(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP ((d/dx)(√x))*√x - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Mata Hari »

WHy does holding the direction tyou'rre going in when you get shot of a cannon kil your momentum
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Isn't it because your max movement speed when using directional buttons is slower than your max possible movement speed (we've seen this elsewhere in this hack)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

SMW's engine works in mysterious ways regarding momentum and cannons (my assumption is "player driven momentum will override automatic momentum").

Maw of the Beast is a juggernaut of a puzzle which... it's I think a slight bit easier than some of the puzzle levels we've seen in the VIPs, or hell, even in YUMP, but it's still up there just for how long and grueling it is to get through.
Ryrir wrote: i like how the same people who created this incredible 200iq puzzle also couldn't help themselves and had to put loss and a literal butthole joke in there
Same went way earlier for the blue switch where the author couldn't help himself and hid a kappa emote there. There is some bad joke energy still in this hack.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago Isn't it because your max movement speed when using directional buttons is slower than your max possible movement speed (we've seen this elsewhere in this hack)
Validon98 wrote: 4 years ago SMW's engine works in mysterious ways regarding momentum and cannons (my assumption is "player driven momentum will override automatic momentum").
Surprised this was never patched out but considering how little it comes up it might not be worth it. Also maybe it's not possible to do without preventing the player having any input over their momentum at all. I wouldn't know
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Ryrir wrote: 4 years ago i like how the same people who created this incredible 200iq puzzle also couldn't help themselves and had to put loss and a literal butthole joke in there
VIP QUALITY
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago Isn't it because your max movement speed when using directional buttons is slower than your max possible movement speed (we've seen this elsewhere in this hack)
Yes. To be more precise, the game caps your horizontal speed *only* when you're holding left or right on the d-pad. Otherwise it's very much possible for Mario to go so fast that his value eventually reaches past 127 and thusly becomes -128 -- if given the means to accelerate independently of player input, of course.
video games
Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Lazy_ »

maw devcom
First half by me, second half by Pyro.

At some point in 2017, I reserved the level slot for this level, aspiring to create JUMP1/2's equivalent of Miscellanous Monument (in other words, the definitive puzzle level of the game). I managed to finish the first half, but found myself low on ideas for the second half and unhappy with what I had made so far. I uploaded it for others to play, intending to scrap it regardless of its reception. To my surprise, people seemed to like it, but I shelfed Maw anyway and made a different level. Said level was received so poorly that Maw was immediately brought back and Pyro agreed to make the second half.
Some time later, she sent me this sketch. I quite liked it, but it was obviously in dire need of polish. After the full level was posted, the continuous stream of feedback made me tweak Pyro's half over and over until it became what it is now - bearing almost no resemblance to the original sketch anymore. Most notably, the original solution for the last puzzle involved a glitch where Yoshi runs slowly if he gets hit by a Piranha fireball. No one could figure this out and everyone just used the (unintended) coin bastion method instead, so that ultimately became the intended solution.

As for my original intent with the level: it was mainly going to be about looping through sections multiple times with different resources and different outcomes. The second half was to feature completely different themes than the first half, with the only tie being the "looping around" idea. Thanks to Pyro's efforts to imitate the progression of the first half, we now have the skull raft splitting and Yoshi teamwork themes across both halves.
My inspirations for the first half:
- Canary Tunnel (visuals, mazelike layout)
- original Root of Yggdrasil (pipe going from the very right to the very left)
- The Shell of Reckoning (idea of looping though sections)

The out-of-place platforming at the start of the first cave room is there for two reasons: firstly, it's literal filler because I didn't want any dead space, and secondly, it's relevant to a certain secret in the level (we saw some glimpses of it in the video).

And yes, I realized in hindsight that the execution in this level is more finicky than it needs to be (generally speaking, the execution part in puzzle levels should be as untroubling as possible). That said, I'm not sure why rao decided to start over at 30:04 - he hadn't lost any progress.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP 2/4 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by raocow »

that's just tunnel vision. so used to just restarting that part that I.. just restarted it out of reflex.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Implo

Post by Implo »

This level is really something. It took me few hours to beat it. It's a really complicated puzzle level, similar to Monument level from original JUMP. Ultimate puzzle level. And I like it. The only huge problem I had was figuring out second coin guide in second half. I watched video from Bowser Cinema to solve it. Also I had problem with leaving Yellow Yoshi on 1F0 net by grabbing blue block. While I figured it out fairly easily, I had a lot of problem of executing it. Doing so many things in short amount of time is really hard for me, so I ended by slowing down my emulator. Still, it was a really clever puzzle and very good level.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

more like paw of the beast 🐾
Image Image
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Having watched the full video now it's safe to say I'm glad I've watched it but not played it.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

Not mentioned because I thought raocow would only do the first half today so I didn't bother to scan this: to help me w/ designing this (since puzzle levels usually aren't a specialty of mine lol) I actually sketched out the 2nd half in advance, here's the sketch!

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I iI
i L
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Mata Hari wrote: Having watched the full video now it's safe to say I'm glad I've watched it but not played it.
same, it's stages like this that kind of deter me from getting really into JUMP compared to VIP

like no offense it's just that VIP's stages, as absurd as they are, they never really make me fuck with SMW's mechanics too in-depth. there's glitch exploitation and puzzle solving but it's accessible glitch exploitation and puzzle solving. like the most extreme VIP ever goes is beyrevia's Maze Castle stages. it's also why i feel some people can get into VIP whilst most of morsel's stages feel more niche.

i can't really relax playing a stage like this, sorry
Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

i doubt I would've enjoyed playing that level, but

MAN it looked so impressive! I liked the puzzles, too! I can see how others would like it! The only actual COMPLAINTS I have are the softlock issue with the turn blocks and the intro where you can't hold ANYTHING or you don't make it all the way there. I know I would've held right when seeing the cannon entrance! I always hold right when leaving a cannon, it's just natural for me because my instincts tell me that if I don't, I won't keep moving (even though NOT holding right means I go further). Still... Not too big an issue!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Who would've guessed the beast is such a huge fan of escape rooms
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

MAN I know it's been said already but that was a freaking blast of a level to watch. I love in-depth puzzle levels from the JUMP series and this one was exceptionally done.

Props to the team
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
polaris

Post by polaris »

Honestly those were some crazy puzzles, to the point that I was like, how do you even come up with these things. I liked how even some of the seemingly questionable design decisions (the random arrow signs pointing left-right, or the really long looping pipe around the infinity symbol) actually ended up mattering too. Made for some fun "aha" moments as I was watching.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm not necessarily a big fan of playing puzzle levels, but they make for some of the best videos. That half hour flew by!
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I love solving these types of puzzles-- the satisfaction from the "aha!"s are so worth it, especially when you understand why certain setups are the way they are.

Also, mario levels on notebook paper is essentially all I did in school until 5th grade, lol
Mosts Awards:
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

ft029 wrote: 4 years ago Also, mario levels on notebook paper is essentially all I did in school until 5th grade, lol
Hah. And here I thought I was the only one who did that. Nice to see I wasn't alone. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Some people have the opinion that they'd prefer to watch a level like this rather than play it themselves, which is perfectly fine, but I'm pretty much the exact opposite of that. I loved playing this level myself, but I just know that if I were to watch this video without having played the level first I'd be trying to come up with the solution in my head and getting frustrated when raocow takes awhile to do what I'm thinking of. Again, there's nothing wrong with that; I just like to be able to try things as soon as I think of them rather than waiting for whoever's playing the video game to do it.

Anyway, as I said I loved this level. It's kind of hard to explain why, since puzzle levels are a very different beast compared to normal levels, but I had a great time figuring things out step by step.

Valentine
[b]the[/b]
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

This level is absolutely insane and I love it, took me about 2 hours to beat total, it is an extremely exhausting level though.
:trans_pride:
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

i dont think raocow ever pressed start on Over Hills and Valleys. who made it?
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Fantastic level. While it had a lot of moving parts, i think it was less obtuse than a bunch of stuff we've already seen in this hack.
ImageImage