destroy the universe by touching lava doesn't count. E'en Fish Market Mayhem's better.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

And the revisionist history of mario maker continues

Alternative response: Next youre gonna be telling me theres only 3 kingdom hearts games
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Alternative response: Next youre gonna be telling me theres only 3 kingdom hearts games
there are

kingdom hearts ii, kingdom hearts ii final mix, and kingdom hearts ii final mix hd remix Image
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: Man, I was talking 'bout a true ASMT entry made in classic, crisp Super Mario World. Bootleg Mario Maker with butter controls & mushrooms that destroy the universe by touching lava doesn't count. E'en Fish Market Mayhem's better.
The only ASMT entry that got properly finished in SMW -- as in, didn't get cancelled and have to be resurrected years later by someone else -- was the first game. Like it or not, the series has migrated to SMBX and the majority of its releases have been with that engine.

Now, make no mistake, we're in agreement that SMBX is a bootleg! It's like a decade old at this point and the original developer was both a terrible programmer and had no sense for game feel. But if the NPC video wasn't enough indication, we've done a ton with the engine since A2XT1 or whenever you last saw it -- a fair number of bugs have been fixed (the mushroom in lava crash in particular was fixed long ago), support for modern file formats like OGG and PNG has been added, hardcoded limits like asset ID arrays and the max number of warps have been removed or expanded, and thanks to lunalua the physics can be custom-tailored to suit the needs of a level or episode.

With that said, A2XT2 is kind of locked into the janky default "butter controls" because the existing levels for the project were built around them (and every time we bring that up someone suggests scrapping all those levels and starting fresh, not happening, that'd set the project back way too much), but episodes after/beyond that can be molded to look and feel more like SMW, or any other 2D Mario title for that matter. I'm not saying that you'd be able to replicate SMW's tight movement perfectly, but you can get a heck of a lot closer than you'd think.

In any case, I'd rather not clog up this thread with any more SMBX talk so if you want to continue this discussion let's take it to PM or somewhere else, like a thread in the cartridge or something (in case anyone else is interested in comparing apples to oranges). I'll keep the unprompted A2XT2 mentions to a minimum from here on out as well.

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Rockythechao wrote: 5 years ago
J. J. W. Mezun wrote: Man, I was talking 'bout a true ASMT entry made in classic, crisp Super Mario World. Bootleg Mario Maker with butter controls & mushrooms that destroy the universe by touching lava doesn't count. E'en Fish Market Mayhem's better.
The only ASMT entry that got properly finished in SMW -- as in, didn't get cancelled and have to be resurrected years later by someone else -- was the first game. Like it or not, the series has migrated to SMBX and the majority of its releases have been with that engine.
To be fair, that's because development of a2mt was a bit of a mess, then jump happened. if jump didn't happen, i could see an a3mt happen instead, or if the jump team decided to make a hack with the demo universe graphics, they could get it done
KobaBeach wrote: i want to believe jump and asmt+sds take place in the same universe in a sort of shared canon kind of like every single snk property
jump is clearly just asmt without the custom graphics /s
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Re: JUMP 0.5 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Validon98 »

Balloons but you can actually control them reasonably? Now that's just illegal.

Real talk the fact that balloons have been made actually controllable is good and now I wish retroactively every horrible balloon section in all SMW hacks could be made to use the not-garbage controls.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Come on dude don't beat the sausage on video
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

It is definitely a bit weird how the blocks in Mario World have two vertical lines on them, and you look and think 'yep those are definitely eyes' rather than 'yep those are definitely two vertical lines'.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

maybe those blocks are actual people with souls and mario is senselessly committing murder Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Mata Hari wrote: 5 years ago It is definitely a bit weird how the blocks in Mario World have two vertical lines on them, and you look and think 'yep those are definitely eyes' rather than 'yep those are definitely two vertical lines'.
I mean
d34.jpg
d34.jpg (261.67 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Helium Caverns kicked my ass when playing it :)

I also tanked the dry bones puzzle in Bastion 2 Blue because im smrt.
Did not know about Bastion in Blue's secret exit w

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Alternative response: Next youre gonna be telling me theres only 3 kingdom hearts games
its okay there's only five mana games after all (ff adventure/adventures of mana, secret of mana, seiken 3, legend of mana, sword of mana) no more mana games were made after this until the remakes happened :)

I think the whole SMW vs. SMBX infighting is dumb tbh
Image Image
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

hm
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago
It's true that A2MT's failing had nothing to do with SMW as an engine, and if it seemed like I was arguing that I apologize for muddying my message by getting a bit snippy (though in my defense it's hard not to get defensive when a project your signature clearly indicates you're heavily invested in gets completely dismissed due to outdated information about the underlying framework).

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to another SMW Demo and Friends game and I have full confidence in the jumphalf team to pull it off wonderfully if they chose to do so. But I do have some reservations about what that would mean for the overall future of the ASMT series in terms of its primary focus/appeal and breaking away from being a Mario reskin, especially if we're going to make "ASMT is just JUMP with custom assets" jokes.

I'd go overboard and soapbox about it in my usual fashion but there's a pretty wild thunderstorm on my end right now and I want to post this before I lose it to a power outage

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Rockythechao wrote: But I do have some reservations about what that would mean for the overall future of the ASMT series in terms of its primary focus/appeal and breaking away from being a Mario reskin, especially if we're going to make "ASMT is just JUMP with custom assets" jokes.
tbh same

asmt's just its own shit now and it's probably for the best. the focus on a vehicle to deliver lol so random humor above fair gameplay kind of harmed asmt more than it helped establish an identity. like a lot of asmt (the smw hack) lowkey aged really poorly.

i'm glad it's just become a sort of "bakage" with an actual vision now, kinda like a western ganbare goemon

though the original asmt had a surprisingly lot in common with a dreamcast japanese launch game, sengoku turb, a superbly kitchy looking arpg similar to the dynasty warriors games in gameplay, where the plot line is basically "girl from outer space ends up in another planet while escaping from a planet she accidentally destroyed because she was trying to defeat some bad guy, now she has to help this army of cat people and bizarre polygon constructs defeat this army of sheep people and bizarre polygon constructs"

Arctangent wrote: 5 years ago Image

hm
the diamond's making me hungry for bugles
Image Image
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

I watched the tool assisted run by j1h7e7 (sic?)

I dont entirely understand how they got the secret exit in Hot Kickin'
I know it was a shell jump of some variety but WHAT

raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Wow those modified balloon controls made a balloon segment actually look kinda fun for the first time in existence