(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: JUMP 2*η(-1) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by SAJewers »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago
should have ported a pce song to be more on brand
i mean having something like this get ported might've been cool, but I can't really port music, and i don't think it was possible to get someone to do it; i just left it to the jump 1/2 team
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP ⌊1.9⌋/⌈2.1⌉ - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by KobaBeach »

i want legend of xanadu's translation patch to get finished sometime in the near future.....
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Thread title is Jump 1/3rd, btw
Today's levels uuuhh sure were
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

did the bones become ghosts or ghosts become bones
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP ⌊1.9⌋/⌊2.1⌋ - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Super Maks 64 »

You can tell that I'm struggling with these titles so much that I'm making simple mistakes
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 4 years ago You can tell that I'm struggling with these titles so much that I'm making simple mistakes
A few more for you:
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You could also just write it out in different languages
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

oh hey, that first level had doom music

:catplanet:
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

Been mostly commenting on the actual YT videos, but I just gotta say how much I *loved* that reveal after the Earthquake level. As chaotic as Brick Joke was, I also really liked the creativity it had, too!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Anybody notice the custom camera work in today's level?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Anybody notice the custom camera work in today's level?
I though I'd imagined the camera scrolling down on it's own. That was neat.
ImageImage
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Anybody notice the custom camera work in today's level?
I find it really neat.

Speaking of custom cameras, there was one in BRICK JOKE, but it was quite subtle, the camera in second part of a level was changed to behave more like Super Mario World's horizontal camera, but vertically, and as subtle it is, it's in my opinion a big improvement for vertical levels. Super Mario World's vertical camera positioning is normally awful in vertical levels.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: JUMP φ/(1+(√5)) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Kilgamayan »

What a great level. I particularly like having fun with single-point rotodisc spam - that's something I wish more hacks did. It's very aesthetically pleasing.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

When I played the game I enjoyed So Sadistic, It's Mischevious but I don't think I'd ever in my life want to defend the level being in this game.

It's a difficulty spike (of the sort of difficulty which is generally not present in the game, except in like 2 other levels which haven't been played yet) which really comes out of nowhere, surrounded by a game of 99% relatively short levels, it feels like it's made for a completely different audience and if anything should've been placed in the postgame, I get that there's the argument of it being a final challenge before bowser's castle but I feel it's far too different from the rest of the game's style to warrant it being in the main game.

As a standalone level I like it though and the joke at the end was pretty funny.
:trans_pride:
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

This level is pretty great at what it's trying to do, but I do have issues with it abusing the fact that SMW's doors are really finnicky; every single door besides the first one has immediate danger if you wait long enough at it, and SMW's door aren't the easiest to enter on first attempt when going from motion to standstill (this is especially the case with the door in the layer 2 smash room if you don't have switch blocks).

Still it's a nice level even if it took me 6 hours to beat without switch blocks or any upgrades
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Although this level is a frustrating gauntlet, I think I'd be disappointed if it wasn't, after seeing the name.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

This was my favourite level in the game. I love a stressful level that gets your blood pumping.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I'm surprised to see that so many people seem to love this level; maybe it's just because I died a lot, but this is easily my least favourite level of what I've played so far (this is also the last level I've played so I'd better get playing if I want to stay ahead of raocow). I think each individual section is actually pretty good, but the level as a whole feels far too much like a bunch of levels stitched together. Redoing the second half every time I died in the last section got tedious rather quickly, to the point that I eventually decided to give it a break and come back another day, hoping that I'd be able to get through the level if I came back with a clear mind.

Well after going through that red room once the next day it became just as tedious as before, and although I had hoped to get through this game without savestates, I eventually put one down at the end of the red room. I enjoyed the last section a lot more when I didn't have to worry about slogging through the previous section every time I died, but at that point it was too late for me to change my opinion of the level. I feel like each half of this level could have been its own level, but barring that it would have been nice to at least have a checkpoint at the end of each section.

Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Feel like a lot of people who tell themselves they're gonna play without savestates end up eating shit
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

This is one of lolyoshi's best works in my opinion, in a way it could be his magnum opus, and represents everything about the way he makes levels. There's also a couple other designers that have these sort of levels (though vastly different than So Sadistic), they represent the epitome of that designer's style. Lolyoshi follows a step-by-step method to create levels and his formats can sometimes be seen from the easiest to the most brutal level, which is interesting.

Also I always found it cool that lolyoshi made the easiest and first level in the game, BEGINNER FRIENDLY, and also made the last level before bowser and arguably one of the hardest levels in the game. It feels like you really come full circle.

raocow played fantastic today, I died a lot more than he did. But I still liked this level a lot. It immediately provokes memories of Depraved, but (sorry jolpe, I love your levels, and no offense), but the design in So Sadistic is a lot more creative and interesting than in Depraved. Usually, the more "creative" your setups, the less they fit into a gauntlet level because gauntlet levels need to have setups that are easily readable. That's why Depraved had simple setups, just tons of them. But lolyoshi managed to make some super creative stuff while making the setups readable (so no trial and error).

This level is very jarring in the game, I admit. And I partially agree that it would have been good in the postgame as well, though I think where it is right now is appropriate. But I'm glad it's in the hack. Part of the reason it seems jarring is because some world 7 levels received nerfs (such as boss bass), and so So Sadistic really seemed like a jump in difficulty (nerfing it would have been silly cause the whole point is that it's long, plus lolyoshi didn't want to have it nerfed). However, we figured that having a super tough level right before bowser makes more sense than having one in worlds 3 or 4 like in JUMP. And like some have mentioned, super long gauntlet levels can help you feel really satisfied after a long journey (both in the level sense and in the sense that this is right before the end of the main game)
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

all other levels so far have been 1/2 a jump in difficulty
so sadistic is the other half
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

It's in levels like this where we get to see just how good raocow can be in SMW.
ImageImage
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Man... it's levels like this one that make me realize the world of difference between myself and most of this community regarding video game difficulty. Maybe it's the fact that I suffer from anger issues, and have since I was a kid, but man, I cannot see this level as "good". Like, well designed for what it's trying to do? Yeah, of course. But would I have fun with this level as-is? Not really. There's a *lot* to redo if you die, and so very, very many ways *to* die.

I've been playing Jumphalf myself lately... and for the most part, I'm enjoying it, and trying to play it as "legit" as I can... But there are times I just... can't. Honestly, as much as I wish I did, I just don't get that feeling of exhilaration and satisfaction when I beat a level like this that a lot of people here do... I just feel drained, and like my "winning run" depended more on luck than skill. I'm not *bad* at platformers... I just lack a lot of the patience to want to redo a bunch of stuff that many people here have. Honestly, it makes me feel *very* self-conscious, because as much as I'd like to believe otherwise, there do seem to be at least a few people here of the "YOU CHEATED NOT ONLY THE GAME, BUT YOURSELF!" mentality regarding emulator tools.

I do suppose there's a matter of skill involved; raocow and many others here have been playing hard hacks for years, whereas I have not. But I really don't get why it's viewed as such a heinous crime to enjoy a game in your own way if it differs from "the norm". Like, seriously. Who is it hurting? Me? I don't care. I'm not out to be a video game master. I'm just out to have fun, and if "cheating" makes a game more fun to me, then I see no problems with it.

For the record, I'm not really out to change anyone's minds. If you enjoy and get something out of playing hard games, that's awesome. Go for it. I'm not trying to stop you or shame you or anything. I just wish that less skilled/patient gamers like myself wouldn't get so much shit for "doing it wrong".
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

damn, raocow's performance today was impressive.