(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MiracleWater

Re: JUMP ξ(1) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by MiracleWater »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago
General_Urist wrote: 4 years ago I agree with raocow: The music in this level sounds bangin' and kinda familiar, but I can't put my finger on what it is.
I sounds sorta like this
*link*
but not exactly.
This is actually very similar sounding, but I believe the music is this:
Sebby19

Re: JUMP log₉3 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Sebby19 »

Enjl wrote: 4 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago SMW will always have the best overworld system.

Too bad SMBX can't replicate this.
SMW's overworld system is fantastic and far outclasses SMBX's, but if you phrase a statement like that 2nd paragraph like that you're running the risk of me doing it, haha

SMBX can definitely do it, but it depends on where you draw the line I guess. My own approach would be using a .lvlx file rather than a .wld file, to give a hint of how much I need to circumvent ;p
Accept the dare. I, err... dare ya

Man, how is the remaining sand holding back the ocean?

@rocky: I didn't say anything provocative?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

MiracleWater wrote: 4 years ago
General_Urist wrote: 4 years ago I agree with raocow: The music in this level sounds bangin' and kinda familiar, but I can't put my finger on what it is.
I sounds sorta like this
*link*
but not exactly.
This is actually very similar sounding, but I believe the music is this:
Yeah, that sounds more like it.

Though, I think most (if not all) the music in Super Bomberman 4 is just remixes of prior Bomberman Series tracks, so we're both sorta right.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I'm curious as to what thextwo Overworld sojgs for world 7 are
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP log₉3 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Rixithechao »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago @rocky: I didn't say anything provocative?
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago SMW will always have the best overworld system.

Too bad SMBX can't replicate this.
Like, it's not as rude as Mezun was being back toward the start of the LP, but it still came across a bit more condescending than you probably intended.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I feel your minset is trying to find something that isn't there. 1st sentence is my opinion (but could be argued as fact) that SMW has the best world map system, compared to all other mario games that have world maps.
2nd sentence is more of a lament that vanilla SMBX can't do anything fancier than draw paths. But I was secretly hoping someone would correct me on that, like when Enjl said "No. Er, maybe... not yet"

But to add balance, I don't think SMW can create junctions and new pathways, from the middle of existing paths. Something I've seen a couple times in the NSMB games.
If SMW and SMBX could do that, the world's your oyster. But right now, you need ASM to do that in SMW, and I'm not sure if LunaLua can give SMBX that ability. Yet.

SMBX's map does have the native ability to allow levels with 4 different exits and path leading from it. SMW would need some heavy ASM to allow a 3rd exit and path, correct?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoBut to add balance, I don't think SMW can create junctions and new pathways, from the middle of existing paths. Something I've seen a couple times in the NSMB games.
It can be done with a workaround in vanilla SMW. You can place levels from which the player can go in certain directions without having beaten the level before (like Yoshi's House in the original game). You can also place levels that the player can't enter. Such a level dot can be used for a split path.
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoSMBX's map does have the native ability to allow levels with 4 different exits and path leading from it. SMW would need some heavy ASM to allow a 3rd exit and path, correct?
SMW allows having up to 4 exits since the newly released Lunar Magic 3.0.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Nao wrote: 4 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoSMBX's map does have the native ability to allow levels with 4 different exits and path leading from it. SMW would need some heavy ASM to allow a 3rd exit and path, correct?
SMW allows having up to 4 exits since the newly released Lunar Magic 3.0.
Actually, you can put 120 exits into a level with Lunar Magic 3.0. It's a feature. Somehow. Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

As a self-proclaimed citizen of German tongue, I always paralleled Slaughterbahn to Achterbahn (roller coaster), rather than Autobahn (highway). I blame the "hter"-ending of the prefixes in the first 2 -bahn-words.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

After hearing the ghost house music, i actually have to think about Geisterbahn, another type of amusement ride. I think the English term is ghost train. It's basically a haunted house you experience in a car.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

BRICK JOKE was hilarious, I loved it :D Though the kicking Koopa spam was...really annoying.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

strongbadman wrote: 4 years ago I'm curious as to what thextwo Overworld sojgs for world 7 are
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago music for both versions of the submap is scorch n torch from tropical freeze, the beach rendition just goes for a more Costa Del Sol-ish spin on the track in a mix of moodsetting for the beach area and foreshadowing for the later underground lava section

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Griflion wrote: 4 years ago After hearing the ghost house music, i actually have to think about Geisterbahn, another type of amusement ride. I think the English term is ghost train. It's basically a haunted house you experience in a car.
usually Ghost House, going by my memory from Theme Park
But also called ghost trains, haunted houses and a whole slew of other names.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Re: JUMP 2*η(-1) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Arctangent »

apparently the name is more bilingually clever than i could ever hope to be with my complete lack of german skill. i just based the name off of a water park nyoro~n

Anyway, Slaughterbahn's one of the levels from the "make a VIP-y level" era of the project, and it really hasn't changed from what I remember. Like, mechanically, the only difference I noticed was the goal tape being replaced with a goal orb and the goal area in general being expanded a bit. The most major change is the color scheme - the old one had a red sky with black clouds, and the radishes used to have their normal colored sprouts out top while the shading was reversed ( so they where black with red highlights, instead of just being red with some black spots ).

An early version of the color scheme below, though I personally toned down the brightness of the sky in the final version I submitted before I drifted away from the project's orbit.
I'm guessing the changes stemmed from even the toned down red sky caused too much eyestrain, which also meant the radishes had to be changed - iirc, they actually use the exact same palette indexes as the background clouds. No idea what the logic was behind changing the sprouts, though. Maybe because the colorful ones looked too out of place or made the screen seem too busy? I'd have personally made them black ( or at least, the dark blue I used for "black with more character" ) in that case, though.

Beyond that bit of history, though, I think this level's pretty self-explanatory. There's only four types of sprites used and half of them are saws. I don't remember if I started out with the idea of "hey let's make an athletic autoscroller based around saws," but once I came to that, everything else just kinda lead to this weird automated Mario slaughter line.

Fun for the whole family!

anyone want to slip me some timestamped youtube vids or twitch clips of other peeps playing it

strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
strongbadman wrote: 4 years ago I'm curious as to what thextwo Overworld sojgs for world 7 are
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago music for both versions of the submap is scorch n torch from tropical freeze, the beach rendition just goes for a more Costa Del Sol-ish spin on the track in a mix of moodsetting for the beach area and foreshadowing for the later underground lava section

Aaaahhhh, thank you! I *knew* I rsecognized the lava version of this song!
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

was brick joke at all inspired by hyper 6? i feel like it was
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Crunchy wrote: 4 years ago was brick joke at all inspired by hyper 6? i feel like it was
No. Unless you mean the SMB3 aesthetics, which are here because aterraformer wanted more levels with SMAS graphics.

I did not see any footage of Hyper 6 back when I made this level.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP 2pi squared equals a math thing. math not maths, you.

Post by Awoo »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago apparently the name is more bilingually clever than i could ever hope to be with my complete lack of german skill. i just based the name off of a water park nyoro~n

Slippery road! I suppose a road would be slippery down from a slaughterhouse if it were covered with... the fruit juice from within

Water World is a better park.

I'm totally not biased shut up

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

GlitchMr wrote: 4 years agoActually, you can put 120 exits into a level with Lunar Magic 3.0. It's a feature. Somehow. Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
How long until a contest entry comes along with more exits in the one level than most hacks have as a whole?
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: JUMP (theoretical physics equation)

Post by Awoo »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago
GlitchMr wrote: 4 years agoActually, you can put 120 exits into a level with Lunar Magic 3.0. It's a feature. Somehow. Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
How long until a contest entry comes along with more exits in the one level than most hacks have as a whole?
Do the levels that have dozens of Kaizo Trap exits count?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Those are goals, not exits
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I still believe the level shown in that video is pretty cool, and I think I did a pretty decent job in re-creating it. Sucks the original song no longer works in the latest AddMusic, and had to be replaced, but what it got replaced by still sorta works (thanks, whoever changed it!)

Also:
Attachments
JUMP.png
JUMP.png (3.57 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: JUMP 2^•√π=°€™|

Post by Awoo »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago Those are goals, not exits
Squad goals nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Re: JUMP ⌊1.9⌋/⌈2.1⌉ - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

iirc daizo actually wanted to put sans in jump before people told him it wouldn't fit at all so it got replaced with the hopping bowser statue boss by worldpeace

should have ported a pce song to be more on brand
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*