(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Project release thread

LP playlist:
JUMP ½ - 1 - rock 'n roll baseball
JUMP ½ - 2 - yuuna and the haunted hot springs
JUMP ½ - 3 - blue city
JUMP ½ - 4 - daisuō -dice king-
JUMP ½ - 5 - aozora fishing
JUMP ½ - 6 - jump minwa gekijō
JUMP ½ - 7 - gintama
JUMP ½ - 8 - can☆can every day
JUMP ½ - 9 - kickboxer mamoru
JUMP ½ - 10 - muddy
JUMP ½ - 11 - world trigger
JUMP ½ - 12 - steel ball run
JUMP ½ - 13 - dragon quest: the adventure of dai
JUMP ½ - 14 - normandy secret club
JUMP ½ - 15 - shadow lady
JUMP ½ - 16 - invincible tetsuhime spin-chan
JUMP ½ - 17 - chameleon jail
JUMP ½ - 18 - enigma
JUMP ½ - 19 - wāqwāq
JUMP ½ - 20 - super police
JUMP ½ - 21 - chainsaw man
JUMP ½ - 22 - fist of the north star
JUMP ½ - 23 - dr. stone
JUMP ½ - 24 - retsu!!! date senpai
JUMP ½ - 25 - kappa revolution
JUMP ½ - 26 - shaman king
JUMP ½ - 27 - metal fish
JUMP ½ - 28 - strawberry 100%
JUMP ½ - 29 - p2 - let's play ping pong!
JUMP ½ - 30 - best blue
JUMP ½ - 31 - maison du penguin
JUMP ½ - 32 - rokudenashi blues
JUMP ½ - 33 - gp boy
JUMP ½ - 34 - animal kyūjō
JUMP ½ - 35 - base boys
JUMP ½ - 36 - food wars: shokugeki no soma
JUMP ½ - 37 - shaka no musuko
JUMP ½ - 38 - climb sweeper
JUMP ½ - 39 - surely!!
JUMP ½ - 40 - bomber girl
JUMP ½ - 41 - 4 tarō 1 hime
JUMP ½ - 42 - dragon ball
JUMP ½ - 43 - sore ike jump de young oh! oh!
JUMP ½ - 44 - spike no. 1
JUMP ½ - 45 - assassination classroom
JUMP ½ - 46 - double arts
JUMP ½ - 47 - pankra boy
JUMP ½ - 48 - mr. fullswing
JUMP ½ - 49 - love and fire
JUMP ½ - 50 - beast children
JUMP ½ - 51 - eyeshield 21
JUMP ½ - 52 - ultra red
JUMP ½ - 53 - mario
JUMP ½ - 54 - the promised neverland
JUMP ½ - FINAL - 55 - kirin ~the last unicorn~
Last edited by Super Maks 64 4 years ago, edited 57 times in total.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP½ - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Emral »

while reading this thread remember to listen to the proper background music
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

The arc of the jump from leaving the ground to reaching maximum height is enough to hold approximately 130 exits within its timespan. How this works is a mystery for the ages.

I will admit to being slightly afraid of what the later stuff holds given JUMP's difficulty took off into the stratosphere around midgame (in my opinion at least, others here are way more used to that level of nonsense), but having done a fair amount of world 1 already myself, so far so good? Wonder if there's a sheet like with JUMP that gives a rough "this is how hard we think these levels are" thing or something.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

3rd level and I'm already disappointed in the LP. raocow didn't thwack a Bullet Bill.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

So I've only seen one submap and a bit of the main worldmap, but honestly, I have to give so much praise to the world map team, it looks absolutely incredible.

The levels are good too but I just really love me some good aesthetically pleasing world maps.
:trans_pride:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

Here we go!!

Validon98 wrote: 4 years ago I will admit to being slightly afraid of what the later stuff holds given JUMP's difficulty took off into the stratosphere around midgame (in my opinion at least, others here are way more used to that level of nonsense), but having done a fair amount of world 1 already myself, so far so good? Wonder if there's a sheet like with JUMP that gives a rough "this is how hard we think these levels are" thing or something.
Don't worry, this hack is easier than JUMP! The original JUMP employed an infamous "sawtooth difficulty curve" and JUMP 1/2 has a smoother curve instead. Also, if you'll notice, it is marked as "hard" instead of "very hard" (which is what JUMP is) on smwc.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Until we get to raocow's own level. Again.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Today's levels were really good, I had a ton of fun playing them the other day (almost done with World 3). BEGINNER FRIENDLY was a funny little 1-1 arrangement, JANK TOWN USA was a really good tutorial level, Home Run Derby was a hilarious use of ASM. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Hearing raocow say "bancho" was pretty good.

Gonna be real, I'm glad that JUMP keeps getting derailed into effort hell because I feel like trying to just make "another VIP1" would make it not really develop an identity, and it would just hold the hack back. A mix of VIP1 stuff with more complex stages mixed in is more truly in line with the VIPs and I feel it helps JUMP levels grow their own identity instead of just relying on "this is what VIP1 did, so".

What I've played so far honestly felt up there with VIP5 in terms of quality, and VIP5 is my favorite SMW hack ever.
Good luck on making JUMP 1.5 if that ever happens!!! Assuming you'll eschew traditional sequel numbering with every entry if there's ever another one.

gbreeze wrote: Don't worry, this hack is easier than JUMP! The original JUMP employed an infamous "sawtooth difficulty curve" and JUMP 1/2 has a smoother curve instead. Also, if you'll notice, it is marked as "hard" instead of "very hard" (which is what JUMP is) on smwc.
Spoilered because potentially controversial
I feel like JUMP 1/2, the first three worlds at least, has better quality control which helps a lot in the fun factor as well. I distinctly remember originally giving up on JUMP because levels like All The Way From New Jersey, the Disco Shell level and Virus' cave level were just not fun to play and not worth sitting through to get to the good shit.

The only level I didn't like this time around, thus far that is, was the Yellow Switch Palace.
Enjl wrote: 4 years ago while reading this thread remember to listen to the proper background music
aaaaahhhhhhhhhh thamk u
i still need to get back to wild arms 2

Wild ARMs 1 is really nice, if you enjoy RPGs and/or the PlayStation, give it a shot.
It's not the most amazing game, definitely no Final Fantasy IX (or VII or VIII if you prefer those, I like VIII it's just I have a different way of enjoying that one), but it's decent and a fun ride and that's what matters. The characters are pretty stupid but they're a fun bunch.
Battle graphics are definitely more of an eyesore compared to the OW graphics, though, heads up.
I still thought Ka Dingel [sic] was a bit of a difficulty spike with its random encounter roster.

Also! If you like Symphogear you'll like it and the rest of the series even more because of the amount of parallels (same author iirc).
Last edited by KobaBeach 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

I'd like to take this moment to give a big shoutout to worldpeace for getting us out of our self-dug ASM hole, in spite of many real-life complications. Without his outstanding efforts, this would only be like, JUMP¼.

Here is a timeline of this project's turbulent development, in case anyone's interested (potential spoilers!):
Some explanations:
- The Korean Rush is the name we gave to an incident where shortly after this video was uploaded, Korean users started claiming level slots en masse. 8 levels were made in total, of which 2 made it into the final game unchanged. Make of that what you will.
- The project got passed on twice. The first time because the baserom was immensely buggy at the time and aterraformer could not deal with it, and the second time because lolyoshi wanted to move on to personal projects.
- The level redo discussion was a controversial subject in late 2017. JUMP½ started out as a simple VIP-like hack, but as time went on, the bar of quality kept slowly rising, and by 2017, some of us proposed to start remaking weaker levels and bring them up to speed. There were lengthy moral discussions about this, but ultimately, we settled on allowing redos. From there on out, the project took on a more professional attitude.
- For the unaware, RNG is the name of the final postgame level.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Remember in how in JUMP you started with 12 lives? Here the starting lives are bumped up even further to 25!

Also who's katrina?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Korean Rush got us yoshi9429 and PokerFace, I say it was worth it

ano0maly wrote: Also who's katrina?
Person who did CLDC 1st place alongside idol. She's amazingly good at ASM and programming in general, tried to make a few tools, including the unfinished Daiyousei and Exlev.

I'm kinda sorta friends with her >.>

Lazy_ wrote:
- The level redo discussion was a controversial subject in late 2017. JUMP½ started out as a simple VIP-like hack, but as time went on, the bar of quality kept slowly rising, and by 2017, some of us proposed to start remaking weaker levels and bring them up to speed. There were lengthy moral discussions about this, but ultimately, we settled on allowing redos. From there on out, the project took on a more professional attitude.
Deciding to do this was worth it. It may have delayed the hack a lot more, but it's for the best that you did it. Not for professionalism (a lot of people go too far with that in hacks), but for just general quality control and fun.
Image Image
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
Spoilered because potentially controversial
I feel like JUMP 1/2, the first three worlds at least, has better quality control which helps a lot in the fun factor as well. I distinctly remember originally giving up on JUMP because levels like All The Way From New Jersey, the Disco Shell level and Virus' cave level were just not fun to play and not worth sitting through to get to the good shit.

The only level I didn't like this time around, thus far that is, was the Yellow Switch Palace.
Similar takes here. Original JUMP I gave up around world... 5? Due to things like Manky Bridge, the attitude level with balloon Mario, and so on. I just kept ramming my face into these levels that to me felt way too demanding. Granted, the difficulty is set pretty dang high for JUMP in general so I get that it was way outside my capacity to play, but I dunno, still felt way too early for some of the levels in that stretch of the game compared even to VIP or even Hyper. Glad to hear that 1/2's curve is a lot smoother!
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I found JUMP’s difficulty curve a bit too excessive for my tastes, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the fairness of Half’s, so I’m actually really eager to give this a spin on the weekend. Guess I’ll have to sit out on watching the LP until I make some headway into the game.

Nice work on finally getting this out, folks!
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Came here to comment on the overworld theme being from Wild ARMs 1, immediately saw plenty of people already beat me to it. n~yoron

Man, anything that gets raocow laughing like that should be a heck of a good time. I gotta' play this for myself.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

The absolute number one thing I am looking forward to in this LP is raocow forgetting to play as Luigi and then refusing to ever play as Luigi out of spite. It always happens and it is always absolutely cripplingly hilarious.

Am I being sarcastic? yOu WiLl NeVeR kNoW!!!?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I'm pretty sure at some point, he's going to refuse to play as

every other costume except mario or except luigi to spite people who wanted him to play luigi but then wanted him to play as other characters. ESPECIALLY demo

Mineyl wrote: Came here to comment on the overworld theme being from Wild ARMs 1, immediately saw plenty of people already beat me to it. n~yoron
its so good
Last edited by KobaBeach 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

devcomm: how Home Run Derby came to be

the story intersects with the level "Baseball Yard" from The Hooray: Fishing Season.

it all started in October 2015, when I wanted to make a level themed around baseball chucks. each month I would go back and just stare at the first two screens of the level, sometimes complete remake it. I couldn't come up with anything to make it interesting with just the vanilla stuff.

so december comes around and, during some mindletting, I just imagine Mario wrecking havoc with a baseball bat
3 days of arduous noob-level asm programming later and the baseball bat is, and the level afterwards kinda just wrote itself.

fast forwards to January 2016 when I get told about jumphalf. I didn't think I had much to contribute, but hey, "since The Hooray Fishing Season was only going to be played by a handful of people", I thought at the time, "it would be cool for the wider audience out there"

so I pick my palette, I pick the Block Ball music (cause this port by FPI is just amazing) and like... I just carefully construct each screen with pipes and munchers and cement blocks. the level ended up being made months before The Hooray Fishing Season was done

at the time I was worried the level was gonna be wayyy too easy but apparently it's actually pretty tough for a world 1 level, and it did get a couple nerfs here and there

there was a "sister level" of sorts to this one made later on, called "TAKE A HIKE", but it was rightfully dummied out due to being too similar in its aesthetics (and it didn't feature baseball fun)
Last edited by Mandew 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
video games
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Nice start so far. Been long enough that I don't remember JUMP much, so who knows what will happen here? I don't.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Having not seen the original JUMP LP, or the game for that matter, I'm fairly intrigued by what JUMPF will be like.
ImageImage
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago I'm pretty sure at some point, he's going to refuse to play as

every other costume except mario or except luigi to spite people who wanted him to play luigi but then wanted him to play as other characters. ESPECIALLY demo

>:O!!!

that is

SUCH a cool feature holy shit!!!! but i bet he'll settle on demo for a least a little bit, much like he stuck with Ostensibly Demo in super cat planet

someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

okaeri
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Mandew wrote: 4 years ago words
you did really good and i wish i had your confidence when it comes to asm and whatnot. i know asm but i dont have the confidence to do anything without at least studying most of it. like im studying smw's code before doing much of anything

i did make an smb3 burner with the help of vip5 code, but i still need to finish setting defines to test it (i care too much about readability)
also did a double jump levelasm (jump -> jump, jump -> spin, spin -> jump, spin -> spin chaining all possible) that i should really convert to patch sometime. started out as a sort of kirby jump a la brutal mario demo 7.5's 1-2.

still dont feel confident in myself tho hahah

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: >:O!!!

boon's in too

Image Image
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
Mandew wrote: 4 years ago words
you did really good and i wish i had your confidence when it comes to asm and whatnot. i know asm but i dont have the confidence to do anything without at least studying most of it. like im studying smw's code before doing much of anything

i did make an smb3 burner with the help of vip5 code, but i still need to finish setting defines to test it (i care too much about readability)
also did a double jump levelasm (jump -> jump, jump -> spin, spin -> jump, spin -> spin chaining all possible) that i should really convert to patch sometime. started out as a sort of kirby jump a la brutal mario demo 7.5's 1-2.

still dont feel confident in myself tho hahah
my important tips to you is to not be afraid to crash your game. test features as they are written one by one -- starting with the draw subroutine, and for every "little" thing afterwards. in most cases, readable code is more important than optimized code. if a bug frustrates you, back away from the work and lie down for a bit -- a lot of the times, I find problems and fixes when I'm doing something unrelated

you'll do great
video games
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Mandew wrote: 4 years agoin most cases, readable code is more important than optimized code.
Or alternatively focus on readable code until you've got it more or less complete then iterate over the parts that need optimization the most afterwards. Just don't let optimization bog down your work and prevent you from actually completing anything.