(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP (-1)/(-2) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Ashan »

Er, sorry-

? ???? ?? ?????? ?????? ?????? ?? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??????, ??? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?? ???? ?????? ??? ???? ????? ???????

Code: Select all

???????? ???????????????(???) {
  ??? ?????? = '';
  ??? (??? ? ?? ???) {
    ?????? = ??????.??????(/[?-??-?]/?.????(?) ? '?' : ?);
  }
  ?????? ??????;
}
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

I'm ultra happy raocow included his criminally cut-out verse to Capital Cities' "Farrah Fawcett Hair" @ the end o' this video.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Y'know my thoughts went back to the concept of a standalone JUMP, and I'm not entirely sure if it would require SMW's context all that much.

Like, sure, it would probably borrow a lot of SMW's mechanics anyway, but I think a lot of the stuff this one has showed off so far is actually intuitive enough without actually being familiar with SMW's weirder stuff or jank. Some stuff ( i.e. a Rip Van Fish equivalent ) would probably need to be introduced in a normal context in an earlier level, but I don't think that'd be all that troublesome in most cases ( i.e. you'd just need a water level with Rip Van in it, which isn't exactly restricting ) outside of requiring some careful logistics.

I guess it'd still be irrevocably linked to SMW due to those recognizable mechanics, but at the same time La-Mulana's basic gameplay is pretty irrevocably linked to Castlevania what with its jumping physics and how your starting weapon works ( plus subweapons are pretty Castelvania-esque aside from using their own ammo instead of a shared total, though on the other hand the jumping physics from what I remember are more like Ghosts 'n Goblins, or at least Super G&G ) and yet it stands out pretty strongly on its own. A standalone JUMP would probably have a stronger link, but to SMW hacks rather than SMW itself, which most people wouldn't actually be all that familiar with.

I dunno, it's interesting to think about, because it doesn't feel like the last five or so videos have had something that wouldn't be understandable by someone who has never touched SMW in their life before this hack, aside from the puzzle in the storehouse. The closest an actual level from those those videos has come to breaking that feeling is like hongry plants, but 1F0 was introduced in literally the second level and has been used regularly since, and the bowling balls, while janky looking, don't really need the context of the classic Bowser boss to understand ( they're just big ol' obstacles with a weird yet always consistent movement pattern, after all ). The only strong contention is the vines eating non-blocks, but I might just forgetting an earlier level that introduced that and the level only really involves one non-background block being eaten and it's just to make an obstacle more complicated, so ...

That's the thing, I suppose. SMW's general mechanics are pretty dang intuitive and these levels are really good at introducing concepts that might not've popped to mind on their own, so it's actually very friendly to new players. I mean, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's never played a single platformer before, but someone who's just never played SMW before? I'm sure they could pick it up just fine and then I'd be proven wrong by one early level I forgot about that doesn't introduce a necessary yet not very intuitive concept properly, but hey, that's something that can be worked on if anyone was actually serious about doing something like this.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I used my m4st3r h4ck3r skills to save time in the future, and I propose all posts in this thread use this going forward

Code: Select all

function questionMarkize(str) {
  let newStr = '';
  for (let i of str) {
    newStr = newStr.concat(/[a-z0-9]/i.test(i) ? '?' : i);
  }
  return newStr;
}
Can be shortened quite a bit. Use /\S/ instead. \S (capital S, not lowercase) matches all non-whitespace characters in Regex.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

It's a bit silly I went as far as getting the regex and didn't think to just do a replace
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote:
is it bad that the list you did in hot kicking reminded me of

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Re: JUMP 0.1/0.2 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by KobaBeach »

this bouken desho desho port sucks dick
Image Image
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I do like how the palette of cold tree zone is vaguely Game Boy-esque so the trees are cold and old.

Congrats also to Brain Plague being a level about darkness that feels better than most things that try doing a darkness mechanic.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

that was the first legitimately spooky smw level i've ever experienced
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Well then, I never thought I'd see a genuine horror level in Mario World, but Jump [integral from zero to one](x dx) continues to surprise me.

Also, the act of bunny hopping is now called Bowser hopping.
Fapnoob

Post by Fapnoob »

Level called brain plague. Lots of green and one eyed enemies.
Is that a motherfucking Black Plague reference?
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I'm noticing that secret exits thus far haven't really been shortcuts. I think taking "this group of trees is cOLD out of the forest actually adds up to having to do one more level than either forest path.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

Most of the world 3 paths in general just seem to be alternate paths rather than shortcuts. Probably something to do with how many levels exist in the game in general. In general, world 3 is pretty dense even though it's basically three different paths that all link up before the end.

That also seems to apply to the world design period. Most of the secret exits I've ran into up to now have fit into that general pattern of "tends to just be another way to go rather than a shortcut."

The only exception I can think of is the secret exit that leads to the cinema, at least up to now.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

after like a week, raocow finally finishes his spaghetti dinner
brain plague was cool but i'd have hated playing it myself
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I really liked Brain Plague's gimmick. For the most part it gave you chances to look ahead in relative safety prior to making it dark and having to act and I just thought that worked super well. Plus its atmosphere was great.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

All roads lead to Koopa Khaos.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I'll also +1 what others said and say that Brain Plague was a really well done darkness gimmick. It's rare to see a dark level that actually seems calculated, like the author had a specific intent for where you were supposed to be and what was supposed to happen throughout the level. It's all very well orchestrated. This is as opposed to typical darkness gimmicks where it's like "the level is now harder because you can't see anything" and it's completely hardware dependent as to how much harder it actually is, and in some cases can be completely cancelled out by playing with your TV/monitor's brightness settings and whatnot. It's absolutely one of my biggest pet peeves when games do this, cause it's lazy, unfair, and inconsistent. But this clearly had a lot of thought put into it, and the darkness affects everyone exactly the same way. Kudos to the author for that!
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

The Melancholy of Demo Suzumiya.
Attachments
DemoSuzumiya.png
DemoSuzumiya.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
ImageImage
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I'm disappointed there was no "don't look back or else" mechanic in Brain Plague like the first box implies :(

but i love the overall gimmick, that was cool.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago The Melancholy of Demo Suzumiya.
wow
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

my dev commentary for cold trees is that jump 1/2 needed a forest level with a secret exit but i could only have 1 level slot and no sublevels

yeah

BTW my levels in this hack are more of janky vanilla showcases than anything particularly extraordinary, but I like them.

SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Those thwomps in Brain Plague surprised me when I played that level.
I was not expecting a graphic change!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Brain Plague felt very suspenseful for a Mario level for the atmosphere alone, I actually liked it a lot

Closest thing to it was honestly a Fatal Frame 2 based level I played a bit of in a Japanese hack an acquaintance of mine on Twitter made

Nimono wrote: 4 years ago I'm disappointed there was no "don't look back or else" mechanic in Brain Plague like the first box implies :(
Let's avoid another S Mario honestly lol

FrozenQuills wrote: 4 years ago

BTW my levels in this hack are more of janky vanilla showcases than anything particularly extraordinary, but I like them.

Nothing wrong with that. If they're all like cOLD, then they're not my thing, but they're absolutely valid
Image Image
Arctangent
squawky

Re: JUMP |1/-2| - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Arctangent »

pyro is truly an ideal game dev
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Re: JUMP |1/-2| - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Validon98 »

I was just as confused by that end of castle 3 message. Is that some sort of saying or something?

I think between like this group of trees is cOLD, Koopa Kraze, and the levels we saw today, this is where JUMP 1/2 is starting to become real. I'll admit to spending many lives on pretty much all of these levels (like 15-20 or even more) so not 100% surprised this is where the deaths'll start coming in.