(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
strongbadman

Re: JUMP 1.(0)/2.(0) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by strongbadman »

Validon98 wrote: 5 years ago There's the other one that was opened up after beating Arduous Harbor over in desert land, unless there's something more to Yoshi's House I'm not aware of?
It was indeed the desert warehouse. I think it's actually called desert warehouse?
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

GlitchMr wrote: 5 years ago JUMP 1/2 heavily bases on player's already existing knowledge of Super Mario World, even if it's just the Nintendo's game (not any other SMW hack). This really helped with being able to create levels like those, if the game had to teach the player how to play, it would be harder to put those difficult but creative levels.
raocow wrote: yeah like jumphalf is good because it leverages the fact that it is explicitely a romhack. THe game cannot exist in any other form than a romhack.
this is also why a lot of the "nintendo-styled" "like a sequel to smw" type smw hacks are generally not engaging to play
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

If the jump half team was making an indie game, it would look way different. Gimmicks would need to be fun and interesting in and of themselves. No references to smw, or exploitation of existing quirks, would exist. Some levels actually stand well on their own outside of the smw engine and could be "converted" into an indie game pretty well. However, a vast majority of levels make use of smw's incredible gameplay and diversity to explore creativity in the most janky, "romhacky" way possible. Of course, there's only like a couple people on the team who have the skills to make their own indie game lol (worldpeace is one of them, so cross your fingers for one day...)

Personally, I don't have a lot of interest in smw hacks that try to be indie games because, honestly, everyone that plays smw hacks is familiar with smw. I'd rather not have to "re-learn" smw with a flat easy levels in the first world in every romhack that tries to be a professional indie game. However, sure, if someone was actually making a real video game from scratch with their own characters then yeah, lots of this so called "jumpy" stuff wouldn't work at all.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP 3/2-1 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Ryrir »

In a way these puzzles that just require you to remember a specific mechanic are pretty neat. the only thing you need to do is remember how vanilla SMW worked and you're good to go.

though to be fair to raocow, remembering those mechanics in the context of a puzzle where you expect all sorts of shenanigans to be afoot is honestly not the easiest thing in the world! forest and trees and all that
Last edited by Ryrir 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
this is getting laundromatic
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

The weird thing with the fish oil level there is that the first half you can kinda just book through it pretty well, things are fairly lined up to just kinda go without much hesitation, and then the second half of the level is a lot more focused around waiting around for the right moments. It's a weird contrast and I don't know how to feel about it.

Day and night level could've been interesting to have it be a two exit thing but I guess it wasn't in the cards. I didn't even try doing it with normal jumps but it does seem easier to do daytime than nighttime I guess.

I didn't bother with the moon puzzle but I feel like I'd have not figured it out for awhile given the last level I did last night involved a puzzle that took me way too long to figure out and is of a similar "oh right that's a SMW quirk that exists, right, that one, uhuh"
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

gbreeze wrote: Personally, I don't have a lot of interest in smw hacks that try to be indie games because, honestly, everyone that plays smw hacks is familiar with smw. I'd rather not have to "re-learn" smw with a flat easy levels in the first world in every romhack that tries to be a professional indie game.
Same, that's why a lot of modern non-kaizo western hacks just bore me. They're too concerned with being like an official 2D Mario game but the thing is that official non-spinoff (so no DKC, YI or SPP), post-NSMB 2D Marios are the most boring, safe games ever
Image Image
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

This hack has already become celebrated or infamous (depending on your point of view) on account of its puzzles. raocow should take heart that his encounter with the first formidable puzzle of the hack (killing the spiny by hitting the note block and then normal bouncing off the note block as that is the sort of bouncing you do off noteblocks) was such a resounding success.
dont wanna jihad no more
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

For the moon puzzle, I was wondering if he could just step off the platform after hitting the turtle on it, land on the de-shelled turtle, and bounce to the one on the sprite-only blocks. It's what I would have tried, but then, I don't have a concrete sense of how high you bounce.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 5 years ago For the moon puzzle, I was wondering if he could just step off the platform after hitting the turtle on it, land on the de-shelled turtle, and bounce to the one on the sprite-only blocks. It's what I would have tried, but then, I don't have a concrete sense of how high you bounce.
You need the shell?
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 5 years ago For the moon puzzle, I was wondering if he could just step off the platform after hitting the turtle on it, land on the de-shelled turtle, and bounce to the one on the sprite-only blocks. It's what I would have tried, but then, I don't have a concrete sense of how high you bounce.
Yeah I did exactly this.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

hope y'all excited for tomorrow morning's video
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

is it happening?

it's happening isn't it
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: JUMP 3/2-1 - Half an "A"-button press is still an "A"-button press

Post by Awoo »

Does this mean that raocow unlocked something good? I certainly hope so! :catplanet:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

baby i was born ready
Image Image
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

what?

what's happening?

I am excited
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

Something undoubtedly pretty neat if my guess is accurate
:trans_pride:
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

if raocow's alluding to what i think he's alluding to...

tomorrow's video is going to be the end of world 2 :0

someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago Does anyone know if this game is console accurate? Would it work on a real console?

These levels are so great I feel like I'm robbing myself of something by watching an LP of this game instead of playing it myself.
It may or may not have some issues on Super NT but otherwise it works just fine.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

aterraformer wrote: 5 years ago
Ashan wrote: 5 years ago Does anyone know if this game is console accurate? Would it work on a real console?

These levels are so great I feel like I'm robbing myself of something by watching an LP of this game instead of playing it myself.
It may or may not have some issues on Super NT but otherwise it works just fine.
Thank you for replying but I feel like the answer is "nobody knows" then?
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Also I'm not ready for tomorrow's video so can you delay it to next week please and thanks?
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

who's ready for JUDP (Janked Up Demo Party) Cycloptic?

video games
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years agoSame, that's why a lot of modern non-kaizo western hacks just bore me. They're too concerned with being like an official 2D Mario game but the thing is that official non-spinoff (so no DKC, YI or SPP), post-NSMB 2D Marios are the most boring, safe games ever
Not to blaspheme, but I don't think Nintendo's ever been that good at level design, with possibly some levels in Super Mario World & most o' Super Mario 64 as exceptions — & that game still had some bad stars. ("Pyramid Puzzle" requires you to blind fall on platforms too low to see). Meanwhile, for every clever puzzle Super Mario World had, it had a slow autoscroller that was as fun as watching grass dry.

The ol' Mario games were great 'cause they introduced a lot o' the mechanics that we now take for granted in platformers & 'cause they had great physics in a time when a lot o' platformers had terrible physics. In Nintendo's defense, back then any platformer with level design that wasn't outright incompetent would look great. It's just that standards have risen as the video game world has evolved & the "New" Super Mario Bros. games are still doing the same ol' thing.

When people remember how great Super Mario Bros. 3 was they remember mechanics like the Hammer Bro suit or the cleverly designed enemies, like Boos or the Angry Sun. They probably don't remember the slow autoscroller where you hop from 1 cloud, then 'nother cloud, then a 3rd, & a 4th, & then a 5th — but this time we have a fire-spitting chomp! Many people remember Kuribo's Shoe, but few probably remember much 'bout the 1 level it's in & the fact that it's just a bunch o' Piranha Plants & Munchers strewn 'bout in the most generic way possible. ( Though, to be fair, I do like the pipe that takes you down into the sky o' 'nother outside area magically under the ground o' the 1st outside area ).

It's too bad, 'cause I would love to see a 2D platformer with AAA aesthetics with creative level design, but it seems like all the 2D platformers with clever level design are indie games with cliche pixelated graphics & the great-looking 2D platformers Nintendo makes, like Wario Land: Shake It! or the Donkey Kong Country Returns games have paint-by-#s level design.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Rayman Origins, my man
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Re: JUMP 5*10^-1 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Validon98 »

:demo:

PUNCHLINE is probably the first level where my thought was "hmm I dunno how to feel about this gimmick." It's a bit finicky doing those jumps where you have to fall off a cliff and get punched and hope you're not holding any directionals or you'll get flung into the abyss with no mercy.

Also, still not 100% sure what the text box at the end is referring to nor do I completely understand the hole zone over there.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Re: JUMP 5*10^-1 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Super Maks 64 »

For some reason the Demo sprite used is from ASMT and not A2MT and the Boon sprite has untranslated text left in

Sloppy work as usual JUMPers