(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zach808

Re: JUMP π/2π - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Zach808 »

I actually didn't have a problem finding that exit, since I thought the Ninji falling into the pit just looked weird. I tried following it before even going left, though, so maybe if I had done the level normally first and knew about the gimmick, I would've had more trouble.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

So what does that level that changes terrain look like in Lunar Magic?

I'm assuming the terrain is all created twice in the same level and you just get warped at some point near that wall?
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 4 years ago Ah yes, something that was said 4 years ago perfectly describes a person in its entirety
It's perfectly reasonable to hold someone accountable for things they said years ago if they've made no effort to improve.

also i'd never actually seen that thread in full until just now, wow that was a mess

In terms of the level itself, it felt significantly weaker than, like, Something Else-quality to me, especially when you add in the seemingly-common confusion regarding the secret exit. The different types of Lava Lotuses were a neat idea, at the very least.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

By the way, I'm also one of the people who found the secret path immediately before completing the main level. I thought there'd be land down there or something.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

It was the second thing I tried, first was "maybe getting the end goal right away will actually not put you in the pit and give a different exit". :P
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago why do yall keep inviting yogui to these things, he was banned for a reason
We didn't, they submitted a level.

Also, their Talkhaus ban is of no importance here, JUMP 1/2 moved away from Talkhaus.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

What do you think "for a reason" means
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Lazy_ »

I'd like to believe that yogui has matured since then. He's been a part of the jump discord for 3 years now and he's always been friendly and courteous (very much unlike how he was 4 years ago). Otherwise, he wouldn't be there anymore.

I'm sorry if GlitchMr's post made it sound like we don't give a shit
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

so how about that jump half game
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Christopher Lloyd wrote:so how about that jump half game
can you please just let the topic progress naturally
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago This is probably all you need to know about yogui.
ah, good riddance
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: JUMP π/2π - Half a jump is still a yump

Post by Awoo »

I'm surprised raocow didn't instantly follow that ninji into the hole. It's what I would have done, too.

Though coming to this immediately after Super I could see why it's not the most instant impulse. C'est la vie.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Personally, I thought it was obvious there was something in that pit, but I guess that's just me. My train of thought was "Huh, a suspicious enemy falls down a hole the instant you see it, and you have no chance to bop it at all? HMMM, TOTALLY NOT ANYTHING DOWN THERE, NO SIR."

Had I played this before watching, I would've jumped down the pit FIRST, expecting there to be a 1-up or secret moon down there, and would've found the secret exit...

At the same time, it's also only a clear hint to those that pay attention to what certain groups do, and how they keep putting objects in areas deliberately, even if it looks useless. Might've helped to have a hint somewhere about it. Wouldn't have to be in this level- it'd need a message at the start saying "If you cannot find the secret exit right now, do not despair! Clear your mind, and move on. Perhaps you will find a clue later." or whatever, so people don't work themselves mad expecting they should have all the answers RIGHT NOW. But anyway...

Ideally, the best hint would've been being forced to do that at the point the level transforms- a Ninji falls into a pit, you are clearly told to jump in the pit, and if you make the connection to the Ninji at the start, great! If you don't, no need to worry!
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

i think a major problem is that the pit's covered up after the transformation

like, it forms a narrative, and that narrative ends up covering up the hint pretty dang heavily. on the flip side, if you expect the pit to be covered up so the ninji is saved, but it isn't and the ninji falls down there anyway ...

still probably not the best hint, but at least it isn't self-defeating
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

The hint becomes obvious once you realise no other area in the level has any place to hide a secret. I found it after my 2nd run though and that's only cause I autopiloted the first run and remembered nothing of the level afterwards, so I thought I missed like 20 paths which, as it turned out, none were missable.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
aterraformer

Re: JUMP 1.(0)/2.(0) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by aterraformer »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago
aterraformer wrote: 4 years ago
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone know if this game is console accurate? Would it work on a real console?

These levels are so great I feel like I'm robbing myself of something by watching an LP of this game instead of playing it myself.
It may or may not have some issues on Super NT but otherwise it works just fine.
Thank you for replying but I feel like the answer is "nobody knows" then?
Oh, sorry. It is. Plenty have completed it on console already. I beat it on SNES but still missing a few levels.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Enjl wrote: 4 years ago The hint becomes obvious once you realise no other area in the level has any place to hide a secret. I found it after my 2nd run though and that's only cause I autopiloted the first run and remembered nothing of the level afterwards, so I thought I missed like 20 paths which, as it turned out, none were missable.
i don't think that really works in the all-together product when you consider exactly how much asm has gone into it, not to mention the previous town had a hint for something that the player probably didn't realize was for the town itself

before rao actually remembered the trick i genuinely thought this might be a level you have to come back to later
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Validon98 wrote: 4 years agoSometimes levels just have enemies falling into pits for no good reason, how is this time any more special?
Well the game pretty well drowns you in lives and the pit's right at the start of the level so it's not like there's really much at stake other than whatever powerup you currently have.
ano0maly wrote: 4 years agoI guess the intent was "this rabbit is going down the hole to Wonderland, let's have Alice follow it" but I don't know if it's enough of a hint.
Yogui misinterpreted "rabbit hole" as "enormous (in comparison) pit" it seems.
J. J. W. Mezun

Re: JUMP 3/2-1 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago Rayman Origins, my man
I forgot 'bout the Rayman games.

Though, did those games have that amazing level design? Now that I remember, Legends did have

a level where you had to dodge leaping luchadors

. That's a gimmick I've certainly ne'er seen before.

This game's weird 'bout whether or not a level has or doesn't have a secret exit. The day & night level was begging for a secret exit but just had a moon not worth the effort. Meanwhile, this level was perfectly self-contained without a secret exit, but then just has a 2nd completely different level found by falling in a hole like a bad DKC secret.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Emral

Post by Emral »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago
Enjl wrote: 4 years ago The hint becomes obvious once you realise no other area in the level has any place to hide a secret. I found it after my 2nd run though and that's only cause I autopiloted the first run and remembered nothing of the level afterwards, so I thought I missed like 20 paths which, as it turned out, none were missable.
i don't think that really works in the all-together product when you consider exactly how much asm has gone into it, not to mention the previous town had a hint for something that the player probably didn't realize was for the town itself

before rao actually remembered the trick i genuinely thought this might be a level you have to come back to later
The asm doesn't change the level's layout, it only extends the logs and spawns the plants. And the return path is rather linear, while the "harder" path before the asmerry only leads to dragon coins in the long run. The rules are fairly consistent, and that's how I figured that one out.
A "coming back later" solution would've made sense in this game if an alternate path was indicated by a colour of switches you don't have yet. That seems to be a running theme with them.

Out of curiousity I checked the ledge at the far left with a cape, and all I found was a red beach koopa. Didn't know what was up with that and kinda expected a moon given this game's obsession with them. After asking the other jumpers it turned out to be the trigger for the level switch.

As for the town, I instantly knew it was for the town itself, but I never figured it out on my own. Then again I also never found the oasis yoshi.
Ryrir

Re: JUMP (1^2)/(2^1) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Ryrir »

I don't quite understand where raocow is coming from with the timers. Remember the VIP playthroughs where a very similar thing happened fairly often, and instead of coming to the conclusion that "Oh, the level author must have expected me to die after getting the midway point!" we collectively came to the conclusion that "Oh, the level author is using the timer as an actual thing and not just as decoration in the HUD without any purpose at all".

It's not like you were ever in any danger of actually timing out in any of these levels, Mr. the rao!

And thus concludes my daily blog post about how raocow's opinions are bad and how JUMPhalf is a perfect romhack without any flaws at all whatsoever and how dare you criticize it
Thank you for your attention :catplanet:
this is getting laundromatic
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Traditionally, the timer is only an actual thing if the level gimmick makes use of it. It's mostly just a deterrent from standing in one spot forever otherwise.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Christopher Lloyd wrote: 4 years ago Traditionally...
Agree to disagree with you there. The VIPs (released 2006-2011) did the exact same thing that JUMPhalf is doing here. As the single most influential series of SMW romhacks out there, surely they would be part of this "tradition" as well.
this is getting laundromatic
Emral

Post by Emral »

Ryrir wrote: 4 years ago
Christopher Lloyd wrote: 4 years ago Traditionally...
Agree to disagree with you there. The VIPs (released 2006-2011) did the exact same thing that JUMPhalf is doing here. As the single most influential series of SMW romhacks out there, surely they would be part of this "tradition" as well.
Pretty sure the original "traditionally" refers to "nintend-intended". Following a different tradition is fine and all but don't be surprised at the culture shock.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

World 3 is pretty big huh? Is it thay much bigger than world 3, or dies it just seem that way because it goes through 2 biomes, both being small, and one being a cramped forest?