(shouting)

Re: Donkey Kong Country (La-Banana)(The Great Kongo Bongo Civil War)(LP Subforum Thread one thou- er, make that 999)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Donkey Kong Country (La-Banana)(The Great Kongo Bongo Civil War)(LP Subforum Thread one thou- er, make that 999)

Post by Leet »

I don't really find any of the DKC1 worlds memorable, they don't have themes to me at all. They're just Levels. I'm really looking forward to the 2 LP because it's such an enormous step up and we'll get to witness that.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

I thought I noticed that the secret was indicated because the bottom scaffold pole was missing, but it looks like all the corners are like that. So no banana for you dkc.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

• Manic Mincers: Stomp a Krusha with Rambi
  • Misty Mine: After the Star Barrel, to the left of an oil drum
Next time, I get to do some cleanup, I think!
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Billowing Non-Toxic Mist

Super Maks 64 wrote:Today raocow beat the 4th world of Brutal Mario
The World! Stop, Time!
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Mata Hari wrote: 5 years ago Stop! The Hammer, Time!
can we make this the op instead of rocky's post
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

The secrets in this game are downright terrible, both in how arbitrarily they're "hidden" and how mediocre the reward is. It's not fun or interesting to jump in random holes and rub barrels against every wall in the level, looking for an extra life. I would never consider those exclamation marks worth my time.

raocow, if you don't have the secrets memorized for future DK games, will you decline to go for 100%?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years agoI'm surprised at the number of people that don't remember anything about Chimp Caverns. Everyone must have collectively blocked Platform Perils from their memory as a coping mechanism.
I actually find it more memorable than the previous world. The only levels I ever remember from the previous one are the first level (which bleeds together with Blackout Basement in my memories), the boss, and the minecart level which I actually mistakenly thought was in Chimp Caverns.
Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years agoraocow, if you don't have the secrets memorized for future DK games, will you decline to go for 100%?
If he wants to play the entire game then he has no choice since DKC2 and 3 both lock the secret worlds behind bonus coins. (Though DKC3 also has the banana bird stuff as well which is optional.)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Finally finished marathoning through this series. I was having a quite busy and stressful time when the LP started so I needed to play catch-up.

I didn't know (or forgot) that the fuel tanks in Tanked Up Trouble indicated how much fuel each drum contained. I just got the tanks instinctively and tried to remember about how much a given tank gave. I also never realized that you can use DK barrels instead of TNT barrels to take out black drums.

By the way, there was a warp in the other rail platform level (Trick Track Trek). This was also retained in the GBA version.

Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years agoraocow, if you don't have the secrets memorized for future DK games, will you decline to go for 100%?
If he wants to play the entire game then he has no choice since DKC2 and 3 both lock the secret worlds behind bonus coins.
The bonuses in 2 and 3 are generally more sensibly-placed anyway.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

Yeah it's definitely won't be an issue with 2+3, you're actually expected to find them because again, enormous jump in quality.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I think one of the reasons Chimp Caverns feels so anti-climactic as a final area beyond just the boring map is that each previous world introduced at least one or two new level types, whereas caves are something we've seen in pretty much every area thus far, so we're basically ending with the most ho-hum theme possible at this point. What's more, a cave theme was already done in world 2--all right, that was technically "mines", which are a different tileset and music, but caves and mines are used interchangeably in both worlds (and, for that matter, elsewhere, as the mine tileset is basically used as a cave in places, and the cave tileset is used for a literal mine in Elevator Antics)--so it really is retreading old ground while bringing nothing new to the table. A decidedly curious decision, in any event.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Huh, I remember Platform Perils being longer and harder than that. Guess youth really does play a factor.

Also, in actually looking at and thinking about it, it's kinda creepy that Donkey Kong has a pinup poster of his one female friend in his house.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Straight up going to say that when I was a kid, I got duped by the fake credits. When the game takes control from you, I figured it would be a fake out, but I figured it would lead to the rest of the world. Should've known they'd go for that third phase deal, but nope. Just wasn't the brightest kid back in the day. Oops.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

So, since the lp ended I should say what the thread title gimmick was:

There wasn't one, I just made the title stranger every day to make it less likely that it's the DKC thread, because this was made the LP thread without my consent, so I decided to have some fun with it instead.

Here are the official titles:
  • LP Subforum Thread 1000
  • LP Subforum Thread 999
  • Re: LP Subforum Thread 999
  • Re: Re: LP Subforum Thread 999
  • Re: Re: Sticky: LP Subforum Thread 999
  • Re: Re: Sticky: [Poll] LP Subforum Thread 999
  • Preview: VIP & Wall & Alaska Mix 5: the re-LP
  • La-Mulana - Crystal and Stone Beetle and Bone
  • La-Mulana - Cutthroats
  • ˛
That last title was supposed to be the peak absurdity after which I planned the few next titles which would be gradually more normal
  • Things raocow Has Featured In
  • My Minecraft LP
  • Re: Re: Sticky: [Moved->] [Poll] LP Subforum Thread 999
  • Re: Re: Sticky: [Moved->] [Poll] LP Subforum Thread 999 ;this one would actually have a poll this time
  • Re: Re: Sticky: [Moved->] [Poll] [Unread post] LP Subforum Thread 999
  • [Closed] Donkey Kong Country
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

It's neat that there is unique animations for DK and Diddy, just for the end.
And rao, biting is common when animals playfight. Watch some lion cubs.

Anyways, this video sums up this entire adventure nicely:
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

• Loopy Lights: In the entryway at the very start
  • Platform Perils: After several scaffolds with Armies on them, at the bottom of a descending platform
  • Defeat King K. Rool (watch out hes high tier)
And five that you'll be getting if you're a real completionist like rao cow:
  • Visit Cranky's Hut in every world
  • Collect all the KONG letters in every level (rao doesn't actually have this because it only counts if you collect all four in one run dragon-coin-style)
  • Visit every Bonus Room in the game (rao DOES have this one)
  • Complete Funky's Fishing challenges in every world
  • Complete Candy's Dance Studio challenges in every world
And that's a wrap for all the scrapbook pictures in the game! They're back in DKC2 but I don't know that game at all so oops.

Anyway, did you like fighting Necky? What if you fought TWO NECKYS?????? because that's the boss of Chimp Caverns in the port! They attack from both sides of the screen, and once one's down, the other goes hyper mode. Otherwise, they work the same as before.
K. Rool, on the other hand, is completely unchanged. But after the credits roll, you actually get a new cutscene where everyone invades his boat like jerks.
He kicks everyone off and threatens to blow up the island if they don't leave, and Cranky whines because it's a cheap way to set up the sequel or something, everyone laughs

A few final notes: Once you beat the port, at least, you can go back to the hoard in Jungle Hijinxs and force Donkey and Diddy into fits of celebration whenever you want! Hooray!
And the last weird note for a weird port: after you defeat Really Gnawty in Gorilla Glacier, you can return to the treehouse in Jungle Hijinxs to find Very Gnawty stomping around in it. After you enter, he realizes you're there and escapes, and you never see him again.

With all that said... one last link for the road.

That's great.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Leet

Post by Leet »

"Lasagna cake" is just lasagna. Lasagna is already a cake, just made of pasta instead of pastry.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago [*]Collect all the KONG letters in every level (rao doesn't actually have this because it only counts if you collect all four in one run dragon-coin-style)
The rareware character designers looked at this and said "this is normal and fine, i definitely want to show everyone this picture"
Awoo
~wan~wan

Sticky: Dong Expand Kong Country (La-Banana)(Llama-llama)(The Great Kongo Bongo War of Northern Aggression)(LP Subforum

Post by Awoo »

Mata Hari wrote: 5 years agoTiddy Kong
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The GBC port adds just one extra level and a few minigames. Some of the music is changed to stuff borrowed from Donkey Kong Land and the mechanics and even levels are noticeably different here and there. It's weird.

The GBA port is closer to the SNES classic, has different minigames from GBC, and has neat extra modes. I would recommend the GBA port of DKC1 for those that played SNES games as I think it stands well on its own as a game. (The ports of sequels progressively strip things down.)
Leet

Post by Leet »

Wait, there's a GBC port that's a distinct thing from Land? What the hell I never heard about this in my life
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I think Nintendo intended for you to find all the secrets. They probably just intended for you to buy the Official Nintendo Player's GuideTM to do it.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Wait, there's a GBC port that's a distinct thing from Land? What the hell I never heard about this in my life
Sounds like a good time to plug a video!

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)