(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Negative

Re: JUMP 1 over 2 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Negative »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago

also since demo's in the game and you have to enter boy bathrooms with her...

her alien psychology, physiology, and culture means that at least some facets of human gender and sex do not matter to her - or at least, matter to her far less than the fact that public women's restrooms tend to be grosser than men's

One of the signs clearly has arms, while the other one doesn't. It's quite simple, really.

Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Lazy_ »

Just like in the first game, there's a secret path in world 2 that contains a level about psychedelic mushrooms and leads to the first switch palace. Here are some other strange parallels between JUMP and JUMP1/2 (warning, spoilers):
- There are 7 main worlds plus postgame
- Both hacks have the same storehouse placement (aside from the fact that there's no Supply Depot in the Center equivalent in JUMP1/2)
- In world 3, there's a level where all sprites are underwater but Mario isn't in
- In world 3, the secret exit of a Jolpe that leads to the second switch palace
- World 6 starts with a storehouse, followed by a red level
- In world 6, the secret exit of a ghost house leads to the final switch palace (which is half platforming half puzzle)
- IMPETUOUS ATHLETIC and its sequel are both on a secret path in world 7
- There's a lengthy castle level before Bowser's Castle
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago

also since demo's in the game and you have to enter boy bathrooms with her...

it's Mario cosplaying as Demo so everything's okay

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

it's called cinematic parallels lazy

Super Maks 64 wrote:

it's Mario cosplaying as Demo so everything's okay

is mario even real

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Lazy_ wrote: 4 years ago Just like in the first game, there's a secret path in world 2 that contains a level about psychedelic mushrooms and leads to the first switch palace. Here are some other strange parallels between JUMP and JUMP1/2 (warning, spoilers):
- There are 7 main worlds plus postgame
- Both hacks have the same storehouse placement (aside from the fact that there's no Supply Depot in the Center equivalent in JUMP1/2)
- In world 3, there's a level where all sprites are underwater but Mario isn't in
- In world 3, the secret exit of a Jolpe that leads to the second switch palace
- World 6 starts with a storehouse, followed by a red level
- In world 6, the secret exit of a ghost house leads to the final switch palace (which is half platforming half puzzle)
- IMPETUOUS ATHLETIC and its sequel are both on a secret path in world 7
- There's a lengthy castle level before Bowser's Castle
Were any of these intentional?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Parama wrote: 4 years ago also today's level is noncanon as everyone knows mario is a trans woman
yeah but that's when her name is marisa and also later reimu
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I liked the bathroom editing transition and the Unedited Footage of a Bear reference
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

strongbadman wrote: 4 years agoWere any of these intentional?
No (except maybe the

impetuous athletic

one)
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Now we need a level where mario holds it in for so long that he's barely able to walk afterwards, but still needs to go.
ImageImage
Paragraph

Re: JUMP 1.(0)/2.(0) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Paragraph »

The reaction at the end has nothing to do with silver; it's what happens when you put zinc (Zn) into sodium hydroxide (NaOH). The zinc loses electrons and gives them to the water/hydroxide, forming hydrogen and becoming a zincate (ZnO22-).

but what does it mean
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Looks like you unlocked a shortcut to World 3.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I'll admit that when I saw "INEXPLICABLE GIMMICK" in Arduous Harbor without having checked the authors, I was gonna be in for another M/M level because I'm pretty sure that was also used for the start of Manky Bridge.

So far though every gimmick stage has actually been pretty fun, and the puzzles in the green switch palace and Yoshi's house were neat, though it brings worries of the future.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Implo

Post by Implo »

Wow, the gimmick for green switch palace was very creative. raocow just ran through the whole level solving all rooms super easily. I had much more problems and the whole level took me more than 30 min.

Also thanks for solving Yoshi house puzzle. I couldn't understand this hint about observing koopa at all.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

I feel like the chemical formula at the end of the green switch might be referencing something similar to this video, where the dude turns a penny into ""silver"" using zinc, and then even into ""gold"" later on. One of the main goals of alchemy was to turn worthless metals into gold, and (without doing any actual research admittedly) I feel like they might have experienced this reaction even back in those days...

Last edited by Ryrir 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
this is getting laundromatic
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

It's up to you, but I'd like to see you explore the warehouse at the start of next video
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

wait was it bigger than what we saw ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

There's the other one that was opened up after beating Arduous Harbor over in desert land, unless there's something more to Yoshi's House I'm not aware of?
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

The message box at the beginning of Arduous Harbor is indeed a reference to Manky Bridge. Actually, the whole level is a reference to both Manky Bridge and Perilous Pier; it even uses the same naming gimmick (there's two more levels in the hack with similar naming gimmicks as well, funny enough).

Also, the disco shell is in fact slower than usual, I placed sprite-only invisible water blocks on the disco's path so that it would be easier to jump on. I found that the high jumps, combined with the fast disco, made it harder to traverse, so slowing the disco down helped. Also, a few people have pointed out how it's funny that MiracleWater made half of this level when the level gimmick itself is using literal "miracle water" to jump high (this was unintentional though, we just wanted to make a level that combined gimmicks with Perilous Pier and Manky Bridge).
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i'm sure glad i decdied to watch this SMW hack and not most of SUPER
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Does anyone know if this game is console accurate? Would it work on a real console?

These levels are so great I feel like I'm robbing myself of something by watching an LP of this game instead of playing it myself.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

raocow was very giddy, and also very astute in solving the puzzles. The Yoshi's house puzzle (architect was Lazy) took him just 1 try to understand!

chemistry stuff:
Also, having recently done the electroplating lab Ryrir posted, I feel qualified to use google: "Zinc plating, a process also known as galvanization, is the deposition of a thin layer of aluminum onto a metal component to provide a protective layer. The outer surface of the zinc coating oxidizes to form zinc oxide, which results in a matte silver-colored finish."

Essentially, neutral zinc starts off as a solid, and when it becomes Zn2+, it goes into solution (read: goes away), and becomes replaced with the metal being used to plate the zinc. (I'm not sure about this part) Perhaps the zinc oxide provides the silver color, and the hydrogen gas leftover is just there to pick up electrons from the Zn.
Mosts Awards:
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

i wonder if jump design would still feel like jump design if its was allowed to become its own standalone game

i mean you can certainly transfer the humor and the fantastic mechanic use design and stuff, but

if you remove the mechanics from the context of smw and thus how they'd be used normally, what all would be lost?

i guess something like silver coins spawning with a jump when a silver p is pressed is something that could be established in earlier levels and then the impact of using that mechanic for a puzzle level later on could still be there, but would it still be as strong? and would that be all that doable for other mechanics?

probably not, but maybe that doesn't really matter all that much - after all, that sort of thing is probably lost on most people who play this who aren't massive smw nerds, and i've seen people like that really enjoy this

i guess one thing that's kinda funny about that thought is that, like, the standard "just regular ol' levels in world 1!" start you see in so many other romhacks would be more necessary for such a game, because of all the context it has to build on its own
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

JUMP 1/2 heavily bases on player's already existing knowledge of Super Mario World, even if it's just the Nintendo's game (not any other SMW hack). This really helped with being able to create levels like those, if the game had to teach the player how to play, it would be harder to put those difficult but creative levels.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah like jumphalf is good because it leverages the fact that it is explicitely a romhack. THe game cannot exist in any other form than a romhack.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage