(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP 2/4 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Mandew »

tangy wrote: 4 years ago i dont think raocow ever pressed start on Over Hills and Valleys. who made it?
Witherskellie
video games
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP 2/4 - Half a jump is only a jump cut in half so it's not a half of a thing

Post by Awoo »

Am I the only one who noticed that this used Secret of Evermore music?
Stupidly under-appreciated game, that.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

The Secret of Evermore music in this hack, alongside many other songs used in this hack for various things, still surprises me in regards to how much good video game music I've yet to listen to in my lifetime.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

XXI is a level that really put in perspective the strenght of the habit of leading one's jumps to land on enemies.
video games
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

OK that first level today was pretty genuinely disturbing. An eldritch location where all the creatures, all the structures, the very reality itself seems to be in a perpetual state of decay, where monstrous eyes stare unblinking from the void, where the very space does not follow Euclid's rules and loops unpredictably, where normally-inanimate objects bear horrific toothy visages.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

well this is a finale that sure ramps up the awesome

also christ i feel like that first level came about from idol secretly rummaging through my brain, digging out a bunch of concepts i absolutely adore, and going "i can work with this" because holy shit
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Re: JUMP -1+2*3+-3²÷2 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Validon98 »

you were holding an umbrella was the castle of the four I saved for last because even if it's the easiest, it felt the most fitting to be the last when we're already in the vast emptiness of deep space where the throw block god looks down on us, witnessing our trials and despair, mocking us with those two empty eyes. Plus weird eldritch nightmare zones, as creepy as they tend to be, just make good finales, yanno?

XXI... I dunno, I liked the first half and the gimmick is interesting, but some of those setups in the second half of the level are just nasty enough to be demoralizing.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

re: level names

Is the umbrella level intended to evoke Knytt Stories? If so I approve.

XXI is I believe a reference to the Tarot card "The World."
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Voltgloss wrote: 4 years ago XXI is I believe a reference to the Tarot card "The World."
this is why the fact that the music isn't a port of death note's first op is a huge missed opportunity
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Wow, raocow found 2 softlocks in a row. Nice.

But seriously, that was some awesome playing in the 1st castle. That could've continued all the way through had it not been for that softlock.

So is this place Zebraspace? The very fringes of it?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Part of me feels those softlocks should've been caught, part of me is unsure they're anything anyone else would ever do.

I was also wondering why he wasn't ducking under that last bowling ball before the end, but then he did, so
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

hey there everyone this is raocow playing windows movie maker
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

ha
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
maou shoujo
devil girl

Post by maou shoujo »

This hack has taken a turn for the surreal and horrifying and I am so here for it

Maw of the Beast, you were holding an umbrella, the physics breaking in XXI, this is so good

What was the music in you were holding an umbrella? I swear I've heard that song before but can't place it. Equinox maybe?
occasional watcher of the lets plays
Negative

Post by Negative »

maou shoujo wrote: 4 years ago What was the music in you were holding an umbrella? I swear I've heard that song before but can't place it. Equinox maybe?
Distortion World from Pokémon Platinum

Speaking of said song, maaaan, that port sounded EXACTLY like original. The music continues to amaze.
maou shoujo
devil girl

Post by maou shoujo »

Negative wrote: 4 years ago Distortion World from Pokémon Platinum

Speaking of said song, maaaan, that port sounded EXACTLY like original. The music continues to amaze.
Ah, I haven't played that. Most likely it got featured in Distorted Travesty and that's where I remember it from.

(The DT series was another amazing raocow LP and I still think about that game on a regular basis. Someday I'm even going to play it myself instead of just watching streams n~yoron )
occasional watcher of the lets plays
Implo

Post by Implo »

The first level is my favorite out of 4 castles. It's really neat and fun platforming.

On the other side XXI is the hardest and the worst level for me in the whole hack. It may not look that hard, but this gimmick of stopping the time whenever Mario is in air is so mind breaking. This level force player to completely change his way of judging situation. I call this kind of levels a psychological level.

For example Phantom of Mirror from ASPE. It was visual effect - you could see something that in reality was on the other side of screen. If it would be only 1 screen, then it wouldn't be that big of a problem. But level was longer and every enemy was moving. It was presented in last world and it had difficulty of last world. There was also no place to learn this gimmick in safe environment.

The same story is here. For training you have 1 screen with springboard jump and the rest of the level is deadly. I really want to like this level, but I can't. This crazy gimmick has been badly introduced. There should be very easy level with this gimmick somewhere in World 2 first. Then second level somewhere in World 5 with difficulty between this easy level and postgame level. This way I could train my brain for this XXI level. Right now I don't think I have even a chance to learn this gimmick.

This is a big weakness of collabs like that: people want to present as many as possible ways of playing Mario that there is no place to focus on one certain gimmick. And this gimmick needs a lot of attention. This gimmick is mind breaking, but also has a lot of potential. I think there is enough potential to create the whole hack solely based on this 1 gimmick. Starting from very easy level design and then slowly increasing difficulty and presenting unique situations. This level just wanted to show too many unique design and too early for a player.

Ultimately this level was a huge trainwreck for me. I died on every possible obstacle many times. It was even less enjoyable level than the hardest level from original JUMP - 1F8. Luckily the rest of the hack is much better.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

XXI was probably the worst level so far, unappealing/lazy aesthetic, fast-paced music for a very slow-paced level, all sorts of timing shenanigans in lieu of actual platforming, and wasted potential with a good gimmick used mostly poorly. god, what an unpleasant experience to watch, and i'm sure even more unpleasant to play. hard disagree with calling it a good level mr. the cow but opinions
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

Arcana Force XXI - The World?

Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

wahhmygoshes▒▒░░ so many good emotions from todays thing༛ firstly ⟪you were holding an umbrella⟫ was such an awesome lovecraftian-like horror (^▽^) it was so well done, both in tone ands in design. i loved how the platform was all ragged and stuffs. secondly, i thought ⟪XXI⟫ was so so pretty and simple with its gimmick⁛⁙ it was seriously such an awesome level, it tied its visuals and mechanic together soo wonderfully▵ it explained itself so well♡🎔

also〜 the hand drawn map was SO RAD✧ ゚ its amazing how full pieces of artworks can be put into the game⁎˚₊ ゚ whats the limited palette like for doing that sorta thing‽ it would be really cool to see the original drawing⚊do the hues and stuffs differ⁇
ImageImage
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

miraculously, i was able to get through the entirety of xxi without ever understanding the gimmick of the level. my brain was so fried from jumping i never even registered stuff pausing was correlated to my being in the air
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

I'm surprised raocow beat holding an umbrella without dying even once! Props to you raoman!
As for XXI, the level itself had a nice thing going for it, and it did seem like a fun challenge! But the constantly changing colors probably made it a bit troublesome to play, and I imagine especially some peeps might've had a hard time just staring at the level.
ImageImage
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

maou shoujo wrote: 4 years ago What was the music in you were holding an umbrella? I swear I've heard that song before but can't place it. Equinox maybe?
Funny enough, our team had lots of trouble choosing a piece of music for umbrella. One proposed piece was an edit of Equinox - Tori, except lolyoshi did something with the instruments to make it sound legitimately unsettling. tori_louder.spc (you'll need a spc 700 player)

To be honest, I think XXI could have done more with the gimmick. I had an idea of using vines to align Mario in precise positions, such as between 2 thwomps. Also, the aesthetics really burned my eyes. I'm still impressed by the effort put in-- every single thwomp, podoboo, mushroom, etc. is a custom sprite. That also explains why their aesthetics don't conform to the other maverick thwomps in the game, since they aren't the global sprites.
Mosts Awards:
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I liked these levels a lot. you were holding an umbrella did some neat things with screen wrapping, and I also liked the aesthetics. As for XXI, this was my favourite level of these four, and it might just be my favourite level in this entire hack. I love the looks of this place, though as my username might suggest I like rainbow coloured stuff, so that's probably no surprise. I also really liked the gimmick here, but I tend to adapt to gimmicks quickly so I probably caught on quicker than most. Although even then there were some places where I had a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the gimmick. There are a few places here that I feel could have used some tweaking, but overall I had a great time here.

Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

XXI must be the most polarizing level in the game. Some people seem to like it as the best level in the hack while I still cannot wrap my head around the gimmick enough to play it even close to properly.